Mourinho on Martial after today's game

liamp

Maybe I need to listen to it again, but when I heard it in real time I really felt it was more of a dig at Sanchez. He confessed that he'd preserved with him through poor form, and couldn't do it any longer. He talked about the offside and the deflection... did I miss something where he said "this is all Martial's fault"?
I like how we're at a point where we're trying to determine exactly which player our manager is slating immediately after a match.

cyberman

Its not about Martial's performances.

This is the same Mourinho who this very week has had a go at Pogba for making similar kind of comments(i.e ones that should be kept indoors) and said he wasn't bigger than the club.

The blatant hypocrisy is just too much too stomach.
What did Jose say? Are there quotes missing from here?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree that it’s typical mourinho but I don’t get carried away with reading into it. He’s done it when he’s massively successful too.

I find fans reactions that are so strongly anti mourinho in any case like this ignore just how bad the performance being offered by multi millionaires on our team is. I would call it disgraceful
It would be absolutely disgraceful from the players if it happened overnight. But this has been a slow degradation over the last two years, and it's gone through stages where it's looked like our players certainly cared but simply didn't know how to perform (or were being set up in ways that wouldn't allow them to perform), and is now at a stage where it feels like the manager either has no idea at all and is simply throwing shit at the wall and hoping some of it sticks or is deliberately sabotaging the team to try to make a point. With all that going on players will obviously end up confused, frustrated and with no morale at all, which is always going to result in players performing like they have been.

I have held on hope for Jose for longer than most, but the last week or two has shown that it's got to end.

Kapardin

He says things like this and expects the players to do their best for him each week.

As they say, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

jungledrums

Maybe I need to listen to it again, but when I heard it in real time I really felt it was more of a dig at Sanchez. He confessed that he'd preserved with him through poor form, and couldn't do it any longer. He talked about the offside and the deflection... did I miss something where he said "this is all Martial's fault"?
No. There definitely aren’t any explicit digs in there. It’s still a bit strange though.

Spoony

The People's President

This is the same Mourinho who this very week has had a go at Pogba for making similar kind of comments(i.e ones that should be kept indoors) and said he wasn't bigger than the club.

I wouldn't keep Mourinho either. The squad needs gutting.

T_Model101

The funeral atmosphere of it is the worst part, seems a broken man and it's difficult, if not impossible to come back from that

ErranMorad

Do the media influence his decisions?
I am convinced that Jose is done here, but the overall comment wasn't bad on viewing. He admitted that Sanchez wasn't working out so he had to try Martial. However, he started with "Look, for how many months people asking for Martial, Martial, Martial. How many months saying Alexis isn’t playing well enough..", which gives people the excuse to focus on only those two sentences. That was unnecessary; especially in this day and age where things are picked selectively to outrage.

RE1999

TBF Martial wasn't exactly great today...or against Derby. Hardly top quality opposition. Maybe he isn't as good as we like to think he is? He's got potential but he keeps getting chances and keeps doing nothing with them!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I wouldn't keep Mourinho either. The squad needs gutting.
I think we do have to get rid of some players. But we should learn a lesson from Chelsea and Madrid and not be too hasty to get rid of players that he hasn't gotten on well with.

I remember Matic struggling at Chelsea under Mourinho. So much so that he once brought him on as a sub, then substituted him in the same game. He seems to have the ability to get the worst out of players sometimes. Even some of his own signings.

cyberman

First post.

Watch the full interview to get the full context of it. I did.
He's answering why Sanchez didn't start though? He's always answered these question like this, it was his favourite quote during the Rashford v Martial debate.
Maybe people are being hyper sensitive but Martials performances deserve a lot more public outcry than what they've had.
If Zidane benched Bale then its goodbye to Anthony in the summer.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lads Martial was abolsutely diabolical. Arguably a zero out of ten performance and this was before the game got away from us. Yes mourinho is letting his ego try prove people that they aren’t always right but our players have been withiut responsibility for 5 years. If martial played like that in Madrid or Milan he wouldn’t be safe leaving the stadium
He wasn't diabolical. Remember that one move where he took three players out in the second half? If his cross resulted in a goal you wouldn't be here posting this. His overall performance wasn't great but he still did more than Sanchez has managed all season

K2K

TBF Martial wasn't exactly great today...or against Derby. Hardly top quality opposition. Maybe he isn't as good as we like to think he is? He's got potential but he keeps getting chances and keeps doing nothing with them!
Its not about his pefromance.

