Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I genuinely don’t know how you can watch that game tonight and come to the conclusion that he didn’t ‘try’. Sorry, it’s absolute bollocks and it goes for the past few weeks too. At that level, with the amount of sport science and stat tracking if a player wasn’t ‘trying’ then the coaching team would know.
Do you really think the monitoring is that great? Are we just assuming that because we're a top club with loads of money? If it were true why has the entire team been unfit for the last 2 years?

I don't agree that he didn't try for what it's worth.

Silas

I genuinely don’t know how you can watch that game tonight and come to the conclusion that he didn’t ‘try’. Sorry, it’s absolute bollocks and it goes for the past few weeks too. At that level, with the amount of sport science and stat tracking if a player wasn’t ‘trying’ then the coaching team would know.
People see what the want to see. The moment they catch Pogba jogging, they make up their minds on the entire game.

MadMike

Yes, we need an entire new first team squad. It will take 2 to 3 years to put together. It’s going to be extremely painful. But Pogba can’t be part of the plan, he’s no good.
How about we start with replacing those that are either going anyway (Herrera) or are irredeemably shit (Matic) before we get to the player that has an ounce of quality in this team?

El Jefe

We need two mids without him going though. So 3 if he goes then. Add that to the whole other team we need......
I'd say we need 2 CMs and 1 attacking midfielder.

We need to destroy and rebuild and the potential £100m+ we get from Pogba will go a long way towards mobilising the rebuild.

MadMike

People see what the want to see. The moment they catch Pogba jogging, they make up their minds on the entire game.
They lose their shit. Unless Pogba plays a Messi game and carries the team, he’s utter shit. There’s no middle ground with some people

RedDevil5

Luxury player. Look at what Liverpool do without any world class midfielders (although Fabinho might be on his way).

We need a better team. I'd sell this guy and get the money you can and build a better all around team.

Baxter

So you were happy with his effort tonight, strolling around the pitch while City players ran past him on the counter attack? Seriously?
He’s not great defensively, but he’s the link in midfield. If the ball turns over it’s going to look worse for him because he’s wrong side. There’s nowhere near as much criticism for Fred diving into tackles and taking himself out the game. Like he did numerous times tonight and Barca. To say Pogba didn’t try is garbage.

Do you really think the monitoring is that great? Are we just assuming that because we're a top club with loads of money? If it were true why has the entire team been unfit for the last 2 years?

I don't agree that he didn't try for what it's worth.
I do. I think we’ve got a major problem having had a team built to sit off more, stay compact and try and counter under Jose to quickly trying to change to being a bit more proactive. It’s no surprise when I hear Ole basically dying for a pre-season.

It’s impossible to be sprinting up the pitch, and sprinting back on transition every time. There’s two other midfielders who look were playing and they seem to get of free for their negligence in defence.

You can’t expect him to score 20, assist 20 and also play like Fernandinho to. Totally unrealistic and paired next to two players totally out of their depth just exposed this more.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I do. I think we’ve got a major problem having had a team built to sit off more, stay compact and try and counter under Jose to quickly trying to change to being a bit more proactive. It’s no surprise when I hear Ole basically dying for a pre-season.
Perhaps so. I don't believe we monitor every single inch of a player and every step they take like I maybe once would've expected at a club like ours. That's a discussion for another day though.

Loublaze

ATLien
They lose their shit. Unless Pogba plays a Messi game and carries the team, he’s utter shit. There’s no middle ground with some people
An idiot on FB actually posted about how Pogba should be performing week in week out like Messi or Ronaldo because of his transfer fee. This world I tell ya

Baxter

Luxury player. Look at what Liverpool do without any world class midfielders (although Fabinho might be on his way).

We need a better team. I'd sell this guy and get the money you can and build a better all around team.
Liverpool have two, if not three of the best forwards in the league. Much more room for a workmanlike midfield. Klopp’s system is tailor made for them, Ole’s is not. To be expected with the amount of windows Klopp has had.

Eddy_JukeZ

An indifferent performance.

He has his flaws and I've been critical of him, but I really think some fans and the media expect things from him that's not possible.

laughtersassassin

I'd say we need 2 CMs and 1 attacking midfielder.

We need to destroy and rebuild and the potential £100m+ we get from Pogba will go a long way towards mobilising the rebuild.
It won't though. Ole said he won't buy 6 players. So having the money will do us no good when we have other positions just as important....

The Nani

An indifferent performance.

He has his flaws and I've been critical of him, but I really think some fans and the media expect things from him that's not possible.
I've been one of his biggest supporters, but it's ridiculous to keep makes excuses for him.

Is it really too much to expect our supposed talisman to put in a proper shift in a derby match?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

But he's the virus!!
This is fantastic, because influenza is obviously Italian for both ‘influence’ and the ‘flu’, i.e. a virus. I’d love to know if it was a deliberate pun.

Eddy_JukeZ

I've been one of his biggest supporters, but it's ridiculous to keep makes excuses for him.

Is it really too much to ask our supposed talisman to put in a proper shift in a derby match?
What are the distance covered stats for the match?

I don't think he put in a 'shift' but I wouldn't say he barely ran.

El Jefe

It won't though. Ole said he won't buy 6 players. So having the money will do us no good when we have other positions just as important....
I don't buy that tbh. There's no way we don't sign 6 or 5 at the very minimum.

A CB, RB, 2 CMs and 2 forwards are a must and that's without Pogba or DDG leaving. There will be many players sold or have their contracts expired so we'll be leaving ourselves very light if we aren't making up to six signings.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Is it really too much to expect our supposed talisman to put in a proper shift in a derby match?
The worst thing you can really do against City is have one person try and be Roy of the Rovers as they will just pass it around you. You either all press or you keep your shape.

