Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

I thought he played very well. Very tidy in possession. Perhaps he needs to leave England for his own good, as the only thing I can possibly think people could have issue with tonight is him not sprinting continuously. He kept the ball under pressure, created a great chance, linked with teammates and had a couple of decent shots. I’ve seen him play better for sure, but the game was slow paced and I’m not Sure where he was supposed to be running to.
That's how I saw it which was better than his teammates.

A lot of people still don't understand what kind of player Pogba is.
I think I want Pogba, Herrera, and then one of Carrick, Bastian, or Blind. Probably Blind as the first two are old. In those three you have a guy that will help control the game with his passing. You have a guy that will bring energy to help in defense and attack. And you have Pogba to help the attack.

Carrick would be perfect, but last year I was one of those that just thought he was done. Not sure if he can still do that job.
I'm not saying you need the entire midfield filled with super athletes. Pogba likes to drift forward and Carrick isn't exactly young anymore. With Fellaini not being that mobile either, that team could end up getting easily bypassed. Herrera helps out Carrick because he's more mobile and does get stuck in. I feel like Herrera would make up for some of Carrick's lack of mobility.
I think you're underrating his vision and passing. He definitely needs to improve in controlling matches, which is a big reason why Modric is as good as he is.

Pogba can dribble past players better than most midfielders too. He's an offensive talent, which I believe United needs.
From 2015
The only thing he really needs to improve on is his controlling of a midfield. Until he has that he can't be considered the best midfielder as that is the most important area for a midfielder. He has everything else. Once he has that there will be no stopping him

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
The same SAF who knew he'd become world class and tried his hardest to keep him?
Tried his hardest? If Ferguson wanted a player to stay, they usually stayed. Equally if he wanted a player gone, they went.

Problem with Pogba is he's only World Class 1 game in 10 and a waste of time outside of that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Tried his hardest? If Ferguson wanted a player to stay, they usually stayed. Equally if he wanted a player gone, they went.

Problem with Pogba is he's only World Class 1 game in 10 and a waste of time outside of that.
You clearly have no idea.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Fergie wanted Pogba to stay he'd have picked him in midfield regularly.

roonster09

Scout
He was just 18 at that time, SAF and Gill's interview clearly shows how desperate we were to hold on to Pogba.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
People keep claiming that the manager is the responsible for Pogba's poor performances, but I've seen countless of fantastic players that would still play amazing games almost every week for their clubs even in seasons where sh*t hits the fan week in week out.

The manager alone can't be excuse for such pity performances. An outstanding player will perform no mather what. If he doesn't have the drive to be self-motivated, he will never reach his peak.

PepsiCola

It's clear you're not aware of what actually went on.

Look up stories from the time. Fergie wanted to keep him.

Steerpike

You're right, it's not an argument for selecting Pogba. It's an argument that there is an overriding factor to the performances and results we're seeing that doesn't simply boil down to Paul Pogba. Aren't you the least bit intrigued to see how he (and other players) might perform under a more progressive manager?
Firstly, I'm definitely not a fan of Mourinho - I want him out as soon as possible.

Regarding Pogba, if I thought he was doing his best in trying circumstances, if I believed he was one hundred percent committed to playing for the team, then certainly I'd be happy to see what he might achieve under a new manager. The problem is I don't, and that's something I simply can't abide. I look at the likes of Herrera and Rashford, and I see what looks like total commitment every time they play. They have the same manager, and they've both had reasons to feel a bit unloved during Mourinho's tenure. The difference is that they behave professionally, and continue to give the impression they want to be playing for Manchester United.

If a player thinks it's somehow OK to coast just because he doesn't see eye to eye with the manager, what does it say about his future commitment and reliability? Is this a player who will roll his socks up and put the effort in when times are tough?

I've just heard a comment on Pogba from Stuart Pearce - "He just looks like a player who's devoid of interest in the game".

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's how I saw it which was better than his teammates.

A lot of people still don't understand what kind of player Pogba is.

From 2015
A central midfielder who hasn’t improved on “the most important area for a midfielder” (your words) between the age of 22 and 25.

