Panic Station

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If you mean more than a year, I don't agree.

A manager coming to the club with a glittering record of achievement is entitled to time, but DM has achieved nothing. He was modestly successful at a modest club. Without his friendship with SAF, his CV couldn't justify his appointment.

A Mourinho can point to his wheelbarrow full of trophies and say, "Don't worry, I'll get it right. I've done it in the past." But what can Moyes point to? He's never done it.

A bad year should see him out. There are plenty of top managers who've achieved a lot more than DM. Give one of them the job.
The fact Sir Alex thinks he's good enough doesn't count for anything, then? Or you're just saying it was purely a case of cronyism?

DevilRed

Other results have "favored" us today. Today's result was unacceptable but its encouraging that other title contenders are dropping points left and right as well. I just hope we're able to find that run of form where we can pull off 8-10 wins in a row. I know it doesn't look likely at the moment with Moyes but if there was ever a time to have shit form, its right now at the start of the season. Surely things can only improve from hereon forth.

Revan

Assumptionman
The fact Sir Alex thinks he's good enough doesn't count for anything, then? Or you're just saying it was purely a case of cronyism?
It's not that SAF was a God and always right though. If I am not mistaken he predicted bright futures for Fat Sam and McLeish.

Moyes needs to be judged by the team performances and results. I don't think that he should be sacked today but neither we need to give him three years (if we continue being so poor) just because SAF recommended him.

Commadus

Fergie never made a bad signing?

The problem was not as much as Fergie recommened Moyes but Moyes making too many changes at once. I maintain the succession planning was awfully managed by the club.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I never said that.

Some people are insinuating the club will not be in the title race due to the transitional period, and I think that's a bollocks view.
My bad, I thought you were writing us off. Personally, I don't think there's any doubt that the huge changes that have taken place are bound to destabilize us short term. I'm still hopeful we'll win the title but we won't know the potential of the new men in the key positions for a long time yet.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
It's still too soon. Season before last, Wigan beat us at OT.

And the minute a player has a good/bad game (strike out whichever is applicable) they're amazing/rubbish. Regardless of what was said after previous games.

But it's not just down to Moyes. We've been in decline for a while, despite winning the league last year. Teams aren't frightened of United any more.

Revan

Assumptionman

And the minute a player has a good/bad game (strike out whichever is applicable) they're amazing/rubbish. Regardless of what was said after previous games.

But it's not just down to Moyes. We've been in decline for a while, despite winning the league last year. Teams aren't frightened of United any more.
It was an away game, not in OT.

And I also am not found of these type of comparisons. Yes, we lost sometimes, sometimes against even shit teams, sometime we got humiliated, sometime we played bad and sometime we didn't score. In the quarter of century SAF was the manager sometime happened these things.

But if all of these things happens in the first 6 games then it's worrying.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

Is it very early, you are right, but Arsenal will be 8 points in front at end of play today and I don't care how good we are, that is a lot of catching up to do. Fair enough, people will probably dismiss Arsenal's title chances after recent years and look at City, or Chelsea as a barometer. But atm, Arsenal and Spurs are the teams to beat for me.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Fergie picked Mcleish, Fergie not infallible.
Yeah I know he's not. I was really referring to Chelsea's managerial appointments and the person who has the biggest input for them. For me Moyes has always been the right man and I'll stand by him and SAF seems to think so too.

Member 5225

I like what you did there mate and I agree with you: Why is it that anyone who questions the direction of the club, in the eyes of some, is not a real fan?

Its not only the losses its the manner of the losses. Its not only that we lose its that today, as I saw the game, we lost in large part because Moyes made a decision at half time to remove Kagawa and go more direct. A decision that hugely cut down our interplay on the edge of the West Brom box and marooned our front 4 away from each other to the point where West Brom clearly found it relatively easy to soak up the pressure and counter.

