Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's an enigma. He looked slow and cumbersome most of the match, and I thought that he had really lost his pace. Then in those last ten minutes he showed that his pace is certainly there, in abundance. He's best when he is running at his man and linking up with those around him. I've argued before that he's one of our best short passers in and around the box, and he looks to have that still in his locker.

Truth be told, however, I still see him as a lost cause, and I'm slightly annoyed that he ignited a little spark of hope that he may once again become good.
He's got the lot. He just needs to sort out his attitude. But it's hard to see it happen given it hasn't already.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Pity if he spends his last good years in Portugal, but then maybe he peaked early and since then injuries and lack of faith from management has ruined him. He showed signs of his old self on saturday, but face it he's never going to play consistently for United again. Oh well. Good luck to him.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I think it might be the case, as good as he is technically, his brain is too slow for this level. He would feel much more comfortable in Portugal/Italy IMO.
What a lot of rubbish. Was his brain too slow when he was one of the best wingers in Europe for 2 years? Injuries and lack of faith from managers have ruined him. He lacks self belief these days and you can see it by the way he plays on the pitch. The move away will do him good.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Really disappointed to see Nani go. If (I know it's massive if) we signed a player like Di Maria, signalling potentially a shift to a 4-3-3, he would have been a great squad option to have. Showed on Saturday glimpses of the ability he still possesses. Much rather have him in the squad as an attacking option compared to Valencia and Young.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What a lot of rubbish. Was his brain too slow when he was one of the best wingers in Europe for 2 years? Injuries and lack of faith from managers have ruined him. He lacks self belief these days and you can see it by the way he plays on the pitch. The move away will do him good.
Ok. I disagree, but you believe what you want. Of course injuries and lack of faith in him played its part, but I never saw him as a very impressive team player.

::sonny::

Nani? There was a spare seat next to me and my dad up there, he should have been sat there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Ok. I disagree, but you believe what you want. Of course injuries and lack of faith in him played its part, but I never saw him as a very impressive team player.
He went through an 18 month period where he had basically a goal/assist per game. He was probably the best player in the PL during that period too so I'd argue he was definitely one of the best wingers in Europe at that point, and quite the team player (I don't think anyone has matched that assist tally in the PL since)

Carragher's tackle cocked him up. A confidence player on a very long, brilliant run who never managed to find the confidence again after his injury. A shame, I think he's actually the most talented youngster we've had in our ranks since Ronaldo & Rooney (well, until Adnan came along), more talented than Anderson was. Just injuries, bad decision and a lack of confidence cost him here. It'll be sad to see him go back to Portugal essentially on a whimper.

RuudTom83

You never knew what you were going to get from Nani, but he gave the fans some great memories.

He is one of a group of players that have just gone stale at United in te last season, i wish him well at Lisbon.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A real shame that a player with insane shooting, crossing, pace, dribbling and 2 footedness has been reduced to a bit part player.

I blame injuries. It has to be. He was once at Hazard and Di Maria levels.

Let's hope for a miraculous recovery but it's not looking good.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Sorry to see him go. He is never been a huge favourite of mine but I loved that spell he had a few years ago he looked so class.

justboy68

You never knew what you were going to get from Nani, but he gave the fans some great memories.

He is one of a group of players that have just gone stale at United in te last season, i wish him well at Lisbon.
Yep, about sums it up. Hopefully rips up the Portuguese league then we can get a decent fee in for him from an Italian club or something. Like you say some players here have gone a bit stale or stalled and it's imperative we start shipping them out and bringing fresh faces in to revitalise the squad. Did well for us for a while though and was probably the best player in the PL for the 2010/11 season. Wish him the best if he is indeed on his way.

Rossa

He's got the lot. He just needs to sort out his attitude. But it's hard to see it happen given it hasn't already.
Spot on. It must be frustrating for him as well watching so many players with so much less talent perform so much better. He should be world class, but even I am growing tired of waiting for him to once again prove his worth.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Glad he's off personally as the squad needs a trim and he's not good enough.

Hopefully he plays well and we can get a decent fee for him next year.

manutddjw

Think it's a bad deal on both parts. Sporting should've taken Anderson because if by some small miracle he produced for them, at least he'd be free next season and Sporting would have a good shot at retaining him, which won't be the case with Nani. For our part, it's bad because Nani does have some value and could fetch us at least 5 million.

