Mo Salah

GoldanoGraham

He peaked before Xmas last year and was bang average after. Without Mane he will be even less effective. Think this maybe Liverpools Ozil and Aubemeung.

We can’t say anything though as we’ve made this mistake time after time.

Stadjer

He peaked before Xmas last year and was bang average after. Without Mane he will be even less effective. Think this maybe Liverpools Ozil and Aubemeung.

Lets hope he is but i wouldnt count on it. People also thought he was average and wouldnt be good for Liverpool when he signed for them. Look how that turned out. He is a very good player who is even better in Klopp his system.

Conor

Anyone saying Salah is bang average needs their head examined.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Think they'll look back on this as a mistake. Had a fairly good hold on their wage structure and now it's anything goes. Of course everyone else will want higher wages and rightly so. He's not even finishing a particularly good season, and he's unlikely to see better form within the time of his new contract than we've seen in the last 3-4 years.

Since they were going to depart from a more sensible wage structure, they could have tried to pin down Mane. Seems to me a player who is such a blessed natural athlete that he'll keep performing at the top level for years. Anyhow, think they made a big error here in giving into Salah's demands. Which is great.

IceManFtw

The best player in the league is bang average.. Wobble your head mate

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Think they'll look back on this as a mistake. Had a fairly good hold on their wage structure and now it's anything goes. Of course everyone else will want higher wages and rightly so. He's not even finishing a particularly good season, and he's unlikely to see better form within the time of his new contract than we've seen in the last 3-4 years.

Since they were going to depart from a more sensible wage structure, they could have tried to pin down Mane. Seems to me a player who is such a blessed natural athlete that he'll keep performing at the top level for years. Anyhow, think they made a big error here in giving into Salah's demands. Which is great.
Wow.

Josh 76

How many players have done a video saying "I'm staying" as if they are a brand new signing for the club? Bit embarrassing
Exactly
The way the media and Liverpool fans are talking , it’s like they have signed a new 100m player. He was always going to be playing for Liverpool this coming season.

GoldanoGraham

The best player in the league is bang average.. Wobble your head mate
Best player by miles before Xmas but certainly not after….his form fell off dramatically after Afcon.

He will miss Sane massively and now they’ve blown their wage structure surely won’t be too long before others are looking for parity.

Just look at the mistakes we’ve made by dishing out huge wages that become the benchmark.

El Jefe

Reading this thread since the extension is quite funny. If Salah was our player and achieved what he has at Liverpool, this place would be jumping for joy.

You'd have thought it was Jota that was given £350k given some of the replies in here.

How is keeping a player who has consistently been a top 3 player in the league anything but a win for Liverpool, and also how is such a player not worth £350k.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Hopefully more players kick up a fuss and twist their arms during their contract negotiations, breaking wage structure for your best player isn't necessarily a big problem until it starts snowballing and other players start seeking big money too

There's a slight risk given the mileage on those legs due to intense last 3-4 years. But, ultimately he scores 30 goals a season. Great renewal

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Great deal for news, they tied up one of the best players in the world for few more years.

Btw did Liverpool journalists report how he took paycut to sign new contract?

Anyways it's funny how the contract is reported.
Mohamed Salah has agreed a new three-year contract worth in excess of £350,000-a-week that will make him the highest paid player in Liverpool’s history.
No one cares about "excess of", they will stick to 350K. Amazing how different journalists report wages for different clubs.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Best player by miles before Xmas but certainly not after….his form fell off dramatically after Afcon.

He will miss Sane massively and now they’ve blown their wage structure surely won’t be too long before others are looking for parity.

Just look at the mistakes we’ve made by dishing out huge wages that become the benchmark.
To players who never came close to deserving that money. Salah has earned this bump, reading some posts in this thread, I feel like I'm from another reality.

NoLogo

Well, given that Liverpool has been to 3 CL finals in 4 years and their players are constantly talked about as some of the best in the world, it's time for them to also pay the big bucks to their players now. And about 350k pw seems okay for a player who has been the top goalscorer in the league 3 times.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To players who never came close to deserving that money. Salah has earned this bump, reading some posts in this thread, I feel like I'm from another reality.
Exactly, football is dominated by 33 and 34 year old Lewa and Benzema, somehow few think retaining Salah is bad for Liverpool. Likewise few were calling selling Mane as some genius move because he was 29 or 30. It's madness.

kouroux

Exactly, football is dominated by 33 and 34 year old Lewa and Benzema, somehow few think retaining Salah is bad for Liverpool. Likewise few were calling selling Mane as some genius move because he was 29 or 30. It's madness.
It's about wishful thinking tbh, more than anything else

ElBarto

Great deal for news, they tied up one of the best players in the world for few more years.

Btw did Liverpool journalists report how he took paycut to sign new contract?

