Neville: The players who are rotten in the dressing room are all on social media

kerryman

Neville isn't blaming social media.

He's saying that the problems of the mentality of some of our players are visible on social media.
Exactly, most players are on social media but many of ours are prolific users who are on there acting like they're the greatest footballers in the world who have won it all when they have won very little with the club (FA cup, Europa League).
They're acting like ballers, all blinged up and cruising around in Bentleys and Rolls Royces like they've got nothing more to prove in the game.
Yes Pogba is a World Cup winner with France but we bought him to help us win the league and/or CL and we have not come close to winning either and never will with his attitude.

Him and too many others barely break a sweat on the pitch, jogging and sauntering around like they couldn't care less. Their efforts are too inconsistent, all seemed to make an effort after Mourinho left but have now downed tools again.
I think Pogba wants out to Madrid and he is a big influence on others as he is a big character in the dressing room. DDG is clearly looking elsewhere and that along with Utd's lame effort to tie Herrera to a new contract and let Mata's contract run down has probably unsettled all the Spanish contingent also and made them feel unwanted.

Utd is a big mess from top to bottom at the moment. So many average players on huge wages who aren't good enough. The whole team needs rebuilding really which will take years. On current form/attitude there are hardly any I would want to keep.

Ban

Some of the things he said are right. But Carragher said some more interesting things. Something like United us too big or huge club to be afraid of players signing or not signing contracts. Contracts should be offered on time of course but if you don't want it leave. Also big contracts are a big problem.

shahzy

So Pogba made every other player run less?

Pogba made our manager set up wrong, again?

Pogba then made our manager sit and do utterly nothing as we were outclassed by a WORSE TEAM?

Nah. Sorry, not buying into this again.

It's Woodward and a tactically clueless manager.
This general point I agree with. How anyone can say Pogba was the problem in the Everton game is beyond me. People love a scapegoat. Pogba was the ONLY one trying to do something. The dross that surrounds him are fecking shit and on top of that don't even try. How many times did he set something up for Rashford or even a simple pass to Lukaku and then Pogba made a run. Then Lukaku proceeds to lose the ball and now Pogba is out of position because the big oaf couldn't control the ball. Imagine getting blamed for your team mate losing the ball.

In saying that I think it's past the point it's just one individual or sector of the club's fault. It's everyone's from the board, Solskjaer who seemingly like Mourinho has no plan, the players who are both complete shit and lack any effort

r0663664

Worships Man City
Looks at our XI, who is holding players accountable for their poor play. There is nobody at all. That’s the standard we at now, players on the field is not holding team mates or themselves accountable.

I hope we buy players who are Utd fans and would die for this shirt. Only then, things will move in the right direction.

shahzy

And lack of football intelligence.
What a pathetic cop out. Have a read of G Nev's quotes over the last year and see how he barely ever criticises Rashford and Lingard. Both of whom are terrible. This Rashford kid has been bigged up by the media so much you can see it when he plays. Walks around like he is prime Ronaldo with the biggest ego taking potshots from 30 yards consistently :lol:.
Funny that the one thing that made him semi good at football which was his tenacity and work ethic is completely vanished now that he's got an ego the size of the continent. Yet good guy Nev never needs to point that out. He'll happily point out Martial and Pogba.

As a disclaimer Martials attitude is rotten aswell like Rashford.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Think the issue with Pogba is he's the big man about town at this club. In a team with more as good or better players (France, Juventus) he has to step up to be counted and probably feels more responsibility to perform.

Dante

Average bang
What a pathetic cop out. Have a read of G Nev's quotes over the last year and see how he barely ever criticises Rashford and Lingard. Both of whom are terrible. This Rashford kid has been bigged up by the media so much you can see it when he plays. Walks around like he is prime Ronaldo with the biggest ego taking potshots from 30 yards consistently :lol:.
Funny that the one thing that made him semi good at football which was his tenacity and work ethic is completely vanished now that he's got an ego the size of the continent. Yet good guy Nev never needs to point that out. He'll happily point out Martial and Pogba.