Super Nani

Ahh are we finally selling him? I knew I'd regret this user name...god dammit :(

JSMHE

Valencia has been shyte for the past 24 months now & it seems he slips under the United fans' radar. Ashley Young has contributed more than Valencia in our squad. Valencia should be shown the door, he is useless.
I thought you were talking about who is our best wingers since Ronaldo left. Clearly Valencia had been played better than Nani in 2009/2010. He had been played better than Nani in 2011/2012. The only season Nani played better than Valencia overall was in 2010/2011 but Valencia got broken leg in that season.
The last 24 months Nani spent his time with his bloody injury. With lack contribution due of injury I can't say he played better than Valencia. If you want to be called the best winger since Ronaldo left then he needs a proof by playing match in consistently. Not playing with his injury consistently.

Firstouch20

Fans are such twats at times. How the feck is he getting stick for his cameo against Swansea? He made many effective penetrative runs, he set up a few half chances, made good decisions and generally looked sharp. Kind of confirms my theory that Nani's good performances are judged as average and his average performances are judged as poor. Imagine the stick Nani would have gotten from the crowd if he was giving the ball away left, right and centre like Rooney was on the weekend.

Ringo 07

Really can't wait to see the back of him...like Anderson he's only here for the money.....he suddenly turns into a world beater every time his contract renewal talks are approaching.....Despite having all the tricks in his locker he is no more than a Ricardo Quaresma or a Freedy Adu - players who have got all the skills in the world but who were always miles away from playing consistently at the highest level for various reasons

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fans are such twats at times. How the feck is he getting stick for his cameo against Swansea? He made many effective penetrative runs, he set up a few half chances, made good decisions and generally looked sharp. Kind of confirms my theory that Nani's good performances are judged as average and his average performances are judged as poor. Imagine the stick Nani would have gotten from the crowd if he was giving the ball away left, right and centre like Rooney was on the weekend.
Rooney can't do no wrong with English fans. Even if he brain-farts on the pitch for 90 mins & do feck all, they would still find a way to give him the MOTM gong. He's one of the reasona we lost on Saturday.

Hannibal

I thought you were talking about who is our best wingers since Ronaldo left. Clearly Valencia had been played better than Nani in 2009/2010. He had been played better than Nani in 2011/2012. The only season Nani played better than Valencia overall was in 2010/2011 but Valencia got broken leg in that season.
The last 24 months Nani spent his time with his bloody injury. With lack contribution due of injury I can't say he played better than Valencia. If you want to be called the best winger since Ronaldo left then he needs a proof by playing match in consistently. Not playing with his injury consistently.
Nani was the better player for me even in 09/10. He started slow but went on an amazing run from January 2010 when he completely destroyed Arsenal @ the Emirates....Got a brace against Bayern at OT, provided the assist at Allianz Arena, and even got us the winner against Spurs with a dink later in the season.

In 10/11, there was no better player in the league. How Bale got the player of the season was a conspiracy by the media. Nani was by far the best player in the league throughout that year with 10 goals & 19 assists.

In 11/12, he started the season also very brightly with a MOTM performance against City @ Wembley.....Our early form that year when Cleverley & Anderson dazzled had Nani doing great things too. Valencia came back from injury that season & he was fantastic. Valencia won Man Utd's player of the year award. Nani won a place in the PFA team the previous season.

In 12/13 & 13/14, both have been very poor. Nani got injured a lot & barely played. Valencia played and was poor throughout. Excuses can be made for Nani, it's not his fault he is injured. Valencia actually played & his form just went from bad to worse to worst. 82 crosses in one game against Fulham last season was the final straw.

Statistically, Nani has been heads & shoulders above Valencia. Nani is the better winger, the one more likely to produce a moment of brilliance. Nani is the one with more ammo in his pocket to hurt the opposition. Valencia has lost it & he should be sold right away.

RedorDead21

One of the major examples of why the club is where it is today....underperforming player for several years but still at the club.

JSMHE

Nani was the better player for me even in 09/10. He started slow but went on an amazing run from January 2010 when he completely destroyed Arsenal @ the Emirates....Got a brace against Bayern at OT, provided the assist at Allianz Arena, and even got us the winner against Spurs with a dink later in the season.

In 10/11, there was no better player in the league. How Bale got the player of the season was a conspiracy by the media. Nani was by far the best player in the league throughout that year with 10 goals & 19 assists.

In 11/12, he started the season also very brightly with a MOTM performance against City @ Wembley.....Our early form that year when Cleverley & Anderson dazzled had Nani doing great things too. Valencia came back from injury that season & he was fantastic. Valencia won Man Utd's player of the year award. Nani won a place in the PFA team the previous season.

