Mo Salah

James Peril

Another good thing about Salah is that he limits Mane a lot. One could argue their combination is lethal, but Mane has not been the same this year. 5-6 goals in the league? Coutinho is sorely missed and I have no idea how they will replace him in this market.

Dante

Average bang
If Real Madrid come in with a really big bid, Liverpool could buy the whole Southampton squad.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
I'd agree I think it was Verts who managed thisna few times, just backed off until he was running out of room, then tackle.
Worked really well, except for when he scored against you twice and dribbled through your whole defence.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Mane has settled down into being a good player. Similar to what he was at Southampton. Probably better than that, but you get the point. Nothing like he was last season. Not even talking strictly about the stats, but how he galvanised the whole team. There's been a big drop off.

Sala probably has been the player of the season, no doubt about that, but i just can't see him replicating this for 2/3 seasons. Just think he'll settle down next season or something, that's the point i was basically making.

Football fans, and we all do it really, like to get a little hyperbolic in these situations. Which is understandable especially when you're a fan of the particular club that the player is playing for.
Same has been said for Kane, de bruyne, Mahrez, Son, Eriksen. It is always like "unless he can do this over certain amount of years otherwise I am not convinced."

But one good game for a young player from their own club, then there is a superstar in the making.

Ireland

Can't see anyone buy him in summer he must worth 140 million plus Liverpool fan here don't think owners sell other top players he be at Liverpool couple more years

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Can't see anyone buy him in summer he must worth 140 million plus Liverpool fan here don't think owners sell other top players he be at Liverpool couple more years
I don't think the transfer market is sustainable with the going rate right now. We will see more and more player run down the contract, or renew only with a reasonable release clause. Players will take note with Mahrez's situation in Leicester.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's been the Prem player of the season imo

But comparisons to Messi are far off even on just form. Messi's been by far the best player in the world this season.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
He dribbled through once, his first one we gifted him. Tell u what, actually watch the game. Il respect u much more.
Just pointing out that you can't claim to have nullified him if he scored against you twice. And I was there.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Just pointing out that you can't claim to have nullified him if he scored against you twice. And I was there.
I didn't say we did, I watched live, he's having a hell of a season. Hit first goal was a gift from us, his second was world class, what's wrong with that? We closed him at least twice.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
Another good thing about Salah is that he limits Mane a lot. One could argue their combination is lethal, but Mane has not been the same this year. 5-6 goals in the league? Coutinho is sorely missed and I have no idea how they will replace him in this market.
I’m sure we’ll find some scrub and turn him into the next Iniesta. No biggie. :boring:

meamth

Messi Salah.

It pains me to say this too, he is rightfully the heir to Messi's style. So close in comparison minus the genius passing.

We got Messe Lingard but we all know that's just pure muppetery.

Messi Salah.

It pains me to say this too, he is rightfully the heir to Messi's style. So close in comparison minus the genius passing.

We got Messe Lingard but we all know that's just pure muppetery.
Salah has had an unreal season but ffs when I read stuff like this I don't know what to think. Yes, the only difference between Messi, probably the greatest player in the history of the sport and Salah is passing. I really rate Salah but feckin hell

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I don't think anyone anticipated what a great season he would have.

His second goal against Spurs was technically sublime.

meamth

Salah has had an unreal season but ffs when I read stuff like this I don't know what to think. Yes, the only difference between Messi, probably the greatest player in the history of the sport and Salah is passing. I really rate Salah but feckin hell
I didn't say he is the same level at all, but he has the same playstyle. Name me one player that twist and turn like Messi other than Salah.

Yes, Messi is the greatest footballer of all time not because of his dribbling, but his football intelligence. Salah is no way up to that level, but he is the closest thing to Messi in terms of playstyle.

But don't get confused, he is miles off from that level.

Borat Sagdiyev

He’s been the best player in the PL this year, noticeably above what I’d deem the next tier of KDB/Kane. Absolute dream signing for Pool.

I didn't say he is the same level at all, but he has the same playstyle. Name me one player that twist and turn like Messi other than Salah.

Yes, Messi is the greatest footballer of all time not because of his dribbling, but his football intelligence. Salah is no way up to that level, but he is the closest thing to Messi in terms of playstyle.

Ah alright then I misunderstood

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Robben, Hazard, Neymar.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If he was right footed he wouldn't be compared to Messi because when you really watch it their style are a lot different than just dribbling inside and cutting. In terms of passing and dribbling there is huge gulf between the 2. Salah gives you the impression of a similar style in some sequences yes but so do many players like @roonster09 mentioned.
I don't see orchestrating things from midfield when need nor do I some ridiculous passing between the lines or from one side of the pitch to the other.
The whole thing screams "lazy comparison" to me, even in terms of style.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If he was right footed he wouldn't be compared to Messi because when you really watch it their style are a lot different than just dribbling inside and cutting. In terms of passing and dribbling there is huge gulf between the 2. Salah gives you the impression of a similar style in some sequences yes but so do many players like @roonster09 mentioned.
I don't see orchestrating things from midfield when need nor do I some ridiculous passing between the lines or from one side of the pitch to the other.
The whole thing screams "lazy comparison" to me, even in terms of style.
Their dribbling style is also not same. I remember watching him play for Roma, he was kick and run player and it worked for him as his pace and acceleration was just insane.

