View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Quality Premier proven young footballer, only a matter of time before he comes good.
Nobody is denying (at least i don't) his qualities. I rate Mount. But i just struggle to understand why we bought him because he is not central midfielder (who we needed).

Bondi77

Nobody is denying (at least i don't) his qualities. I rate Mount. But i just struggle to understand why we bought him because he is not central midfielder (who we needed).
Maybe Simon Stone will ask Erik that question

dutchred

He's not rubbish but he is not an 8. He is a 10 same as Bruno. The only way we can play both is if we play 442, but then we need a good defensive 8 alongside Casemiro
Onana
AWB. Varane. Martinez. Shaw
Casemiro. Mainoo (new DM)
Bruno. Mount
Hojlund. Rashford

izec

Have we sold him yet? Training in the reserves?

That display has to have consequences. A 2/10 performance. Still shocked how out of depth he looked, a complete headless chicken.

We need an rvn

He's not rubbish but he is not an 8. He is a 10 same as Bruno. The only way we can play both is if we play 442, but then we need a good defensive 8 alongside Casemiro
Onana
Bruno. Mount
Hojlund. Rashford
That’s a very strong spine but where the feck are our wide players (and you can’t say Casemiro / mainoo / mount / Bruno / hojlund or rashford as they are all central in the 442 system)

I don’t think we can play mount and Bruno together unless one of them plays out wide as you can’t play with two 10s / false 9 unless you drop the striker

Jig1234

Signing a 10 to play as a 8. next to another 10 in Bruno and the team gets ripped apart. It's not too difficult too see why Wolves ripped us to shreds.

We needed one 8. to sit next to bruno, cover ground, good on the ball. and a new 6. New replacement or cover for Casimiro who is now 30+.

Having two tens in front of him. will completely expose him.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Personally I think we’ve overpaid for an average player, I never rated him at Chelsea. I can’t see him lighting up the midfield this season, and will probably be best used as a sub.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Scholes also developed into a different midfielder, many have before. It is an experiment with Mount but in no way a mission impossible

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I agree that we needed an 8 and not another 10, so signing mount was a weird one.

But now that we have signed him, im just gonna hope he does well. I feel many fans are just waiting for him to fail to be proven right.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Scholes also developed into a different midfielder, many have before. It is an experiment with Mount but in no way a mission impossible
Clearly not an experiment yet, as he's deployed in different role. But I agree we should probably push him deeper. He seems well suited to B2B role with his skillset. Not his best position but I don't believe we can pull off what ETH is pushing for, with Mount in dvb role.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I think what ETH is trying to do is to copy Guardiola’s midfield of Silva-Fernandinho-De Bruyne. Basically one holding and two hard working attacking midfielders.

Let’s be patient and give it a chance.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like the general mood is down Mount at the moment.

I watched the game vs Wolves and it was more of the Mount we saw last season than the Mount we enjoyed the 3 years before last season. For those who are watching him closely for the first team, that's a terrible first impression. I know I said I'd be praying for his downfall but I actually do hope he ends up being a good buy for you. Well as good as possible without winning any trophies of course.

abkmufc92

People saying to give him time like his time with Chelsea and England don't exist.

We have all seen him play regularly and he's just not good enough and not what we need.

Just another expensive transfer that makes no sense.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I see Mount has become the new Maguire/McTominay already.

Must be surnames beginning with M...

Woziak

I think what ETH is trying to do is to copy Guardiola’s midfield of Silva-Fernandinho-De Bruyne. Basically one holding and two hard working attacking midfielders.

Against wolves we played more 4-1-4-1 than 4-1-2-3 the distances from DM to both AM’s were more than 25/35 yards not 15/20 they both think they are 10’s not hard working 8’s !

Zlatans Knee

I really hope that he succeeds because I sort of like the guy, but I never understood the signing, and I don't understand what our plan is with him in the team. When we so clearly needed a Caicedo type of player (neither Casemiro nor Eriksen have any legs). Such a shame that Mainoo got injured but we shouldn't be depending on an 18yo fixing the centre of our midfield either.

