6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

He wasn't perfect. Matič had that early mistake when he let Bale have a shot on goal from that corner. If Bale got that shot on target it would have been a goal.

And he fecked up majorly on the Isco goal. When defending 1 2’s you don't chase the ball.

Instead you stay with your man as Daley Blind demonstrates.

However, his distribution was good and he was our best player out there.
You're really trying hard to nit pick here and quite frankly it's unwarranted. Aside from the fact that Jones is still on vacation and has left Bale in acres of space whereas Matic is actually trying to defend, I'd imagine a lot of the errors and communicative defensive errors get sorted as the players get more accustomed to each other.

From the handful of preseason games I'm most impressed by Matic. I was a bit hesitant because of the locker room rumors from Jose's last season but man, he is a damn good player. And I'm quite endeared by his pushing to leave as well.

Suedesi

You're really trying hard to nit pick here and quite frankly it's unwarranted. Aside from the fact that Jones is still on vacation and has left Bale in acres of space whereas Matic is actually trying to defend, I'd imagine a lot of the errors and communicative defensive errors get sorted as the players get more accustomed to each other.

From the handful of preseason games I'm most impressed by Matic. I was a bit hesitant because of the locker room rumors from Jose's last season but man, he is a damn good player. And I'm quite endeared by his pushing to leave as well.
Jones didn't play you bozo

NK86

He wasn't perfect. Matič had that early mistake when he let Bale have a shot on goal from that corner. If Bale got that shot on target it would have been a goal.

And he fecked up majorly on the Isco goal. When defending 1 2’s you don't chase the ball.

Instead you stay with your man as Daley Blind demonstrates.

However, his distribution was good and he was our best player out there.
There's a huge difference in the two situations. Bale was inside the box and Matic was going to close him down. If anyone it is Valencia at fault for dozing off

Z_Wolf

Hopefully people will be able to see beyond his defensive contributions because he brings way more than that. He's not the donkey with a turn of a cruise ship like he was made out on here before we signed him. He's a great footballer who can pass, shoot and drive forward with the ball when needed. He reads the game very well too and has got impeccable ability sniff out danger. I think his presence will help our overall attacking play should Jose allow for it.

Looking forward to the new season with Matic in the team. I'm sure he will prove a lot of people wrong.

Reactions: Akshay

Sterling Archer

Jones didn't play you bozo
Woah there, aggressive and petty. We're analyzing an error from a glorified friendly. Relax.

I'm not zooming in and correcting the identity of the player because it doesn't change the point that it's not Matic's fault.

There's a huge difference in the two situations. Bale was inside the box and Matic was going to close him down. If anyone it is Valencia at fault for dozing off
Glad someone gets it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hmm, I don't think I would have compared Matic with Vidal pre-injury. Vidal was always the more dynamic player. Matic was the best holding midfielder in the league under Jose, we'll see if that's true again this season.

I agree he is better suited to a midfield 3, but so far his distribution has been very quick and he's been successful whenever he's had to run and press high up the pitch. I think if we choose to employ a midfield two for some games he'll do just fine.

I'm not really sure why Bakayoko is a better foil for Kante than Matic, because Bakayoko and Kante seem to have similar games while Matic is a better pure holding option. Also, 35m isn't that great a fee in this market. If you try to buy a replacement of Matic's quality it will cost as much or more (we should know, we tried).
Vidal has always been more dynamic offensively, but he's also just about the most destructive midfield force in my opinion. Matic was comparable in that aspect when he returned to Chelsea initially.

Matic's distribution is quick when he has the ball on his left foot and he isn't pressured-if he's at the base of a midfield 3 then he'll have the space to move the ball relatively quickly. In a midfield 2 where he's pushed further up and exposed to pressing, I think he'd struggle more, and this is what we saw last year. Often he'd have issues circulating the ball because he'd have to shift it away from his right peg to distribute it effectively.

I think Bakayoko and Kante work better as a partnership in a two because in Conte's system as constructed both midfielders have to be able to press high and track back, while as you say Matic is better sitting a bit deeper. Bakayoko is also a very good and underrated dribbler so will bring attacking thrust from the middle as a shuttler, which was lacking last season (at least in theory).

XdanielredX

I think he will be a great player for us.

In theory and potentially if they all play to their potential we have an potentially incredible dynamic in midfield in Matic, Herrera and Pogba.

prtk0811

Aye , it was Antonio Valencia who dozed off, he should have followed his runner, as he is not a natural right back he has the tendency to make mistakes when the going gets really tough and game inteligence come into play.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
“When I joined Manchester United last year, I thought immediately that we needed a kind of Matic. There are not many, there are just a couple, but I thought that.
But I was not thinking of it because I always thought I never like to go to players that I think are an impossible mission, and I felt there was no chance. Then this season, when I got the call that Matic wants to play for me and for Manchester United, and he can make it happen, I thought he’s the perfect player for me. Not just for his qualities but also for my relationship with him, the way I know him, the way he knows me.”
Wow!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's like Carrick 5 years ago minus the silky passing range but with added physical prowess and ball carrying ability.

Traub

feck me, he's like Herrera and Carrick combined into one.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Looks very, very good - the sort of settled midfield presence we've been needing for years.

AndyJ1985

I love him. Seriously he's the midfielder we were crying out for. He's fecking class.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looks so much more at home in a Mourinho team than he did in Conte's set up.

Mercurial

My hat off to Matic! what a phenomenal player he will be for us!
Hard press, great aerial, excellent composure, he is the key player we were missing!

Fox E Power

Silencing the doubters very quickly. Delighted he;s screening our back 4, super performance so far.

Stadjer

Love hin already. Best United player against Real and vital against West Ham now.

We wouldnt have scored that goal with Fellaini or Carrick playing instead of Matic

TsuWave

Not gonna lie, wasn't expecting this positive impact so early into his United career. impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.