5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

Some quality interceptions and quality passing.

That was pretty good from him. Probably my MOTM.

bubbles_

Inconsistent tonight. Didn't know if he was going to send through a genius assist or blast it into the stands. Better from him though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
MOTM for me.

I want to see how much forward and long passes he tried today. I am guessing majority of his passes were forward, and I mean real forward passes ,not sideway passes that count as forward.

acnumber9

I don't get why people continue to underrate his contribution. His passing into the forwards is crucial for us.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's essential to us playing fluid, penetrative passing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Was good today much better than last week.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
So great to see a player always look for the through pass. Even though some of them didn't get to where they were supposed to he still kept looking for the runs, kept looking to move the ball forward.
Great to see again

ZDwyr

Thought he was the best player on the pitch. Great performance.

Kag

For the first time this season he decided to wear his testicles and, shock horror, he plays very well.

What's frustrating is that Carrick's game is entirely mental. It has nothing to do with ability or lack of legs. When his head is right he's fantastic. When it isn't, we get 'Boro. More of the same, please.

ChaddyP

Very good from him today. Sometimes he just needs a couple games off to clear his head. Was keeping things ticking played some good balls from deep and some crucial interceptions

Devil may care

He's always better in games where the opposition midfield sits off, he doesn't cope with pressure on the ball that well these days and in truth it was always his weak spot, but his passing through the lines adds a dimension to our play, he was in Imperial Probe Droid mode tonight.

Hojoon

He usually picks up form in November. Will be interesting to see who starts now once Schneiderlin gets fit.

Acole9

Outstanding
Welcome back Carrick, we've missed you. He was very good tonight, his passing was pretty much spot on. A lot more positive and decisive than any other time he's played this season. I hope I'm proven wrong and he's not finished with us just yet.

m1y2

if only he could perform like this every time hes on the pitch. gret performaance today, my top 3 str with lingard and mike

Loublaze

ATLien
@ivaldo

No chance, Blind destroys him in killer passes, when's the last time Carrick played a pass like that? How many of those passes has Blind already played this season?

What did you think of his passing against CSKA? His ball to Lingard was vital for our goal

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@ivaldo

No chance, Blind destroys him in killer passes, when's the last time Carrick played a pass like that? How many of those passes has Blind already played this season?

What did you think of his passing against CSKA? His ball to Lingard was vital for our goal
Wonderfully weighted pass for the goal, played a lot of sloppy passes as well though, one of which led to a chance. All in all a very good game from him, these are the games we should he playing both him and Blind, where we need that extra bit of vision to break down defenses.

LR7

Carrick was so awesome in 2012/13 because of the amount of those forward passes he was playing in pretty much every game. When play is a bit slow and laborious and opposition have everyone behind the ball, those incisive passes to the forwards are crucial as they take several players out of the game in an instant.

Red_Beans

His best performance so far this season. Hopefully he just experienced his usual slow start and is beginning to build up a head of steam now

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
When he's in form he injects urgency with his quick passing between the lines.

On a similar note I loved BFS's sudden burst through the middle - where did that come from?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
There were people trashing him in the match day thread calling him poor. And yet I thought he was really positive tonight with his passing and vision.
The matchday thread is knee jerky at the best of times, dread to think what is was like after nearly 4 games of not scoring!

Our next few games are against side we would be expecting to dominate in possession so I hope Carrick gets some time on the pitch despite him not having a good start to the season. Our best passer and I feel we are missing someone who plays balls forward.
Had a feeling he would get a start and he definitely delivered. Some of those passes were superb, reminded me of his 2012-13 season. That Scholesy-esque volley was brilliant too but whenever he hits a shot like that I question why on earth he doesn't strike from distance more often.

West Brom at home on Saturday so I hope he gets another start as we will be seeing a Tony Pulis bus parking masterclass I'm sure.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I've seen his passing last night described as sublime, world class etc

How?

He was inconsistent with his passing, gave it away as often as he hit the target. However, the good thing is that he assisted the goal with the initial pass out to the right

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He took a while to get into the game. Some really sloppy moments in the first half. Was class in the second half though, hence the plaudits.

It was interesting that he seemed to get better as Schweinsteiger deteriorated. I still don't think they're a natural partnership. If you ask me, finding the right blend of CMs is an ongoing struggle that doesn't look like being solved yet. Carrick and the two Sch's are all so similar they almost seem to cancel each other out.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle

How?

He was inconsistent with his passing, gave it away as often as he hit the target. However, the good thing is that he assisted the goal with the initial pass out to the right
Gave it away as often as he hit the target?

85 passes with a 89.4 percent completion (higher than any player bar Blind that started) rate according to Who scored. I'd say he hit his man often enough.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Gave it away as often as he hit the target?

85 passes with a 89.4 percent completion (higher than any player bar Blind that started) rate according to Who scored. I'd say he hit his man often enough.
I'd need to watch it again and count but I'd swear his pass completion would not be as high as that last night

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
I'd need to watch it again and count but I'd swear his pass completion would not be as high as that last night
I see where you are coming from in the first half. He was either playing a fantastic pass through the lines but then gave it away carelessly a couple of times, one of which led to a counter attack. 2nd half he was still playing the great passes but cut out any sloppiness

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Still the teams best passer for me when he wants to be. Seemed to try a lot more positive forward passes last night which was pleasing and the pass for the goal was sublime.

Loublaze

ATLien

How?

He only gave it away about three times but of course people will highlight the negatives and run with them.

Last edited:

Red_Beans

When he is on form and has time on the ball I still rate him as the player to break down opposition team defensive structures.

'breaking the bus' as it were

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I remember when there was a time when people used to make fun of him saying he only made sideways or back passes. His passing is very penetrative and his movement in midfield is actually very good. His close control and ability to turn and see a pass very quickly is totally underrated. As some have said, this is usually when he starts performing, he's a bit of a diesel. Looked great today, hope he can cement his starting spot in the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He took a while to get into the game. Some really sloppy moments in the first half. Was class in the second half though, hence the plaudits.

It was interesting that he seemed to get better as Schweinsteiger deteriorated. I still don't think they're a natural partnership. If you ask me, finding the right blend of CMs is an ongoing struggle that doesn't look like being solved yet. Carrick and the two Sch's are all so similar they almost seem to cancel each other out.
Carrick and Herrera in a midfield two seems the most balanced on paper to me really. Has the blend of energy, passing range, creativity, attacking intent, defensive shielding. But that's only if we're going to do a 4-4-2 with 2 center mids. If we want a 4-2-3-1, with 2 holding mids, then Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger probably. The problem is, that our only central midfielder who is attack minded is Herrera. Carrick is capable of playing those incisive passes, but started the season really slowly so deservedly wasn't starting. And he's naturally a holding mid and not a creative/attacking minded midfielder who can run with the ball and make things happen like Herrera can. Also on Herrera, he's been playing a lot more reserved as a 10, and been too negative if anything, always just recycling possession. Van Gaal probably likes it more then how he was before, but it'd be better for us attacking wise if he took more risks like he is naturally inclined to do really.

Status
Not open for further replies.