Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloysius's Back 3

You haven’t got a clue what you’re talking about. He’s our most important player.
No he is not our most important player. He is only important if we continue to play a formation that requires a DM - this is not an issue when its so batantly obvious that 352 is the most suited formation to our squad & that formation does not require a CDM, nor a RW, nor a makeshift target man. A 352 requires just two standard CM's and 2 strikers - yet Jose continues to use a formation we are a complete dud in.

We do not need Matic & only need him in a 4231/433 - that was not the reason we lost today; we lost today because Jose creates holes in the squad due to his tactics.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No he is not our most important player. He is only important if we continue to play a formation that requires a DM - this is not an issue when its so batantly obvious that 352 is the most suited formation to our squad & that formation does not require a CDM, nor a RW, nor a makeshift target man. A 352 requires just two standard CM's and 2 strikers - yet Jose continues to use a formation we are a complete dud in.

We do not need Matic & only need him in a 4231/433 - that was not the reason we lost today; we lost today because Jose creates holes in the squad due to his tactics.
Your math is a bit wrong there.

Fer

Would you prefer a 352 formation instead of 4312?
De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw
Fred - Matic - Pogba
Sanchez
Lukaku - Martial
Or Lingard as No.10 with Sanchez next to Lukaku.

I agree that we need a formation with no wingers considering the players we have. But, we also have quality midfielders and good attackers. I prefer to add a player to create goal opportunities than another defender.

AgentP

There are some rumors about Matic being used as a CB. Initially, I found that absurd but coming to think of it, it's not the worst idea if Jose feels he has lost too much pace to play the DM role effectively. Mascherano's shift to a CB role comes to mind when I think of similar examples. Matic has the physicality and the height to handle aerial pressure. His only weakness is pace but we sit pretty deep so there's not much fear of being caught too high. His excellent passing will solve the main problem in our backline. If the plan is to play with 3 CBs, then it's even better as he'll feel more comfortable.

Alabaster Codify7

I think Matic would make a good CB. Have him in the middle, flanked by Smalling and one other and it could be a solid back 3. Maybe I wouldn't be trialling it in such a big game, but whatever.

Aloysius's Back 3

There are some rumors about Matic being used as a CB. Initially, I found that absurd but coming to think of it, it's not the worst idea if Jose feels he has lost too much pace to play the DM role effectively. Mascherano's shift to a CB role comes to mind when I think of similar examples. Matic has the physicality and the height to handle aerial pressure. His only weakness is pace but we sit pretty deep so there's not much fear of being caught too high. His excellent passing will solve the main problem in our backline. If the plan is to play with 3 CBs, then it's even better as he'll feel more comfortable.
People have been saying for ages to utilise 352 with a CDM playing as the 3rd central CB.

Blind was a horrible sale considering he had the proven balance between CDM & CB. Matic should play as a CB in my opinion too - the lack of the 352 & the overuse of the 4231/433 formations is the reason we struggle - it promotes a level of solidarity but individualism to our game play the way it is currently managed.

IrishRedDevil

I text my mate 2 weeks ago saying we should shift Matic back to CB. Albeit I meant as the central defender in a back 3, but still as a CB. If this works, I'm taking all the credit.

arnie_ni

His worst performance for us easily. Well of the pace, didnt look half fit

kiristao

Was too slow and lethargic today. Don't see why he started ahead of Periera.. Even Mctominay would have been a better option

R'hllor

Mourihno just pulled his classic move on us, what a king, next phase, force him into first XI regardless of his current form, state, fitness. At the end we might be watching Ivanovic MK II case.

Bobski

That was horrid.

Passenger. Gamewatching.

Not sure if he's just unfit, or is this what we are getting from him this season.
Play higher up the pitch, in a stretched game, and his lack of mobility becomes obvious. It is the reason why Chelsea were looking to move on from him. The idea that Mou plays defensively to protect the back 4's weaknesses might have some merit but Matic is also part of that equation.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Piss poor tonight, but clearly rushed back as Mourinho had his 3 favourites on the pitch. Matic, Lingard and Lukaku.

Sylar

Looked unfit or not match fit. Pace was too fast for him. Think this was a game too early to start him.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
First game of the season for him, and coming in after surgery, so he gets a pass.

R'hllor

You just can't throw a player like that (old and slow) coming back from a serious issue like that, in a game this big.
We saw tonight that you can, its not even a throw, the moment he was able to walk, he went in, regardless of other options being more fit or in better form, condition w/e. Similar shit happened to Shaw last season, examples as much as you like.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We saw tonight that you can, its not even a throw, the moment he was able to walk, he went in, regardless of other options being more fit or in better form, condition w/e. Similar shit happened to Shaw last season, examples as much as you like.
Mourinho doesn't help himself with dumb decisions like that. Matic is a good player and I like him but last night he was understandly terrible.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't think he's a good DM. He's very strong on the ball but, in the tackle, is quite passive and weak. I think he'd excel as a box to box player.

Ashley R1+O

Rushed back, not ready yet and can only play the out and out anchor role when he's at his very peak. Understandable as he is part of the established leadership group in the team.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Very poor performance. Clearly not ready but obviously the manager does not rate the other options

Canagel

Old man Matic. Too slow for the frantic pace of the PL these days.

ypsipeos

Old man Matic. Too slow for the frantic pace of the PL these days.
The moment Moura starts his run for the second goal you can see him getting past Matic while the Serbian only stares at him thinking "hmmm... looks like this young fella is going for the box, let's see if I can provide cover... OK, can't follow, abort. At least I got a good view of Jones colliding once again".

Never have I seen such lazy ball-watching by him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.