6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoityourself

Was a joy to watch, but it doesn't seem everybody were watching the same game tonight...

Here's Manchester Evening News verdict:

Pogba
Gave the ball away a lot - usually to his brother, strangely - but did have one moment of skill and technique when he turned sharply in midfield and shot just wide. Should have scored when he headed against the bar. 6

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Was a joy to watch, but it doesn't seem everybody were watching the same game tonight...

Pogba
Gave the ball away a lot - usually to his brother, strangely - but did have one moment of skill and technique when he turned sharply in midfield and shot just wide. Should have scored when he headed against the bar. 6
He wasn't "a joy to watch" but he was alright. He still looks quite clumsy but can produce moments of brilliance like that turn & shot and those exquisite chipped balls.

drdoityourself

He wasn't "a joy to watch" but he was alright. He still looks quite clumsy but can produce moments of brilliance like that turn and shot.
For me he was. That turn and shot, a couple of crossfield passes, that pass over the defence for that Mata chance. Won the ball back on a few occasions and kept it ticking along nicely in the second half.

Utdstar01

Pity Danny Welbeck didn't get that memo about Manuel Neuer. Clean through at Old Trafford against Bayern and he tried to chip him.
Jesus, I'd forgotten about that nightmare moment before you brought it up again :(

SATA

How is the gulf in quality between the brothers of two so big tonight? Paul is so much more talented and better at the sport

LouisDanGaal

Great game, He has been in good form for months if you discount the occasional, usually on its own, bad performance in that spell. He has certainly adjusted to the team at this point. That was one of the classiest midfield performances we have seen for a while, looked like they couldn't get near him at times.

ti vu

How is the gulf in quality between the brothers of two so big tonight? Paul is so much more talented and better at the sport
Youngest child often afforded more favor from the parents... :smirk: Paul seems to be afforded too much more. Some domestic injustice that.

pseudo_canadian

Thought he bossed the midfield tonight. Was attacking the space in between their midfield really well and was always looking for the forward pass when receiving the ball deep.

Just have to say though, even as it's been repeated to death, I still cannot believe that we have Paul Pogba back at United. Such an immense, young talent who seems so happy to be back in Manchester. It is truly a delight to see him playing for United again. What a player!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Was poor in first half in the midfield 3-some but transformed in 2nd half where he delivered one of his better performances this season.

Rubbish at hit the target or just unlucky. I'm not sure. How can somebody hit the woodwork so consistently, after a while you cant call it bad luck.

Maybe he is trying too hard to hit the exact spot as opposed to just hitting the target. Hope we have a coach who knows how to solve this problem, as its most likely one of the key things that has cost us a title challenge this season.

If he can solve this, he can emerge quickly as a goalscorer like Scholes or Lampard, which would solve a lot of problems in one go. It would also help him justify his huge fee and wage.

Oldham

That's more like it. I thought he dominated the game for large periods yesterday...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's hilarious isn't it. I wonder how many goals and assists he could of had at the end of the season including all the close misses and bar/posts.

The stats won't look so good and people will say he's a flop, but he could have had 15 goals this year easily.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've actually preferred him in a 2 with Herrera than a 3 this season. It's crazy that, if we were just a bit more efficient at finishing our chances, both his goals and assists stats would be significantly higher. He gets so close to scoring so often, and creates so many chances every game. Just a joy to watch.

Good to see.
Pogma' is a Rey Mysterio fan I see. These four would be an amazing stable in the WWE - they've already got the poses down.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Pogba looked more assured last night. He's had games where he tried to pull the strings - but we still didn't feel too much of his presence.

For me he moved the ball a bit quicker, realising his roll and what he needs to contribute. It was "only" St Etienne, but it was a solid outing for him for sure. Him and Martial were great

ElQuesoGrande

Pogba
I guess it depends on what gives you joy. For me, personally, the quick, intricate passing that creates lots of chances of the type Mata & Mkhi were doing in the last couple of games is "joyful" to watch. For others, crossfield balls were varying levels of accuracy evidently do.