Why should we not be worried about that? Why should we not be worried by the fact the manager doesn't seem to know how to get the best out of players who would rather interchange and play at close quarters than be stretched out across the opposition back four sending crosses to nobody? If we don't change the way we are playing we will not have a good season. Is that something to be happy about?
totally agree with you. my prior post was sarcastic.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea

When did Wigan beat you at OT?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He doesn't. Neither do you or I. Because each game different players turn to shit. We screamed for rotation. We got it. More shit. Players at this level should be out there performing to their highest level, regardless of the manager. Players of this caliber should be giving more, not less, during a transition period. Moyes was always going to make mistakes. The problem with this squad is he has no room to. It's a team with glaring holes that were patched over by the heroics of Van Persie. It's a squad that brought Scholes back last season even though he was clearly past it. It's a squad that for quite some time believed Young was good seeing enough to start, that signed a shitty left back because he was cheap and alive. No creative CM for years. YEARS.

The game has changed significantly in the past three years with rich billionaires buying clubs. United has not changed it's ways. You spend big now or you get left behind. Played will not just come to United because it's United. Not where psg are Monaco and City are out there. The flaws in this squad are obvious and have been for some time. We were able to patch it over because we had the greatest manager of all time. Now we can't. And it's not Moyes fault. Sure, he's mad mistakes. Anyone stepping into this was screwed
Well said.

I worry for a little but until I remind myself that Mourinho's got his team playing shit on a stick football and struggling for wins while Pellegrini's hardly getting his side playing all-conquering football. I'm a little excited in truth. Now we'll see what Moyes is made of. He said from the beginning that he cares more about winning football than attacking football, now this dull football is no longer scraping wins we'll see what he can do. Up 'til now he's still been riding on Sir Alex's coat-tails, playing the same football we've gotten used to over the last two years. Now he's going to have to put his own stamp on the side.

Totally agree.

Livvie

Scout
It was an away game, not in OT.

And I also am not found of these type of comparisons. Yes, we lost sometimes, sometimes against even shit teams, sometime we got humiliated, sometime we played bad and sometime we didn't score. In the quarter of century SAF was the manager sometime happened these things.

But if all of these things happens in the first 6 games then it's worrying.
My mistake.

But we did get beaten at OT by someone we shouldn't have, didn't we? Mind, my brain could just be completely addled.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What worries me most is that we seem didn't play with any strength at all.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
This is the stat that worries me most. They are a top side with some real quality. Idiots on here dismissing them are just clueless.

I agree. arsenal seem to be up there this season, whether we like it or not. A better start will only give them more motivation to go harder.

Livvie

Scout
My mistake.

But we did get beaten at OT by someone we shouldn't have, didn't we? Mind, my brain could just be completely addled.

Fergie never made a bad signing?

The problem was not as much as Fergie recommened Moyes but Moyes making too many changes at once. I maintain the succession planning was awfully managed by the club.
Fergie was the master of wholesale changes. And they didn't always work.

Castia

Other than Spurs at home Arsenal have had a really easy start to the season, not taking anything away from their run but they have to play City, Chelsea and ourselves yet surely the gap wont be 8 points at that stage.

soapythecat

I know we have played had periods under SAF when we were dire to watch, but we always had something about our play that you just had a sneaky feeling we could turn it around. I can't remember when I've watched a united side play so utter garbage, as they have this far this season. Good players are looking average at best and decent players don't even look like league 1 standard. I fear for Moyes because that is going to be one strong dressing room and if it goes, it will be gone in no time.
Am I at panic stations....probably, yes. If we fail to make top 4 this season it would be horrendous. Watching Spurs, Arsenal play so far, I would say they are better sides. No one will be scared of playing us.
Not a knee jerk, just an honest observation.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He doesn't. Neither do you or I. Because each game different players turn to shit. We screamed for rotation. We got it. More shit. Players at this level should be out there performing to their highest level, regardless of the manager. Players of this caliber should be giving more, not less, during a transition period. Moyes was always going to make mistakes. The problem with this squad is he has no room to. It's a team with glaring holes that were patched over by the heroics of Van Persie. It's a squad that brought Scholes back last season even though he was clearly past it. It's a squad that for quite some time believed Young was good seeing enough to start, that signed a shitty left back because he was cheap and alive. No creative CM for years. YEARS.

