Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

If you ignored all context, perhaps. Though you are being deliberately obtuse of course.
Exactly.

Funnily enough for a performance thread people who made their views clear in the relevant thread have turned up to do anything but judge his performances on their merits.

How many La Lifa wingers have 7 goal contributions in 10 games? Oh yea, Farmers league though we get shown up by them every time we play them in Europe from Madrid to Vigo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Well exactly - I barely expected him to even be a regular starter by now after 18months out and moving to a new country

but after a few sub appearances he's now starting every game and hit 7 G+A in just 8 starts and 3 sub appearances

You have to be pretty blinkered not to admit it's an impressive start

And if La Liga isn't PL level (I think it is) then at very worst it's the 2nd best league in the world
I already did in my response to you. I’m just saying let’s not get carried away, he’s just started his journey

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Full performance:

His shooting technique is insane.
I have no idea what position they are playing him in. Fotmob says he started on the left. Seems to swap left/right or a roaming 2nd striker? But looks like his best performance since he got there. Could be finding his feet after a few months of adapting which is normal.

cafecillos

Great goal. Also, when mentioning his stats, people need to remember that 2 of his goals were utterly worthless, as he scored them in a 0-12 win against an amateur bunch of mates which was at the time dead last in a league that has almost 500 clubs in leagues above.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
His shooting technique is insane.
I have no idea what position they are playing him in. Fotmob says he started on the left. Seems to swap left/right or a roaming 2nd striker? But looks like his best performance since he got there. Could be finding his feet after a few months of adapting which is normal.
From a few of their games I’ve seen so far, he’s been swapped between left and right, usually as a 2nd half sub, although I suspect he will start more if he begins to score like yesterday.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
From a few of their games I’ve seen so far, he’s been swapped between left and right, usually as a 2nd half sub, although I suspect he will start more if he begins to score like yesterday.
He's started all but 3 games, and that was just 3 of the first 4 he was a sub. He's been playing almost the entire game, every game since October started.

With his shooting technique though, I'd really think he should be forced to adapt as a CF. Don't think he can be all that as a wide player. He has a decent cross and shot from range but you need a lot more as a wide player, ideally you'd keep him closer to the goal and central where he can always just get a quick shot off as that's by far his best trait.

Strelok

He's started all but 3 games, and that was just 3 of the first 4 he was a sub. He's been playing almost the entire game, every game since October started.

With his shooting technique though, I'd really think he should be forced to adapt as a CF. Don't think he can be all that as a wide player. He has a decent cross and shot from range but you need a lot more as a wide player, ideally you'd keep him closer to the goal and central where he can always just get a quick shot off as that's by far his best trait.
Tbh I was asking the same question why they didn't play him as a striker when I saw their strikers. They're awful. My bet is their wingers and playmaker are even worse that's why :D

Joking aside as I said in a previous post they had like only two ways to attack either they cross or give him the ball and expect him to do smth with it. Given what people say about them they usually play a bit Tony Pulis like I think so no surprise they'd play him a bit everywhere as the source of creativity and also goals now. He's easily their best player on the ball after all. If so imo his stats are even more impressive given none create for him but he has to create chances for himself and also his teammates.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Considering how much football he missed hes doing really well

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It'd be interesting if his performances for Getafe prompt Madrid, Barca or perhaps Atletico to make a bid. Think he'd suit any of those teams.
He would be absolutely sensational at Madrid. Think they would match his style the best. The irony is he would arguably fit them better than Mbappe too as he favours the right side. I do hope that if he can’t come back here, he gets a move like that and shows his talent at the top level. Won’t make it any less painful from a Utd perspective though!

Trequarista10

He would be absolutely sensational at Madrid. Think they would match his style the best. The irony is he would arguably fit them better than Mbappe too as he favours the right side. I do hope that if he can’t come back here, he gets a move like that and shows his talent at the top level. Won’t make it any less painful from a Utd perspective though!
Agreed. £100m would help ease the pain though!

NotQuiteManc

Based on the highlight, he and the team played well, or at least better than the last a couple of times I watched them played. Before this game, the team was not very cohesive and just played long balls all game, and even an unfit Greenwood looks much better than most if not all of the Getafe players. Even Ipswich I think plays much better football than Getafe, and easier and more fun to watch.

In the latest highlight, he played more one touch passes and moved more in line with other players and looks much fitter.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Unbelievable that people are belittling La Liga now because Greenwood is doing well there. Martial done worse there and still playing for us.

Let's give credits where it's due, he is doing great in La Liga considering he was out for 18 months.

Plus he doesn't speak the language -- surely that's got to be pretty difficult to integrate and gelling with the team having played like 10 games only. Yet he has had 7 goal contributions.

Two years and a bit ago, the kid was worth over 100 million quid. And yet folks here think he's barely Championship level. Its not like we have not seen his potential a couple fo years ago. Or at the Academy.

He probably thinks he is barely 50% there.

arnoldS

Call him back in january. He is levels above everyone else we have on the right side.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Call him back in january. He is levels above everyone else we have on the right side.
Too early. They will need to create a landing strip for him first. Lots of PR activities including interviews first.

I think Arnold was about to before someone leaked it to the media before he got a chance.