Seems to me that people understand the kind of player he is very well. A deeply flawed one, who is not developing into anything like the sort of player we thinked/hoped he could become.

In Rainbows

A central midfielder who hasn’t improved on “the most important area for a midfielder” (your words) between the age of 22 and 25.

Seems to me that people understand the kind of player he is very well. A deeply flawed one, who is not developing into anything like the sort of player we thinked/hoped he could become.
No, that just means he'll never be the best midfielder in the world.

And just because that is true it doesn't mean United can't best utilize what he is great at. Realize what he is and think of him as part of the solution. So long as the midfield unit gets the job done, I will be happy.

roonster09

Scout
Fergie did want to keep him, but he didn't want to bring him back.
Fergie was in charge for half a season (after Pogba left) before deciding he will retire, where was the time and chance to sign him back?

roonster09

Scout
No, that just means he'll never be the best midfielder in the world.

And just because that is true it doesn't mean United can't best utilize what he is great at. Realize what he is and think of him as part of the solution. So long as the midfield unit gets the job done, I will be happy.
Exactly. this is what I don't understand. Why people care so much about controlling the game (I mean from Pogba), he isn't good at it and he can't. We should sign a midfielder who is good at it and let Pogba do what he is good at. Not every midfielder plays in the same way and have same strengths and weakness.

Canagel

People keep claiming that the manager is the responsible for Pogba's poor performances, but I've seen countless of fantastic players that would still play amazing games almost every week for their clubs even in seasons where sh*t hits the fan week in week out.

The manager alone can't be excuse for such pity performances. An outstanding player will perform no mather what. If he doesn't have the drive to be self-motivated, he will never reach his peak.
But he is because it's not only Pogba. Sanchez, Fred, Mata, Lingard, Rashford, Martial all have looked clueless at stages . I guess he isn't responsible for all their pity performances too then. The manager is not capable of getting this team going with any sort of consistency . nobody knows what their role is. Pogba is the high profile name and gets the attention but it's no different to what's going on with the rest of the squad.
Get a manager that will give players defined roles in a cohesive system and overall performances will pick up.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
You clearly have no idea.
It's clear you're not aware of what actually went on.

Look up stories from the time. Fergie wanted to keep him.
United had a 1 year extension option but required Pogba to sign it to activate it. They wanted to to this to stop him leaving for next to nothing (tribunal fee was around £1m).

If SAF had really wanted him to stay as much as you reckon, he'd have offered him a new contract rather than just the 1 year extension of his existing contract.

Ferguson has said these things about Pogba:

“Pogba signed for Juventus a long time ago as far as we’re aware, it’s a bit disappointing because I don’t think he showed us any respect at all. To be honest, if they carry on that way, I’m quite happy that he’s away, from me, anyway.

There are one or two football agents I simply do not like, and Mino Raiola, Paul Pogba’s agent, is one of them.

I distrusted him from the moment I met him. He became Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s agent while he was playing for Ajax, and eventually he would end up representing Pogba, who was only 18 years old at the time.

We had Paul under a three-year contract, and it had a one-year renewal option which we were eager to sign. But Raiola suddenly appeared on the scene and our first meeting was a fiasco.

He and I were like oil and water. From then on, our goose was cooked because Raiola had been able to ingratiate himself with Paul and his family and the player signed with Juventus.”

Exactly. As I said before, if SAF really wanted to keep someone, he would do everything he could to keep them, including playing him more regularly.

roonster09

Scout
United had a 1 year extension option but required Pogba to sign it to activate it. They wanted to to this to stop him leaving for next to nothing (tribunal fee was around £1m).

If SAF had really wanted him to stay as much as you reckon, he'd have offered him a new contract rather than just the 1 year extension of his existing contract.

Ferguson has said these things about Pogba:

“Pogba signed for Juventus a long time ago as far as we’re aware, it’s a bit disappointing because I don’t think he showed us any respect at all. To be honest, if they carry on that way, I’m quite happy that he’s away, from me, anyway.

There are one or two football agents I simply do not like, and Mino Raiola, Paul Pogba’s agent, is one of them.

I distrusted him from the moment I met him. He became Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s agent while he was playing for Ajax, and eventually he would end up representing Pogba, who was only 18 years old at the time.

