View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

SteveW

Looked confident but lost aguero for the goal, and almost let toure in for 2 more. Good talent but not ready

DevilRed

Probably fits into LVG's philosophy the best. We seem to love passing the ball out of the back these days and he is clearly very comfortable doing so.

Jones/Smalling and even Evans give me fits when we try to play from the back with short passes.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He wasn't to blame. Yaya got the better of him properly once. Nothing wrong with that. Yaya bettered many players today.
Nothing wrong no, but it wasn't a brilliant display. I am still for the lad starting next game, I like him - just saying he can do better than what he did today - only defenders who can come out of that game with credit are Valencia, Shaw and Carrick at a push.

thejtrain

Not bothered about the performance today. Give him a good few home games and we can judge him if he's ready then.

MarcRed96

Felt sorry for him as he was thrown straight into the deep end but I felt he did okay.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looked confident but lost aguero for the goal, and almost let toure in for 2 more. Good talent but not ready
So what you're saying is, he let the best striker in the league get half a yard on him, and was outjumped by 6ft4" Yaya Toure a few times (though granted, one of those times he could have been positioned better)...??

Of course he's ready.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Only behind Jones in my count for our best defender, atm. Looks more assured than all of our defenders including Jones too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Despite his idiotic red card, I'd like to see Smalling and McNair as CBs. I think the pair will do very well, given the chance.

khoazany

He should do better on a few occasions with Toure but surely he's not at mistake for the goal.

JUPITER

Thought he did fantastically well being thrown in there.

Should be starting a CB for us based on his performances this season.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Nothing wrong no, but it wasn't a brilliant display. I am still for the lad starting next game, I like him - just saying he can do better than what he did today - only defenders who can come out of that game with credit are Valencia, Shaw and Carrick at a push.
No wonder he didn't do excellently. Both starting CB's off, his partner is a MC who hasn't played all season and there's a winger at right back with you one man down away to City. In comparison to that he did pretty well. Pretty much the worst scenario to come on as a defender.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
No wonder he didn't do excellently. Both starting CB's off, his partner is a MC who hasn't played all season and there's a winger at right back with you one man down away to City. In comparison to that he did pretty well. Pretty much the worst scenario to come on as a defender.
I agree - awful scenario.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He should do better on a few occasions with Toure but surely he's not at mistake for the goal.
Maybe, but Toure is a seasoned world class player, eg that turn he did on McNair, with the young lad still learning. Far better and more experienced defenders have been well beaten by Toure. He's done pretty well all in all, given he has been thrown in at the deep end this season.

JoaquinJoaquin

I personally don't think he is good enough to start for us just yet, he allows the attackers too much room and doesn't play tight enough, you seem it with the Aguero goal and the Toure header which he should of scored from really.

There are positives there though, he is great at bringing the ball out from the back and is good in the air, just needs to work on his marking as against the top, top players you cannot allow them the extra room

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I personally don't think he is good enough to start for us just yet, he allows the attackers too much room and doesn't play tight enough, you seem it with the Aguero goal and the Toure header which he should of scored from really.
Again, think about the two players you're talking about...

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Which I agree, are two top players, but the realistic fact is, if you want to be challenging these sides you need to be the at the top level or you will be punished
But this Aguero - the best striker in the league, and Yaya sodding Toure who was actually awake. Cut the kid some slack.

Aguero will find half a yard of space whoever he is up against because he's THAT good. Yaya Toure will outjump 95% of players he's up against because he's that tall.

JoaquinJoaquin

But this Aguero - the best striker in the league, and Yaya sodding Toure who was actually awake. Cut the kid some slack.

Aguero will find half a yard of space whoever he is up against because he's THAT good. Yaya Toure will outjump 95% of players he's up against because he's that tall.
And an accomplished defender would be bang tight on them, because that's what they do, of course Aguero and Yaya have the ability to peel away but Paddy was yards away on both chances, not even challenging for it.
I will cut some slack though, he looks very talented and I do think he has a good long term future here but as of right now, he isn't at the starting level for the big games in my opinion. Although he will probably have to start every game now by default, could be the making of him though.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
There are maybe only a couple of our current CBs whom I feel more comfortable seeing at the back, senior CBs & new Caf favorite Blackett included.

