2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

OrcaFat

I’m happy with Mount, Bruno and Hannibal competing for two advanced MF spots. That part of the squad is looking good.

Plus we have Amrabat and Case for the no6 area, also good.

Eriksen provides an option and we have Mainoo to come back and Gore coming through.

Midfield is okay now.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I’m happy with Mount, Bruno and Hannibal competing for two advanced MF spots. That part of the squad is looking good.

Eriksen provides an option and we have Mainoo to come back and Gore coming through.

Midfield is okay now.
It's only okay if it functions. Don't think we've seen that yet.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Midfield is okay now.
Just the attack then? Or defence

OrcaFat

Just the attack then? Or defence
Ha!

Front three not scoring is a problem, isn’t it? But I think they will start firing soon.

Defence looks thin as soon as one of Varane or Martinez is out. We can manage but need proper competition at CB.

If the forwards start getting goals it will ease pressure on the rest of the team.

I think my point was that people have seen Hannibal and wonder why we needed Mount but you need at least three players pushing each other for those two high 8 positions. If we start to get that level of competition across the whole team we’ll see a great improvement, even if the (so-called) first XI isn’t obviously improved.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ha!

Front three not scoring is a problem, isn’t it? But I think they will start firing soon.

Defence looks thin as soon as one of Varane or Martinez is out. We can manage but need proper competition at CB.

If the forwards start getting goals it will ease pressure on the rest of the team.

I think my point was that people have seen Hannibal and wonder why we needed Mount but you need at least three players pushing each other for those two high 8 positions. If we start to get that level of competition across the whole team we’ll see a great improvement, even if the (so-called) first XI isn’t obviously improved.
Ye I agree. Our midfield looked quality against palace in the cup. We dominated the game, scored 3 goals. But once you put 1 bad player in the team then it doesn’t function very well. Rashford or Bruno or maybe both is making us not function well as it proved last week by playing the same team in a week and the performances were completely different. Our attack isn’t functioning properly. We’ve got a 20 year old ST who’s still finding his feet, a LW who turns up when he wants and then goes missing halve a season and looks like he Cba playing. And a RW that isn’t settle as we’re using different players there each game. We’ve got a lot to work on…

Kostov

If you really watched Newcastle like you claim, you'd know there is a reason he struggles to get into the midfield now. Claiming Tonali is a better footballer when he struggles to get in ahead of Sean Longstaff :houllier:

By the way, did you have a competition with yourself how many swear words you could make in one post? Relax.
I did, I am not sure if you even watch Manchester United play never mind Newcastle. Your strange obsession with Longstaff is laughable too, he’s a better CM than Mount also but you will need time to realize that.

I am guilty of using too much swear words I apologize, it’s just the way I talk no hard feelings.

USREDEVIL

I did, I am not sure if you even watch Manchester United play never mind Newcastle. Your strange obsession with Longstaff is laughable too, he’s a better CM than Mount also but you will need time to realize that.

I am guilty of using too much swear words I apologize, it’s just the way I talk no hard feelings.
:eek:

SirScholes

Midfield is okay now.
Personally don’t think the midfield is anything special
We kept the ball but didn’t really create anything, the only player who is smart on the ball is Eriksen and he’s a bit past it

zaafi

I did, I am not sure if you even watch Manchester United play never mind Newcastle. Your strange obsession with Longstaff is laughable too, he’s a better CM than Mount also but you will need time to realize that also.

I'm not obsessed with Longstaff. I'm using him as an example because he is the worst of the starting midfielders for Newcastle. Both Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton are much better than him. If you rate Longstaff over Mount, then I don't think we should have this discussion at all. Wild opinion.

OrcaFat

Personally don’t think the midfield is anything special
We kept the ball but didn’t really create anything, the only player who is smart on the ball is Eriksen and he’s a bit past it
Yeah Eriksen was great. He transformed the way we played when he first came. But he hit the wall somewhere and now he just can’t get about quick enough. He still runs as far as anyone but it’s not sharp enough to be really effective.

We’re playing a different system now and I think we have the right players for it. A graceful playmaker is not part of the plan, which is a shame. We still have players who can create and, whilst none of them are easy on the eye, they also do the hard yards.

SirScholes

Yeah Eriksen was great. He transformed the way we played when he first came. But he hit the wall somewhere and now he just can’t get about quick enough. He still runs as far as anyone but it’s not sharp enough to be really effective.