I was surprised by his composure for 2nd goal against Spurs, didn't think he had it in him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Their dribbling style is also not same. I remember watching him play for Roma, he was kick and run player and it worked for him as his pace and acceleration was just insane.

I was surprised by his composure for 2nd goal against Spurs, didn't think he had it in him.
They're close to nothing indeed. For the Spurs goal I can praise the finish which was really good but Vertonghen prior to that.. Honestly that was dumb defending more than amazing dribbling.

meamth

How is this not similar to Messi? Low center of gravity, beat players with clever dribbling instead of pure explosive pace and exquisite turning.

Hazard, Robben, Neymar has different style.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
A lazy narrative peddled by commentators.

He has had a great season no doubt, but a few good months and goals from Salah does not make a Messi. Let's give it a few seasons before actually judging Salah worthy of being a great player in his own right, than these lazy and rediculous comparisons.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't see it. Yes, he has a low centre of gravity but that is where it starts and ends.

He reminds me more of a shortarsed Henry really. But Henry was more silky and less tenacious.

Robertd0803

Wish Madrid would get their act together and buy him in the summer. He is far too good for Liverpool so the sooner he goes the better.

Trizy

Every time you think he'll slow down in the scoring he just keeps adding more. Funnily enough I don't think he's over all play is good at all, he's very wasteful, looks average and can go missing yet he still scores 1-2 in his bad games. He's ruthless in front of goal.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Every time you think he'll slow down in the scoring he just keeps adding more. Funnily enough I don't think he's over all play is good at all, he's very wasteful, looks average and can go missing yet he still scores 1-2 in his bad games. He's ruthless in front of goal.
Get out of here with your sensible analysis!

ZAGREB RED

If he stays at Liverpool it will be interesting to see if he can replicate this season's form and goalscoring or if he will suffer from "second season syndrome". The transfer fee Liverpool paid for him looks like an absolute bargain at the moment, to say the least.

Trizy

Get out of here with your sensible analysis!
:lol: yeah I guess scoring doesn't mean youd a bad game but you get what I'm trying to say about his overall play.

The angry redcafe stat army will be out for blood :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

No he's not, he's not even close! Salah's playing style is closer to Bale's than Messi's. FFS. You want a PL player with a similar playing style as Messi? That'd be Alexis Sanchez. Or Hazard.

Rossa

So I guess I am the only one who thought that goal was down to a great deal of luck, bouncing off the shins of defenders, and Verthongen for once looking completely lost, and then finally poor goalkeeping? I thought no goalies used that technique anymore from that angle; if that had been DDG or Neuer in goal, I can almost guarantee that they would have saved it. The angle is difficult, and to to place it in the far corner is almost impossible, but that seems to be what Lloris is thinking. DDG would have kept his stance and made himself big, which would have made that shot impossible, and an attempt to put it in the far corner would have been saved with his feet.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Funny thing is every Roma fan reading this -especially the last sentence- are jumping into the Tevere right now :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Last few games, yes. Up until then, his overall game was getting better with every game though. His game with his back to goal is very very good.

He still has that suarezque knack for making a donkey of a touch and then look silky as feck the moment after. Sometimes in the same move because he is so fast he's often first to his own heavy touches.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
So I guess I am the only one who thought that goal was down to a great deal of luck, bouncing off the shins of defenders, and Verthongen for once looking completely lost, and then finally poor goalkeeping? I thought no goalies used that technique anymore from that angle; if that had been DDG or Neuer in goal, I can almost guarantee that they would have saved it. The angle is difficult, and to to place it in the far corner is almost impossible, but that seems to be what Lloris is thinking. DDG would have kept his stance and made himself big, which would have made that shot impossible, and an attempt to put it in the far corner would have been saved with his feet.
I agree somewhat. Great goal indeed and Salah did incredibly well to get to the point where he was in front of Lloris. But quite why Lloris decided that it was a good idea to dive out of Salah’s way and leave a tidy little space for Salah to dink it over him, I’ll never know. A top keeper makes himself big and therefore makes Salah’s chance of scoring more difficult. Lloris on the other hand made it easier.
Still, I’m not complaining as our keepers have been making it easier for strikers for several seasons now so a bit of karma was long overdue!!

Rossa

I agree somewhat. Great goal indeed and Salah did incredibly well to get to the point where he was in front of Lloris. But quite why Lloris decided that it was a good idea to dive out of Salah’s way and leave a tidy little space for Salah to dink it over him, I’ll never know. A top keeper makes himself big and therefore makes Salah’s chance of scoring more difficult. Lloris on the other hand made it easier.
Still, I’m not complaining as our keepers have been making it easier for strikers for several seasons now so a bit of karma was long overdue!!
Nice!:D Unfortunately, too true for your part.

I mean, as you said, it was great play by Salah, and he is a fantastic player, but some going on as if that was the goal of the month is a little overboard, imo. Lloris should have done better. Salah is annoyingly good, no matter how you look at it, unfortunately.

KYcinco

Great season,very good player,his dribbling style at times does remind me of Messi, short and quick touches on the ball, also the way he opens up his body,very similar indeed.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

They're nothing alike.