We had Paul under a three-year contract, and it had a one-year renewal option which we were eager to sign. But Raiola suddenly appeared on the scene and our first meeting was a fiasco.

He and I were like oil and water. From then on, our goose was cooked because Raiola had been able to ingratiate himself with Paul and his family and the player signed with Juventus.”

Exactly. As I said before, if SAF really wanted to keep someone, he would do everything he could to keep them, including playing him more regularly.
Bold part :lol: ManUtd wanted him to sign as he was superb talent, not to get good fee. This isn't FM.

Except ManUtd offered him very good contract which he rejected.

Gill said: "
We offered him a very good wage, as well as a very generous fee for his agent.
"I don't want to go into details because it was a complex issue.
"However, what I can say is that we were very disappointed.
"Whenever a player is determined to leave and his contract allows it, there is nothing we can do about it.
I can assure you that we did not hold anything back, financially."
From the article posted it was clear SAF wanted Pogba to stay but Juventus had tapped him up long back.

Steerpike

Did he ever have a chance to bring him back?

Or are we moving goalposts to prove a non-existent point.
Fergie was opposed to United resigning Pogba and is known to have said that bringing him back to the club would be a mistake. He was ignored, and Pogba was signed anyway.

It's understandable that Fergie wanted to keep him at the club first time around: Pogba was just 18, had bags of talent, and the physical attributes to be a really dominant midfielder in the mould of a Patrick Vieira or Yaya Toure. The problem was that there was no way he was ready to replace Paul Scholes, and his agent was telling him that he was better than he actually was and deserved to be in the first team. One wonders how he may have developed if he'd stayed - perhaps he'd be a better player, perhaps not, but I'm sure he'd have a better attitude to the game.

In Rainbows

We're talking about an 18 year old player.

Here is what happened
United’s growing sense of alarm over Pogba prompted Ferguson to urge Patrice Evra and Rio Ferdinand to mentor the youngster and persuade him that his future lay at Old Trafford. Ferdinand took Pogba aside in the corridors of the Amsterdam Arena, prior to a Europa League tie against Ajax – which he did not feature in – to give his young team-mate a pep talk about his value to the club, while Evra went further.

“Sir Alex Ferguson sent me to his house to convince him [Pogba] to stay,” Evra said. “He knew that he could become better than Vieira, but he had decided. Ferguson knew that Pogba would become very strong, but also that he could not force the issue.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...for-first-return-to-City-since-departure.html

Not sure why we're still having this narrative hang around this topic.

Steerpike

Fergie was in charge for half a season (after Pogba left) before deciding he will retire, where was the time and chance to sign him back?
I was referring to the decision to resign Paul Pogba when Mourinho was manager. SAF was still around the club, and he made it clear he thought the player was trouble and shouldn't be signed.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
Bold part :lol: ManUtd wanted him to sign as he was superb talent, not to get good fee. This isn't FM.

Except ManUtd offered him very good contract which he rejected.

Gill said: "

From the article posted it was clear SAF wanted Pogba to stay but Juventus had tapped him up long back.

Maybe. But in hindsight, he was happy he was away from him and the club and didn't want him back!

roonster09

Scout
I was referring to the decision to resign Paul Pogba when Mourinho was manager. SAF was still around the club, and he made it clear he thought the player was trouble and shouldn't be signed.
Is there any interview to confirm that?

roonster09

Scout
Maybe. But in hindsight, he was happy he was away from him and the club and didn't want him back!
So now goal posts are moved. Well done.

SAF was desperate to make Pogba stay and he even asked Rio and Evra to convince the player. Pogba just made up his mind to leave the club for first team chances and he got it from the word go at Juventus.

roonster09

Scout
My original post was that SAF was spot on! No moving of goalposts, he was!

A toxic player, with a toxic agent, better off away from your great club.
Except he didn't have problem under any manager except Jose who has history of falling out with everyone.

How was SAF spot on when he was desperate for Pogba to stay?

ash_86

As much flak i give Pogba, i want to see him under a different manager before concluding. We are not normal at this time, none of us, board, players are.