As a disclaimer Martials attitude is rotten aswell like Rashford.
He's criticised McTominay, Jones and Smalling, off the top of my head. But he's never criticised Matic, Herrera or Fred.

And what about De Gea's shocking performance today? Nothing said about that.

You have your own prejudices and your projecting onto Neville.

Pogba's ego is miles bigger than Rashford's and visibly lets his head drop on the pitch. Whereas Rashford is known for showing up to training early and leaving late.

I'venever know of a United 'fan' so desperate to his team's players get criticised.

TsuWave

Jose spent 18 months staunchly defending Pogba against every single bit of criticism. Before he lost patience. Pogba has that affect on people.
Who are these people Pogba has this effect on? All his managers, Jose aside, sing his praises. He is liked by team mates and opposition players alike.

Jose on the other hand, fell out with Ronaldo, Hazard and plenty others despite at multiple points calling them “best in the world”/defending them etc.

Jig1234

The players who are rotten in the dressing room are all on social media.

Darmian is rotten? - He wanted to leave, we didn't let him. This season, he has hardly kicked a ball but you never hear a pep from him, Despite the fact that Ashley Young and co being absolutely hopeless, Darmian still can't get a game.

So, Neville is incorrect. Not all of the players on social media are 'Rotten'. The only thing Rotten is the entire club, From top to bottom. Neville constantly banging on about Social media is embarrassing. Players at all clubs have social media. Doesn't seem to affect any of them. He doesn't need to make it out like using it makes you horrible person. - Plenty of other things to talk about that are fundamentally wrong at Utd.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
No one would care about the players’ social media activities if they were delivering the goods on the pitch week in week in week out. I would be too embarrassed to post anything for weeks after a performance like today’s. :(
Check out Pogba on Instagram. It's ridiculous.

TsuWave

Ask 100 people.. name a Man Utd player on social media. 70 will say Pogba
It’s funny because Pogba doesn’t actually spend much time on social media. A quick look will tell you that his last posts on both twitter and IG were around the 14th and they were promotional partnerships (likely his PR team posting). Meanwhile local lad Rashford, for example, has posts from like a day ago or so. How Pogba developed this active on social media reputation is beyond me seeing as the guy leads such a private life.

It’s kinda like how everyone is here saying he is a virus/toxic when in fact he was the only one that came close to even trying today.

shahzy

He's criticised McTominay, Jones and Smalling, off the top of my head. But he's never criticised Matic, Herrera or Fred.

And what about De Gea's shocking performance today? Nothing said about that.

You have your own prejudices and your projecting onto Neville.

Pogba's ego is miles bigger than Rashford's and visibly lets his head drop on the pitch. Whereas Rashford is known for showing up to training early and leaving late.

I'venever know of a United 'fan' so desperate to his team's players get criticised.
I must of missed those ones. I haven't read anything bad he's said about those 3 mentioned above.

I don't get where this narrative of Rashford having a stellar attitude comes from? It was the case 3 years ago when he was 18 but that's vanished a long time ago. I mean just look in today's game. He was making half arsed runs, potshot from 30 yards away, head down after not receiving a pass etc. Yet Pogba is the only one doing something (and losing possession but atleast trying) and we have fans who just want to point that out (the poster named "el3mel" sticks out).

The world isn't all butterflies and rainbows. These utter tripe players need to know where the feck they are going wrong and rectify it. And if they still fail to rectify it, they can be shown the door. There's no amount of supporting that will fix rotten attitudes

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I just think he singled out social media because he doesn't like it, period. It doesn't explain poor performances from footballers in any way. It's just a very stupid shortcut to make IMHO
You say that. I say it’s a way of indirectly naming players.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s funny because Pogba doesn’t actually spend much time on social media. A quick look will tell you that his last posts on both twitter and IG were around the 14th and they were promotional partnerships (likely his PR team posting). Meanwhile local lad Rashford, for example, has posts from like a day ago or so. How Pogba developed this active on social media reputation is beyond me seeing as the guy leads such a private life.

