Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko21

Honestly, I think he needs to take the captains armband for next season.
Too soon for that.

Not exactly a good look for the captain to be putting in half-arsed displays. Until he demonstrates with United that he's past that, he can be considered captain material.

Canagel

Really?

Now this I do agree with. If you honestly think he’s been no better in the WC there’s no point in pursuing it, but I believe he has been and wonder why. As you say, it’s not the role. If it’s his mental attitude, why is it so poor at United? Are France’s players really that much better than United’s? Does he simply not like Jose and finds it hard to motivate himself playing for him? Does he need a greater degree of direction and instruction than he gets at United? I have no idea.
Its neither the role nor the mental attitude but the quality of the players. Better defenders behind him, better attackers in front. There's no difference between Mourinho and Deschamps approaches. Both are defensive. United and France are both defensive minded teams. Difference is personnel. France have more quality players. If Mourinho was France manager Pogba would still have played like this. If Deschamps was United manager there would've been no difference in Pogba last season.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
It's VERY telling that Pogba was brilliant playing in a deeper, disciplined MC/DMC role:

I hope this World Cup shows how ideal Pogba is for that position.

Then only time Pogba has produced top class numbers is in Serie A. His numbers dropped in the CL for Juve. And judging by his performances for both United and France, Attacking Midfield is not where you get the best out of him at the top level.

Let's stop trying to 'free' him. Instead, he should be our dominant midfield presence whose main role should be to free up the players ahead of him. Whatever teambuilding we do this Summer should be focused on that.
I agree that should be the take away from this World Cup with regards to Pogba. I even suspect Mourinho knows it. Let's hope Pogba realises it, too.

Magnificent player, and so cool to see one of our own take the reins in a World Cup final the way he did tonight.

Silas

So happy for him.
I feel like his passing in particular is fairly underrated.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
Really delighted for him. He played a great tournament and was one of the best players of the World Cup for sure. In the past he had also a lot of such great performances for Man Utd, but the huge difference was the consistency he showed throughout this whole tournament.

I think the main difference is that he did the simple things right and mixed it with moments of brilliancy at the right time. At Man Utd he always try the difficult thing, always one more trick, one more flick, always looking for the brilliant moment. But when you always try the difficult things, it is much harder to perform well and you really need to have a good day to get these difficult things right. On the contrary, when someone with Pogba´s talent relies on the simple things, makes the simple passes, has positional discipline and just occasionally goes for the special moment, he will always put in at least a decent performance.

So I hope he will keep this mindset also next season at Man Utd. I don´t know why he played differently fore the club quite often in the last seasons. Maybe he wanted to justify the price tag and felt the pressure from being the star player of the team with people like Paul Scholes calling him out for every bad performance talking about him costing so much and making so much money. Maybe he also feels more comfortable when he can rely at other fantastic players like Griezmann or Mbappe whereas at Man Utd he has the feeling he needs to do more on his own. Anyway, he should just neglect that and keep doing like in the World Cup. Also, I hope he will stay injury-free as I had the feeling he got injured last season when he was on really good form.

I also just hope his great performances will put this "he cannot play in a deeper role"-nonsense to an end.

Deleted member 101472

Too soon for that.

Not exactly a good look for the captain to be putting in half-arsed displays. Until he demonstrates with United that he's past that, he can be considered captain material.
Our current captain can’t speak English and doesn’t exactly leave everything out there.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The best part is that Kante was subbed off at 53mins after being given a run around by the Croatian midfield. Pogba was imperious throughout.

Deserves to be in the Worldcup XI IMO.

Jojo <3 Mou

I am happy for him. I hope that he brings back the same attitude, perseverance and discipline back to Manchester. He's a very talented player but his attitude is what will separate him from the rest.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Quite astonishing how all his ex-teammates seem to like him despite his supposedly awful attitude and dabbing.

It most certainly isn't. De Bruyne can land it on a sixpence.

To paraphrase Sven - one half good, one half not so good. As Klinsmann said he had to fight his way into the game. Kudos to Deschamps for putting N'zonzi on. Kante went full Forrest Gump today and left Pogba badly exposed. Ultimately no one remembers how well you play in a final as long as the team wins or you have a big moment and he did.
Good point about N'Zonzi. He was really calm and collected, nicked the ball many times without making fouls.

Scored what is likely to be the winner in a world cup final. His ego will now likely to large enough to collapse into a black hole, thus ending civilization.
I don't think his ego is all that. He looked like he was playing scared for the first half, passing safe like he was scared of losing the ball. It was only once Nzonzi came on and he scored that he really started to play his own game.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He did great after Kante sub, before it wasn't so good imo.

