5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dichinero

Oh get ta feck. The stepover kid came right. This lad is older granted but he's only young. Pump for Pedro and what do you get? Pump for a kid and its a toss of a coin also but he wanted to come. Thats worth alot in itself. This club is nothing if we can't give them more than one season. Some people on here back nani who had bloody years to prove himself!!
This

Sylar

He was decent. He grew into the game, and what i liked is he wasnt predictable and was trying things. He was going out wide as well as cutting in.

What I do think is we should see him get better next season once we have a better full back (eg Shaw) on the left with him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Ropey first half. Was better in the second. He's a much better player when he ditches the needless flicks and trickery and just keeps it simple and direct. There was a moment in the first half when he tried to control the ball by sticking his leg out behind him and bring it over with the outside of his foot. Utterly needless, and he predictably lost possession. He needs to bin that. Get the ball, run at his opposite number and create something.

What's happened to his shooting though? Scored some screamers last season. He just can't keep his shots down right now.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He's the kind of player that a Mourinho would sell . He has his work cut out for him if Jose become a manager,especially as we might even sign players in his position.
I think we are likely to see Martial on the left and a new striker at 9

Lentwood

Memphis will always divide opinion because he is a flair player - like Di Maria & Nani

All three will try flicks when a simple pass in on, have shots from 30 yards that have people 50 rows back ducking and might also get caught out defensively.

In my opinion though, give me a player who tries things and has real raw ability over a Lingard or a Mata any day. You can afford to have one player, especially a winger, who is a bit of a maverick when you are playing teams who put XI behind the ball.

Some people need to realise that you cant have your cake and eat it. The same people slagging off Memphis will be over on the LvG out thread saying we are boring, conservative and pedestrian....

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Memphis will always divide opinion because he is a flair player - like Di Maria & Nani

All three will try flicks when a simple pass in on, have shots from 30 yards that have people 50 rows back ducking and might also get caught out defensively.

In my opinion though, give me a player who tries things and has real raw ability over a Lingard or a Mata any day. You can afford to have one player, especially a winger, who is a bit of a maverick when you are playing teams who put XI behind the ball.

Some people need to realise that you cant have your cake and eat it. The same people slagging off Memphis will be over on the LvG out thread saying we are boring, conservative and pedestrian....
The thing with Memphis is that unlike di Maria and Nani, I haven't seen any of his fancy things work, nor have I seen him try that many actually.
The thing he tries consistently is long shots, that's not the mark of a flair player. He doesn't seem to have a large number of tricks 1v1 with a defender, it's mostly feint one way, go the other. And nowadays since people have worked that out, it's feint inside, go outside, cross. If it worked everytime it's still ok but hardly in the same league as Nani, who could shoot with both feet and was utterly unpredictable for his marker.

Memphis seems strong, decently quick but not rapid, and has shown very few flashes of vision. His crossing and shooting is strictly ok. I definitely don't see him as an antidote to our sterile play, like Nani sometimes used to be in SAF's last season.

Of course, he can get better, I just hope the raw materials are still underneath somewhere.

dichinero

Memphis is a confidence player as many have stated here. It's difficult to judge an attacking player under the stewardship of LvG. The man is a killer of confidence and instinctive ability. While it's the responsibility of a player to pick themselves up and hustle through, it's difficult when your manager is LvG. I still hold very high hopes for the kid.

Memphis, for me has always been a wide forward, where he relies on pace and power, direct play and shots, rather than a winger where he is required to be reliant on creativity, dribbling ability and defensive contributions. There is a massive difference between a wide forward and a winger, a former position is where I think Memphis will flourish the most.

Stringer

He's not in the same league as Nani or Di Maria. What flair has he shown? Aside from a few games against poor opposition he can't even beat his full back. I'm sure he will improve but so far this season he has shown nothing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Memphis doesn't have anywhere near the ability of Nani or Di Maria. If you think he does, you're imagining a different player.

Adisa

He's the kind of player that a Mourinho would sell . He has his work cut out for him if Jose become a manager,especially as we might even sign players in his position.
This is what I think to. Don't think Mourinho will fancy him at all. If you are playing for Mourinho, it's either you have supreme work rate or you're supremely talented. Memphis is neither of those things.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Premier league's flop of the season? Perhaps Benteke edges it.
Nah hes definitely the flop of the season IMO, especially with all the hype, hopefully he can turn it around.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd go with Benteke or Sterling way ahead of Memphis as flop of the year. Both cost significantly more, Sterling especially, both know the league and didn't need to acclimatise to it like Memphis has, and both have been no better.

