2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

MasterDarcy

Mount is another in that mould. The van de Beek, McTominay, Sabitzer build. Ten Hag seems to like central midfielders who don’t want the ball.
"Don't want the ball".

The EPL is the best league in the world. The aforementioned midfielders have played 100s of matches.

People saying stuff like "they don't want the ball", etc, is just lazy analysis and it's just mirroring the opinions and views of others.

If you think McTominay doesn't want the ball watch him play for Scotland. Especially in the Norway match when he dominated Odengaard and had a 97% pass success rate.

Last edited:

Carried on his pre season form and fills me with the same dread as when he plays for England. Drifts about doing nothing for the most part. What was most frustrating was his positioning getting in Bruno's way and leaving Casemiro exposed.

What the hell was he playing at jogging onto Onana's very good pass at minute 10 then flailing his arms when he lost it.

zaafi

No one's crying but thanks for showing concern. Do you have a comment to make about Mount's performance in the Mason Mount performance thread or are you more concerned about defending him against people who rightly point out he was shite?
It wasn't a good performance at all, and if he plays like this every match, then it's an awful transfer and he'll be rightfully labelled a flop. However, it is one game. Why can't you support your own players that we recently bought? I mean, what's the problem? Okay, maybe you didn't want him to begin with, but why are you talking so much shit about him instead of hoping he plays well?

Personally, I know he's much better than this, but we'll see how he performs the next games. In this particular game, I'm not concerned because the entire team played awful, except AWB. For some reason, you're only commenting on Mount's performance. Do you not think he will be better when everyone plays better?

El Jefe

I said it all through preseason that making him an attacking 8 alongside Bruno would be a bad idea.

I was actually in favour of signing Mount as I like him as a player but in this system won't work in my opinion.

I believe in the long term he can be a Bruno replacement but in the short term he should be a backup in the AM and wide positions. He especially has value in the big games in a similar way Park did.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did what was expected, namely being pretty much useless, specifically in this setup. I know it’s extremely early, but I am convinced he will flop badly here. There is just nothing convincing about the way he plays, and he isn’t good enough to change our setup to fit him in.
Think it's key to understand that we're not changing our set-up to fit him in but rather we bought him to fit the way we want to set-up.

For whatever reason this move towards double attacking AMs and more conservative inverting fullbacks is the trend in top level football over the last 12-18 months or so and ETH has decided he wants to follow suit along with the other top sides who are adopting it.

Whether it will work for us or not we'll have to see but it's a shift being driven by a change in tactics at the top level rather than us adapting to fit in players the manager wants.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I still don't understand Erik's idea behind this signing. Mount's mobility, energy, pressing...all look great on paper but we are wide open with him paired with Bruno.

Malone_Post

I still don't understand Erik's idea behind this signing. Mount's mobility, energy, pressing...all look great on paper but we are wide open with him paired with Bruno.
Fred was better in all those aspects. For £55 million I’m not seeing an obvious upgrade.

Andersonson

We were worse when McTominay came on. As always happens. We were a threat until then and got our goal then.
McTominay came on in 88 for Rashford. We changed our formation when he came on. Eriksen changed for Mount, and Wolves almost scored two in that time.

Mount wasnt the only one this game and gets to much stick when everyone bar a very few played decent. Its childish

Valencia Shin Crosses

He only confirmed what I had always thought, which is that he would never work properly as a 8 next to Bruno. He is a 10 and a rather mediocre one. Those 60m could have been spent so much wiser..
We literally could have gone for Caicedo but instead decided to go for the "double advanced 8's" gimmick when our captain is the completely wrong player for that style.

Casemiro and Caicedo pivot with Bruno ahead would have been disgustingly solid.

Irrational.

I was at the game - looked like the most average player on the pitch. Tries to look busy but ends up hiding from the ball a lot of the time. Hoping things improve but I do worry.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Two things that were always said about Mount by analysts and Chelsea fans were that he's coachable and versatile. Hopefully Ten Hag can use that to mould him into the player he saw in his mind's eye when he decided to go for him.

After one game, of course he looks like a very expensive utility player at best, but he's got a whole lot of time to change that.

crossy1686

career ending
It wasn't a good performance at all, and if he plays like this every match, then it's an awful transfer and he'll be rightfully labelled a flop. However, it is one game. Why can't you support your own players that we recently bought? I mean, what's the problem? Okay, maybe you didn't want him to begin with, but why are you talking so much shit about him instead of hoping he plays well?

Personally, I know he's much better than this, but we'll see how he performs the next games. In this particular game, I'm not concerned because the entire team played awful, except AWB. For some reason, you're only commenting on Mount's performance. Do you not think he will be better when everyone plays better?
What makes you think I want him to fail? That doesn't sound like the best scenario for Manchester United and I want what's best for the team. Right now, our best chances of winning are without him playing and someone else, preferably a new signing playing instead, if we can get one in this month but I doubt that.

I've watched Mount for Chelsea and England, I even watched him closely this preseason in hope I was missing something, but he hasn't had a good game since Lampard was managing him. What I'm annoyed about is that we've pissed £55m up the wall on a player that doesn't do anything and doesn't improve us. We'd have been better off signing Cunha from Wolves.

I'll hold out hope that he can do something between now and the end of the season but don't hold your breath. Yes, everyone was shit and I have some pretty strong opinions on Antony, Rashford, Garnacho and Bruno's performances but this is the Mount thread.

arnoldS

He was the best midfielder today which of course doesnt mean much given how bad Casemiro and Bruno were.