In 12/13 & 13/14, both have been very poor. Nani got injured a lot & barely played. Valencia played and was poor throughout. Excuses can be made for Nani, it's not his fault he is injured. Valencia actually played & his form just went from bad to worse to worst. 82 crosses in one game against Fulham last season was the final straw.

Statistically, Nani has been heads & shoulders above Valencia. Nani is the better winger, the one more likely to produce a moment of brilliance. Nani is the one with more ammo in his pocket to hurt the opposition. Valencia has lost it & he should be sold right away.
Sorry, I might need to repeat this again, to be the best or better you need to be consistent. The number of Valencia played great than Nani in 09/10 and 11/12 are more. You just said Nani started slow in 09/10 while Valencia played great from the start of 09/10 until the end. Got brace in a some games doesn't mean you are better. Valencia was the one gave the two assists to Nani against Bayern anyway.

I already told you 10/11 Nani was better since Nani played great in many games unlike in 09/10 he started slow.

11/12 Valencia was better.

12/13, 13/14 Nani spent his times with his injury consistently which mean he's not playing much games to prove himself as a better player than Valencia.

Steven Seagull

Really can't wait to see the back of him...like Anderson he's only here for the money.....he suddenly turns into a world beater every time his contract renewal talks are approaching.....Despite having all the tricks in his locker he is no more than a Ricardo Quaresma or a Freedy Adu - players who have got wonderful skills in the world but who were always miles away from playing consistently at the highest level for various reasons
Don't make stuff up. He was given a contract last season despite missing most of pre season. He signed it. That's our problem, not his

RooneyLegend

A real shame that a player with insane shooting, crossing, pace, dribbling and 2 footedness has been reduced to a bit part player.

I blame injuries. It has to be. He was once at Hazard and Di Maria levels.

Let's hope for a miraculous recovery but it's not looking good.
hes never been on hazards level

Hannibal

Sorry, I might need to repeat this again, to be the best or better you need to be consistent. The number of Valencia played great than Nani in 09/10 and 11/12 are more. You just said Nani started slow in 09/10 while Valencia played great from the start of 09/10 until the end. Got brace in a some games doesn't mean you are better. Valencia was the one gave the two assists to Nani against Bayern anyway.
Nani has been very consistent, his numbers suggest so. If Nani plays, Nani delivers - it's as simple as that. Nani was the better player in 09/10.

Nani
3 goals, 10 assists, 1585 league minutes.

Valencia
5 goals, 9 assists, 2613 league minutes.

Nani is more likely to contribute goals/assists.

I already told you 10/11 Nani was better since Nani played great in many games unlike in 09/10 he started slow.
Nani was the best player in the league that year, point blank period!

11/12 Valencia was better.
No he wasn't, just because Skysports or a large portion of English fans don't like Nani doesn't mean Valencia was the better winger that season. He won the award just because of his comeback after his gruesome injury & the determination he showed into steering us back into winning ways.

Statistically in 11/12 season,

Nani scored 8 goals, 12 assists in 2104 league minutes. Valencia scored 4 goals & 14 assists in 2,124 league minutes. Valencia played more minutes but Nani contributed more in (goals + assists).

Before you go on about statistics being a miniskirt, I should make you aware that statistics are facts and not the musings of Gary Neville or the romanticism of Jamie Redknapp on Skysports.

The average English fan loves a trier. The player that looks busy without necessarily doing a good job gets more cheers than the one that is silently and effectively going about his business. This is why many English fans would tell you Andy Caroll or Grant Holt are better than Berbatov.

12/13, 13/14 Nani spent his times with his injury consistently which mean he's not playing much games to prove himself as a better player than Valencia.
And how's that Nani's fault that he has been injured for most parts in the last 2 seasons? Fact remains if Nani cops minutes under his belt, he delivers.

In 12/13,

Nani played only 630 league minutes and scored a goal + 3 assists. Valencia played 2207 minutes and scored a goal + 7 assists.

In terms of minutes/creativity, who is the better player in your own view? The one that struggles to add meaningful contribution to the team with the obscene amount of minutes he gets or the one who contributes more even when he plays lesser minutes?

JSMHE

Nani has been very consistent, his numbers suggest so. If Nani plays, Nani delivers - it's as simple as that. Nani was the better player in 09/10.

Nani
3 goals, 10 assists, 1585 league minutes.

Valencia
5 goals, 9 assists, 2613 league minutes.

Nani is more likely to contribute goals/assists.

Nani was the best player in the league that year, point blank period!

No he wasn't, just because Skysports or a large portion of English fans don't like Nani doesn't mean Valencia was the better winger that season. He won the award just because of his comeback after his gruesome injury & the determination he showed into steering us back into winning ways.