Tosicsleftpeg

I'd go with Benteke or Sterling way ahead of Memphis as flop of the year. Both cost significantly more, Sterling especially, both know the league and didn't need to acclimatise to it like Memphis has, and both have been no better.
Sterling was actually quite good for a bit though, looked a key player and bagged a few goals. Depay although costing 20m less has done nothing at all apart from have a good game against an awful danish side and an slightly better Belgian side.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Depay has done feck all for us. Goals against nothing teams shouldn't be on his measuring stick. He's had his year of settling in, next season its really sink or swim - we can't be carrying any passengers anymore.

prath92

Yeah I see mourinho selling him and januzaj.

LouisDanGaal

Why is everyone so against him? With some confidence he could be a flat track bully next season which is exactly what we need. We struggle to break down the worst teams in the league but if we can get him fully confident he can create that randomness in the final third where most of the stuff doesn't come off but some does and we get goals. Certainly has showed more than Lingard this season or Januzaj last.

Stringer

Why is everyone so against him? With some confidence he could be a flat track bully next season which is exactly what we need. We struggle to break down the worst teams in the league but if we can get him fully confident he can create that randomness in the final third where most of the stuff doesn't come off but some does and we get goals. Certainly has showed more than Lingard this season or Januzaj last.
People are 'against' him because he has been awful.

I don't even rate Lingard but there is no way Depay has shown more. He's been poor against pretty much all decent opposition.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Confidence isn't his only problem. His decision making is poor, his attitude was questioned, his work rate defensively isn't up to standards. His technique isn't exactly setting the world alight either.

LouisDanGaal

People are 'against' him because he has been awful.

I don't even rate Lingard but there is no way Depay has shown more. He's been poor against pretty much all decent opposition.
I do think people are quite against him, but I think its mainly because we all bought into the hype and got excited, and what comes up must come down.

Lingard for me has never put in a performance that suggests he is United quality, Depay has put in the best individual performance in the post fergie united and played well in a couple of others.

LouisDanGaal

Confidence isn't his only problem. His decision making is poor, his attitude was questioned, his work rate defensively isn't up to standards. His technique isn't exactly setting the world alight either.
I agree with you but his decision making will not improve with cameos. Defensive work rate is something he should definitely work on this summer if he wants to get his chance again, although not sure how close I want him next to our goal after that backpass against Southampton, or whoever it was.

Stacks

Memphis is a confidence player as many have stated here. It's difficult to judge an attacking player under the stewardship of LvG. The man is a killer of confidence and instinctive ability. While it's the responsibility of a player to pick themselves up and hustle through, it's difficult when your manager is LvG. I still hold very high hopes for the kid.

Memphis, for me has always been a wide forward, where he relies on pace and power, direct play and shots, rather than a winger where he is required to be reliant on creativity, dribbling ability and defensive contributions. There is a massive difference between a wide forward and a winger, a former position is where I think Memphis will flourish the most.
Isn't every player a confidence player in a way?
I do think people are quite against him, but I think its mainly because we all bought into the hype and got excited, and what comes up must come down.

Lingard for me has never put in a performance that suggests he is United quality, Depay has put in the best individual performance in the post fergie united and played well in a couple of others.
Jesus. opposition? If I play for my past semi pro club and play a blinder against an under 16's team, it don't mean I am talented. It just means I can bully shite players.

WhoDaGOAT

Jesus. opposition? If I play for my past semi pro club and play a blinder against an under 16's team, it don't mean I am talented. It just means I can bully shite players.
A bit disrespectful to the Danes who beat us in the first leg.

LouisDanGaal

The rest of the team played the same opposition and we have several times played worse sides from lower divisions. He was phenomenal in that match and much better than any of our other players have been against anyone. We have struggled against league one sides remember.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The rest of the team played the same opposition and we have several times played worse sides from lower divisions. He was phenomenal in that match and much better than any of our other players have been against anyone. We have struggled against league one sides remember.
Hes been phenomenal in games where he has had it easy, lets see him do it in games where he is double marked and playing against better/more physical defenders.

LouisDanGaal

Hes been phenomenal in games where he has had it easy, lets see him do it in games where he is double marked and playing against better/more physical defenders.
That's my point though, against better teams he might not be able to do it, but if he is on form and playing regularly I fancy his chances of putting teams like Villa and Norwich to bed. He hadn't played in a while the other day and still hit the post and put the ball in dangerous areas a couple of times. I don't see any of this from Lingard, I've never been watching a game and thought Lingard has got the beating of a player. If Martial and Rashford continue to develop it will get easier as you can't double mark three players.