Its the fact that Jose cried foul when Pogba went rogue and made those comments, and does something similar the following week. Somethings a manager just shouldnt be saying in public.

Green_Red

Today felt like one of those away days under Moyes and LvG when the collective supporters realised its time for the manager to go.

3 DMs playing today... 3! What the absolute feck is that shite!

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London

This. It's quite infuriating.

In what world he thinks he can do this to players week in, week out, and expect them to perform for him its just mental :houllier:

haram

What's wrong with this if he was asked why Sanchez was dropped? He didn't criticise Martial.

Andersons Dietician

Reminder to myself, never click on the show ignored post part. People seriously saying Martial was a zero out of 10. Absolute joke. If a goal was coming it looked most likely it would be created by him. Having to drop to DM was never going to help. Some posters honestly.

K2K

He's answering why Sanchez didn't start though? He's always answered these question like this, it was his favourite quote during the Rashford v Martial debate.
Maybe people are being hyper sensitive but Martials performances deserve a lot more public outcry than what they've had.
If Zidane benched Bale then its goodbye to Anthony in the summer.
Again, it isnt about Martial.

But he could easily have been diplomatic about this and didnt have to bring Martial at all in his answer.

I would defend Mourinho if he didnt have a history of throwing players he didnt like under the bus. During one of his rows with Iker, he once claimed that Antonio Adan was a better player (google him). Its just pettiness with him. immature pettiness.

Hughie77

It's a fecking mess, poor comments from a manager who really has lost the respect he used to have, he's playing for the sack Jose is . Pay him off before we can't get top 4 or even 10 ..

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So Martial has been awarded this Mou's whipping boy of the game

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No need to listen again.

Sanchez and Lingard not in the squad is enough to send a message they have not been playing well. There is absolutely no need to mention names. Just say the most obvious. Simply say that I pick the teams according to the opposition or I'm utilising the squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nobody ever plays well. I'm going to try not to judge individual performances so much these days because Mourinho is that big of an issue where nobody is performing at all.

liamp

No need to listen again.

Sanchez and Lingard not in the squad is enough to send a message they have not been playing well. There is absolutely no need to mention names. Just say the most obvious. Simply say that I pick the teams according to the opposition or I'm utilising the squad.
TBH I think they're just being saved for Tuesday.

Nico87

This is an example of why it's unfair to vcondem a player like Pogba for giving his opinion to the press, if the manger constantly uses you as a human shield, you're likely to want to defend yourself. Does he not think sending such a defence set up also renders Martial toothless through no fault of his own ( Martial was deserving of criticism earlier in the season but this is entirely on Jose). It's like an army general sending his troops out with top of the range Guns but no ammunition, and then complains that the troops demanded better equipment and he provided it.

Reactions: Sultan

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
or maybe he's being mismanaged. After all Sanchez, Pogba and Rashford have all regressed under Mou.

IrishGlen

The reporter on BT asked him did he not have enough choices up front to change the game considering those he left out. The reporter was obviously getting at Lingard and Sanchez. Jose brought up this whole Martial v Sánchez point and it’s an either / or choice.

I take it as a dig at Martial and he has done the whole “you’re wrong, I’m right” point against the fans. It’s not the first time, didn’t he say something very similar after the defeat to Brighton last May regarding Martial / Rashford & Lukaku?

Reactions: Sultan

Sb_16

@2:52

I: In hindsight, did you feel you lacked options in attack?
J: For months, people have been asking for Martial. They say Sanchez has been poor. I tried to agree with them today and try with Martial instead of Sanchez.

He completely left out Sanchez. Martial performed better than Sanchez has this season in a totally different team tactics. So was it a dig on Martial? We'll know against Valencia.

He's a cunning one. The statement looks innocent. Considering his history, I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

mancan92

Lads Martial was abolsutely diabolical. Arguably a zero out of ten performance and this was before the game got away from us. Yes mourinho is letting his ego try prove people that they aren’t always right but our players have been withiut responsibility for 5 years. If martial played like that in Madrid or Milan he wouldn’t be safe leaving the stadium
Haha did you even see the tactics and formations deployed? Martial,lukaku and pogba literally had no options at any point. They had to just get the ball and try to run through everyone. The tactics were disgraceful. I don't know what you were expecting from martial when we literally had 8 men behind the ball the whole first half. Even then he was one of the few trying to make a difference. Lukaku was far worse.