Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishRedDevil

Dunno why you're telling me to dry my eyes, I'm really not bothered.

All I'm saying is that its unnecessary. I literally said it wasn't a big deal, but he's just won a trophy and his first move is to mock the side who many of his teammates play for? Just celebrate your win without having a dig at another national team. I'm not suggesting they will be in bits over it, but it wouldn't endear me to a teammate if a week after I was knocked out of a tournament he was on social media mocking it.

Of course they know Pogba's a better player than them, what does that have to do with anything? He's a world class midfielder and one of the best players in the league, I'm not suggesting otherwise. I just think he's made a small mistake in deciding to have a little dig, it'll further antagonise the media which he already is clearly bothered by. Nothing major, but it will be remembered when he's having a poor run.
The pathetic ‘it’s come home’ has nothing to do with the players though, it was the English media and fans, who ended up getting a reality check.

He did not ‘mock the side’ or ‘have a dig’. He did not poke fun at the players and did not say anything about their defeat. He poked fun at the pathetic statement only.

cyberman

Yeah, I thought Modric and Brozovic were the best CMs in the first half. It's a mystery why some people are saying how we're not seeing this Pogba for United, because he's shown exactly the type of player that the we've seen. He isn't someone who runs the game for 90 minutes but someone who can provide moments of great quality and be dominant for 20-30 minutes.
Its a bit unfair but I agree with the sentiment.
If we were France and played like that we would be getting Pelter's on here right now.
Why can't we dominate the ball, no high press, we have Pogba and Greizmann as fullbacks etc. We shouldn't be letting a lesser side dictate the tempo, that first half shows us we need a midfield 3 to free up Pogba.
The only difference is France doesn't have Man City playing a few hours later destroying some poor side with KDB having 67 assists so we can all self hate and overly criticise to show how impartial we are.

meamth

The pathetic ‘it’s come home’ has nothing to do with the players though, it was the English media and fans, who ended up getting a reality check.

He did not ‘mock the side’ or ‘have a dig’. He did not poke fun at the players and did not say anything about their defeat. He poked fun at the pathetic statement only.
Sometimes people just failed to realize that something is just an internet meme.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Hopefully he starts the season off as well as he did last season, but doesn’t get injured this time.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its a bit unfair but I agree with the sentiment.
If we were France and played like that we would be getting Pelter's on here right now.
Why can't we dominate the ball, no high press, we have Pogba and Greizmann as fullbacks etc. We shouldn't be letting a lesser side dictate the tempo, that first half shows us we need a midfield 3 to free up Pogba.
The only difference is France doesn't have Man City playing a few hours later destroying some poor side with KDB having 67 assists so we can all self hate and overly criticise to show how impartial we are.
No, the difference is that a club has the players 300 days per year. The expectations in terms of end product, football philosophy are therefore infinitely higher. International football is in the end all about results because that's the only thing that you can reliably build for.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Paul Pogba deserves praise for his World Cup performances.

I, like many, have questioned his discipline. There have been many times where I have even wondered if he was too indulgent to become a midfield general. The way he's stepped up throughout the tournament, recovering the ball, holding his position when Matuidi was bombing forward, has been hugely impressive. You compare that with the issues he had in Deschamps' set up two years ago and you can't deny the maturity he's shown.

In a very short space of time Pogba's judgement and decision making have improved in ways I never expected. Respect to him for showing the nous to sort it out. The growth in game understanding from the group stage matches to the final has been something to see. Sometimes simple is best.

Ban

Had a slow start like the whole French team but bossed it afterwards. Good taken goal. Hopefully this is a sign he'll have a great season in United shirt. :)

Stacks

It's VERY telling that Pogba was brilliant playing in a deeper, disciplined MC/DMC role:

I hope this World Cup shows how ideal Pogba is for that position.

Then only time Pogba has produced top class numbers is in Serie A. His numbers dropped in the CL for Juve. And judging by his performances for both United and France, Attacking Midfield is not where you get the best out of him at the top level.