It’s kinda like how everyone is here saying he is a virus/toxic when in fact he was the only one that came close to even trying today.
The funny thing is that Pogba is the closest thing to a model pro you could wish for despite the Sterlingesque treatment the media tries to give him. He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t go out, he keeps his personal and family life very private, and he’s barely active on social media bar the basic branding stuff his team maintains. When he rejoined United, his initial social group was the older heads in Zlatan and Mkhi who were known the dine with each other privately, rather than the younger, more noisy members of the squad.

Dante

Average bang
I must of missed those ones. I haven't read anything bad he's said about those 3 mentioned above.

I don't get where this narrative of Rashford having a stellar attitude comes from? It was the case 3 years ago when he was 18 but that's vanished a long time ago. I mean just look in today's game. He was making half arsed runs, potshot from 30 yards away, head down after not receiving a pass etc. Yet Pogba is the only one doing something (and losing possession but atleast trying) and we have fans who just want to point that out (the poster named "el3mel" sticks out).
Think about that for a second

The world isn't all butterflies and rainbows. These utter tripe players need to know where the feck they are going wrong and rectify it. And if they still fail to rectify it, they can be shown the door. There's no amount of supporting that will fix rotten attitudes
Why are you having a go at Neville when he's doing exactly what you're promoting?

Canagel

Who are these people Pogba has this effect on? All his managers, Jose aside, sing his praises. He is liked by team mates and opposition players alike.

Jose on the other hand, fell out with Ronaldo, Hazard and plenty others despite at multiple points calling them “best in the world”/defending them etc.
No despite your reasonable logics pogba is the toxic and mourinho was the beacon of professionalism that was unlucky to to put up with it even if he had been sacked already in his 3rd of year of two jobs without Pogba.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I've heard Ole praising Pogba after an average game when McTominay and Fred played well. I think it's more a case of indulging him out of desperation for him to stay. Talking about him as captain material etc. I don't think Ole will keep doing that much longer.

In any case, I think the problem is much more widespread than Pogba. It's highly talented players not giving a feck, it's average players wanting to hold on to their wage package, in a team where there isn't a single leader. And that's just the playing staff.

Bojan11

Someone should have asked him if he is talking about Lingard
Of course not.

English darlings like Young, Smalling, Jones, Lingard and Rashford get a free pass from him. He was actually defending Young later on.

shahzy

Think about that for a second

Why are you having a go at Neville when he's doing exactly what you're promoting?
To the first part, Dante, i stress you have another look at the game mate. Any chance (Very few in total), any forward momentum was created by Pogba. That requires you to take risks and sometimes you lose the ball. Even Messi lost the ball against us at Old Trafford because he takes risks and that is Messi...
Rashford's risk include taking free kicks from 40 metres out, taking a potshot from 30 yards out. That isn't risk, that's just braindead "I think i'm the best player there is and i'll play for myself" attitude. I really urge you to watch again.. Your disdain for Pogba and apathy for Rashford is clouding your judgment ironically what you're accusing me of.

Secondly, i'm not having a go at Neville for berating these players. I'm having a go at him for berating SPECIFIC players whilst some are immune to this treatment. It's ok if you don't believe me but ask maybe 100 fans so you get a larger sample size and you'll find that it isn't only me that see's how easy of a pass British players like Rashford, Lingard, Smalling, Jones get compared to the likes of Pogba (Gets torn apart if he isn't scoring a goal a game from midfield which is laughable really), Martial etc.

Just want to make it clear, i'm not defending Martial. I think he deserves all the stick he is getting BUT that stick should also be aimed at the dross like Rashford and Lingard (In the barca game). I'll stick up half heartedly for Pogba in this game though. He was by far and away the only one trying to play. Admittedly that isn't a very high bar considering the absolute shite surrounding him.