Quite remarkable that, given his experience...

Jaxa

I would rather have

Rafael-Carrick/Jones-McNair-Shaw as our back 4 until we can buy some more class back there, i was kinda glad Rojo went off just not in that manor, I mean he was a liability.

MDFC Manager

Let's be honest now. He made a few errors tonight. Though it would be harsh to judge him on that.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
He did well enough but did completely let Aguero go for the goal. Switched off there.
What's he meant to do? Read his mind? He's with him - and Aguero makes a quick dash perfectly timed for the cross into his feet. That's what Aguero does against ALL Centre Backs he comes across. He makes quick movements and makes space for himself, because he's world class.

Dyslexic Untied

What's he meant to do? Read his mind? He's with him - and Aguero makes a quick dash perfectly timed for the cross into his feet. That's what Aguero does against ALL Centre Backs he comes across. He makes quick movements and makes space for himself, because he's world class.
That's what all strikers try to do and all defenders try to avoid.

It wasn't a very quick dash nor a feinted one. Watch it again. He takes two jogging steps forward and is free with Paddy two three yards away. All the time with Paddy having him in his view. Nothing special about that move at all. Lack of concentration from us is all.

Mark_GrumpyLion

He's very composed for a 19 year old isn't he? Thought he played well today, especially considering it being a Derby and all. Would like to see him play more often, but I'm not sure if he's good enough to start yet.

Getsme

In his position, he is the best in the World at the moment.

Sylar

Agueros movement was fantastic tbh, McNair was with him and that split second movement meant it was too late for him to cover. TBH, it shouldnt have even got to that position, the initial pass to Clichy should have been cut out.

That turn by Toure was fantastic too, but other than that did well. No nonense and no silly mistakes. Should start for us next game.

jem

And an accomplished defender would be bang tight on them, because that's what they do, of course Aguero and Yaya have the ability to peel away but Paddy was yards away on both chances, not even challenging for it.
I will cut some slack though, he looks very talented and I do think he has a good long term future here but as of right now, he isn't at the starting level for the big games in my opinion. Although he will probably have to start every game now by default, could be the making of him though.
This is why I wish were still in the Carling Cup (or whatever it's called,) as it would be the perfect opportunity to give McNair some minutes.

Cro

That's what all strikers try to do and all defenders try to avoid.

It wasn't a very quick dash nor a feinted one. Watch it again. He takes two jogging steps forward and is free with Paddy two three yards away. All the time with Paddy having him in his view. Nothing special about that move at all. Lack of concentration from us is all.
Of course defenders are trying to avoid this, but they are always in second best position, if they have to react. I can't see how that should be his mistake, it's just the way football works. If the cutback from the touchline is precise and the striker movement decent, it's nearly always a goal against any defender. How you say that Agueros movement isn't quick in that situation is beyond me, especially when you are in motion as a defender. The error was in my eyes, that we allowed Toure too much time on the ball in that situation, but that's easier said than done. It was just a really good move from City and Toures pass to Clichy just in perfect.

All in all I was very pleased with McNair. When he came on, City had their best period of the game and were pushing for the goal and he had to play in a patched up defence. Can't get really imagine a worse scenario for an 19 year old defender in a derby.

ZDwyr

He's got some issues but the best thing is that there is clearly talent there. I can see him becoming a good CB for us.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think we might have something here. He appears genuinely smart and a lot more calculated than any of our other center backs.

blitz133w

Great to see a 19 year old coming on derby day and showing such composure. One instance which was a complete mismatch was him against toure's header which went over the bar. He needs to bulk up I guess. The quality is there for all to see. He's confident enough to bring the ball forward even under pressure which even some of our other midfielders are reluctant to do. Made some glaring mistakes though but he'll learn. Lots of positives. Very exciting prospect