Mokgadi Caster Semenya | IAAF to tell court she should be classified as biologically male

Ish

Lights on for Luke
"We both know how each other feel."

Can just imagine them being all horrible behind the scenes. I don't like the use of this word, but it just seems so bitxhy.
Aye, very sore losery. (if tat's even a word :lol:)

You can understand their frustration/anger, but to take it out on Semenya, and so publically as well. Shit attitude. Thanks for the gold Caster!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Wow, that's a lot higher than I thought. The time in the 800m was nowhere near the world record though, so not as if they are super-women. Agree it's fantastically complex though and no easy answers.
Not superwomen, but that was the third fastest time this century and most of the top times are pre-1990. At one stage they were using chromosome testing which ruled out even more athletes than the testosterone test.

There's an interesting article on how testing has evolved
https://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorayshi/sex-testing-olympians?utm_term=.bqzPkj1Dy7#.xsL4qGwg5E

Scrumpet

There are no words
Wow, that's a lot higher than I thought. The time in the 800m was nowhere near the world record though, so not as if they are super-women. Agree it's fantastically complex though and no easy answers.
Bear in mind that this is the world record holder

FromTheBench

There is indian athelete called dutee chand with the exact same condition who fought the case at Cas and got clearance as well.

And she does not even come close to qualifying to the finals in her event yet so it's not a cliching advantage.

Unless it transcends medical definition of a woman into manhood, i dont see hows it different to say Usain bolt having longer legs or some others having great metabolism or natural fat being less.

Dan

That is because she is running within herself, she can probably break that WR if she wants.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
There is indian athelete called dutee chand with the exact same condition who fought the case at Cas and got clearance as well.

And she does not even come close to qualifying to the finals in her event yet so it's not a cliching advantage.

Unless it transcends medical definition of a woman into manhood, i dont see hows it different to say Usain bolt having longer legs or some others having great metabolism or natural fat being less.
What's the medical definition of a woman?

At one stage we defined it in terms of external genitalia. Then we had technology to look inside the body as well. Then we could look at the chromosomes. Then we looked at specific chemicals in the blood.

There isn't a straightforward line, and that line is normally only of significance to the individual and her personal/medical life. It's sport that has to try and invent a line, and basically that line is supposed to protect female competition.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not superwomen, but that was the third fastest time this century and most of the top times are pre-1990. At one stage they were using chromosome testing which ruled out even more athletes than the testosterone test.

There's an interesting article on how testing has evolved
https://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorayshi/sex-testing-olympians?utm_term=.bqzPkj1Dy7#.xsL4qGwg5E
Ah fair enough. It's hard to imagine sex testing moving beyond mere genitalia, but guess that's the world we live in.
Didn't realise it was that fast tbh. Surely three in the final was a statistical anomaly though?

Andrew~

It's very difficult. I keep thinking of Serena Williams who has an equally-muscled physique, which shows that women can achieve that sort of body (presumably by hard gym work). However, she must have normal testosterone levels.
I see what you're saying, but with Serena, it's highly unlikely she has the same level of testerone hormones as Caster - who is essentially half a man.

It's a shame really because all she wants is to race - but I don't think she should have bee out there.

Bebe

Latest development:

I think conflating transgender issues in sport with her is ill advised.

We often refer to great athletes as "physical freaks" (LeBron, for example). I disagree with the IAAF's argument there.

Revan

Assumptionman
If she is biologically female, it is absurd to ban her or to make her take testosterone blockers. If she is biologically male (which doesn't seem the case), then she just shouldn't be allowed to compete in female competitions.

