Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

gza the genius

This was actually the most damning performance for Pogba, as it shows that he could have played a deeper role under Mourinho, and actually he wasn't putting the effort in at that time. After about 70 minutes, Neville noted that "he'd really put a shift in"; that sort of shift was conspicuous by its absence earlier in the season.

Many people on here then stated that the reason for this was that Mourinho had played him out of position, thereby not getting the best out of him. But we've seen in this game, when asked to play out of position by Solskjaer, the level of effort Pogba made was quite tangibly higher.

I would certainly agree that Mourinho managed him poorly, but it should always be incumbent on every professional footballer to try his hardest, particularly at the very highest level. It was already pretty obvious that Pogba wasn't doing this under Mourinho, but this is even more obvious after this game.

I'm sure this won't bother the people who make it their life mission to defend everything Paul Pogba does. There is no doubt that he's an excellent player, but the jury is certainly out on his attitude and maturity. Hopefully he has turned the corner in this regard now.
There's a difference between putting a shift in when the teams need you and having to do it week in week out. Pogba and Mourinho both handled the situation poorly but in the end I think given Pogba'd stats (and the team's) since Mourinho left it's pretty obvious who was right.

Djemba-Djemba

Ran his heart out today.

He was fantastic.

I think back to the game against Liverpool a few years ago when he gave away a daft penalty and generally seemed to have lost his head in the pressure of the game.

Today he was so mature and disciplined. He knew with all our injuries it was going to be a struggle today and he rose to the challenge.

Posh Red

This was actually the most damning performance for Pogba, as it shows that he could have played a deeper role under Mourinho, and actually he wasn't putting the effort in at that time. After about 70 minutes, Neville noted that "he'd really put a shift in"; that sort of shift was conspicuous by its absence earlier in the season.

Many people on here then stated that the reason for this was that Mourinho had played him out of position, thereby not getting the best out of him. But we've seen in this game, when asked to play out of position by Solskjaer, the level of effort Pogba made was quite tangibly higher.

I would certainly agree that Mourinho managed him poorly, but it should always be incumbent on every professional footballer to try his hardest, particularly at the very highest level. It was already pretty obvious that Pogba wasn't doing this under Mourinho, but this is even more obvious after this game.

I'm sure this won't bother the people who make it their life mission to defend everything Paul Pogba does. There is no doubt that he's an excellent player, but the jury is certainly out on his attitude and maturity. Hopefully he has turned the corner in this regard now.
Hard to criticise any one player for not working hard under Mourinho when every single one of them is now covering more ground. Some people just need to let this go to be honest and stop trying to blame individuals for what was clearly a negative working environment, which did not procure maximum returns from any of the players. Even the likes of Matic are running more and looking more dynamic. It was like a figurative disease running through the squad and thank Christ it’s gone now.

Out of interest, do you think Matic is an immature player with a bad attitude, seeing as he is now working harder than he was under Jose?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great defensive effort today but had little impact on the play going forward.

Doesn’t know where to stand or run and looks a bit lost at times.

Delighted with the effort he made today though just wish we could find a position that he knows how to play.
I think you will find he’s been playing very well in his actual position.

RedDevil@84

Didn't want to give the Dailymail a click, but they put some news that Neville has criticized Pogba. Is that true?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didn't want to give the Dailymail a click, but they put some news that Neville has criticized Pogba. Is that true?
I saw some quotes attributed to him on twitter, where he basically cast doubt on Pogba's future due to him thinking Raiola will be wanting him to move club.

meamth

Great defensive effort today but had little impact on the play going forward.

Doesn’t know where to stand or run and looks a bit lost at times.

Delighted with the effort he made today though just wish we could find a position that he knows how to play.
What the heck?

beergod

Mature performance. Things went sideways and Pogba put on his big boy pants and played as an actual midfielder. This is the exact type of performance he needs to put in when teams focus on nullifying him like PSG did in the CL.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Good performance, even better considering the position we ended up with because of injuries.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think you will find he’s been playing very well in his actual position.
Good opponents have noticed his appalling positional sense and know how to bypass him and render him ineffective. The pattern is there for all to see against top opponents.

The big difference between Pogba’s performance yesterday and what he might have done in the same scenario a few months ago is the huge effort he put in.

He might well solve his positional problems in time and then what a midfielder we will have. At the moment he is too easy for top teams to nullify.

rampo

:lol::lol: People still finding ways to damn him and protect Mourinho. He has put in many performances like today's under Mourinho.

Also, the reason Mourinho stayed longer than what he should have is because of Pogba and Martial - two players he was ever so willing to throw under the bus. But hey, let us forget all that and figure out ways to say something about Pogba

Also, like someone said before me, the difference between Ole and Mourinho is that Jose never tried to understand how Pogba can effectively contribute. When a manager gives you freedom to play to your strengths (like Ole is doing now), any player would be willing to temper that attitude and put what is best for the team in a specific game. It is not rocket science.

CherryBoy

Can't find it, but it was in the pre-game tunnel footage.
Can't find it, but it was in the pre-game tunnel footage.
I found it but I can't post the link because I don't have sufficient member privileges.

Go on YouTube and watch the video entitled: "Paul Pogba vs Liverpool (Home) 24/02/19 HD 1080p"

Its in the very first seconds of that video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Litch

:lol::lol: People still finding ways to damn him and protect Mourinho. He has put in many performances like today's under Mourinho.

Also, the reason Mourinho stayed longer than what he should have is because of Pogba and Martial - two players he was ever so willing to throw under the bus. But hey, let us forget all that and figure out ways to say something about Pogba

Also, like someone said before me, the difference between Ole and Mourinho is that Jose never tried to understand how Pogba can effectively contribute. When a manager gives you freedom to play to your strengths (like Ole is doing now), any player would be willing to temper that attitude and put what is best for the team in a specific game. It is not rocket science.
Spot on. We know the creative things he can do but showed he can do the ugly stuff as well yesterday.

haram

Pogba can do the defensive side, I just think the majority of the time he doesn’t want to do it. He understands how big the games against Liverpool are though and it showed.

Trizy

Showed a different side to his game today, closed down the space and put in some important tackles. Kept it simple too, did what was asked of him.
This.

4 months ago he would've walked around the field flapping his arms about. He obviously has these performances in his locker when needed but to be honest I don't blame him for not playing for a manager who called him a virus.

He could've dropped the head yesterday, in fact any of our players could because luck and odds were against them. But they were all fantastic, especially Pogba.

Trizy

I found it but I can't post the link because I don't have sufficient member privileges.

Go on YouTube and watch the video entitled: "Paul Pogba vs Liverpool (Home) 24/02/19 HD 1080p"

Absolutely nothing in that ffs :lol:

chb23

Hard to tell, but i think it could be he just said something to De Gea and was aiming for Klopp the whole time?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good opponents have noticed his appalling positional sense and know how to bypass him and render him ineffective. The pattern is there for all to see against top opponents.

The big difference between Pogba’s performance yesterday and what he might have done in the same scenario a few months ago is the huge effort he put in.

He might well solve his positional problems in time and then what a midfielder we will have. At the moment he is too easy for top teams to nullify.
What about the ‘good opponents’ he’s taken the piss out of in recent months? You are talking absolute nonsense I’m afraid. ‘Good teams will recognise his poor positional sense and bypass him’. He’s not a fecking centre half! What about when we have the ball, as we often do? What does his positioning have to do with anything then? Do teams ‘bypass’ David Silva due to his positioning?

You’re worse than Souness.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Its a rather simple explanation. De Gea and Pogba had already shaken hands and so that hand was always meant for Klopp. Pogba has an expressionless face when looking at De Gea, and only goes to smile when looking at Klopp.

Sylar

That game reminded me of him in the WC against belgium. Selfless performance and this was without Herrera, Matic next to him and without the likes of LIngard, Martial ahead of him (and a one legged Rashford). Could have easily strolled around but he didnt.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What about the ‘good opponents’ he’s taken the piss out of in recent months? You are talking absolute nonsense I’m afraid. ‘Good teams will recognise his poor positional sense and bypass him’. He’s not a fecking centre half! What about when we have the ball, as we often do? What does his positioning have to do with anything then? Do teams ‘bypass’ David Silva due to his positioning?

You’re worse than Souness.
If I understand you correctly, Pogba has been taking the piss against good teams recently. The only top drawer teams we’ve met since Ole took over were PSG and Liverpool. Both games largely passed him by, despite really commendable efforts on his part.

Also, you believe that positional sense has nothing to do with midfield play. This is patently wrong.

Pogba is a very talented lad who, so far in his United career has begun to completely overpower all but the very top teams. He is trying hard under the current manager with the result that even his poor performances are not that bad e.g. yesterday.

However, to me, he looks like a lad who is never sure where he should be on the pitch. I’ve been watching, playing and coaching football (at very low levels) for years and this issue with him is obvious to me. (This doesn’t happen to David Silva because he knows where he should be and has unbelievable positional awareness)

Then again, I could be wrong and it’s just my opinion.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
If I understand you correctly, Pogba has been taking the piss against good teams recently. The only top drawer teams we’ve met since Ole took over were PSG and Liverpool. Both games largely passed him by, despite really commendable efforts on his part.

Also, you believe that positional sense has nothing to do with midfield play. This is patently wrong.

Pogba is a very talented lad who, so far in his United career has begun to completely overpower all but the very top teams. He is trying hard under the current manager with the result that even his poor performances are not that bad e.g. yesterday.

However, to me, he looks like a lad who is never sure where he should be on the pitch. I’ve been watching, playing and coaching football (at very low levels) for years and this issue with him is obvious to me. (This doesn’t happen to David Silva because he knows where he should be and has unbelievable positional awareness)

No way :eek:

Jib

Tottenham.

End of the discussion :)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Neville:s comment was idiotic.
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more, it just seems totally unnecessary. What signs has Pogba given since Jose left ? Like any player he may or may not leave one day, but why chose that moment in time to make those comments ?

Neville made a big deal about people bringing negative headlines to the club. He seems obsessed with bringing Pogba into negative focus.

Pathetic that he's to proud to admit he might have been wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.