5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

And playing him a week before the next United match is sensible. He most likely would have been rested for the France match had it went ahead and he was fit.

Hodgson also has a limited amount of games left to figure out his best team before a major tournament.
If Louis van Gaal tends to not use him for 90, why would Hodgson think to use him for 90 is a good idea?

I don't see how Hodgson using Carrick for 90 minutes in a major tournament with a quick succession of games is sensible.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
If Louis van Gaal tends to not use him for 90, why would Hodgson think to use him for 90 is a good idea?

I don't see how Hodgson using Carrick for 90 minutes in a major tournament with a quick succession of games is sensible.
Van Gaal has more options to pick from for that role than Hodgson. Who could Hodgson have brought on for him that wouldn't have forced him to reshuffle the whole team?

I agree if Hodgson was to do that next summer it wouldn't be sensible. There's no indication he will though, and I think it's more likely Carrick will be rotated well if he is to go.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Bringing on Shelvey earlier wouldn't have required any reshuffling of the team
Well, Shelvey is more of a box to box or attacking midfielder than a defensive one and if Hodgson did put him there it'd still require a change of tactics as Shelvey wouldn't be able to play the role like Carrick does.

The Red Thinker

If Carrick's injured. Then there's your Herrera playing time. I guess we can finally see W consistent run for Ander and how that affects the team.

finneh

If Carrick's injured. Then there's your Herrera playing time. I guess we can finally see W consistent run for Ander and how that affects the team.
I'm not sure the two are related to be honest. If Carrick is injured it probably means Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin start every game.

I think Lingard has more effect on Herrera. If he's playing well, Rooney plays in the number 10 position with Martial up front. Rather than Martial playing from the left with Rooney up top and Herrera behind.

The Red Thinker

Fair point. But
I'm not sure the two are related to be honest. If Carrick is injured it probably means Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin start every game.

I think Lingard has more effect on Herrera. If he's playing well, Rooney plays in the number 10 position with Martial up front. Rather than Martial playing from the left with Rooney up top and Herrera behind.
Champions League and FA Cup means rotation and that means more playing time for Ander if not a consistent run in the side.

Suddenly, having this many midfielders in the team has become a blessing. This is hoe a top club should function. One injury means equally good people step up.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As foolish as that may sound, I think he should be playing for England only if they promise him he'll be playing on tournament. There is really no reason for him to play for them if they continue playing/ignoring him as they did over last 10 years or so.

Btw, any news?

m1y2

pray for carrick,

although he was hitting good form I have no doubt we will cope with this loss with no pain, he's well covered by Basti and we also have two great players in Herrera and Morgan who showed on many occsions we don't really need Carrick..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Carrick doesn't play 90 minutes for United that often in competitive matches! Yet in a friendly against Spain who dominated the ball Carrick gets injured in the 91st minute.

It will be interesting to see Louis van Gaal's opinion on this, Hodgson has a responsibility to act sensibly.
Him not playing 90 regularly for United is his United manager's perogative. If his international manager decides 'I'd like to see Carrick for 90 mins against this lot', he's not going to think 'actually, maybe not, he may turn his ankle at the death'. That’s football, it's what Carrick signed up for and what he gets paid big bucks for. Club fans are quick to turn on 'stupid international managers' who overlook Carrick or one of their players, but don't seem to realise this is the unglamorous bits that earn players a spot in the international tournaments.

Carrick's injury is unfortunate, nothing more in my opinion. It is not a fecking travesty that he played a football match. That’s what he does.

Whiteside1985

Reasons to hate pointless international games; number 234......

:mad:

Hurry back, Michael.......
(although with Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin at least we are well covered compared to previous years, there is also Fellaini and Jones could play there if needed)

wiz4231

Herrera and Blind should be ahead of Jones there
And Fellaini.

I hope Sean Goss gets a run out in the team now as he is a similar player to Carrick, would be great to see another young talent of our added to the squad. It could be a blessing in disguise. Carrick aint getting any younger and if he has had a serious injury then it might just be the last we see of him.

ZDwyr

And Fellaini.

I hope Sean Goss gets a run out in the team now as he is a similar player to Carrick, would be great to see another young talent of our added to the squad. It could be a blessing in disguise. Carrick aint getting any younger and if he has had a serious injury then it might just be the last we see of him.
He was on the pre-season tour wasn't he?

SirAF

Ageist
Ogden writes that he'll most likely only miss Watford and PSV.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Ogden writes that he'll most likely only miss Watford and PSV.
Unsure if this is the first thing Ogden has published that I actually like the sound of...

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Very good to hear. Hopefully we keep him on the bench for it if he's not 100% though.

Empire

Van Gaal has more options to pick from for that role than Hodgson. Who could Hodgson have brought on for him that wouldn't have forced him to reshuffle the whole team?

I agree if Hodgson was to do that next summer it wouldn't be sensible. There's no indication he will though, and I think it's more likely Carrick will be rotated well if he is to go.
Hodgson should have planned this in advance not when he was out there, he knew it was a friendly and any risks with a player is not going to help anybody. Carrick having a good season for United benefits England as much as United therefore handling a player responsibly is important.

I can't see how playing him for 90 minutes (in a friendly) was ever the wise thing to do when he has hardly done that this season for United.

As it is he seems to be fine which is lucky but it's important the manager handles players sensibly.

Empire

Him not playing 90 regularly for United is his United manager's perogative. If his international manager decides 'I'd like to see Carrick for 90 mins against this lot', he's not going to think 'actually, maybe not, he may turn his ankle at the death'. That’s football, it's what Carrick signed up for and what he gets paid big bucks for. Club fans are quick to turn on 'stupid international managers' who overlook Carrick or one of their players, but don't seem to realise this is the unglamorous bits that earn players a spot in the international tournaments.

Carrick's injury is unfortunate, nothing more in my opinion. It is not a fecking travesty that he played a football match. That’s what he does.
If Carrick has hardly been playing 90 minutes for United then it's always a risk to use him for 90 minutes against Spain but for me the sensible thing is not to take the risk in a friendly. Use him for 60 or 70 minutes, risking injury is never sensible in a friendly because the player having a good season with his club and staying fit helps England.

As it is he seems fine but it was still a poor decision and Hodgson will have to improve his handling of him if he is to maximise his effectiveness this summer.

WyoManU

He seems to have hit the wall as well. Needs replacing after this season.

Minimalist

Oh definitely. He's cooked.

Slow isn't a strong enough word and I don't care if he's never been fast. I mean, he's literally a pensioner out there. Then again, maybe I'm blinded, as I've always had a grudge against him for his shitty and pathetic closing down for Robben's goal in 2010.

He's a passenger and we already have too many in this squad. Retire at the end of the season Mike, you're done.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Looks utterly out of his depth at this level now

Probably shouldn't play again if you ask me.

kundalini

What a negative performance that was from Carrick. First half hour he was absolutely shocking.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pedestrian, we need a different type of midfielder to move forward.
Yup. What was his purpose today? He didn't so anything defensively (in fact he in pulled out of a couple of 50/50s), he didn't dictate the tempo of our play and he created absolutely nothing.

Godfather

Invisible. Just like Mata. Doesn't have the legs anymore. His passing was woeful as well today.

Manny

Grammar Police
I didn't think he was that bad.

Kept us ticking over with his passing and maintained possession.

I doubt we would have had control of the game from 70 minutes onwards if he hadn't of played and I doubt Schweinsteiger could have played beyond 60 minutes if Carrick wasn't there to help control the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.