Statistically in 11/12 season,

Nani scored 8 goals, 12 assists in 2104 league minutes. Valencia scored 4 goals & 14 assists in 2,124 league minutes. Valencia played more minutes but Nani contributed more in (goals + assists).

Before you go on about statistics being a miniskirt, I should make you aware that statistics are facts and not the musings of Gary Neville or the romanticism of Jamie Redknapp on Skysports.

The average English fan loves a trier. The player that looks busy without necessarily doing a good job gets more cheers than the one that is silently and effectively going about his business. This is why many English fans would tell you Andy Caroll or Grant Holt are better than Berbatov.

And how's that Nani's fault that he has been injured for most parts in the last 2 seasons? Fact remains if Nani cops minutes under his belt, he delivers.

In 12/13,

Nani played only 630 league minutes and scored a goal + 3 assists. Valencia played 2207 minutes and scored a goal + 7 assists.

In terms of minutes/creativity, who is the better player in your own view? The one that struggles to add meaningful contribution to the team with the obscene amount of minutes he gets or the one who contributes more even when he plays lesser minutes?
You only used the statistic of FPL. FPL counts the winner of the FK and PK and also own goal as assists. And that's only EPL competition.
And just look at the number games of Nani played. That showed how Sir Alex prefers Valencia since he was way more consistent.
Statistic means nothing if you don't play great in other aspects. Don't just count the assists or goals but also count how many times they gave the ball away, key passes, how hard they work and etc. It's pointless if you can score 2 goals in a game and the next games you played crap, and then made assists, and played crap again.

Valencia's gruesome injury was in 2010/2011. You knew nothing about Valencia 2011/2012.
Valencia played better than Nani in 2011/2012 (you are the only one here disagree with it).
Valencia broke his leg in 2010/2011 and Nani step in to shine. And still, Valencia is picked ahead of Nani in Final Champion league starter. Still overall played better than Valencia

Again. You only used FPL stats. They are nothing but just a game of goals and assists.
I can't believe how can you said a player is better when he spent his time with injury, you can't judge how well he has done if he spent his time with injury. I also never said Valencia was better in 2012/2013 and 2013/2014. And I can't say Nani was better either. You know what may be you should also said Macheda is better striker than Berba in 2008/2009 due of the average number minutes and goals. Jeezz.

Last edited:

thejtrain

It's the same thing as with Cleverley, while doing feck all he still manages to look the busiest player on the pitch.
Agree, it annoys me the most. Cleverley almost always looks the busiest player on the pitch, but he does absolutely feck all in looking so.

On Nani, I've always liked him, but unfortunately Sporting is his level. Can occasionally have a great game at big clubs like United, but he just can't do it consitently. Injuries and his attitude haven't helped things either. This can only be good for all parties. I'd have actually preferred selling him to loaning him out TBH.

Now loan the afro man out please.

Super Nani

I would have liked Nani to be given this season to prove himself but obviously van Gaal doesn't have him in his plans so I guess this is the best solution. Silly to loan him and us cover the majority of his wages though, I mean it's not like we have loads of wingers better than him at the moment, it's just fitting him in to van Gaals preferred formation. If we sign Di Maria then fair enough as that will completely limit his chances but despite a good pre season, Young still doesn't fill me with much confidence and Valencia can be very temperamental at times.

The main reason it would have been nice to see him stay and given a chance is that we all know what he can do on his day and with the new contract last year, Nani owes us his best and would surely be fired up to prove himself. Bottom line though is Young has shown his quality to van Gaal in pre season and impressed, Nani hasn't had much chance but also hasn't done enough when he has played so this isn't really surprising. Despite the stick he gets on here at times though, he isn't a bad squad player to have so hopefully he goes to Sporting and has a good season, gets his confidence back and then returns here or we well him for a decent amount.

Last edited:

Hannibal

@Hannibal

Valencia looks like he tries harder, people love a trier
I don't love a trier - I love the most effective player on the pitch. Inspiration over perspiration for me.

Goodluck to English fans loving a trier and choosing zombies like Scott Parker, Gareth Barry, Henderson, etc ahead of Carrick. We have all seen how that has worked out fine for the 3 Lions in recent tournaments.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
We should have sold him and not loaned him. Nani is done at this level, zero motivation
Ideally yeah, but look at it this way. We have him on contract for 4-5 more years. In a far inferior league, and back in his native Country, if he manages to find form and play well, Sporting will not mind paying 10-12M for him next season. A sum which looks difficult to get this time. I only hope we are not paying Nani's whole wages or something this year. That way it will make no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.