Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Look at us against West Ham at the weekend and then look at us in the games either side of that where Carrick started, the cohesion between defense and attack is much stronger with Carrick in and allows both Pogba and Ander to play their games to their best level.
The difference between this game and the one last week is that we took our chances this time. We equally dominated that game too (bar that bit at the beginning of the second half when we started a bit flat).

We've been dominating fames and creating chances for a log time now with or without Carrick. He certainly helps and his calming and control influence is a very skiable asset and personally I'd rather have him in the team in a 3 but he'd not make or break.

We've played well without him, just like we've done so without Herrera. And as it turns out we can also play well without Pogba.

Devil may care

Disagree. We had period where we were as dominating as today vs WestHam at the weekend. The difference is with our wide men in the weekend game being so frustrating and made us lose the momentum as well as stamina by being wasteful in possession. Not to forget the referee and his decision, then Mourinho sent off play a part on players' mentality. Had Martial and Mkhi already cemented their places in the team prior to thee weekend game by performing well, then that game outcome would not be far off from this game.
The difference is the sustained pressure we can apply when Carrick's in the side, his accurate recycling of the ball keeps us on the front foot more consistently, we petered out in the second half on Sunday and became disjointed without his influence in the midfield.

I reckon it had nothing to do with either, tbf. We've won plenty of games without both...Just as we've won games without DDG. As little as a month ago in fact, I think?

I am heartened though, that in the aftermath of a fairly decent cup win against a lower, upper midtable side, both the Pogba and Mata threads have been bumped. Because nothing says "The Caf" like a potential argument over whether we should drop our 2 best midfield performers of the season, because we won a secondary domestic cup tie without them.
Our win percentage and goal tallies with and without Carrick are noteably signifigant though, I just think everyone plays better and we retain our defensive and attacking shape much better with Carrick in the team.

:lol: They were both strange bumps, I think the real take away is that we are getting to see quality depth in our forward line and #8 positions.

The difference between this game and the one last week is that we took our chances this time. We equally dominated that game too (bar that bit at the beginning of the second half when we started a bit flat).

We've been dominating fames and creating chances for a log time now with or without Carrick. He certainly helps and his calming and control influence is a very skiable asset and personally I'd rather have him in the team in a 3 but he'd not make or break.

We've played well without him, just like we've done so without Herrera. And as it turns out we can also play well without Pogba.
I'm not saying we are a one man team and can't manage without him, I am just saying that he's the common dominator in most of our best overall performances, he's the one player I feel we noticeably miss the most when he's out of the side.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I reckon it had nothing to do with either, tbf. We've won plenty of games without both...Just as we've won games without DDG. As little as a month ago in fact, I think?

I am heartened though, that in the aftermath of a fairly decent cup win against a lower, upper midtable side, both the Pogba and Mata threads have been bumped. Because nothing says "The Caf" like a potential argument over whether we should drop our 2 best midfield performers of the season, because we won a secondary domestic cup tie without them.
I agree with you, but I'd add that we did play really well... like really well.

And obviously a team is about balance, rather than fitting in the best individuals.

Like I said, I do agree with you, but fitting in Pogba, Mata, Martial, Henrik and quite possible a returning to form Rooney isn't easy, especially when Pogba has to play in a mid 3, you can understand why people are asking it...

------------------DDG-----------------
Val-------Jones-------Rojo------Blind
---Herrera-----Carrick-----Pogba----

Then what? Zlatan has to play, which gives us 2 places left for Mata, Henrik, Martial, Rooney and Rashford...

I honestly dunno who I'd drop out if all available!

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I agree with you, but I'd add that we did play really well... like really well.

And obviously a team is about balance, rather than fitting in the best individuals.

Like I said, I do agree with you, but fitting in Pogba, Mata, Martial, Henrik and quite possible a returning to form Rooney isn't easy, especially when Pogba has to play in a mid 3, you can understand why people are asking it...

------------------DDG-----------------
Val-------Jones-------Rojo------Blind
---Herrera-----Carrick-----Pogba----

Then what? Zlatan has to play, which gives us 2 places left for Mata, Henrik, Martial, Rooney and Rashford...

I honestly dunno who I'd drop out if all available!
If it'd been our only good performance of the season, it'd have a slither of merit, granted. But considering we put in a similar performance, and won by an even greater margin but a week ago, with a side featuring both Mata and Pogba, I don't think their absence pointed to any particular improvement of our 'balance'

Ideally we'd be able to play well with all sorts of line ups, of course. But the A team should still generally include our best players.

Last edited:

Keenst

Not offering a whole lot. Would be better off with Mata if he's gonna play like this.

3KDré

He's going to frustrate, that's the type of player he is.

I don't think he has been THAT bad though. There a few balls he played that no one else in our team could.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Pretty sure that he'll do something of use in the second half

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
People were saying he's not good in a midfield 2. Well he's sure as hell better in a 2 than a 3.

cyberman

There's no link between Ibra and Paul, he has to do too much to advance rather than short 1-2s with a no 10 in front of him

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Pogba has been quality of late but there seems to be a correlation between his bad peformances and high intensity games where space is limited. So far in hia United he seems to have issues when he doesnt have plenty of time on the ball.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Gets into good positions but seems like his first instinct has been to always get that shot away, when there's other players in space.

Strange, because he's played some delicious passes in other games

El Zoido

He's been poor in possession, but it happens. Players have bad games.

Vilev

He was awful today, comfortably the worst player on the pitch in terms of how he played and how he should be playing. I mean Everton's GK and Fellaini did worse in general but you expect them to be half-bad, they are not top players. Not sure they are "above average" even. Pogba is top player and he must do much better even on a bad day. And today he was completely destroyed by some old-timer and a relegation level CM.
Mourinho need to reassess his vision of Pogba's position and role, this number 10 stuff is clearly not working out for him. He does not really control the middle of the pitch and poses no threat whatsoever in front of goal.

Zoo

I thought he defended well but was well marshalled by Gueye going forward.

Vilev

At least he wasn't the worst player anymore
He was if you factor in his expected level. When you buy a player for 100m you don;t expect him to play like a 5-10m does even if his form is poor.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Awful. Only Felliaini's short cameo can top how bad Pogba was today. He only performs when we completely dominate teams and he has donkeys years of time and space on the ball. Another luxury player who can't cut in in tough games.

Status
Not open for further replies.