Let's stop trying to 'free' him. Instead, he should be our dominant midfield presence whose main role should be to free up the players ahead of him. Whatever teambuilding we do this Summer should be focused on that.
I agree

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No surprise that playing with talented forwards brings the best out of him. Mbappe / Griezmann's movement is just on another level to our players right now.

Can't believe so many idiots actually considered selling him, people like Souness actually convinced you of that :lol:

Inter Yer Nan

loved today. I watched the game with Pogba haters. Laughing at him because he got nutmegged said he’s the worst player on the field then he scored. They still criticized him and said he’s terrible but the damage was done and reality set in when he kissed the cup.

Inter Yer Nan

I’m still being reminded about him being megged as to why he was terrible. From the same people who told me for 4 years “Messi is better than Ronaldo because he went to a final”...

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Petrified the whole, "God only knows" shit is gonna start now

Before this tournament, big Diddy wasn't getting the best out of him, it was all on Pogba over the last while! Even today he wasn't great
But, he's been one of my players of the tournament

Very proud of him as a United supporter but, hopefully he continues it for us!
You know shit is going down when Keane is praising you

Canagel

Fair enough. Let’s hope Fred at least does his stuff then; I can’t see United signing a whole lot more players.
Yes Fred is a very good start. Fred is someone who makes a lot defensive interceptions. They will defend together and attack together. We need better players in attack though. Top class RW to stretch play on one side and a creative player.

Peacemachine

Replace the lad with Savic eh? :lol:
We should be as our squad lacking the quality and our coach is lacking the understanding to make Pogba work the same he worked in France or Juve. Pogba is a pure luxury player as cherry on top of a functional team, not somebody you expect to carry a ruin

txred

Should have been MOTM and was one of France’s top 2-3 players all tournament. Truly a great tournament. The look on his face after scoring really says it all.

Sterling Archer

Just occurred to me that Pogba is the first current United player to star in a World Cup winning side. At least going back thru tournaments in my lifetime. How we can see a few more of them in coming years.

haram

No more excuses.

If our manager cant bring the best out of him, he can feck off.
Everyone says Mourinho uses him wrong and plays him in the wrong position, but Pogba has played a similar role for France all tournament...

MJJ

Everyone says Mourinho uses him wrong and plays him in the wrong position, but Pogba has played a similar role for France all tournament...
He really hasn't but for argument sakes, even if we assume he has then deschamps is getting more out of him than mourinho.

haram

He really hasn't but for argument sakes, even if we assume he has then deschamps is getting more out of him than mourinho.
During this tournament yeah. Pogba has looked more mature throughout. Pogba has shown in this tournament that he CAN do the defensive work and CAN be in deeper positions without it affecting him going forward that much.

MJJ

During this tournament yeah. Pogba has looked more mature throughout. Pogba has shown in this tournament that he CAN do the defensive work and CAN be in deeper positions without it affecting him going forward that much.
Because he is playing in a different setup with different responsibilities. But if its that simple, why cant mourinho get him to do the same?

haram

Because he is playing in a different setup with different responsibilities. But if its that simple, why cant mourinho get him to do the same?
He is playing with better players IMO. I dont think the responsibilities are that different. Also, Pogba has played well for us, it’s just consistency issues.

MJJ

He is playing with better players IMO. I dont think the responsibilities are that different. Also, Pogba has played well for us, it’s just consistency issues.
He is playing in a 3 man midfield of sorts with two work-horses and two players with exceptional movement in the front three. That is nothing like the set-up he plays with at united which is why he has performed better.

A part of it has also been the world cup but the system enabled him to perform to the standard that he did.

cyberman

He is playing in a 3 man midfield of sorts with two work-horses and two players with exceptional movement in the front three. That is nothing like the set-up he plays with at united which is why he has performed better.

A part of it has also been the world cup but the system enabled him to perform to the standard that he did.
France have been fairly ordinary going forward though. Be it down to Giroud but Mbappe and Griezmann weren't exactly drifting left and right to open up defences.
I wouldn't say their movement was a strong point in them winning the WC

Status
Not open for further replies.