The game has changed significantly in the past three years with rich billionaires buying clubs. United has not changed it's ways. You spend big now or you get left behind. Played will not just come to United because it's United. Not where psg are Monaco and City are out there. The flaws in this squad are obvious and have been for some time. We were able to patch it over because we had the greatest manager of all time. Now we can't. And it's not Moyes fault. Sure, he's mad mistakes. Anyone stepping into this was screwed

Good post, mate. I know I stated that I believe Moyes has a favoured XI - and still do - but I find myself agreeing with the points you've raised, too.

The chickens are indeed coming home to roost now from years of negligence/genius from the manager, depending on how you view the situation. A bit of both is the truth, I think. Fergie was a maelstrom of a manager, somebody whose sheer iron-will ruthlessly dragged us into contention when the swuad we had didn't really merit it. Moyes has stepped into a red-hot cauldron after a rather disappointing summer transfer window (Fergie asked us to support our new manager. Were the Glazers listening?) and the same deficiencies are still apparent; relying on ageing centre-backs, central midfield non-existent, and persisting with attackers who, in some cases are are woefully out of form, and others inexplicably being deemed United quality.

These problems have existed long before Moyes, yes. But he's had time to decide on his best team and he's shown that he's culpable of weird selections and even more bizarre substitutions. That's what I am judging him on; not the other issues beyond his control.

I believe he'll turn it around eventually, and his confidence will increase over time, but he's been far too cautious in the opening six weeks of the season. Now that we have to throw the shackles off, as such, it'll be interesting to see how he manages it.

Ronnie O'Sullivan

This is the stat that worries me most. They are a top side with some real quality. Idiots on here dismissing them are just clueless.

The Art of War says the biggest mistake is to underestimate your enemy. We have loads here who still believe we're far superior to the likes of Arse, Spurs & Liverpool. We are not. Just because we're Manchester United doesn't mean Titles will fall magically from the sky. Of course we're not going to dominate every year but the board will be extremely foolish not to learn from history, especially Liverpool's example. I really hope these defeats will make some at the club wake up.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
And who else, Arsenal, Spurs? You really think so?
Why not? As long as Chelsea, United and City struggle no one's going to assign 25 extra points to them by default so that they can get away with being poor. None of those three teams have appeared to be remotely capable of winning the title at any point so far, quite the contrary in fact.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
totally agree with you. my prior post was sarcastic.
I know mate that's why I said I liked what you did with the post. I thought the sarcasm nicely made the point.

Member 5225

I know mate that's why I said I liked what you did with the post. I thought the sarcasm nicely made the point.
ah got it. anyways, hopefully we shake this crazy/shitty period off....and quick!

JmRssll555

I can't believe I'm actually reading people seriously suggesting that Moyes is sacked. Oh dear.

We played poorly today and the result was a real bad one, and both Moyes and the players will be well aware of that fact. However, not only is it early days in the league season, it's early days for Moyes at the club - irrespective of how poor we've been so far, keep in mind that Chelsea and City have each been awful too. I'm not "expecting" us to win the title - I don't think anyone ever "expects" us to win it, but we do expect to be challenging for it - and I think come May we will be there or there abouts.

Regardless of whether you think Moyes is good enough for the job, or if you said from the beginning that it should have been someone else, the players and the manager deserve better support than they have received so far. It pained me to hear boo's ringing around Old Trafford at full time today, absolutely shocking - we are not Chelsea.

Before the start of the season, we mostly all agreed on how things would go; Moyes would need time to settle in and that success may not come immediately. Everyone talked the talk, now it's time to walk the walk.

Commadus

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Well, considering most title campaigns are built on an excellent home record... the fact that we've gained 4 points from a potential 9 points with 3 incredibly uninspiring performances would be a worry.

However, as I didn't really expect us to win the league this year, I'm not in panic mode over that... in fact, I largely expect going to Old Trafford won't be as smooth sailing as it has been and we'll have a few more days like today.

This is what it's like supporting a normal club I think...