5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiz4231

No, not really. He's nothing like Di Maria.

Reminds me of Obertan though. Clumsy as feck when he's playing against third rate teams.
I didn't say he was like Di Maria. Depay is a very good player with a lot of talent, confidence is what he needs like Di Maria, he needs to be able to express himself like Di Maria and that's 2 of the reasons why both player did/are not do well under LVG because he's restrictive, methodical, boring, ancient, stubborn idiot of a manager.
Anyway who did Di Maria remind you of whilst playing for UTD?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Fair enough but at least give him some time to adjust to the new league. How is he ever going to improve if he only ever plays crap opposition (and Arsenal).
He has made 40 appearances for over 2200 minutes, any 21/22 year old who has been as poor as him would be ecstatic to be playing that much.

Because Depay can actually play as a striker. The rule is to play the players in their most unnatural position.
Based on what? Memphis has hardly ever played as a striker and Young used to play as a striker some times for Watford.

DocRockter

Did more with his 18mins that Lingard, Mata, Rashford(not going to judge the boy) did all game.. He's got that edge in him which will make him even better in the future.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He did in the WC didn't he? Guess it was a pretty different formation and stuff.
Just seems strange that he wasn't tried there even once.
Even at the WC he played on the left. Robben usually came from the middle or right and kuyt was the rightback in a five man defence.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Valencia? For what so they can score more goals past us or to blast the balls into fullbacks or is it to watch him do his little swivel donkey dance before he passes back to a CB.
More useful? Who Januzaj or Pereira, I'd like to see that too or being LVG it be more Fellaini, Weir, Keane etc. Depay hasn't played well in a while and he hasn't adapted to the PL, remind you of anyone? Di Maria whos on fire now because he's being used for his ability, talented and he's allowed to express himself not suppress himself and played in a boring systematic philosophy with no flair or eagerness to take the game to the opposition.
Meh, he's underwhelming and somehow people seem to go to him as some example of how bad LVG played him. Was pathetic in both legs against City and playing in a worse league. Also he didn't do much when they lost to monaco and drew to Lille. I don't believe he's performing any better really.

Back to Depay, he's got pre-season to work out what kind of player he wants to be. I won't fully judge what he could be on this season, but he got a proper wake up call that he's not made it and not as good as people have been telling him, yet.

Litch

Meh, he's underwhelming and somehow people seem to go to him as some example of how bad LVG played him. Was pathetic in both legs against City and playing in a worse league. Also he didn't do much when they lost to monaco and drew to Lille. I don't believe he's performing any better really.

Back to Depay, he's got pre-season to work out what kind of player he wants to be. I won't fully judge what he could be on this season, but he got a proper wake up call that he's not made it and not as good as people have been telling him, yet.
Think that's fair. Giving him the 7 shirt didn't help him either. There are a lot of negatives about being a Dutch footballer at the moment....

wiz4231

I hope he hasn't been broken by LVG. A player like Depay with his back ground is not easy to nurture.

spenzo

That's more like the Memphis I was expecting! Someone should've gambled on that ball. He's growing into the game.

spenzo

Quite clearly a confidence player who thrives off of being involved in the game as well. Always looked better when he's had a run of games but I doubt he'll get it for the rest of the year. Shame because he was playing well for a few games not too long ago then was dropped after one average match. Hope for him yet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Much improved second half. He is guilt of being too casual too often.

togg

I can see why Giggs is so frustrated with him, because he has the talent, has the ability....but just doesn't seem 100% committed to making a go of it. For someone like Giggs, that is the biggest sin a player can do in football.

drdoityourself

The team performance was a bit anemic but I liked his second half performance. Created a good chance for Rooney and hit the post. Made good decision on the ball. He struggles a bit after he beats a man a, doesn't have the composure to look up and deliver a cross to the correct space.
Still I've got plenty of time for him, positive player in possession, there aren't enough of those these days.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Quite clearly a confidence player who thrives off of being involved in the game as well. Always looked better when he's had a run of games but I doubt he'll get it for the rest of the year. Shame because he was playing well for a few games not too long ago then was dropped after one average match. Hope for him yet.
Funny how his confidence almost always goes missing against anyone half decent.

He's not a confidence player. Just another player who likes playing shite teams.

Eddy_JukeZ

Was better in the 2nd half, but Villa are woeful. Want to see him play well vs a good side.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Funny how his confidence almost always goes missing against anyone half decent.

He's not a confidence player. Just another player who likes playing shite teams.
Nothing wrong with having a flat track bully, need them sometimes.

RedorDead21

He scored the goal that got us into the CL proper didnt he? If he did that repaid financially alot of his fee this year. Its his first season in the PL. Judging him now is what Maureen did with de bruyne and it sometimes doesnt work out like that....

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just need to stick it out with him, he'll become a good player in time... Did pretty well today, but he has barely played any minutes the last few months, so the rare chances he gets he is under huge pressure to make any impact so that can lead to poor performances (like we saw often from Nani). Also add in that he has to do this in LvG's super slow and anti risk system with no real quality in attack apart from Martial, and he has someone who is primarily a center back overlapping him... It's hardly the ideal scenario for a young player moving to a different league to succeed in is it? Martial has done it (even though he's been inconsistent too and had plenty of quiet/ineffectual performances), but not everybody is like that.

Let's wait and see how he does next season with Mourinho, in what I assume will be a more functioning team, higher confidence, and more quality around him so we don't look to him or other 20 year olds to carry the team. Applies to basically all our younger players really.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's no coincidence he started off well with Shaw overlapping him and giving him an option to work with.

Jetro Willems did a great job at PSV helping him make their left flank a real weapon, and with him keeping the width it would let Memphis go wondering, finding pockets of space to shoot or pass from. Rojo tries but unfortunately lacks the finesse to really do well in that roll. He often times his runs forward poorly too to actually be a help.

1 thing our team really lacks together is chemistry, we rarely look a team rather than a bunch of individuals.

Classical Mechanic

He scored the goal that got us into the CL proper didnt he? If he did that repaid financially alot of his fee this year. Its his first season in the PL. Judging him now is what Maureen did with de bruyne and it sometimes doesnt work out like that....
That kind of logic will end up in you converting to Scientology.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With more attackers coming in the summer, he's going to struggle for game time.

Classical Mechanic

Not writing off players after their first season in the PL..? He's a kid.....Jesus Arsenal fans were looking for the real Ozil to show up in this which might be his 3rd season?
It is more that you are reaching for tenuous achievements that have no real reflection on his his capabilities to be a consistent t performer at the highest level.

RedorDead21

It is more that you are reaching for tenuous achievements that have no real reflection on his his capabilities to be a consistent t performer at the highest level.
Oh get ta feck. The stepover kid came right. This lad is older granted but he's only young. Pump for Pedro and what do you get? Pump for a kid and its a toss of a coin also but he wanted to come. Thats worth alot in itself. This club is nothing if we can't give them more than one season. Some people on here back nani who had bloody years to prove himself!!

Status
Not open for further replies.