Next summer would be safer.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I already did in my response to you. I’m just saying let’s not get carried away, he’s just started his journey
Yes it's just a few months and he has to do it consistently, but I'm just saying it's a better start than we could have expected

arnoldS

Too early. They will need to create a landing strip for him first. Lots of PR activities including interviews first.

I think Arnold was about to before someone leaked it to the media before he got a chance.

Next summer would be safer.
Yeah I doubt he will come back that early but it would be great. Let's hope the PR machine starts running soon and everything will be ready for the summer.

Strelok

Interesting. I wonder if the abuse would dwindle as quickly in England.
Probably not I think. Some Liga fans said it's not a big story there and not many know about. And in England most fans from most teams really hate us and the media as well. Tbh I don't think that would affect him but the club probably would fold again under the pressure.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Him coming back here or not is still up in the air I reckon... Who knows, maybe he won't want to?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Stick to performances please in this thread - take it elsewhere for comments like this.
Agree.

What he’s doing there is so impressive - and when you consider he’s doing it in that Getafe team it’s even more impressive.

We’ve seen many times that when attacking players are put into a far worse team they often struggle, but Greenwood is excelling in a set up not ideal for a forward.

He’s proving himself to be a top player.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Interesting. I wonder if the abuse would dwindle as quickly in England.
Definitely not as quickly and the media would also have a field day whereas the Spanish press don't seem that bothered, it's something he would have to deal with and it could also affect his performance

afrocentricity

Definitely not as quickly and the media would also have a field day whereas the Spanish press don't seem that bothered, it's something he would have to deal with and it could also affect his performance
Yeah they would as it's United, but for how long? News cycle is short over here too... It would either break him in the first few months or he would front it out and it would subside to a large degree....

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It'd be interesting if his performances for Getafe prompt Madrid, Barca or perhaps Atletico to make a bid. Think he'd suit any of those teams.
I was just going to say this. They are the only clubs that are going to give him the same kind of wages as he’d get here on his next deal. He’s going to stay in the game and if he keeps this up it’ll be a top team. Hopefully it’s back here if he’s going to fulfil his clear promise

Yorke to Cole

Like you have said I the past, going on loan was the best option (especially as we at the time had poor leadership, which is the process of being changed as the CEO has thankfully gone).

United itself, needs to be a more stable environment to work in and play for. The whole operations department needs reinvigorating. If that happens then the club will be in a much better place to make clear decisions without the influence of "leaks, bad faith TV presenters and opportunistic journalism."

In relating to performances of the individual,it is the mental strength that is the most imperative.

Getafe have already played at the Santiago Bernabau (before Greenwood’s move), but their next games with you would anticipate a similar atmosphere is the Ramon Sanchez-Pizjuan Stadium at Sevilla (16th December) followed immediately at the Atletico at the Civitas Metropolitan Stadium, on the 19th December.

Those 2 matches will be a real test that Greenwood may be slightly apprehensive about, but I think will ultimately relish. They will represent a real opportunity to display his talents. I am sure that his teammates at Getafe will support and perhaps some at United will also send him goodwill messages (we saw that with Amad).

Getafe visit the Nou Camp on the 25th February and by then he could well be flying.

Regardless, of what anyone else thinks, I'm really excited for him and sincerely hopes he enjoys the chance to play on those stages.

TempusFugit

You’re talking like Antony hasn’t put ones in the top corner a few times.
Greenwood is just a much better player. How many times per game does Antony attempt his finesee shots? He fails to even get them on target 8 times out of 10. Give Greenwood that many attempts and you're getting punished harshly. In fact if we swapped Antony for Greenwood right now our attack would be much more dangerous. Antony is an average at best finisher, Greenwood is one of the best. Don't want to get on Antony's case here but he isn't anywhere near Greenwood in terms of footballing abilities.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Greenwood is just a much better player. How many times per game does Antony attempt his finesee shots? He fails to even get them on target 8 times out of 10. Give Greenwood that many attempts and you're getting punished harshly. In fact if we swapped Antony for Greenwood right now our attack would be much more dangerous. Antony is an average at best finisher, Greenwood is one of the best. Don't want to get on Antony's case here but he isn't anywhere near Greenwood in terms of footballing abilities.
Agreed. Greenwood is more versatile than Antony, despite being a few years younger.

Alemar

Agreed. Greenwood is more versatile than Antony, despite being a few years younger.
He is quicker and better shooter of the ball than Antony (in fact, better both at long shots and finishing).

LDUred

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Real with Bellingham for nothing.

He knows the press will crucify him back in the UK and whatever bad press he gets in Spain won't bother him because it will go over his head.

That will be a tough one to stomach, especially if he then turns himself into a star with RM, who basically get a world class talent for zilch.

afrocentricity

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Real with Bellingham for nothing.

He knows the press will crucify him back in the UK and whatever bad press he gets in Spain won't bother him because it will go over his head.

That will be a tough one to stomach, especially if he then turns himself into a star with RM, who basically get a world class talent for zilch.
It is what it is.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He 100% should be a CF. People forget pre-Ronaldo he was playing CF that year and looked fantastic. And then we brought in CR7 and put him back on the right and it all went to shit

Status
Not open for further replies.