Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get In Scholesy

The only player in our squad that frightens the opposition when he’s on the ball. Has them second guessing and puts them on the back foot.

Everyone else it seems like opposition players fancy themselves against.

We need more players like him

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Voted him motm today. Been excellent for the most part this season, actually performing consistently. Yes he has his lapses in concentration and his weaknesses, but there's a world of difference in him this season and him in his first 2 here. Hopefully we keep hold of him after this season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
2nd half was top notch, shouting at teammates, pointing out positions, so so good.

1st half he was quite dogshit and the result of that was the whole team being dogshit. We still depend too much on him at times.
This is like the whole team, it's crazy. Poor first half and very good 2nd half

youmeletsfly

This is like the whole team, it's crazy. Poor first half and very good 2nd half
Maybe they re going too relaxed into games? Or the opposing team goes too ham in the 1st 20 minutes and our players haven t got a clue how to react?

It s a very strange one.

SER19

Been so good lately. This is the player we know he can be and get even better. Long may it continue

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Maybe they re going too relaxed into games? Or the opposing team goes too ham in the 1st 20 minutes and our players haven t got a clue how to react?

It s a very strange one.
I think it's down to the way we set up. Jose wants us to sit off and hold a deep line to protect the back four. He likes to concede possession. It doesn't work but he can't see past it. Only when we have to play are we actually effective and the whole team benefits.

3KDré

10 goals and assists this season from 14 appearances isn't half bad for a midfielder.

Fergietime@99

10 goals and assists this season from 14 appearances isn't half bad for a midfielder.
to put this in perspective 'The Best' Luka Modric has managed this once in his career. Granted he did not take penalties.

youmeletsfly

I think it's down to the way we set up. Jose wants us to sit off and hold a deep line to protect the back four. He likes to concede possession. It doesn't work but he can't see past it. Only when we have to play are we actually effective and the whole team benefits.
It's not a dig at you, but I can't wrap my head around the idea of liking to concede possession in a football game, especially at the start of it.

I think he starts games just by "playing it safe" and instructing our CM's to stay deep and to not press the opposition (to avoid silly early game mistakes).
It's something similar to what you've said but not exactly "conceding possession", just playing it safe.

PLaying it safe in the early game and not having your midfield press will force you to lose the midfield and the whole game control along with it. I mean it's fecking stupid that 10 mins in at the start of each game Matic plays almost as the 3rd CB(while being a shi7 player for 8-9 months now but hey).

We can sum it up as being a "negative and safe approach to start games with". But it's obvious that it limits our team's potential and players don't like it.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

It s a very strange one.
Often an inferior team is better at closing down space and harassing the opponent in the first half, but starts to tire more and more during the second. The superior team may look better then as a consequence. It's perhaps only margins, but I guess they make a difference in today's football.

No idea if that was the case today though (haven't seen the game), but that pattern sounds familiar.

MadMike

He's been in terrific form recently. Really pleased with how he's playing right now

lex talionis

Paul Pogba is a beast of a midfielder who sensational today in the second half. MOTM for me.

Yet he's still only playing in his second gear for 60 of the 90 minutes. The problem appears to be that our other midfielders, at least certain Matic, have been poor this season and he's having to worry about things he's just not wired to worry about.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where's all the haters that says he doesn't defend? He ran the whole length of the pitch chasing Fraser their winger the first half and won a tackle.

Stick that down your pipes.

Steven7290

The only player in our squad that frightens the opposition when he’s on the ball. Has them second guessing and puts them on the back foot.

All true, only at times he also has his teammates second guessing as well.

For all the frustration that he causes, I cannot name one player who I can say is better than him ability wise, none.

STYLOISRED

“A team is in a certain day better than the sum of the parts - that's possible in football. But the parts are amazing and their relation with the ball is amazing at Barcelona and Real Madrid.
“You can argue about occupation of spaces and speak about all of that, but the relation with the ball is still the most important thing.
“And as an opponent on the bench, like I am, it is beautiful to see their relation with the ball but one of my players today - Paul Pogba - showed the level and he belongs to that level.” -Jose Mourinho, 2017.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

You couldn't be anymore wrong.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
All true, only at times he also has his teammates second guessing as well.

For all the frustration that he causes, I cannot name one player who I can say is better than him ability wise, none.
In our team I hope because there are a few in other teams who have more ability than him

haram

Wasn’t in the game enough but came up with that vital cross.

Ashley R1+O

So we played him as a LM/LAM in the second half, with Matic and Herrera behind him and he bossed it. Goes past players with ease and came up with such an important assist in the end.
Essentially more fodder for my argument that if you move him away from the areas in which he has to be an 'all-round' player then you get the best out of him. CB, LAM/LF, up there in the attack somewhere....

That first half performance was an absolute shoggoth. Jogging about, getting played around for fun by Cook and Francis. Yikes. Worked hard in the second half and pushed up into the left side of their defense and broke through in the end with the goods. The shot of confidence from this win is all that matters because we've been working hard at various times with no reward this season.

It still leaves me asking "what are you saving your energy in the first half for?" is he really that under-conditioned that he can only turn in a 20-25minute high intensity performance per game? That is a worry.

Park him behind the front man or up on the left and we're golden.

edit: Actually there are some pretty high profile fixtures coming up so that could be it.

Red00012

Alright. Seen any passion by for the club by any other players or is it just Pogba at fault again?
I’m a fan of pogba but he’s still a player playing in 3rd gear sometimes.People on here voting him man of the match? Playing for half an hour doesn’t make you the best player on the park he hardly got on the ball in the 1st half.
I voted David De Gea man of the match because he deserved it over the 90mins , Sanchez was decent enough as well albeit a lot of it was his movement off the ball.

NinjaFletch

Essentially more fodder for my argument that if you move him away from the areas in which he has to be an 'all-round' player then you get the best out of him. CB, LAM/LF, up there in the attack somewhere....

That first half performance was an absolute shoggoth. Jogging about, getting played around for fun by Cook and Francis. Yikes. Worked hard in the second half and pushed up into the left side of their defense and broke through in the end with the goods. The shot of confidence from this win is all that matters because we've been working hard at various times with no reward this season.

It still leaves me asking "what are you saving your energy in the first half for?" is he really that under-conditioned that he can only turn in a 20-25minute high intensity performance per game? That is a worry.

edit: Actually there are some pretty high profile fixtures coming up so that could be it.
That's not really an argument that stacks up though because we've tried almost every single one of those. We tried playing him further forward, he was inconsistent and patchy, we've tried playing him in a two, he was inconsistent and patchy, we've tried playing him in a three and he was inconsistent and patchy.

There's no magic bullet formation tweak that's going to get consistent performances out of him; it's simply down to him.

And, for what it's worth, I think we have seen some evidence of a step forward on that front this year.

deafepl

Pogba has been playing so well this season, it's shame we had a rough start, if we still played so well, in a race for the title so everyone can see he would be one of best midfielder in the league right now.

Martial, Pogba and Shaw have been our best player.

RedStarUnited

Id blame him for starting slow of the rest of the team started well. We are just slow starters.

The issue with playing him so high is we then dont have someone to move the ball up to him effectively.

ZenMaster Coltrane

I’m a fan of Pogba but he’s still a player playing in 3rd gear sometimes.People on here voting him man of the match? Playing for half an hour doesn’t make you the best player on the park he hardly got on the ball in the 1st half.
I voted David De Gea man of the match because he deserved it over the 90mins , Sanchez was decent enough as well albeit a lot of it was his movement off the ball.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius."

Status
Not open for further replies.