Martial contract thread | Romano: Club confident Martial will sign fresh terms

vangagal

No chance he'll be made our fifth highest earner. Think he'd get another 25k on what he is paid right now at most.
Whats he on right now btw? I'm just going by that Romano's reports. I hope we dont pay him that kind of money. Even Lingard with 100k just too much for his kind of performances.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Whats he on right now btw? I'm just going by that Romano's reports. I hope we dont pay him that kind of money. Even Lingard with 100k just too much for his kind of performances.
I'd guess about 60-75k. He won't be paid more than Lingard or Fellaini after a new contract anyway - and definitely not 190k. Our top earners are Sanchez, Pogba, De Gea and Lukaku.

el3mel

Great move. Either he proves himself or we hold all the cards when we try to sell him. We'll be under control of his situation.

Last edited:

Greck

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good to see mediocrity being handsomely rewarded.
Yep, the club should use its common sense and let the former Golden Boy winner leave for free. After all, he didn’t perform in the second half of last season.

Greck

Yep, the club should use its common sense and let the former Golden Boy winner leave for free. After all, he didn’t perform in the second half of last season.
Problem is the player being caught in the middle of a political struggle between Ceo and manager. Then there's the fanboy wars between Jose loyalist and Martial fc and you have an agenda clusterfeck of a mess. Personally want him to stay mind so I'm not totally bias-free

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's just a weird situation, I give kudos to the board for sticking by the player who was one of the most productive player last season prior to Sanchez arrival but it's just a strange and negative way of diminishing your manager's influence in front of his players, especially one he's had an issue with for some time. The speculation that Mourinho wanted to sell Martial is fairly well-known, and the fact that the board is focused on getting him to sign a new long term deal has potential to complicate the relationship even more. If I was Martial, I'd go somewhere else and start fresh in a new environment.

pascell

It's just a weird situation, I give kudos to the board for sticking by the player who was one of the most productive player last season prior to Sanchez arrival but it's just a strange and negative way of diminishing your manager's influence in front of his players, especially one he's had an issue with for some time. The speculation that Mourinho wanted to sell Martial is fairly well-known, and the fact that the board is focused on getting him to sign a new long term deal has potential to complicate the relationship even more. If I was Martial, I'd go somewhere else and start fresh in a new environment.
A manager actively looking to sell a player and a manager allowing a player to leave that wishes to, are two completely different things.

FrantikChicken

The key word in that sentence is speculation. I wish people would stop believing every made up story they read

Snash93

Supports
Liverpool
Under the right manager and system, he can be a gem of a player

Posh Red

Mourinho named Martial after the Burnley game as one of the players he was sorry couldn't play. Seems like a weird thing to say about a player he allegedly doesn't want around anymore. Especially when there were plenty of other players he could have named instead.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The key word in that sentence is speculation. I wish people would stop believing every made up story they read
I used the word speculation for a reason, but is it really out of the realm of possibilities that Mourinho has been looking to get rid of Martial?

bludsucker

$11m per annum works out to about £8.5m. That’s about 160k a week. This will be including performance bonuses and what not. So not too bad considering we are paying messi lingod around 130k a week. Makes sense to tie him down to new terms even if the manager wants rid of him. We will be in a good bargaining position if and when we sell him.

Greck

$11m per annum works out to about £8.5m. That’s about 160k a week. This will be including performance bonuses and what not. So not too bad considering we are paying messi lingod around 130k a week. Makes sense to tie him down to new terms even if the manager wants rid of him. We will be in a good bargaining position if and when we sell him.
No we won't. We don't give players above market wages if the intention is originally to sell them because the high wages actively discourage potential buyers

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
While martial is an exciting asset. United are a big club with a long term vision.

You can't set an example of players throwing tantrums and ask to leave, give him a bumper contract to lure him back in. It'll set a bad precedent. We might bend our knees for a very special unreplaceable player (ronaldo, rooney at his prime, de gea, even pogba for marketing and image purposes). But if we give every players that wanted to leave a massive raise soon we'll have a bloated squad we cant offload, and we had many in the past, even now at our squad (jones, smailing, darmian, young). While theyre not actually earning hundreds of thousands they're paid more than they actually worth

bludsucker

No we won't. We don't give players above market wages if the intention is originally to sell them because the high wages actively discourage potential buyers
I am not saying we will sell him. But if we sell him then tying him down to a new contract puts us in a better bargaining position. The wages don’t seem too high to me. Certainly not above market wages and not big enough to scare off potential buyers. If say bayern come in for him and pay £65-70m, don’t think they will be put off by 155-160k per week wages.