RedDevilRoshi

Got out jumped by Raheem Sterling tonight for a header which is crazy considering the height difference.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He doesn't have a midfield to support him. He doesn't have a forward who will score his passes. He doesn't play with a defence who will cover him if he loses the ball. Yet people complain, he wants to leave !

He has another gear in his play and we will get to see that with Real.

Baxter

I don't buy that tbh. There's no way we don't sign 6 or 5 at the very minimum.

A CB, RB, 2 CMs and 2 forwards are a must and that's without Pogba or DDG leaving. There will be many players sold or have their contracts expired so we'll be leaving ourselves very light if we aren't making up to six signings.
We’ll do well to get 4 in my opinion. And it’s nowhere hear enough.

RooneyLegend

They have a forward line that handles everything going forward, do you think we have the same?

The Nani

The worst thing you can really do against City is have one person try and be Roy of the Rovers as they will just pass it around you. You either all press or you keep your shape.
We did press tonight. And we had City on the back foot for large portions of the match.

Yet he did nothing aside from one long ball over the top.

And his defensive workrate was nonexistent.

RooneyLegend

How he gets blamed despite being the only outfield player in the team with any semblance of real quality is beyond me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I don’t believe you for a second.

Pogba plays no differently to the other 2 years he’s been with us. It’s amazing how all of a sudden this year he’s become public enemy number 1 after a certain J Mourinho has weaved his magic :smirk:

He worked as hard as he could tonight, I truly believe that.

You say he did nothing, but he still created more than Fred or pereira, how else would we score?

He played some beautiful passes for both Rashford and Lingard. It’s hard to dominate games when your team mates just want to lump the ball away or run away up the field

Patrick08

Do you spot the difference?
Play him at 10 or expect mediocre to average performances with him. He may improve his assists colums with a better striker, but I can see our midfield being dominated over and over again even with better players around him in high profile matches.

paulscholes18

He doesn't have a midfield to support him. He doesn't have a forward who will score his passes. He doesn't play with a defence who will cover him if he loses the ball. Yet people complain, he wants to leave !

He has another gear in his play and we will get to see that with Real.
True, at Juve and with France he had/ has players around him who are at a similar level to him
At Juve he had Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio, Tevez, Dybala
France Mpabbe, Griezmann, Kante

But at United it’s Herrera, McTominay, Lingard, Rashford, it’s way off the levels required to get the best from him

Woodenlung

He's our best player by miles. Creates the only half chances we get in a game. If hate to think what we'll be like when he leaves. His attitude stinks sometimes, but I think I'd sulk too with the absolute shit he plays with.

If he does go we won't find a like for like replacement. We're better off building from the back to front. Just make us a cnut of a side to break down before adding the bells and whistles up front.

The Nani

I don’t believe you for a second.

Pogba plays no differently to the other 2 years he’s been with us. It’s amazing how all of a sudden this year he’s become public enemy number 1 after a certain J Mourinho has weaved his magic :smirk:

He worked as hard as he could tonight, I truly believe that.

You say he did nothing, but he still created more than Fred or pereira, how else would we score?

He played some beautiful passes for both Rashford and Lingard. It’s hard to dominate games when your team mates just want to lump the ball away or run away up the field
I’m glad Jose’s gone and never bought into his nonsense. I even defended Pogba after the Everton match. What was he supposed to do in the midst of such an abject team performance?

But today was different. The team was arsed and played much better yet he was a total passenger. Gave the ball away needlessly and didn’t do his part defensively at all.

Keane said before the match that Pogba plays for himself and he went out and proved Keane right today.

Posh Red

It's going to be sad when he joins a well functioning team and shows what he can really do. I'm sure all of his detractors will come out and say that he wasn't trying hard enough whilst he was here, but the truth is there isn't the platform here for us to see what he can really do. Only time will tell I guess.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I do wonder how Pogba would do in a Pep team or a Klopp team. Would he even get in? Their midfielders press a lot and makes sure they are first to the ball most times. Pogba is a reactive player. He sees a run then runs, he doesn't know how to predict and read the game. He has unbelievable vision, accuracy and technical finesse, but all other parts needs major work for him to work in anything other than the perfect team. Him not reading the game explains his lack of success in pressing and why some say he does try and other says he doesn't. He does, but he isn't doing it right, he is always too late. You can't be too late the majority of times if you play for City or Liverpool, so either our expectations have been lowered or he just isn't the right fit for us or those top teams. I think he might fit in well at PSG, where he'll dominate and attack in every game and can get away with flashes of brilliance and a few big moments in the CL for them. He'll not lose anything in terms of his image that way. If he stays here any longer or moves to Barcelona or Madrid he might be exposed and his image will take a huge knock, if he doesn't improve heavily in a few basic areas.

Frank Grimes

The last thing we need next season is constant speculation about his future. This is the main reason I think the wise decision would be to accept an offer of 140m or over for him. He is our best player but our team and him are not the right fit and we can both do better, him if he leaves for a better team and us if we get a new midfield that can have creativity but also more steel and mobility.

Pogba's passing is world class but his off the ball effort is poor and he is too easily defended against by decent teams who target him as they know he dwells on the ball too much. Best for all concerned if it is done now at the start of a massive rebuilding process than a year from now.

Loublaze

ATLien

Replace him with? I don't believe any world class player can actually be a luxury, its rather a failure on the part of a manager to find a system that fits best. What club wouldn't do with a player like Pogba? We don't have any other world class outfield players either. You could maybe argue he could be a luxury at Real Madrid where the quality is spread out in their squad, but still he'd still add something.

Status
Not open for further replies.