Brightonian

I'm not sure why the forum has decided after a single football match that he can't play as a #8. The system/positioning of both Mount and Bruno against Wolves didn't work. The gap to Casemiro was too big and Casemiro himself didn't help by having a poor game (to be expected, he has been a slow starter throughout his entire career).

But Mount has undeniably played #8 a lot during his career. You can look up heat map after heat map showing a classic left-sided #8 position. And the stats from several of his best seasons reflect a midfielder producing as much defensive and offensive work. His games for England have mostly been as a #8. Yes, he has also played as a #10 and as a wide attack midfielder/winger. But at least a third, maybe closer to half, has been as a #8.

criticalanalysis

Sounds like the general mood is down Mount at the moment.

I watched the game vs Wolves and it was more of the Mount we saw last season than the Mount we enjoyed the 3 years before last season. For those who are watching him closely for the first team, that's a terrible first impression. I know I said I'd be praying for his downfall but I actually do hope he ends up being a good buy for you. Well as good as possible without winning any trophies of course.
It's not necessarily his individual abilities, which from what little I've seen is actually of a good standard, it's how he fits tactically and positionally in the team. That's more on ETH and other player personnel but I'll be interested to know how you think he can improve or show what he's shown before to change the situation? On the one hand, it's not really his 'fault' but the fact is we need more from everyone, him included.

Bruno and Mount being literally 10-15 yards away from Casemiro and not dropping deeper or fast enough on the ball is basically the main issue. Going forward and facing the ball has never been our issues in midfield, it's when the players have to go backwards and/or go to retrieve it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
My only hope with this is that ETH seen and analysed the game against wolves and will now have a different approach to our Midfield… he isn’t a stupid manager. He’s someone that’s gonna adjust if something isn’t working. Don’t get what happened to the idea of Bruno playing deeper when he dominated Everton at OT last season.

Catalandevil

Onana
Bruno. Mount
Hojlund. Rashford
We would need super offensive RB and LB to provide enough width to make this one work.

I think ETH idea was to use Mount and Burno as #8, but any of them has shown enough discipline. I think Erik will try that for a few games and if it doesn't work, one of them will be moved as a fake winger.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Well he’d fail at the outset, then. Fernandinho and Casemiro are comparable enough, and De Bruyne and Fernandes are pretty comparable (the biggest difference being that De Bruyne can carry the ball with his pace and physicality whilst Fernandes is a weak dribbler who tends to have to rush a pass when pressed or confronted).

The biggest difference is Silva — he has the elite level capacity to pick the ball in tight positions and press evade. He is also a lot better with his pass selections in retaining the ball. That adds a lot more balance to a midfield that doesn’t look particularly level on paper. That’s basically the big difference between our midfield with Mount added in.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
My only hope with this is that ETH seen and analysed the game against wolves and will now have a different approach to our Midfield… he isn’t a stupid manager. He’s someone that’s gonna adjust if something isn’t working. Don’t get what happened to the idea of Bruno playing deeper when he dominated Everton at OT last season.
He is good manager but players failed to follow his instructions in my opinion. In some moments players just plainly avoid to pass to players who are free but passing into crowded place and losing possession.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think Casemiro needs to improve a lot from last week, which I fully expect him to, but whether he'll be fully up to speed in this game I'm not sure. This may mean McTominay coming in to add some steel into midfield, or perhaps Eriksen, who I believe is more creative, or he may stick with Mount, a better attacking threat, but with a slight tweak as to where Bruno and Mount would play.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Erik ten Hag expects evolution for Mason Mount
The Manchester United manager wants his new midfielder to play in a deeper role

Ten Hag played Christian Eriksen in a deeper role with some success last season until the Dane was injured, and he is planning to do the same with Mount, who was used mainly as an attacking midfielder at Chelsea.
“Eriksen came in last season and for the first time in his life he played in a deeper role,” the United manager said. “That was the ambition for Christian and it is also the ambition for Mason — he wants to be more multi-functional and that is the way I see football.