Look-a-Hill

Runs where? Into blind places and cul de sacs. Lingard just looks busy. I'm sure pogba ran more miles than him. Rashford had been barely running and even began throwing arms in the air because someone didn't give him the ball but media and fans is scared to upset him because he's manc through and through.
Pashun/workrate is not enough on its own to be defended. Sanchez tries hard than most where did it get us?
I'm not defending it. I'm explaining why they don't get called out like Pogba/Martial do. Saying "oh they're not good enough" isn't constructive, that's not their fault and shouldn't be up for criticism by someone linked to the club such as Neville. The club at board-level needs to the respond to those deficiencies and it's them who deserves the criticism in that respect.

But Pogba and Martial can work harder and they showed they can during Ole's first couple of months. It's not one or the other, you need both ability and application at this level.

Red_Legion

Reminded me of Waddle's English meltdowns on the radio, when we would get gems such as "They're all just headphones!"

Would have liked to see him and Carragher analyse the game. They are good at that. Neville does otherwise spout a load of inconsistent crap.
:lol:

I remember that and it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

SER19

100% right?!? On something as subjective as the correlation between social media use and on pitch performance?? Leave the thread if you disagree?? Wow!
Well you’ve just completely made things up. I didn’t say leave the thread if you disagree. By all means engage if you disagree that’s what it’s about. If your post is simply your view of Gary Neville as a person, then perhaps a different thread would be better, as that’s not what this thread is about. How you can quote something that is written in black and white, then feign outrage at something it explicitly does not say is something you should consider.

Not going further on the social media point with you. That’s not what he said, and even if an aspect of it is, it wasn’t such a simple point that if you’re on social media you aren’t playing well.

Steven-UK

G Neville was absolutely bang on in his assessment of the team today, and anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded. OGS needs to grow a pair now and get rid of the over-paid dead wood in this team, or 5 years from now we will be in the exact same position

Bulldog United

G Neville was absolutely bang on in his assessment of the team today, and anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded. OGS needs to grow a pair now and get rid of the over-paid dead wood in this team, or 5 years from now we will be in the exact same position
It’s pretty clear OGS wants to go down the road you describe. He sent out a strong message in his presser last week. It isn’t clear that the board will back him. The players responded yesterday seemingly believing the board will never sanction the drastic action necessary. The evidence until now says the players are right.

I’d ask Woody to come and speak to the players on Monday morning. Make clear that nobody’s Manchester United career is safe any longer.

OGS can then ask the players who will admit they want out to step forward. Thank them for their honesty, and invite them to train with the reserves if they are willing to put the effort in. If you are seen to be incapable of even doing that, you can go make your own training arrangements until such as a time as either a) we find you a new club willing to meet our valuation, or b) your contract expires.

Now we’ve sorted out those who will admit they don’t give a stuff about the club, OGS can then move onto the weeding out phase. I believe there are some others in this group who are not being entirely honest with me about their desire to play and fight for this club. It is now up to you to prove me wrong. You have a maximum of four games at this stage, if I decide to give you that long. The moment I’ve decided you just lied to me, I will make you the same offer as those who voluntarily told me they want out.

Don’t think for one second if you make it to next season that you will then be safe here in a job. These evaluations and judgements will continue to be made with the same consequences for anyone who is later determined to be unfit to wear our shirt.

redIndianDevil

If we're talking purely in a Manchester United shirt, one of those players stepped up and took a late stoppage-time penalty, away from home, to send us through against all odds in the Champions League, while the other wasn't even on the pitch because he was suspended after stinking out the first leg.
I didn't know they suspended players for not playing well in a match.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Exactly, most players are on social media but many of ours are prolific users who are on there acting like they're the greatest footballers in the world who have won it all when they have won very little with the club (FA cup, Europa League).
They're acting like ballers, all blinged up and cruising around in Bentleys and Rolls Royces like they've got nothing more to prove in the game.
Yes Pogba is a World Cup winner with France but we bought him to help us win the league and/or CL and we have not come close to winning either and never will with his attitude.

