2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Leethal

I genuinely believe that there is more than meets the eye with his ‘injury’, and due to sensitivity (or even legal ramifications), the press have been briefed not to bring up Mount. There has been far too little noise from the mainstream press, when you’d expect them to be all over this considering the circumstances (fee paid, contract expiring, #7, etc.), and the current return on investment.

CasaStreets

Wow I had no idea he was on 250k p/w, staggering sum of money.

We have 3 players who are #10s (Bruno, Eriksen, and Mount) but I suspect once Mount is back EtH will resume pretending 2 of them are #8s.

I am almost certain that the first time Mount returns it will be at #8. That’s not ideal because we’ll either bench Kobbie or push him into a #6 role in which he can’t succeed because of the massive hole he’ll have to cover. It will expose him defensively just as it’s exposed Casemiro.

If Mount is going to play in this squad, it needs to be for Bruno at #10.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Whenever he's back, give him the rest of the season in Bruno's place. Be interesting to see what we can do with someone a bit more sensible and less scatter-brained in there. We have nothing to lose anyway.
Yeah, that happens a lot. Manager permanently drops long-serving player who he recently made club captain and replaces him an injury prone player who's only made 12 appearances for the club.

Martial

Buying a bang-average injury-prone Mason Mount for 55-60m when available for free a year later was fecking stupid then, and even more now.

A manager lives and dies by his signings, and Antony and Mount will cost him.

Red-17

Wow I had no idea he was on 250k p/w, staggering sum of money.

We have 3 players who are #10s (Bruno, Eriksen, and Mount) but I suspect once Mount is back EtH will resume pretending 2 of them are #8s.

I am almost certain that the first time Mount returns it will be at #8. That’s not ideal because we’ll either bench Kobbie or push him into a #6 role in which he can’t succeed because of the massive hole he’ll have to cover. It will expose him defensively just as it’s exposed Casemiro.

If Mount is going to play in this squad, it needs to be for Bruno at #10.
Unfortunately our manager has the same failed policy of previous managers where he has untouchable players who cannot be benched or even substituted. Even when Bruno is bad, he still plays 90 minutes even if to make it work he shunts him out of position to the wing where he has never looked even solid nevermind good.

atkar83

Unfortunately our manager has the same failed policy of previous managers where he has untouchable players who cannot be benched or even substituted. Even when Bruno is bad, he still plays 90 minutes even if to make it work he shunts him out of position to the wing where he has never looked even solid nevermind good.
My captain must always play. Whhhhyyyyyyyyy????

Bondi77

His fitness was hardly inconsistent at Chelsea. He barely missed any games in his Chelsea career until the final three months when he got an injury that required surgery.
And if I not am mistaken Mason was a highly valuable part of the squad when fit.
Absolutely bizarre that we went for him :houllier:

hobbers

Thank god, we've really missed those 0 goals and 0 assists and 0 key passes per game.

lex talionis

I was excited until 'next couple of weeks'. That could mean April with our luck. Anyway, I'd like him to get a run of games. He wasn't exactly amazing when he played but not poor either. Very good in some games.
At this point, having just thrown away any realistic chance of CL qualification with the dropped points to Spurs and Fulham, there's really no reason to rush Mount back. Summer training will begin soon enough and with the added recovery time from whatever this injury is he will, surely, be fit to start on a regular basis for us once we sell Bruno this summer.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Meh, won't play until mid April most likely.

Exactly the same tweets were doing rounds end of December.

I genuinely believe that there is more than meets the eye with his ‘injury’, and due to sensitivity (or even legal ramifications), the press have been briefed not to bring up Mount. There has been far too little noise from the mainstream press, when you’d expect them to be all over this considering the circumstances (fee paid, contract expiring, #7, etc.), and the current return on investment.
Same here.
I wouldn't be surprised if he never played under this manager again actually.

Ace

Can’t see him starting over Bruno and don’t want him taking Mainoo’s place in the team.

OmarUnited4ever

What would that "more than meets the eye" be?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's very common across football, definitely. We've done a lot of dealings with SEG agency/Kees Vos - ten Hag's buddy and an agency which his son works for...

Everybody eats.
This is such a good point because as fans we logically focus on football whereas there are too many other elements going on backstage. If we were well run, there ain't no way we would have signed such an underwhelming player for that much money with 1 year left on his contract

Highfather_24

He cannot do what Mainoo does, nor can he do what Casemiro does.

Which is why he made absolutely zero fecking sense to buy in the summer to anyone who understands football.

But we keep buying AMs and either dont play them or play them in the wrong positions, so its extremely on brand for us.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

Which is why he made absolutely zero fecking sense to buy in the summer to anyone who understands football.