I just wish he could put it more constantly, throughout 90 minutes and through the whole season.

jeff_goldblum

Quietly one of the players on the tournament, his performance against Belgium had it all against top opposition

Suedesi

His performance is a bit overrated here. He (and France) were a bit under the kosh for most of the match until he scored the third. Magnificent goal though, that gave the French some much needed serenity, because Croatia were dominating the middle of the park

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His performance is a bit overrated here. He (and France) were a bit under the kosh for most of the match until he scored the third. Magnificent goal though, that gave the French some much needed serenity, because Croatia were dominating the middle of the park
Agreed, he has been very good during the tournament but he was out of his depth during the first half like Kanté and Matuidi. The pass before the goal and the goal itself, started his good spell.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Did any one see his video trolling England fans for " IT'S COMING HOME " Thing?
Yeah. Didn't like it all.

He plays in England and has a number of English teammates in his squad. No need to be classless towards them, why start mocking when you've just won the world cup? It's no big deal but I really didn't see the need for it. I certainly wouldn't be too happy if I was Lingard, Stones, Rashford or Jones seeing that video, having just suffered a massive loss your teammate is rubbing it in after winning the trophy? Doesn't really seem right.

meamth

Everyone is trolling it, including Cantona. Nevermind it really.

That goal though, right foot, left foot, BOOM! Goal.

Can't wait to see him in our shirt again.

IrishRedDevil

Yes, fair play to him. The media in England constantly give him a hard time, so he can take a jab back, especially after playing such a good tournament and scoring in the final. The ‘It’s coming home’ was a rather pathetic thing anyway, which everyone backtracked with when England got beat.

He plays in England and has a number of English teammates in his squad. No need to be classless towards them, why start mocking when you've just won the world cup? It's no big deal but I really didn't see the need for it. I certainly wouldn't be too happy if I was Lingard, Stones, Rashford or Jones seeing that video, having just suffered a massive loss your teammate is rubbing it in after winning the trophy? Doesn't really seem right.
Dry your eyes, you big girls blouse. They are grown men and they couldn’t give a crap. They know Pogba is a better player than them all anyway. England players got beat by their own doings and he wasn’t making fun of them, he was making fun of the pathetic statement that was pushed down everyone’s throat.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes, fair play to him. The media in England constantly give him a hard time, so he can take a jab back, especially after playing such a good tournament and scoring in the final. The ‘It’s coming home’ was a rather pathetic thing anyway, which everyone backtracked with when England got beat.

Dry your eyes you big girls blouse. They are grown men and they couldn’t give a crap. They know Pogba is a better player than them all anyway.
They probably were rooting for him since Croatia beat England , he's their teammate and they all hate the english media

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Wow :lol:

arthurka

He's had a great season for us too. Not sure where this is coming from.
I must have missed it then. I thought he was pretty poor defensively and naive in our tactical approach all season. Never did I see him take games by the scruff and command the midfield area. For me he looks miles apart what he played for France and what he played under Mourinho. But Ok people have different opinions and I all for that. But great to see him have a fantastic tournament.

meamth

I must have missed it then. I thought he was pretty poor defensively and naive in our tactical approach all season. Never did I see him take games by the scruff and command the midfield area. For me he looks miles apart what he played for France and what he played under Mourinho. But Ok people have different opinions and I all for that. But great to see him have a fantastic tournament.
Overreaction at its best. Really? Never?

Even that Arsenal game? Liverpool game?

Revaulx

Its neither the role nor the mental attitude but the quality of the players. Better defenders behind him, better attackers in front. There's no difference between Mourinho and Deschamps approaches. Both are defensive. United and France are both defensive minded teams. Difference is personnel. France have more quality players. If Mourinho was France manager Pogba would still have played like this. If Deschamps was United manager there would've been no difference in Pogba last season.
Fair enough. Let’s hope Fred at least does his stuff then; I can’t see United signing a whole lot more players.

arthurka

Overreaction at its best. Really? Never?

Even that Arsenal game? Liverpool game?
No never. Doesnt mean he only had poor games. As he did have great games for us . He was dropped for McTominey though. Always felt he could do so much more and better.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Dry your eyes you big girls blouse. They are grown men and they couldn’t give a crap. They know Pogba is a better player than them all anyway.
Dunno why you're telling me to dry my eyes, I'm really not bothered.

All I'm saying is that its unnecessary. I literally said it wasn't a big deal, but he's just won a trophy and his first move is to mock the side who many of his teammates play for? Just celebrate your win without having a dig at another national team. I'm not suggesting they will be in bits over it, but it wouldn't endear me to a teammate if a week after I was knocked out of a tournament he was on social media mocking it.

Of course they know Pogba's a better player than them, what does that have to do with anything? He's a world class midfielder and one of the best players in the league, I'm not suggesting otherwise. I just think he's made a small mistake in deciding to have a little dig, it'll further antagonise the media which he already is clearly bothered by. Nothing major, but it will be remembered when he's having a poor run.

Hojoon

Agreed, he has been very good during the tournament but he was out of his depth during the first half like Kanté and Matuidi. The pass before the goal and the goal itself, started his good spell.
Yeah, I thought Modric and Brozovic were the best CMs in the first half. It's a mystery why some people are saying how we're not seeing this Pogba for United, because he's shown exactly the type of player that the we've seen. He isn't someone who runs the game for 90 minutes but someone who can provide moments of great quality and be dominant for 20-30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.