Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Back in training according to LVG, might have to play with the youth team to gain match fitness as is LVG protocol.
Didn't apply to Rooney

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He always looked a talented player, but I voiced reservations in the summer that he was not a player who runs with the ball and takes players on, which we needed. I would have prefered Douglas Costa or Lucas Moura if possible for this reason, although they will likely have inferior output, at st for a while.

I think he has more 'second striker' qualities in his skill-set than that of a top winger.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He always looked a talented player, but I voiced reservations in the summer that he was not a player who runs with the ball and takes players on, which we needed. I would have prefered Douglas Costa or Lucas Moura if possible for this reason, although they will likely have inferior output, at st for a while.

I think he has more 'second striker' qualities in his skill-set than that of a top winger.
Yeah him and Mata on the flanks together doesn't really work, for those reasons and a lack of penetration from either wing. Everything comes inside and gets crowded and easy to defend against.

gza the genius

I'm in the minority here, but I would prefer Young to be given a chance..he didnt really do anything to lose his place.
I mostly agree it's just Young is already 30, he's clearly not the future. I'd rather see Memphis given time now which will hopefully have us better off in seasons to come rather than persist with someone who will likely be gone in a year two.

But yeah, Young has been good for LVG and is probably the best option for us on current form.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I mostly agree it's just Young is already 30, he's clearly not the future. I'd rather see Memphis given time now which will hopefully have us better off in seasons to come rather than persist with someone who will likely be gone in a year two.

But yeah, Young has been good for LVG and is probably the best option for us on current form.
I understand where you are coming from..but without Shaw, I feel that we are more defensively solid with Young, especially if we do end up playing Blind as LB.

Memphis needs to be eased in with a start here and there, help him acclimatize. He can push on from next season, when hopefully we will be better too. Him and Rooney in the same side severely weakens us imo at present.

It'll be a good challenge for him, and hopefully he doesnt pull a Di Maria.

Kakeru

Memphis needs to be eased in with a start here and there, help him acclimatize. He can push on from next season, when hopefully we will be better too. Him and Rooney in the same side severely weakens us imo at present.
Let them fight for one single spot I say. They alternate starting positions and never start together, and this process is repeated and repeated until one definitely shoots himself in the foot big time.

K2K

Let them fight for one single spot I say. They alternate starting positions and never start together, and this process is repeated and repeated until one definitely shoots himself in the foot big time.
That would be something, but then we'd have a problem if Perreira or Young outperforms them when given the chance..but I love good old fashioned competition.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would like to see him given another shot in the 10 with martial as the 9. I think they would both work really well, especially against the weaker teams. They've already shown they link up nicely and I think their constant movement would cause chaos. Yes he's been a bit predictable on the wing, but I actually didn't mind what I saw when he started the beginning of the season, it's just that when he got switched wide against Brugge it seemed silly to put him back there again.

ChaddyP

Well, they are not working for the same spot. Right now, he's being benched by Martial on the wing, because of Rooney as striker. Lingard is backing up Mata.

We could really try Memphis on the wing again with Martial upfront. But that means the captain is out.
No it means Herrera is out

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would like to see him given another shot in the 10 with martial as the 9. I think they would both work really well, especially against the weaker teams. They've already shown they link up nicely and I think their constant movement would cause chaos. Yes he's been a bit predictable on the wing, but I actually didn't mind what I saw when he started the beginning of the season, it's just that when he got switched wide against Brugge it seemed silly to put him back there again.
It's a bad idea of you ask me, he does not possess any attributes to play effectively the No 10 role. Not to mention there's even less space in the middle than out wide.

We have enough players who can play there anyway.

itso 7

He'd be ok if we had a pacy ball career on the other wing since he can score goals and you can never argue against goals. The problem, though, is that we lack that other player hence our struggles to get the ball in the box often enough, I would drop Mata and Rooney and give the trio of Depay/Lingard -Herrera - Young a few games behind Martial. Going forward we really need a top class ball career in the side.
I also want to see more from him in defensive/work rate sense.

K2K

I think he's an even worse 10 than Rooney and I'm glad Van Gaal abandoned that plan very very quickly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I had a dream last night that we sold him to Crystal Palace. :lol::nervous:

SirAF

Ageist
Very big night for him. I hope he keeps it simple and not try force it too much though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bit of a thankless task tonight. Play well and score and it's more evidence he can only do it at a lower level. Playing badly obviously brings its own criticisms.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Bit of a thankless task tonight. Play well and score and it's more evidence he can only do it at a lower level. Playing badly obviously brings its own criticisms.
I don't think LvG sees it that way though and that's what matters :)

jem

Anybody jumping to that conclusion this early in his United career needs to have their head checked. A strong performance tonight would do wonders for his confidence, I believe.

FujiVice

He needs to be playing in a side that is allowed to express themselves, which isnt the order of the day at Old Trafford these days.. His confidence must be on its arse right now. Nothing seems to be going right for him.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
He needs to be playing in a side that is allowed to express themselves, which isnt the order of the day at Old Trafford these days.. His confidence must be on its arse right now. Nothing seems to be going right for him.
Eh, not allowed to express himself ? He's cocking up pretty much every ball he gets, it's not about not being allowed to express himself, it's feck all confidence at this stage

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He seems to be expressing himself quite freely...just not very well. I don't think shooting from the half way line is part of some conservative managerial plan.

Last edited:

FujiVice

Eh, not allowed to express himself ? He's cocking up pretty much every ball he gets, it's not about not being allowed to express himself, it's feck all confidence at this stage
At what stage? You mean coming in to the side in a league cup game against a Championship side after being dropped for several games? I'd say his confidence is pretty shit at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.