Reactions: Penna

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I quite like Martial, I think he's got a ridiculous amount of talent and this time last season I would quite happily have seen him sign a new contract. I do think he'll end up being a good player but I don't think he's looked particularly interested whenever he's played since January. Not sure he's done enough to earn a new contract for me, at least not for the money reported.

Good value move for both parties, we get a good resale value and Martial gets security, can't imagine he'd sign unless we were willing to offer him some game time and I hope this encourages him to show some interest when he gets played. Fingers crossed he can push on and become the player many of us hoped.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I am not saying we will sell him. But if we sell him then tying him down to a new contract puts us in a better bargaining position. The wages don’t seem too high to me. Certainly not above market wages and not big enough to scare off potential buyers. If say bayern come in for him and pay £65-70m, don’t think they will be put off by 155-160k per week wages.
Not sure you're right about that. Wages that high are what only Utd would pay to an inconsistent young player. And if there's a big transfer fee, high wages will be even worse.

Raven

Hmm, bit high.

This has all the hallmarks of Ed really being a fan of his and trying his best to keep him.
Turns out he has a functioning set of eyes and can see the ridiculous talent he possesses, funny that.

Bola

I'm afraid to say that I have given up on the lad.

A great start to his United career, but he has failed to progress from a hot prospect to a world class striker. Could that still happen? It's certainly possible, but I'm afraid that I just don't see any signs of it at the moment. He is failing to capitalise on his chances in the team, makes limited contributions to matches and just seems to have a negative body language.

I'd rather we look to sell in Jan if nothing has changed, so I see a contract offer as the wrong step. Yes it may boost his resale value, but I don't think it will motivate him to kick on and improve at this club, while it sets a precedent of rewarding mediocracy.

I would of course be very happy to be proved wrong and the lad makes the big time with us.

FrantikChicken

I used the word speculation for a reason, but is it really out of the realm of possibilities that Mourinho has been looking to get rid of Martial?
No, but it's absolutely no more likely than Mourinho wanting to keep Martial with a new contract. Just because a young player isn't getting played inthe regular doesn't mean that the manager doesn't believe in them.

Water Melon

Suspending the talks by Martial is a very clear message. He does not think that he will strive while Jose remains the manager. I doubt Woody would allow him to leave for free, doubt Martial would sign a new long-term contract even if offered 180k weekly wages. Tricky situation for us, fantastic opportunity for the clubs interested in Martial.

Canagel

It's amazing that rival fans see it this way but our own fans don't. Martial is probably the only player we have that strikes fear into teams when he is running full pelt at defenders. Nobody else has that impact You're not the only fan to say something like this. We saw what his potential could be in 2015/16 and that was only potential, not his top level. Since then he doesn't play with the same confidence. A fit and happy Martial is still our best attacker.

Micky Targaryen

This very statement couldn't be repeated enough on here, it's beginning to sound like a myth. To the point where I just want to see this saga end ASAP and Martial to leave to another club, just so we can finally determine whether he can flourish in another "system".

Ashish Negi

I'm afraid to say that I have given up on the lad.

A great start to his United career, but he has failed to progress from a hot prospect to a world class striker. Could that still happen? It's certainly possible, but I'm afraid that I just don't see any signs of it at the moment. He is failing to capitalise on his chances in the team, makes limited contributions to matches and just seems to have a negative body language.

I'd rather we look to sell in Jan if nothing has changed, so I see a contract offer as the wrong step. Yes it may boost his resale value, but I don't think it will motivate him to kick on and improve at this club, while it sets a precedent of rewarding mediocracy.

I would of course be very happy to be proved wrong and the lad makes the big time with us.

He can only become World class striker when he will be played as a striker not as LM or double LWB

gajender

Aren't Mirror quoting Sun for this and aren't Sun dodgy as a credible source but people will believe what they want to believe despite being fan of Martial I am quite indifferent whether he stays or leave.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Jack Rathborn, sounds legit. Either way, I can't be bothered. Think he needs a new club.

Bola

He can only become World class striker when he will be played as a striker not as LM or double LWB
True. But he's not taking his chances when played there, nor does he seem to be achieving much on the wing/ as an inside forward when he is starting (positions he can play)

Lukakku is scoring goals and working for the team, it's up to Martial to show that he can dislodge him

Reactions: Penna

Judas

Open to offers
I'm interested to see how much he'll play with Rashford's suspension, but it's been basically a year since I was impressed by him on the pitch. Bit tired of waiting for him to be the player everyone wants him to be, he ain't getting any younger.