2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lyng

Mount is the ultimate cog-in-a-machine type player, which actually helps us very much. Our general flow of play will be much better than last season.
He won't ever be the most flashy player, but that's not his job.
You can already see what he gives us if you look at our general patterns and movement in pre season. Very happy with the signing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Gonna reserve judgement until he has time to settle in, get to know our team, they get to trust him etc. He has quick feet and is relatively press resistant and I like his defensive work, but aside from just retaining the ball, he hasn't done much on the ball and his finishing has been shit... I do think there's a lot more to come as I'd say so far he's been basically Van de Beek and he's shown he is a much better player than that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not remotely worried about him now. If Fred goes, we'll need even more, a solid pressing machine.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Thought yesterday was the best he's looked so far, but I'm still very skeptical having him and Bruno as 2 parts of a 3 man midfield. It feels far too chaotic both on and off the ball with only Case behind them. The structures around them will have to be air tight otherwise I think we'll be seeing more Amrabat in as a partner to Case.

Bobski

I think he has many of the same qualities as Donny and Sabitizer but is a lot more physically dynamic than either.

Hoof the ball

Thought yesterday was the best he's looked so far, but I'm still very skeptical having him and Bruno as 2 parts of a 3 man midfield. It feels far too chaotic both on and off the ball with only Case behind them. The structures around them will have to be air tight otherwise I think we'll be seeing more Amrabat in as a partner to Case.
Dalot inverted right up alongside McTominay. Casemiro won't be alone because EtH is asking Dalot or AWB to do exactly what Liverpool are asking TAA to do, and what Pep is asking Stones to do.

The whole point of what EtH wants is to not have to rely on a three man midfield, but a box midfield consisting of DM, RB, and two 8/10's.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Dalot inverted right up alongside McTominay. Casemiro won't be alone because EtH is asking Dalot or AWB to do exactly what Liverpool are asking TAA to do, and what Pep is asking Stones to do.

The whole point of what EtH wants is to not have to rely on a three man midfield, but a box midfield consisting of DM, RB, and two 8/10's.
I understand what he wants, but there's a big gap in quality between the players you named and Dalot (or even worse AWB). But yes it's why I noted that the structure AROUND Bruno and Mount has to be air tight.

bosnian_red

Decent thread showing his good moments in that last 30 minutes. He's clearly got good attributes but my biggest criticism would be to just get more involved as he has the talent to do this more. Can be a bit too passive

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Decent thread showing his good moments in that last 30 minutes. He's clearly got good attributes but my biggest criticism would be to just get more involved as he has the talent to do this more. Can be a bit too passive
I've seen clips of his performances and he looks in very good shape. He's Agile, fast, stays on his feet. His passing is quite good. He's just not very effective in whatever he is supposed to be doing I this system. Yet.

Denis79

Another factor that will count against Mount is if we regularly see Bruno shifted out wide to accommodate him. Which is a very legitimate concern.
Atleast he won't be shifted out wide by Weghorst this time. That was criminal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Because if the type of player he is, he's probably particularly exposed to being judged based on the team's performances rather than his own.

acnumber9

That thread is a car crash.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That thread is a car crash.
I’ve no intention of reading it (and couldn’t if I wanted to, thanks Elon) but even that one tweet stinks of the insane stuff posted by Ronaldo stans trying to blame everyone else for their man underwhelming.

That said, what little I’ve seen of Mount in pre-season has been positive. A really neat and tidy player who wins the ball back a lot more than I thought he would. Could be a very nice upgrade on Fred.

Denis79

He was a good squad player.
He competed with some of the best midfielders to ever play at the club, Keane and Scholes. You remember him at the Japan/South Korea WC? He was world class.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He competed with some of the best midfielders to ever play at the club, Keane and Scholes. You remember him at the Japan/South Korea WC? He was world class.
Park was never central midfielder, I have no idea why are you mentioning Scholes and Keane as his competition. He competed with Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, etc. Later with Valencia and Nani, Welbeck, and he was squad player behind all of them.

Khadaad

Keane left a few months after Park arrived? I don't think he was ever competing with Scholes for a spot. Park mostly played on the wings only playing centrally sometimes. He was definitely an excellent player though.

Denis79

Park was never central midfielder, I have no idea why are you mentioning Scholes and Keane as his competition. He competed with Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, etc. Later with Valencia and Nani, Welbeck, and he was squad player behind all of them.
He played all over the midfield, including in the middle of the pitch, in a holding role in a box to box role or on either wing.

bosnian_red

He was a good squad player, not world class. If we sign Amrabat and he has a park like impact, great. If Mount only amounts to Park level impact... It would be great

Denis79

He was a good squad player, not world class. If we sign Amrabat and he has a park like impact, great. If Mount only amounts to Park level impact... It would be great
I said he was class for us, world-class in that world cup though. Carried South Korea single handedly in that tournament.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He played all over the midfield, including in the middle of the pitch, in a holding role in a box to box role or on either wing.
Park didn't really play in central midfield. Even that "holding role" you're thinking off was a very specific man marking job (on Messi) rather than playing as a conventional DM. He generally played as a link between midfield and attack.

bosnian_red

I said he was class for us, world-class in that world cup though. Carried South Korea single handedly in that tournament.
Sure, but the point being that we want to get back to an elite level, and park was only a squad player for that level. So if you buy a player with the intention of being a starter.. you hope for more.

Denis79

Park didn't really play in central midfield. Even that "holding role" you're thinking off was a very specific man marking job (on Messi) rather than playing as a conventional DM. He generally played as a link between midfield and attack.
I'm getting old so I might remember everything somewhat fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I've seen him play in many roles and on both wings. Guess I have to concede defeat. Still think he was class though.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I’ve no intention of reading it (and couldn’t if I wanted to, thanks Elon) but even that one tweet stinks of the insane stuff posted by Ronaldo stans trying to blame everyone else for their man underwhelming.

That said, what little I’ve seen of Mount in pre-season has been positive. A really neat and tidy player who wins the ball back a lot more than I thought he would. Could be a very nice upgrade on Fred.
This is exactly what he is. Different player to Eriksen and should not be judged with the same measure.

Billy Jim

He normally looks very sharp on the ball - my main criticism is that he doesn't get on it enough so hoping to see more of that throughout the season.

acnumber9

Just the typical hyping of the tiniest little thing he does and heaping abuse on the likes of Casemiro and Rashford to make it seem like they’ve let Mount down somehow.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of Mount but obviously the manager has a plan for how he wants to use him. I just we don’t get down the line and realise he can’t play central midfield and we see him in Bruno’s position while he plays out wide.

acnumber9

Yeah the intent was just look at the videos and not the words, showing some nice moments from him (but where he just needs to get more involved).
Yeah, that’s fair enough but he definitely needs to do more than win the ball back a little.

mikeyt

My problem with Mount is he doesn't seem to be anything specific. He's not a 10, not really an 8 nor a 6. Yes he's great in chasing the ball around and winning the ball back but Fred wasn't bad at that either. He's far better in possession but I'm struggling so far to see what else he's bringing. As some have said, he just strikes me as passive.

I'll need to see him in a few PL games before judging though, hoping he can stamp his authority on games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I'm getting old so I might remember everything somewhat fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I've seen him play in many roles and on both wings. Guess I have to concede defeat. Still think he was class though.
He covered such a crazy amount of ground every time he played he would pop up literally everywhere. So I know where you’re coming from! He only very rarely took the place of our usual CMs in the starting lineup though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
My problem with Mount is he doesn't seem to be anything specific. He's not a 10, not really an 8 nor a 6. Yes he's great in chasing the ball around and winning the ball back but Fred wasn't bad at that either. He's far better in possession but I'm struggling so far to see what else he's bringing. As some have said, he just strikes me as passive.

I'll need to see him in a few PL games before judging though, hoping he can stamp his authority on games.
A player who can harass the opposition like Fred without Fred’s brainfarts in possession will be a great asset. Plus Mount has previously shown he can be a goal threat as well.

Foolsgold21

I like the look of him so far.

This modern obsession with goals and assists is bizarre - not helped by journalists like Jamie Jackson calling him a flop and underwhelming in his latest sharticle.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

He's far better in possession because he is more reliable with his passing, but so far he plays football like he needs to get the ball quickly to the attacking formation. That is what I expected to see from an attacking player deployed in midfield. Based on the preseason I expect a lot of turnovers and "tennis" games if Mount does play in midfield. To be honest Casemiro also seems very rush on the ball since he came back from suspension so this is a bit weird system we seem to be going after.
Eriksen is not able to play football on the highest level but we will be missing a dimension to our game when he doesn't play.

Trex

He's far better in possession because he is more reliable with his passing, but so far he plays football like he needs to get the ball quickly to the attacking formation. That is what I expected to see from an attacking player deployed in midfield. Based on the preseason I expect a lot of turnovers and "tennis" games if Mount does play in midfield. To be honest Casemiro also seems very rush on the ball since he came back from suspension so this is a bit weird system we seem to be going after.
Eriksen is not able to play football on the highest level but we will be missing a dimension to our game when he doesn't play.
We're not a team that want to keep the ball in midfield. The two 8s role is to break the opponent lines and do it quickly. The front five pin the opponent back creating time and space for Onana, Casemiro and the back four. Once they find them in advance area its quick bang!!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We're not a team that want to keep the ball in midfield. The two 8s role is to break the opponent lines and do it quickly. The front five pin the opponent back creating time and space for Onana, Casemiro and the back four. Once they find them in advance area its quick bang!!
Every team (aspiring for trophies) wants to keep possession. This might not be the main aspect of the game, but we need to know how to progress the ball from deep areas to midfield and attack. Every top team has significantly more possession than we have on average.
This "just quickly pass it forward" approach isn't going to fly once we face an organized team.

Trex

Every team (aspiring for trophies) wants to keep possession. This might not be the main aspect of the game, but we need to know how to progress the ball from deep areas to midfield and attack. Every top team has significantly more possession than we have on average.
This "just quickly pass it forward" approach isn't going to fly once we face an organized team.
Its not that we won't keep the ball its that it would be done by Onana, Shaw, Martinez and Case. We pass it in deep areas and lure the opponent to press once they do we try to penetrate quickly.Watch the build up and when Bruno is found, watch how quickly it goes.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Its not that we won't keep the ball its that it would be done by Onana, Shaw, Martinez and Case. We pass it in deep areas and lure the opponent to press once they do we try to penetrate quickly.Watch the build up and when Bruno is found, watch how quickly it goes.
That's exactly the point. Look how deep Eriksen is when making line-splitting pass to Bruno.

Only Martinez is capable of making that pass in our team if we push Mount and Bruno forward. This will be easy to block don't you think?