No idea why a relatively straightforward issue has become so complicated cause of political correctness, and no idea why a female needs to be put in the same bracket as biologically male athletes who compete in female competitions.

buchansleftleg

I have a lot of sympathy for her. She has always identified as female and now everyone gets to hear very personal information about her.
Yes and the issues around self identification are very complex. Also people who are Inter-sex are often very angry about being used by elements of the trans activists to justify some ludicrously unsafe and unfair practices

freeurmind

weak willed
Absolute disgrace of a decision. The IAAF, Sebastien Coe and their supporters have no problem allowing people who've previously taken PEDs to compete after bans even htough we know the effects of those drugs linger long after they're taken but have decided to force Castor to take these drugs which have pretty serious side effects in order to compete. Caster's crime is winning. And she is NOT transbefore anyone starts, take that discussion somewhere else.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
She came in our pub once.
She walked over and dropped one in my beer glass.
I said "Hey, you fart in my Whitbread?"
She said, "No, I'm Caster Semenya."
This is the most confusing post I've ever seen on the caf. Is it a shite joke I'm not getting? Is it a genuine anecdote about an athlete's flatulence? Is it code for something mystical?

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
This is the most confusing post I've ever seen on the caf. Is it a shite joke I'm not getting? Is it a genuine anecdote about an athlete's flatulence? Is it code for something mystical?
It's a very old joke about Fatima Whitbread (Fart in my whitbread). I was hoping some would remember it.

It’s a terrible terrible joke about her looking like Fatima Whitbread. Possibly the shittest joke I’ve ever read.

RedTiger

Half mast
Absolute disgrace of a decision. The IAAF, Sebastien Coe and their supporters have no problem allowing people who've previously taken PEDs to compete after bans even htough we know the effects of those drugs linger long after they're taken but have decided to force Castor to take these drugs which have pretty serious side effects in order to compete. Caster's crime is winning. And she is NOT transbefore anyone starts, take that discussion somewhere else.
100% agree. It was a disgraceful judgement, the fact they want her to take testosterone blockers just so her natural ability is hindered is mad.

Skills

Snitch
Seems quite ridiculous. Would a male athlete who naturally produced an abnormally high level of testosterone be made to take blockers?

paulscholes18

It’s a joke about fatima whitbread she used to throw the javelin in the olympics, she was built like a shit brick house.

I feel sorry for Caster born a woman should be able to run as one without having to take medication

MadMike

If she is biologically female, it is absurd to ban her or to make her take testosterone blockers. If she is biologically male (which doesn't seem the case), then she just shouldn't be allowed to compete in female competitions.

No idea why a relatively straightforward issue has become so complicated cause of political correctness, and no idea why a female needs to be put in the same bracket as biologically male athletes who compete in female competitions.
I thought she had internal testes which a normal case of "biological female" would not. That she's in fact intersex. Thus she has much higher testosterone production then a "normal" female.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and going off of outdated info.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
She's not trans but you can bet your arse this decision was influence by the ongoing saga of finding a way to let trans women compete against cis women athletes. Dogmatic insistence on a cap on allowable testosterone levels for all female athletes could only have happened with that in mind.

Sweet Square

She's not trans but you can bet your arse this decision was influence by the ongoing saga of finding a way to let trans women compete against cis women athletes. Dogmatic insistence on a cap on allowable testosterone levels for all female athletes could only have happened with that in mind.
Evidence ?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On the face of it that certainly seems like a batshit crazy decision.

mu4c_20le

I feel for her because she was born with her body and hasn't done anything wrong. But in the interest of fairness I think it has to be done.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's absolute madness.

Although testosterone is considered a male sex hormone, women produce small amounts of testosterone in their ovaries and adrenal glands. Together with the female sex hormone estrogen,testosterone plays a role in the growth and maintenance of female reproductive tissue and bone mass.

So they're banning a female from competing because her ovaries, an exclusively female organ, are producing too much of a hormone. Every female athlete in any sport that has a distinct advantage from physical strength can thank their testosterone levels. Who the feck are the IAAF to think they can decide a "female" level of testosterone?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's absolute madness.

So they're banning a female from competing because her ovaries, an exclusively female organ, are producing too much of a hormone. Every female athlete in any sport that has a distinct advantage from physical strength can thank their testosterone levels. Who the feck are the IAAF to think they can decide a "female" level of testosterone?
It's not her ovaries, it's her testes, (which are about as far from an exclusively female organs as you can get) that are the issue.

It's not fair on her, none of this is but this is not just a case of a woman with high levels of test.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's absolute madness.

When competing as a “female” is essentially a matter of personal choice (i.e. trans athletes) they can’t really ignore the performance enhancing effect of high testosterone levels, can they?