We’re playing a different system now and I think we have the right players for it. A graceful playmaker is not part of the plan, which is a shame. We still have players who can create and, whilst none of them are easy on the eye, they also do the hard yards.
The system is either wrong or not working then
Because we are awful

Kostov

I'm not obsessed with Longstaff. I'm using him as an example because he is the worst of the starting midfielders for Newcastle. Both Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton are much better than him. If you rate Longstaff over Mount, then I don't think we should have this discussion at all. Wild opinion.
Longstaff is actually a CM unlike Mount who isn't and I don't think saying Longstaff is better at CM than Mount is such a wild opinion at all.

Stacks

Midfield is okay now.
how many of them are top 4-5 in their position/role?

OrcaFat

how many of them are top 4-5 in their position/role?
Dunno. Two of them maybe. I wish they were all much better. But in context, I’m happy with the options and the competition for places in MF. Mount is, for sure, unexciting, even so I think he fits the plan and will contribute a lot as the season goes on.

I’m less happy with CB (injuries kill us there) and the front three where we just don’t have enough goals.

Stacks

Dunno. Two of them maybe. I wish they were all much better. But in context, I’m happy with the options and the competition for places in MF. Mount is, for sure, unexciting, even so I think he fits the plan and will contribute a lot as the season goes on.

I’m less happy with CB (injuries kill us there) and the front three where we just don’t have enough goals.
I actually thought Mount did ok in the last game funny enough.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Tune in every week folks! You can see him playing no8 every game.

I watched the game again and still thought he did okay. A few things he tried didn’t come off but I thought he looked more than comfortable in deeper areas. Carried the ball forward from there at pace sometimes as well.

I think he will adapt fine. Don’t forget he’s not even 100% match fit yet.
I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong. I just don't get it though. Last year ETH kept playing Erikson in that position (which worked against shitty teams). This year it seems to be Mount (when available). I hope Amrabat makes that position his, but then what happens with Mount? Again, seems like a position bought that we didn't need...

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong. I just don't get it though. Last year ETH kept playing Erikson in that position (which worked against shitty teams). This year it seems to be Mount (when available). I hope Amrabat makes that position his, but then what happens with Mount? Again, seems like a position bought that we didn't need...
Competition is a good thing. Aside from competing directly with each other, Amrabat offers an alternative at #6 to Casemiro (who has had a poor start to the season) and they also provide indirect competition for Antony, as one of Bruno/Mount can shift to RW.

Just look at the midfield we're setting up with today, with all of Casemiro, Mount, Bruno and Mejbri playing. If Amrabat wasn't needed at LB it could easily be him in midfield in place of Mejbri.

Man Utd 2:3 Galatasaray

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Cant score. Cant assist. Can't play as a 10 for a top club. Can't play as an 8. A total waste of 50m.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The best of our midfielders today just by dint of being able to actually control and pass the ball.

zaafi

Very good first half, meh second half. I have no idea why our players aren't looking to give him the ball more often, though. They would rather give it to Bruno for him to give away with a shit pass.

GMoore23

Drop Bruno for him.

This is what I hoped for when we signed him as I knew he's never a cm.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good game from him, I like him

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Drop Bruno for him.

This is what I hoped for when we signed him as I knew he's never a cm.
It’s clear to a lot of us that both of them together won’t work. We need someone who can actually control a game to allow Bruno or Mount to play the way they do. We have no control in midfield and it’s no wonder we concede so many clear cut chances. Mount was decent enough today but can’t see ten Hag dropping Bruno any time soon.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He was just the best Mount today. Neat and tidy and very nearly.

We actually created enough and looked dangerous enough today. Defence should be getting every morsel of blame.

Dorris

Some clueless views in this thread. Our best player tonight bar Hojlund.

OL29

I thought he had a good game but he’ll be criticised regardless due to the result.

avgp_1

Thought he did well. Just seems to lose some steam in the second half of the games so far, hope for better as his fitness levels are up

Telsim

He did well, I thought. As well as can be expected in the midst of this shower of shite. Will never in a million years work with Bruno on the pitch, though.

Woodenlung

He has consistently been one of our best players since returning from injury. Pretty happy with the signing so far.

Stadjer

Since he is in the team, we are all over the place. 55m and we are worse than before.
He has hardly been in the team because of injury. We controlled the game against CP with him in the team. Today during the first 45m he was the best midfielder and we mostly were in control. Mount done okay so far.