Mo Salah

choccy77

I would love the club to make an effort to bring Salah to the club if he is in fact available this summer or next. He is a proven scorer and has the winning mentality.
Hasn't he lost a lot of finals recently and not scored in any?

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’d agree with him to be honest. You think of mid 90’s United and you think Cantona. You think of this era of Liverpool and you think of Klopp or Van Dijk.
Look I'm no fan of Salah but to say he isn't a Liverpool legend is idiotic. And arguing about who the "iconic" players are doesn't really change that, although I think many fans outside of our own don't think of Cantona the same way we do (he's many people's favorite United player ever around here).

phelans shorts

Look I'm no fan of Salah but to say he isn't a Liverpool legend is idiotic. And arguing about who the "iconic" players are doesn't really change that, although I think many fans outside of our own don't think of Cantona the same way we do (he's many people's favorite United player ever around here).
He’s definitely a Liverpool legend, I don’t think anyone has argued that he isn’t that.

DiMaria

How can their top scorer virtually every year since he joined, and golden boot winner on 3 out of the last 5 years, not be iconic?? The man has virtually won everything with/for them and they worship him over there. We just don’t see it as we aren’t pool fans. He would never come to us unless his final year there is a disaster or something crazy happens. We need to think of more realistic options.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’d agree with him to be honest. You think of mid 90’s United and you think Cantona. You think of this era of Liverpool and you think of Klopp or Van Dijk.
Crazy talk. He’s undoubtably a Liverpool icon and legend and he’ll be the same for the Premier League too. He’s been one of the best players for the last 5 years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pretty sure more would think Salah. But who gives a shitty - one league title PL newbies that they are :D

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Interestingly Mido has just come out with his list of the top 5 African players of all time. Salah's not on it.
Who's mido?
Weah,eto'o,drogba, toure and maybe mane have a case to be rated higher but can't think of anyone else to be honest.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What do you think of Bowen? Maybe stylistically the most similar to Salah, could see him doing really well in your side.
I wasn't sold initially but having watched more games he has 'it'. That innate ability to control the ball, pass (or fake a pass) at just the right second and obviously score. Slight concern on lack of young Mane/Salah type pace but as we're finding out pace is mostly meaningless unless the other team comes out. He's not slow anyway.

All of the analysis is meaningless as we are not City and cannot buy at his price range (English tax). We won't get Coutinho money for Mane/Salah.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Arguably the biggest Egyptian player to play in the Premier League before Salah

This guy (sorry if this doesn't embed, may have forgotten how to do it) : https://images.app.goo.gl/L2MtCt2QSiMhwfnk9
Thanks mate, I remember him now though I never watched out for him specifically.

There is a post in the ask mods thread explaining how to do it, it's recent as well so you could use that if you want to refresh your memory.

marktan

I'm starting to think we would be better off by selling both him and Mane and replace them with two forwards from '96-'00. Prepare for the future and add young talent. A new deal for Salah might be worth it for next season or the season after, but I doubt he'd be worth a 4-year deal for the full duration of said deal.

Odds are stacked against everyone to win the PL next season against City with Haaland (and maybe others) added to their team. Why not prepare the squad for a few years in advance and hope that KDB is too old / Guardialo has finally fecked off by then.
It's a good idea but very risky, as you've seen with Jota and Diaz the calibre of £35-40m players are not the same as when you bought Mane and Salah for that price. I think if you get rid of both then you really need your wide forward signing to be a big hit, otherwise you'll struggle. The safer bet is to keep one around for 2-3 seasons.

Personally I would've kept Mane instead of Salah, but a £30m return on Mane isn't so bad. But I do think your low net spend and unwillingness to spend high on wages is going to see your team decline significantly - you don't have a player like Coutinho that you could sell for big money currently to fund transfers. As such the £40m wide forwards you'll likely be looking to sign will be good but probably not great the way Mane and Salah are. Ousmane Dembele for example I think would be a great player for you but Liverpool wouldn't pay the wages he would want.

City.. already signed two forwards and according to their chairman are looking for to sign a few more.. eventually something will have to change because endlessly being able to buy players for a huge squad will guarantee you league titles most seasons.

Conor

Absolutely. These players are difficult to guess at and then to see them deliver consistently. That's why you instead look for players that will fit in a system and the whole team will then score the required goals in a season. City being the prime example, they have won the last 5 (?) PL's without a golden boot winner.