Him and too many others barely break a sweat on the pitch, jogging and sauntering around like they couldn't care less. Their efforts are too inconsistent, all seemed to make an effort after Mourinho left but have now downed tools again.
I think Pogba wants out to Madrid and he is a big influence on others as he is a big character in the dressing room. DDG is clearly looking elsewhere and that along with Utd's lame effort to tie Herrera to a new contract and let Mata's contract run down has probably unsettled all the Spanish contingent also and made them feel unwanted.

Utd is a big mess from top to bottom at the moment. So many average players on huge wages who aren't good enough. The whole team needs rebuilding really which will take years. On current form/attitude there are hardly any I would want to keep.
I think that's just your perception and you mostly hate it because the team is struggling. Something isn't working well for sure at the club and less social media activity will absolutely solve nothing :lol:

... or to protect them? People may have their theories, but without actual names, the players still have a chance to make things right.
If he meant protecting them then there is always the cliché and perfect "fatigue after a CL match" excuse available. I really hope Neville goes into more details when the season ends about he was clearly talking about.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fecking hell lad, just watch the video clip. He's not blaming social media!!!!

When the presenter asks him who the mercenaries are, he says "You know who they are, they're in the newspapers every days and ALL OVER SOCIAL MEDIA".
Re-read what i wrote...ALL players are on there in all clubs. So who is he trying to blame? All of them?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I feel like you need this:
Not sure what you're misinterpreting. I said all players are on social media so when he says theyre all over social media, and what? Most players are.

Someone should have asked him if he is talking about Lingard
He should be because he's one of the main culprits, everything is a joke to him. The other day he went to watch the youth team play and he was messing about with Rashford like he was 15 or something.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Re-read what i wrote...ALL players are on there in all clubs. So who is he trying to blame? All of them?
I could be wrong but what Neville meant is that the players that he is talking about are the ones people are talking about on social media and papers. So recently we are talking about De Gea, Pogba, Rashford, Herrera and probably others that I'm missing.

dogwithabone

This general point I agree with. How anyone can say Pogba was the problem in the Everton game is beyond me. People love a scapegoat. Pogba was the ONLY one trying to do something. The dross that surrounds him are fecking shit and on top of that don't even try. How many times did he set something up for Rashford or even a simple pass to Lukaku and then Pogba made a run. Then Lukaku proceeds to lose the ball and now Pogba is out of position because the big oaf couldn't control the ball. Imagine getting blamed for your team mate losing the ball.

In saying that I think it's past the point it's just one individual or sector of the club's fault. It's everyone's from the board, Solskjaer who seemingly like Mourinho has no plan, the players who are both complete shit and lack any effort

What game were you watching ?

Pogba was a f***ing disgrace, looping around attempting half hearted challenges. One good ball to Rashford, wow ! He’s meant to be one of the best footballers in the world, our Messi our Ronaldo and quite rightly there is an expectancy level with him that there isn’t with other players in that side. Remember Bale in that ordinary Tottenham team ? That is the level he should be at but he’s nowhere near.

SER19

People are obsessing over the social media comment. Why should a fairly long list of complaints be narrowed in scope so much. For what it’s worth there’s nothing he says that even suggests performing poorly is due to being on social media. He’s asked who, then says they’re all on social media and in the papers every day. It’s fair to insinuate that delivering this level of performance while still pushing a high profile of fairly shallow motive, is at odds in some way, especially when compared to successful teams and players that I certainly don’t see as much of. If united were winning games and playing well would he even mention it? Of course not. But to be so shamelessly self interested while failing miserably indicates a real lack of character.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Pogba was a f***ing disgrace, looping around attempting half hearted challenges. One good ball to Rashford, wow ! He’s meant to be one of the best footballers in the world, our Messi our Ronaldo and quite rightly there is an expectancy level with him that there isn’t with other players in that side. Remember Bale in that ordinary Tottenham team ? That is the level he should be at but he’s nowhere near.
It's not a coincidence that you mentioned attackers which he isn't.

SER19

I can’t believe a single person could come in and defend any player yesterday, let alone Pogba. It’s mind boggling. Delusion of the highest level. Watch a good Pogba game and compare it with yesterday. He (among everybody ) was absolutely diabolical.