Stacks

means nothing. Just because he bullied the poor opposition the most doesn't mean he is some talented player. I have played blinders when playing against poor opposition but I wasn't near the best player in the team. I just showed up and took the mick because I could get away with it. In training I'm sure many of these players do outrageous tricks. The mark of a man is how he copes with adversity, not when all is comfortable, the sun is shining, baby goats are trotting along, everyone is happy eating cupcakes and marshmallows. I was more excited last season for example when players like Herrera was performing from Feb-May against premier league teams as I thought, "we can work with this." Memphis destroying Midgetland, I felt was just a nice, showy cameo but I was riddled with doubts still.

LouisDanGaal

means nothing. Just because he bullied the poor opposition the most doesn't mean he is some talented player. I have played blinders when playing against poor opposition but I wasn't near the best player in the team. I just showed up and took the mick because I could get away with it. In training I'm sure many of these players do outrageous tricks. The mark of a man is how he copes with adversity, not when all is comfortable, the sun is shining, baby goats are trotting along, everyone is happy eating cupcakes and marshmallows. I was more excited last season for example when players like Herrera was performing from Feb-May against premier league teams as I thought, "we can work with this." Memphis destroying Midgetland, I felt was just a nice, showy cameo but I was riddled with doubts still.
Yeah but that hasn't exactly worked out has it? Herrera this season has been almost a non-entity and I am a huge fan of his, during that run against Liverpool, City and Tottenham he was the best player in our team and was dictating tempo brilliantly. Your blinders haven't been against teams who won their league, qualified for europe and knocked Southampton out of the same competition, a team seventh in our league. At the time that game was probably the biggest of the season and after the first leg we looked to be on the way out and Depay showed up and dragged us through the game, its easy to be revisionist and say look how poor the opposition were, but look how poor we were at that time, it was during an absolutely terrible stretch of form for us and we finally had a shining light. He also more than held his own against Bellerin the next week before being dumped out the team again, almost just randomly as is LVG's way.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Less 'the most' more single handedly, he was leagues about everyone else on the pitch that match and in batches he's shown some true quality. He's also had some real stinkers but I'd have a player with the ability to win matches on his own playing opposed to Lingard who is a consistent 5/10 type player. With a bit of trust and regular play them he could potentially find some real form.

Adisa

A bad sign when he's already having showdown talks about his future.

Stacks

Yeah but that hasn't exactly worked out has it? Herrera this season has been almost a non-entity and I am a huge fan of his, during that run against Liverpool, City and Tottenham he was the best player in our team and was dictating tempo brilliantly. Your blinders haven't been against teams who won their league, qualified for europe and knocked Southampton out of the same competition, a team seventh in our league. At the time that game was probably the biggest of the season and after the first leg we looked to be on the way out and Depay showed up and dragged us through the game, its easy to be revisionist and say look how poor the opposition were, but look how poor we were at that time, it was during an absolutely terrible stretch of form for us and we finally had a shining light. He also more than held his own against Bellerin the next week before being dumped out the team again, almost just randomly as is LVG's way.
Midgetland played southampton basically pre season. Anyone can beat anyone then, and they were still lucky. didn't west ham get beat by some crap team also? Lets not revise Midgetlands status. Evevyone saw this as merely and adventure for them, a chance for them to visit Old Trafford for the first time in their 10 year history, yet as always against any old team, we made them look half decent. Since Southampton, they scraped through their EUROPA LEAGUE group, hadn't won in 10 games and had a 2 month break from actually playing football (longer than off season). They truely were the pits and it showed in the replay. Oh and they conceded 9 against Napoli

Depay held his own against Bellerin as I'm sure Ashley young could and Tony V. I'd like to see my winger skin Bellerin and give him a torrid time. That would be swell. He wasn't dumped out of the team at random. It was because we had no more games vs pub players and LVG wants his wingers to be dangerous threats

Last edited:

Stacks

Less 'the most' more single handedly, he was leagues about everyone else on the pitch that match and in batches he's shown some true quality. He's also had some real stinkers but I'd have a player with the ability to win matches on his own playing opposed to Lingard who is a consistent 5/10 type player. With a bit of trust and regular play them he could potentially find some real form.
what the hell?!?! In 15 premier league starts, Lingaard has 4 goals and 1 assist, In 4 champions league sub apps, he has 1 goal and 2 assists. Thus he has an impact at a much higher level than Memphis. But Memphis who looks average vs anyone of the 25k per week standard, is supposed to be our starry talented number 7. He is just football's Adrien Broner. Lingaard is a Shawn Porter.

Status
Not open for further replies.