It's all about the right player for the system. Not the player that will save the whole team.
City get a lot more goals from midfielders than Liverpool do though, you kind of need someone to be scoring 30 a season, or else sign some goalscoring midfielders.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You don’t just drop off at 30 but the age curve is steeper in the PL than other leagues and it’s steepest for forwards.

You can count the number of truly elite seasons by a PL forward aged 31+ since 2000 on a single hand with a couple fingers left over.

You never know but a reasonable baseline case is that Salah has one more very good season in the tank then a couple so-so seasons then it’s time for MLS.
This sort of stuff is with all due respect total nonsense.
It depends entirely on the individual player.

An Andy Carroll dropped off a cliff by about 25, whereas Ronaldo is still putting 18 league goals in at 37. There's many levels between those 2 I'll grant you :lol:

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool should sell Thiago, Mane, Firminho, Salah and their high-wage backups to fund the next generation of players. Klopp is there till 2026 so 4 years is plenty of time to win a couple of major trophies.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I read that Mane is only on £100k a week? Crazy to think they've managed to keep him motivated on that wage for 4 years whilst Milner is on £140k a week - I don't blame him for pushing for a move.

choccy77

Liverpool Legend?

They are in essence a very expensive cup team.

Cantona was the catalyst that enabled United to Win the league and 2 Doubles and it was only the 3 foreigner rule that stopped us doing more in Europe.

Liverpool would have won their penalties without Salah.

manc exile

Supports
City
Crazy talk. He’s undoubtably a Liverpool icon and legend and he’ll be the same for the Premier League too. He’s been one of the best players for the last 5 years.

yes but in an overhyped underperforming team.
4 major trophies in klopps 7 seasons in charge

KetilOwren88

Who's mido?
Weah,eto'o,drogba, toure and maybe mane have a case to be rated higher but can't think of anyone else to be honest.
Essien, Mahrez, Abedi Pele. You also have Onana, Okocha, Adebayor, Koulibaly, West, Obafemi Martins and John Obi Mikel to name a few, but that’s a level below. Kanu was a good striker. And of course the great Manucho and Djemba-Djemba

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Essien, Mahrez, Abedi Pele. You also have Onana, Okocha, Adebayor, Koulibaly, West, Obafemi Martins and John Obi Mikel to name a few, but that’s a level below. Kanu was a good striker. And of course the great Manucho and Djemba-Djemba
Oh yeah, essien is a good shout, I don't know why always thought he's French.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yaya Toure.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I read that Mane is only on £100k a week? Crazy to think they've managed to keep him motivated on that wage for 4 years whilst Milner is on £140k a week - I don't blame him for pushing for a move.
Yep, it's hard to believe someone could be motivated to play an enjoyable game, being paid a mere 100k a week!

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Yep, it's hard to believe someone could be motivated to play an enjoyable game, being paid a mere 100k a week!
You know exactly what I mean - though having to say £100k is little money for a footballer is sickening. But when one of the best players I'm the league earns the same as Jesse Lingard and less than James Milner, there's something wrong.

erikcred

Liverpool Legend?

They are in essence a very expensive cup team.

Cantona was the catalyst that enabled United to Win the league and 2 Doubles and it was only the 3 foreigner rule that stopped us doing more in Europe.

Liverpool would have won their penalties without Salah.
Well, we used to be an expensive cup team in the 80's. Doesn't mean we don't have legends who played in those teams.

We all hate that Salah plays for them, but don't talk rubbish!

KetilOwren88

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...dric-brutal-message-Mo-Salah-Champions-League

This has been reported in several newspapers included the Liverpool Echo. Luka Modric always striked me as a humble guy, but that’s some real savage shithousery against Salah there I guess that’s why you should never speak before a final like Salah did as the only thing he achieved was to make himself an offer for banter and giving the Real Madrid players even more motivation.

ariveded

Interesting next season for Salah. He has extraordinary peak, but is it sustainable in his 6th season? I feel the signs are already there, he is a good player, but may not be that effective.

In such situation, his contract demands are unjust, and LFC should not pay big big wages to a player whose peak is clearly not in future.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I find it weird how he's not even denying the contract dispute is about money. Agent has even said they are willing to accept a shorter deal, just pay him what he thinks he's worth.
Think he's off on a free next year.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Signs new 5 year 3 year deal.

Last edited: