g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Paul Pogba image 6

Paul Pogba France flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedorDead21

Pogba will never be that player consistently. That's not his game. He is a player that gets better with more touches and so will tend to struggle when the team is not using the ball well.

Get better players around him and Pogba will go up a level. Matic and Herrera are just workers. Ashley Young and whoever is right winger for the day will almost always lose the ball.

Watching the best teams in Europe and comparing it to the way we play, there is a darth in quality and personality. Juventus, Barca and City can play themselves out of basically anything, they are not afraid to play the risky pass that will beat the press if it comes off and have them going up the pitch.

Pogba is constantly taking risks and trying difficult things which generally work. He has the technique and personality to play at the highest level.
Fans move from either saying "not hard to stand out in that team" to "get better players and they'll be better".......we need our best players to perform, Pogs is not surrounded by dross. The fact they've done nothing but perform as a unit for the past few months shows that. Pogs is not yet the consistent player we need, maybe never will be. Call it how it is instead of making up excuses for a man who was so below his standard it's unfair to his quality to remark anything else!

el3mel

You're doing more than that. He already had performances where he dug deep to help us get a result. It feels like you're just using this as an excuse to badmouth him.

People on here are strange. People do know it's possible for great players to have bad performances right?
You forget to mention I have an agenda against him.

I don't remember any example when we were playing pretty poor all around and he came with a moment of brilliance to save the match and the result. There are games when the whole team stepped up during the game and Pogba with them, but to be poor the entire game and Pogba saving us, and be the only player playing well, yeah don't remember.

His performance is following the team, when they step up, he steps up and when they are poor he's poor.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fans move from either saying "not hard to stand out in that team" to "get better players and they'll be better".......we need our best players to perform, Pogs is not surrounded by dross. The fact they've done nothing but perform as a unit for the past few months shows that. Pogs is not yet the consistent player we need, maybe never will be. Call it how it is instead of making up excuses for a man who was so below his standard it's unfair to his quality to remark anything else!
There was not a single excuse in that. It's simple fact that Pogba struggles to play when he does not see the ball. And not once did I say that he was surrounded by dross. When our team looks completely inept you can be confident that Pogba is one of them. He's done these types of performances several times already (Spurs, Newcastle, West Brom last season as examples).

What I am saying is consistent with what I've said for 2 years. Pogba is a luxury player. He plays based on the state of the team. The higher your average level as a team the higher the average level of Pogba is. This is why I said I did not mind whether he stayed or got sold because he is a very difficult player to fit into a team.

Stacks

He wouldnt get into the Liverpool team because Klopp demands quick good passing and pressing football.
Everything that is complety alien to Pogba who likes to fanny around with the ball either missing the opportunity for the killer pass or even worse losing the ball to the opposition in dangerous areas, something that he is rather consistent at doing.
Trolling? No seeing things for what they are, yes.
I am sure Klopp would like a midfielder who can contribute 20 goals per season over "pressers'. Good quick passers? Like Hendo? Wignaldum? Milner? Their passing should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Theirs is average to say the least. Gotta be a Liverpool fan

Cliche Guevara

That was a shite game from Pogba. Too wide in the first half and not making space for himself in the second.

Nobody else could be blamed for the times he got caught in possession or wasted a pass.

Granted he could be excused for not having a World Class evening, or not being a match-winner, but we have to expect better than that.

It seems he just plays his usual game, regardless, as opposed to mixing it up and overcoming specific barriers the opposition put in his way.

Melville Red

I am sure Klopp would like a midfielder who can contribute 20 goals per season over "pressers'. Good quick passers? Like Hendo? Wignaldum? Milner? Their passing should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Theirs is average to say the least. Gotta be a Liverpool fan
No, I’m just looking at the league table and that doesn’t lie.
I think we have fallen so far that some people on here actually think that Pogba is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Here’s news for you, he isn’t, he’s part of the problem.

Hammondo

He's the icing on the top. His core midfield work isn't good, if other players do it for him then he shines. He's closer to van AM in this sense.

Last edited:

RedorDead21

No, I’m just looking at the league table and that doesn’t lie.
I think we have fallen so far that some people on here actually think that Pogba is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Here’s news for you, he isn’t, he’s part of the problem.
No he's a world class talent who cannot be relied upon week in week out. We lose more often than not when he throws in a stinker. We need to ensure we have others capable of turning games and not just him. In time he may become a consistent force for us who knows.

Smores

Is it just me or is he definitely back to playing deeper? In Ole's first few games he was basically a No 10 causing chaos in the box now he's back in that midfield role. If that's the direction how long before he kicks up a fuss again?

Trizy

Is it just me or is he definitely back to playing deeper? In Ole's first few games he was basically a No 10 causing chaos in the box now he's back in that midfield role. If that's the direction how long before he kicks up a fuss again?
Seems he's more left sided than in the middle. Such a waste.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Half the team has been injured though. Granted plenty were back at the weekend. Hopefully we go back to what we were doing before.

Stacks

No he's a world class talent who cannot be relied upon week in week out. We lose more often than not when he throws in a stinker. We need to ensure we have others capable of turning games and not just him. In time he may become a consistent force for us who knows.
I wouldn't say he is world class because of his bottom level and consistency obstacles. Has world class talent but not quite the application. WC is Ronaldinho. That said, the poster above has issues. To suggest a player of Paul's undeniable quality and contribution is part of the problem is straight nuts. What we need is to buy more players of this quality to assist him.

Ashley R1+O

Why would Klop sign Pogba, it wouldn't make sense. He can't get regular run of the mill pressing right, let alone the 'counter-press' style that requires 100% attention at all times. Great player who should just play the "somewhere up there" free role, but delusional to think you can give Pogba any kind of nuanced structured role based around defensive fundamentals and expect him to achieve it. Would be a waste of time trying.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why would Klop sign Pogba, it wouldn't make sense. He can't get regular run of the mill pressing right, let alone the 'counter-press' style that requires 100% attention at all times. Great player who should just play the "somewhere up there" free role, but delusional to think you can give Pogba any kind of nuanced structured role based around defensive fundamentals and expect him to achieve it. Would be a waste of time trying.
Yeah, Pogba who had no problem for playing under coaches like Conte, Allegri, Deschamps who are very tactical in their set up but he will struggle playing for Klopp :houllier:

Liverpool don't even press like lunatics, like they used to do before.

Stacks

like in the World Cup???

Twingatz

I think Pogba works excellently as a #10. I also do think you will struggle to get results if you play him too deep but he can play that position in a pinch. I think with Physically dominant and technically good midfielders behind him he can be great.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It also has to be noted that he will likely be more consistent when he's not being relied on to do most of the playmaking and creative work all by himself. Get someone else in there who can share that load and it makes it much easier for both of them.

The majority of the top teams over the last 20 years or so have had at least two midfielders in there sharing the duties of controlling the team around. Just looking at ourselves we had Keane and Scholes and then Scholes and Carrick during our best two periods. Yet we've been expecting Pogba to do it all by himself since he's been here.

Sylar

International break

Any controversial comments from him yet about leaving In future maybe but who knows? :wenger:

zenith

He wouldnt get into the Liverpool team because Klopp demands quick good passing and pressing football.
Everything that is complety alien to Pogba who likes to fanny around with the ball either missing the opportunity for the killer pass or even worse losing the ball to the opposition in dangerous areas, something that he is rather consistent at doing.
Trolling? No seeing things for what they are, yes.
What a load of rubbish

I mean there is trolling and then there is this. Without him our midfield is completely devoid of creativity and his performances are a major reason why we are in contention for the top four.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground

It really does annoy me that for such a big club we are the only ones who seem to struggle with this jizzing over Madrid thing. City players for example never ever do this. We should be immune from this nonsense but we’ve never been able to stop it.

youmeletsfly

It really does annoy me that for such a big club we are the only ones who seem to struggle with this jizzing over Madrid thing. City players for example never ever do this. We should be immune from this nonsense but we’ve never been able to stop it.
City are winning stuff and have Pep while we are still starting Mike Smalling at the back.

I hate them as a club, but in sporting terms they are two classes on top of us, that is why their players don't do that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
City are winning stuff and have Pep while we are still starting Mike Smalling at the back.

I hate them as a club, but in sporting terms they are two classes on top of us, that is why their players don't do that.
Right now yes but even before Pep there has literally never been a peep from their best players about leaving, when let’s face it, they’re at a small club. Ronaldo was wanting to leave us when we were the best side in Europe. It’s just very frustrating.

AgentP

Pogba always says stuff like this. It should not really come as a surprise. But he is our player and it will require a gigantic bid to take him from us. So let's just get on with it. My belief has returned since Ole came back and I'm sure we'll manage with or without Pogba.

Shark

@NotShark

It's difficult to disagree with that. Ole has brought some feel good factor back to the club but we've still mountains of work to do before we can even think of challenging for the title. Until we're at that point, Madrid can come knocking.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This is what you get when your player is the biggest client of a super agent. If we dither in the market again he won't sign a new contract and will be off eventually. He already planned an exit route but didn't have to use it because we sacked the manager.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

So he's not really here for love then?

cyberman

He doesn't say he's leaving tomorrow! Looks like a contract ploy to me to be honest.
He could be behind DDG and Sanchez in the wage structure very soon so it makes sense but who knows? I can see him moving to Spain in 3 odd years regardless.

Didn't he flirt with Barca all summer? I take all of this with a grain of salt. We backed him over Jose ffs, he was at the centre of a lot of turmoil at this club for him to be talking like this.

youmeletsfly

He doesn't say he's leaving tomorrow! Looks like a contract ploy to me to be honest.
He could be behind DDG and Sanchez in the wage structure very soon so it makes sense but who knows? I can see him moving to Spain in 3 odd years regardless.
In 3 years he's almost thirty and will have a huge salary. Let's say he's on 15/20 mil a season, no club in Spain is stupid enough or rich enough to pay him that amount when he's almost 30.

This is generally my feeling too.

Yes,we're a big club but we dont look like competing for the major honours anytime soon.Could take 2,3 transfer windows for us to get there IF we finally have a player acquisitions strategy in place (flashbacks of LVG alluding too the very same thing 3 seasons back.)

That's why if Pogba were to leave ,though I'd clearly be gutted to see another major star leaving Old Trafford I would also accept the pov he's coming from.
Pogba would be wise to take a look at DDG and think 'is sticking around here really going to be such a wise choice ?'
I think DDG is thinking that very same thing now more than ever.

Bwuk

Let's be honest - Pogba should be playing at one of the top sides in the world.

We haven't been at that level for a while. Theres no guarantee we'll even be in the Champions League next season.

cyberman

In 3 years he's almost thirty and will have a huge salary. Let's say he's on 15/20 mil a season, no club in Spain is stupid enough or rich enough to pay him that amount when he's almost 30.
Well it'll have to do if they want him or not.

look at rest of his comments

Where I am now, I'm happy, I'm happy in Manchester, I'm playing, we have a new coach. So for now I'm at Manchester. After, you don't know what will happen in the future, but today I'm at Manchester and I'm happy".
Doesn't look half as bad in context.

el3mel

Looks like he's at it again. Hazard esque comments. It's like all of them just want Madrid to come for them at one point by any means and don't want to close the door.

Jim Reaper

I see they left out the quote just after which was 'im happy at manchester united'.

Madrid is a dream club for most footballers, playing alongside great talent in a hot country with one of the biggest teams in the world. The history etc.

Zidane makes it even more attractive at the moment.

Paul is right. Problem is, He is under contract with Manchester United and is happy here. He was talking up Ole and saying how much he he deserves the job and how good their relationship is.

He is going nowhere yet, imo. Even of he did, it would be on our terms.

Frank Grimes

I know he says he's happy at United but there was no need for him to talk up Madrid imo. He did it for a reason as he has done in the past and it makes him very hard to like for that reason.

Most of this depends on 1) Giving Ole the full-time job and 2) actually back him in the summer transfer window with incomings and outgoings.

If we have a underwhelming transfer window,which I wouldn't be surprised about, and the other major clubs in Europe flex their transfer muscle then its only logical for Pogba to question the ambition of the club and internally his future at the club.
Raiola would in-turn be licking his lips if the later events were to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.