RedDevil@84

Hot and cold and hot and cold. Maybe it is Jose, but I expect a big name player to play well for the club. There is some kind of bare minimum level a top player is expected to play every game.
I doubt if he ll start the Pool match, but more than him I worry if Lukaku will play.

PepsiCola

My original post was that SAF was spot on! No moving of goalposts, he was!

A toxic player, with a toxic agent, better off away from your great club.
He's far from toxic. Funny how the issues surrounding his professionalism prop up the moment he started playing in England. Certain old white journalists hate what players like Pogba and Sterling represent.

In addition, it's Mourinho's bullshit that has driven this narrative and agenda. Pogba deserves a chance under a better coach and functioning first team.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
But he is because it's not only Pogba. Sanchez, Fred, Mata, Lingard, Rashford, Martial all have looked clueless at stages . I guess he isn't responsible for all their pity performances too then. The manager is not capable of getting this team going with any sort of consistency . nobody knows what their role is. Pogba is the high profile name and gets the attention but it's no different to what's going on with the rest of the squad.
Get a manager that will give players defined roles in a cohesive system and overall performances will pick up.
The players you referred are not "self-sufficient" players type. They need the team to work along them.

Pogba is a 100M€ player: he was supposed to be more proactive, to be that midfielder than when you see him with the ball, you can feel something will come out from there. But all I see is a player that doesn't outstand, doesn't make that much cut through passes, and even his dribbling are far from a 100M€ player.

Two simple example:
1 - Deco at Porto: Porto made some shitty seasons with Deco in the squad (but mostly great ones, I'll admit), playing some terrible football, but everytime Deco had the ball you could feel his impact on the team play, despite Porto team colective being poor.
And I'm not just talking about the Portuguese league, I also refer to UEFA Champions League / UEFA Cup matches.

2 - Aimar at Benfica:
We had some shitty football in the first season Aimar was at Benfica. But yet, everytime the tiny argentinian had the ball on his feet, you could feel that the opposition would fear them, and our forwards would suddenly believe some good would come out of it.

That's the player I expect Pogba to be: a proactive driven miedfielder with a great creative force, not the player who's unable to motivate himself and can't resist showboating despite the game being 0-0!

mancan92

Wait which players have you seen play well week in week out when their team was crap?

That's complete nonsense no player players well week in week out when the rest of the team is crap.

Even the 2 players you bring up. They were not brilliant week in week out. For sure defo went through big stretches of poor form at Barca before coming back to form. Aimar would absolutely disappear for Valencia against top opposition.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Wait which players have you seen play well week in week out when their team was crap?

That's complete nonsense no player players well week in week out when the rest of the team is crap.
Check a few posts above, I give two examples from the top of my head.

Steerpike

If that is true, there is no point picking him, till Jose is gone. If a player has made up his mind to under-perform till the manager is gone, he should be nowhere near the squad.
If a player is deliberately underperforming, he should be nowhere near the club, let alone the squad.

mancan92

Check a few posts above, I give two examples from the top of my head.
Cool but if you watched both on a regular basis over the course of their careers you would know that is absolutely not true.

Aimar was hugely inconsistent for Valencia and would turn up 1 in 3 matches. While deco was a streaky player especially for Barca great for a couple months. Then back in his shell again.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Are there any reputable journalists saying Pogba is deliberately playing badly under Mourinho? I thought Pogba was our best player at the beginning of the season only for him to put in some stinkers like he does every season.

If he was trying to underperform on purpose, I don't think he would have played the way he did in the first 10 or so games.

Steerpike

Even the 2 players you bring up. They were not brilliant week in week out. For sure defo went through big stretches of poor form at Barca before coming back to form. Aimar would absolutely disappear for Valencia against top opposition.
I can accept players not being at their best every week, but I can't accept players who don't put the effort in. Pogba looks like he falls into the latter category.

RedDevil@84

Are there any reputable journalists saying Pogba is deliberately playing badly under Mourinho? I thought Pogba was our best player at the beginning of the season only for him to put in some stinkers like he does every season.
Even if true, it is very unlikely that he goes about telling people that he is under-performing because of Jose. That is a suicidal move.
So such news will always be speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.