Anyways it's funny how the contract is reported.

No one cares about "excess of", they will stick to 350K. Amazing how different journalists report wages for different clubs.
good spot, I'd say he's on 400+

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Statistically, it was the 2nd best season in his career.
Fair enough - I based this more on a feeling of how they performed post Afcon. In any case, not central to my point, which is the same point many are making here, they have completely abandoned their wage structure and it can quite easily have non-beneficial long-term consequences. I was quite in awe of how they managed to retain these players on such low wages, like when Shaw wasn't even performing and they had Robertson on what was then thought to be below 100K while Shaw was on 150K.

Great player, and in the short term, obviously great news for Liverpool fans.
In the long term, with how this will affect their wage structure, we’ll have to wait and see, but surely VVD’s agent is already on the blower to the top brass.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Worth saying that most of the core players have very recently had their contracts renewed long term - VVD signed a five year contract on good money before he'd even returned from his ACL injury, and Alisson also signed for six years just last summer - so this issue of others looking for parity is a bit overblown.

IrishRedDevil

Worth saying that most of the core players have very recently had their contracts renewed long term - VVD signed a five year contract on good money before he'd even returned from his ACL injury, and Alisson also signed for six years just last summer - so this issue of others looking for parity is a bit overblown.
Or… VVD might do a Mane and ask to leave if you don’t pay up and match Salah.

GoldanoGraham

Don’t think the issue is about him deserving the pay rise as he has performed excellently over the last few years although dropped off a lot post Xmas - it’s more the ramifications on the whole Liverpool wage structure that this will have.

They have managed to pay unbelievably low wages for a while now but I can guarantee that this will now change when it comes to player renewal negotiations. After all, think this was the reason Mane decided to leave.

On another note, I don’t think Salah will be able to perform to the same level again without Mane. Just my opinion but I think he will become even greedier next season with frustration.

As for us giving out undeserving high wages - I totally agree - it’s the result of Woodwards frivolous negotiations and we now have the issue of average players that are unshiftable because of high wages.

Conor

I get what you're saying, but signing a new contract means very little these days in terms of salary demands, as players get bumps mid contract all the time.

Yeah that’s not how you breed club loyalty by saying “ha, too late, you’ve already signed”.
Which is the point. Especially when VVD is clearly your most important player

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Don’t think the issue is about him deserving the pay rise as he has performed excellently over the last few years although dropped off a lot post Xmas - it’s more the ramifications on the whole Liverpool wage structure that this will have.

They have managed to pay unbelievably low wages for a while now but I can guarantee that this will now change when it comes to player renewal negotiations. After all, think this was the reason Mane decided to leave.

On another note, I don’t think Salah will be able to perform to the same level again without Mane. Just my opinion but I think he will become even greedier next season with frustration.

As for us giving out undeserving high wages - I totally agree - it’s the result of Woodwards frivolous negotiations and we now have the issue of average players that are unshiftable because of high wages.
Liverpool, Bayern, United and Chelsea all pay roughly the same amount on salaries. Real, Barca and the oil clubs pay a bit more, Juve a bit less. The narrative, that Liverpool paid particularly low wages in the past is false. Extending the contract of one's best player for 3 years, when he is 30, is obviously a good thing and their wage structure will continue to be roughly in line with the previously mentioned clubs. Its ridiculous to spin this into something negative. Salah is one of the best players in the world. He and his salary is not going to be a problem for Liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
In terms of his own high standards. Would you say this season was better for him than the seasons before?
Yes. He was basically the best player in the world for the first half of the season.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Being a late bloomer, VVD would be foolish to leave a competitive side like Liverpool for a few extra bobs. If 5 years ago you told him that he would star in 3 UCL final and win 1 whil earning measly 200kpw, he would sign the contract through the paper. Just ask his compatriot, Wijnaldum. He has a wise head in between his shoulders

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes. He was basically the best player in the world for the first half of the season.
Congratulations. Joking aside, already backtracked. Not central to the discussion anyway, which is more about overall structure and planning.

kouroux

The higher salaries given to Liverpool players was bound to happen, it's how a team keeps some its best players. Teams evolve, some leave and some stay.
I don't see what would make Salah perform suddenldy bad without Mane as we have seen him range from truly world class to average regardless to what Mane was doing on the pitch for years. If it comes to thatw the answer could be anything tbh. Not just Mane leaving
This is

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good deal for Liverpool and puts the ridiculous amounts we pay to some of our players into perspective given what he produces. Surprised he didn't wait for a free transfer.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Good deal for Liverpool and puts the ridiculous amounts we pay to some of our players into perspective given what he produces. Surprised he didn't wait for a free transfer.
Pretty weird way to take another shit on United. Liverpool are paying him an absolute fortune