Halftrack

He only confirmed what I had always thought, which is that he would never work properly as a 8 next to Bruno. He is a 10 and a rather mediocre one. Those 60m could have been spent so much wiser..
Good of you to give him all of one competitive game before passing your final judgement. Almost as if you went into the season ready to write him off.

Devil81

I actually see him as a squad rotation player, never rated him enough to imagine he'd be someone to really improve us.

He was awful tonight, I personally don't think it helped Casemiro has mobility issues and teams have figured that out.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Unnecessary buy as most pointed out when we were buying him. Casemiro Bruno and Mount wont work as Casemiro isnt 25 years old anymore. And Bruno wont be dropped. So either we play Mount or Bruno on right, we shouldn’t be playing both together. We need a DM badly

Idxomer

We literally could have gone for Caicedo but instead decided to go for the "double advanced 8's" gimmick when our captain is the completely wrong player for that style.

Casemiro and Caicedo pivot with Bruno ahead would have been disgustingly solid.
It's insane for me to see a top-level manager making those kind of mistakes.

How can he look at the profiles of Bruno and Casemiro and think adding Mount would make a good balanced midfield?

Roboc7

I like him and think has a lot of potential for but I don’t see how the 3 players we have will work together. Thought he was best of the 3 today, Casemiro was awful and Bruno very poor as well but eventually made an impact on the game.

hobbers

How can he look at the profiles of Bruno and Casemiro and think adding Mount would make a good balanced midfield?
Another reminder that all managers are very fallible and all have their blind spots

DarkXaero

I still feel that he's a squad rotation level player who we ended up paying 55 mill for, in the last year of his contract.

Bwuk

We’d be better with McTominay next to Casemiro & Bruno.

Mount doesn’t suit what we need. If he has to play it should be off the right.

el3mel

*team has bad season opener*
"we've seen enough, clearly *new signing* is shit and will never be good enough."
We have been watching Mount playing for Chelsea for few years now. He's not new to the league.

mu4c_20le

Hope I'm horribly wrong but it's feels like history repeating itself. He wanted Frenkie (grealish) and ended up settling for Mount (Donny). He wasn't his first choice, he just took the opportunity when it came up.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He seems to be enamored with former players from past teams. It does my head in.

The strangest part is he seems to indicate that he wants us to be a more direct/transitional style team compared to some of the other ball hoarding teams in the league. Which is fine, but if that's the case why on earth would we set up in the niche/flavor of the month 3-1-6 build up style instead of bringing another defensive/physical stalwart that can shuttle the ball up and down the pitch but lets Bruno command the final third? It's not like Mount is another Bruno level creator that makes up for the crap shape we form with that trio.

CM

I've been thinking it all summer but I'm genuinely perplexed Ten Hag identified Mount as the missing piece for this midfield. That was hugely worrying to watch and isn't something that is likely to change overnight with a tactical tweak; that's a fundamentally flawed midfield. I was hoping ten Hag saw something I couldn't see with Mount and would have a solid plan to integrate him, but it just looks like naivety to me.

The gaping spaces Wolves had to exploit on the counter in that game was very reminiscent of the match at Molineux the season before last. We won 0-1 that day too but Adama Traore had the freedom of the pitch every time Wolves got the ball, and we had a disastrous season after that. We need to act now and sign a midfielder who is suitable to play that role alongside Bruno and Casemiro before it starts costing us points.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Hope I'm horribly wrong but it's feels like history repeating itself. He wanted Frenkie (grealish) and ended up settling for Mount (Donny). He wasn't his first choice, he just took the opportunity when it came up.
Problem is Frenkie and Mount are completely different styles of players no matter how you want to debate their quality. Frenkie would essentially play next to Case while Bruno would roam in front, while Mount plays almost directly behind the forwards leaving Case as the lone man behind. So it wouldn't even make sense having Mount as the "second option" to De Jong. If anything that should have been Caicedo

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Rather have Fred honestly. Seems like another player who only thrives in space. We have enough of those guys. Fred could at least cause the other team some problems on defense and deliver the occasional great through ball.

Ole'sgunnarwin

At Chelsea Redcafe- painfully average
When first signed Redcafe - Brilliant signing
First match - painfully average

I've always thought he's a bit of a nothing player. Goes missing far too often in general play. Especially notice that when he plays for England.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m fully aware, but he isn’t a former player from his past team.
Re-reading my first post, I meant to add players that he has familiarity with both playing with or against. Mount, Malacia, Gakpo, De Jong, Martinez, Timber, Dumfries, Onana, Antony, Kudus. All signings or heavily linked to us. Regardless of the individual quality of each, it's certainly a pattern with Erik and not one I like. It's too difficult for managers to also be the driving force of transfer targets, almost none of them do it successfully. You need to be able to trust your scouting network/structure in identifying players and making signings that aren't purely driven by the manager.

edgecutter

Honestly like watching McTominay, and I would probably have preferred McTominay played.

E-mal

Pretty sure we would be a better team with either Kovacic or MacAllister instead of Mount

Skills

Snitch
Pretty sure we would be a better team with either Kovacic or MacAllister instead of Mount
Kovacic was the one if you look at what we lack as a team. A midfielder good in tight spaces and can receive the ball on the turn.