Mbappe vs Rashford - Taking the L from Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
What a thread... Amazing the sort of rose-tinted glasses some people put on when things are going well. :lol:

Hawks2008

Honestly don't think the distance between Kane and Lukaku is far. They're both excellent strikers but one has had the benefit of being at a better team and being the main penalty taker for them the past few seasons so this season will shed more light on Kane v Lukaku. I think Lukaku is gonna finally get that golden boot this season.
Damn, guess I got a little carried away when Lukaku was banging goals at the start of the season. Kane has continued to prove he is in the elite bracket of strikers and Lukaku hasn't shown anything to suggest he's near Kane thus far.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Damn, guess I got a little carried away when Lukaku was banging goals at the start of the season. Kane has continued to prove he is in the elite bracket of strikers and Lukaku hasn't shown anything to suggest he's near Kane thus far.
You're not the only one to have been proved wrong. At the beginning of the season, my impression was that the difference between the two was negligible, with Kane perhaps a bit ahead of the curve.

I now know better. Kane is quite clearly among the very best in the world, while Lukaku is nowhere near that level.

Mainoldo

lool. Well was good in hindsight. The only thing I can say Rashford still has time to perfect his craft. Lukaku is just Kak, everyone is talking about his improved hold up play but watching Kane, he's miles behind even in that aspect.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
lool. Well was good in hindsight. The only thing I can say Rashford still has time to perfect his craft. Lukaku is just Kak, everyone is talking about his improved hold up play but watching Kane, he's miles behind even in that aspect.
I don't think Lukaku as a target man is even better than Giroud, other than he is younger.

Canagel

The Lukaku Kane comparison is more reasonable. Comparing Mbappe to Rashford however is ridiculous. They are miles apart currently and Rashford has some catching up to do.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This thread looks really funny now. Kane turns out to be so far ahead of Lukaku now, while Mbappe is also miles ahead of Rashford.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This thread looks really funny now. Kane turns out to be so far ahead of Lukaku now, while Mbappe is also miles ahead of Rashford.
Least some of us came out smelling like roses, though it wasn't the biggest of calls to say Kane > Lukaku and Mbappe > Rashford. Should be painfully obvious to anyone with an iota of football IQ.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
It was pretty daft when the thread was made. The replies were fairly unanimous that Mbappe is miles ahead of Rashford (apart from the few talking about Ligue 1 being a farmers league ignoring that Mbappe also performed in the CL) while Kane is ahead of Lukaku

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Kane and Mbappe for me. Though I'd like to see Mbappe in a real competition and even though Kane is better, Lukaku may be just as productive or even more so this year. Just think Kane's ceiling is higher.
Damn you Rom, you were gonna be at least as productive :p

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Still well short of the discussion of if you'd swap Januzaj for Ronaldo with most saying they would not

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I assume this is the right place.

Lukaku missed an open goal at 0-0.
Kane buries a difficult header at 0-0.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
To be fair there were only OP and 1-2 others arguing for Rashford while most thought it not even a contest.
Oh, you're right! I've just now read the replies and people were rightly slaughtering this comparison.

Josep Dowling

Lukaku was never good enough to be a United striker and never will be.

He has had a one on one chance in each of the 3 games this season, and missed every single one.

Goals change games. Had we had gone 1-0 up against Brighton or Spurs and I have every confidence we would have gone on to win the games, as we usually did last year. This team bottles it when we go 1-0 down.

Zlatan getting injured really did us over. Because of his injury we had to buy a CF and in effect took most of our transfer budget last summer. As with the luck United is getting there was no top quality strikers available. Our choice was either Morata or Lukaku.

Yes he scores goals but we need someone who scored goals at clinical moments, which he doesn’t do.

izec

Rashford and Lukaku are so far off Mbappe and Kane. I think i am closer to Rashford than he is to Mbappe.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You have to say Kane’s header was top class, he had a pretty poor game but I can’t think of too many players right now that would have scored that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That Rashford move to West Ham gets closer with each passing game.
Rashford reminds me of Oscar, not in play style but in how they lived off a debut double for years (Oscar vs Juve and Rashford vs Arsenal).

TheReligion

Abusive
Rashford reminds me of Oscar, not in play style but in how they lived off a debut double for years (Oscar vs Juve and Rashford vs Arsenal).
I assume this is a wind up and you're not that stupid? Please say you're not THAT stupid...

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I assume this is a wind up and you're not that stupid? Please say you're not THAT stupid...
If think Rashford is anything other than a bang average player then the only person being stupid here is you.(im assuming its the Rashford reference thats brought the salt out and not Oscar).

TheReligion

Abusive
Wait, you actually think Rashford is top class? :eek:
Eh? I wasn't asked for my opinion on him. What I do know is it's ridiculous and small minded to write off a 20 year old player who has quite alot of talent. Hes also done more than 'score two goals like Oscar' (a player you signed for big money whilst our academy created Rashford for zero)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Eh? I wasn't asked for my opinion on him. What I do know is it's ridiculous and small minded to write off a 20 year old player who has quite alot of talent. Hes also done more than 'score two goals like Oscar' (a player you signed for big money whilst our academy created Rashford for zero)
This isn't about "writing anyone off", when i watch him i don't see this amazing player he is suppose to be or could be (the fact he use to get compared to Mbappe shows how hyped he was), Martial say you can see untapped potential for the right coach, but what exactly suggests Rashford can be at the level you require? (when i say level i grew up watching you lot sweep up, im assuming the long term plan is to get back to that level? Would he have ever been more than a squad player in Fergie sides?) and just to stop you trying to paint some sort of agenda, i say similar about Loftus Cheek.

There seems to be some weird **** in England that you can't critize a player that's under 24, unless his names Sterling. Maybe the bluntness in the way i said it was a bit harsh, but often i see his breakthrough months used to defend his recent form, and that was exactly what happened with Oscar when the realization he wasn't going to be as good as we thought hit us.

If he turns into this top player, if im still about ill happily hold my hands up and admit im wrong, however sorry if this upsets you but i just don't see it. I personally believe he's found his level as a squad player for club and country.

TheReligion

Abusive
This isn't about "writing anyone off", when i watch him i don't see this amazing player he is suppose to be or could be (the fact he use to get compared to Mbappe shows how hyped he was), Martial say you can see untapped potential for the right coach, but what exactly suggests Rashford can be at the level you require? (when i say level i grew up watching you lot sweep up, im assuming the long term plan is to get back to that level? Would he have ever been more than a squad player in Fergie sides?) and just to stop you trying to paint some sort of agenda, i say similar about Loftus Cheek.

There seems to be some weird **** in England that you can't critize a player that's under 24, unless his names Sterling. Maybe the bluntness in the way i said it was a bit harsh, but often i see his breakthrough months used to defend his recent form, and that was exactly what happened with Oscar when the realization he wasn't going to be as good as we thought hit us.

If he turns into this top player, if im still about ill happily hold my hands up and admit im wrong, however sorry if this upsets you but i just don't see it. I personally believe he's found his level as a squad player for club and country.
That makes more sense than the silly stuff you said about Oscar whom you signed at 21 for £25m.

I think people forget Rashford was 18 when he broke through at United by scoring two on his European debut. He then went on to score a number of important goals including ones against City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

He's a talented kid who has slowed down over the past 12 months but that can be for a number of reasons. United are struggling with cohesion up top so hardly an ideal setting for him. That said perhaps we will look at him differently as he's a Manchester lad born locally and brought up through the club. I do think he's gifted though (think you'd be blind not to see it) and you have to accept these inconsistencies with young forwards. He is still only 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.