JoaquinJoaquin

Good game from Pogba; however, I still feel that he would be better served in a midfield three that doesn't include Fellaini in it.
That's on Fellaini though, he unbalances every midfield combo he plays in.

Pogba was brilliant last night. Man of the match for me by far.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
That MEN rating is terrible. Pogba was excellent. One of the most noticeable (and slightly unusual) elements of his performance was how rarely he gave the ball away.

Should have scored that header though. Bad miss.
I also think he's improved on the defensive side of his game lately. Some great tracking back and tackling.

Thought he was very good. Again. And I think he's having a very good first season overall.

RedMaestro

So Pogba has hit the woodwork 8 times this season, most in the league. Is he unlucky, lacks the right concentration or is it poor finishing?

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
So Pogba has hit the woodwork 8 times this season, most in the league. Is he unlucky, lacks the right concentration or is it poor finishing?
Both unlucky and poor finishing. Yesterday was a crap finish. Whereas some of the free kicks /long range shots have just been very unlucky.

LouisDanGaal

Both, based on the chances he has had should be in double figures. Also pulls some shots out which hit the woodwork which you wouldn't give a chance on which would have been great goals. If it clicks for him I would expect him to finish on 20 contributions, I know that is near on doubling what he has done now, but he is getting closer to finding his range.

RedMaestro

Both, based on the chances he has had should be in double figures. Also pulls some shots out which hit the woodwork which you wouldn't give a chance on which would have been great goals. If it clicks for him I would expect him to finish on 20 contributions, I know that is near on doubling what he has done now, but he is getting closer to finding his range.
I agree, the only thing that's needed is the "click". It was obvious yesterday when after every attempt that wasn't a goal, he seemed to be "annoyed" (maybe not the right word). It seems to me that he really needs a goal to "loosen up", after that he will feel a bit more "free" and confident.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
That MEN rating is terrible. Pogba was excellent. One of the most noticeable (and slightly unusual) elements of his performance was how rarely he gave the ball away.
I know! I really have lost respect for the rag & I'm often not sure I was watching the same game? Their evaluation of Pogba & others this year have been way off the mark for me.

Should have scored that header though. Bad miss.
And he knows it!

Nah he's actually aiming for the bar or post 'cause it's harder than actually scoring. He is getting good at it though sn't he? ;)

Walters_19_MuFc

Mourinho is really doing a good job with Pogz.

It's obvious that Mourinho always wanted to play a 4231, which meant Pogba playing as a CDM.

Earlier on in the season, Pogba, despite playing in a 2 was going forward at any given opportunity, leaving his centre midfield partner all on his own.

The last few games, we've seen much more matured performances from Pogba. He's starting to control games more, use his great passing range and defend a lot more. Yes, he still gets forward, but he's starting to do it at the right times.

Robertd0803

Jesus, I'd forgotten about that nightmare moment before you brought it up again :(
I groaned when I read it, thought I had completely blurred that from memory.

Was an interesting performance from Pogba on Thursday, I thought the idea of him sitting somewhat deeper and spraying balls everyone was something different. Admittedly a few of the long balls didn't work out that well and we lost the ball but it seemed a much more controlled game from him.

Think I said in the Herrera thread that having him and Pogba in a midfield two will not work in bigger games. Watford had loads of space and so did Saint Etienne early on.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Mourinho is really doing a good job with Pogz.

It's obvious that Mourinho always wanted to play a 4231, which meant Pogba playing as a CDM.

Earlier on in the season, Pogba, despite playing in a 2 was going forward at any given opportunity, leaving his centre midfield partner all on his own.

The last few games, we've seen much more matured performances from Pogba. He's starting to control games more, use his great passing range and defend a lot more. Yes, he still gets forward, but he's starting to do it at the right times.
To expand on that, I think he's restricting him more at the moment than he will in the long term. He's forcing him to be disciplined until the right time to drive forward and the right time to be conservative is instintual to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.