But we keep buying AMs and either dont play them or play them in the wrong positions, so its extremely on brand for us.
There are only two possibilities I can think of:

He wanted to play 4141 like Arteta does with Havertz and Odegaard in front of Rice. He wanted to play Mount and Bruno as the two number 10's ahead of Casemiro in our 3 man midfield set-up. I think the idea was flawed from the beginning as neither of Mount or Bruno are very good on the ball and can't keep it under pressure like Odegaard can. In fact, Bruno is absolutely terrible at holding the ball or under any kind of pressure and deals with it as if its Kryptonite.

Or other the possibility is that he wanted Mount to slowly integrate him into the team in Bruno's position. It's a bit of stretch for me as that would mean that ETH had some kind of plan.

Rossa

At the start of the season, nobody knew what Mainoo could do at this level. Hindsight is nice, but you cannot base your season on an unproven 18 year old as a starter for central midfield.

Was Mount the wrong choice, most likely, but Mainoo has been a surprise to most.

Highfather_24

At the start of the season, nobody knew what Mainoo could do at this level. Hindsight is nice, but you cannot base your season on an unproven 18 year old as a starter for central midfield.

Was Mount the wrong choice, most likely, but Mainoo has been a surprise to most.
I agree. Which is why we needed a player in the Mainoo mould, in that profile, not an AM like Mount.

As for the playing both Bruno and Mount idea, yeah we have already seen that doesnt work. If Bruno was Modric/KdB/Odegaard it could have worked, but its Bruno so its not gonna work.

RuudTom83

Just can't understand how he can fit in this team, or what he can provide to us.
Yeah that's the 60 million pound question...I've nothing against Mount and want him to do well! but I don't think any fan has ever understood the signing 100%

Maybe next season after a few departures/arrivals his position will become clearer.

But he needs to put theses injuries behind him first, last thing United need is another sicknote.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can’t see him starting over Bruno and don’t want him taking Mainoo’s place in the team.
I'm half expecting Ten Hag to play Mainoo as a 6 and slot Mount back in at that 8 spot.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
His comeback will be a Casemiro Mount Mainoo 3 with Bruno on the right and hopefully Rashford dropped for Garnacho on the left. That’ll be the next thing we try I’d say. To be fair Rasmus should get a bit more service with Mount in the team and Bruno crossing to him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Should drop Bruno for him.

Probably won't happen though.

Dalot at LB and Mount at RB. He can actually cross.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mac Allister has been awful for Liverpool at times
I don't watch Liverpool much, but my understanding is he started the season really poorly but has been in good form since the turn of the year.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A settled, pre injury MM would be better for us as a team than Bruno is, fight me.
Eh, it's a much of a muchness for me. I'm far from a Fernandes fan, but I think Mount's deficiencies are pretty similar to Fernandes. For me, both are very loose no.10/8 hybrids, offer very little defensively (other than high pressures), and he too isn't much cop with the ball in tight areas under pressure.

Fernandes is a ball hogger who wants to attempt the killer pass at every opportunity, Mount is one of those no.10s who likes to see less of the ball and pop up in pockets in the final third. Neither really fill me with hope.

I think Mount probably suits a 'modern' football side a little bit better, but I'm still not massively convinced by him.

iKeano

Just can't understand how he can fit in this team, or what he can provide to us.
No surprise really. Chelsea finished 12th last season and deemed him surplus to requirement... says it all.
He's been as anonymous when he's played as he has been when he's been hugging the physios bench. A complete waste of a signing.

lex talionis

Eh, it's a much of a muchness for me. I'm far from a Fernandes fan, but I think Mount's deficiencies are pretty similar to Fernandes. For me, both are very loose no.10/8 hybrids, offer very little defensively (other than high pressures), and he too isn't much cop with the ball in tight areas under pressure.

Fernandes is a ball hogger who wants to attempt the killer pass at every opportunity, Mount is one of those no.10s who likes to see less of the ball and pop up in pockets in the final third. Neither really fill me with hope.

I think Mount probably suits a 'modern' football side a little bit better, but I'm still not massively convinced by him.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but Mount fits much better into the system that we all thought we were getting from ETH. Bruno has the killer glory ball but he does not at all fit into a structured style of play.

Whether we want to see the kind of chaotic football Bruno guarantees us is a different question, but if we don’t and want to see more cohesion in our play then top Mason trumps top Bruno.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but Mount fits much better into the system that we all thought we were getting from ETH. Bruno has the killer glory ball but he does not at all fit into a structured style of play.

Whether we want to see the kind of chaotic football Bruno guarantees us is a different question, but if we don’t and want to see more cohesion in our play then top Mason trumps top Bruno.
Seconded, this is how I feel as well.

FerociousCorgis

i mean i guess, absolutely best case scenario is EtH was thinking mount comes in, plays well, and we can start weaning off Bruno and maybe move on from him and have mount lead the attack in midfield with a more structured approach? Anything else and this is just a dumbass signing. The Alexis Sanchez signing of the midfield when we decided when we had two good players at the LW spot in rashford/martial at the time to bring another high money signing there.