Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The main reason he gets repeatedly dispossessed is because he takes too many touches. A cleverer footballer would deal with the press you describe by passing the ball with his first touch, then moving into space to receive the ball back with more time to pass.

Pogba fecking constantly dallies on the ball, letting his marker get tight to him, so he can try to out-muscle him or beat him with some skill. Sometimes this works, often it doesn’t. Looks great when it comes off but it’s a pointlessly low percentage approach.
I mean, it's entirely understandable why he holds onto the ball for two reasons.

The first being he knows no one else will do anything with it, and, 9 times out of 10, they're only going to pass back to him anyway. The second being our horrible off the ball movement. If we were a more fluid team with more passing options (Lingard, McTominay, Mata, Pereira, etc are all invisible in possession), I'm sure he'd release the ball quicker.

Also, as @JPRouve has said in the past, because he's our only player who does anything, his teammates constantly look to give him the ball; even when he's in a bad position to receive it.

Others need to step up, and, in them doing so, I'm sure he'll take a step back in terms of ball-hogging like he happily did/does for Juve and France.

fergiesarmy1

He put Rashford through in the box twice actually, he made a hash of both.
Do we have gif’s of these? I don’t recall them but was watching in a pub so don’t watch every minute with round time or toilet time but if they were that great would expect a replay of em.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Do people watch football nowadays or just analyse via stats?

I don't see how anybody with eyes can watch Pogba and think he's absolutely brilliant most weeks.

It's what makes me not care about him leaving...if the rhetoric from his acolytes was the agreement that he's been poor but it's 'insert list of excuses' then I could possibly get on board but when they are claiming THIS is great, then my own eyes tell me he's nowhere near as valuable as some people think.

Add the partly self-fuelled circus around him and I can't wait to see the back of him.
How many people say he's absolutely brilliant most weeks?

Most people agree that he's inconsistent as hell. Sometimes that inconsistency is over a period of time where he'll have one great month then one average month (last season was a perfect example of that), other times he'll be inconsistent within the same game with some good moments and some poor (this season so far).

There is a small group that completely gloss over the poor and only focus on the good, but there's no doubt they are significantly outnumbered by a large group who completely forget about the good and only focus on the poor. The latter group then seem to throw the people in the middle who point out that he's better than they are giving credit for (but inconsistent) with the people who are pretending he's always good and so refuse to listen to them.

The other question is what is causing the inconsistency. Is it only the teammates not being good enough? Is it only Pogba himself? The reality is that it's obviously a bit of both. Pogba absolutely has to take some responsibility for it, but there's also no doubt that he's being set up to fail to some extent because of what is around him. Throughout his entire time here he's being expected to both control the team around in general and also create the chances in the box, all with very little help and with teammates who continually fail to play their part. That still doesn't excuse him for his faults and if he had a stronger mentality he could still have done better than he has.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Whats the difference between a shot and a chance, aren't they the same thing?
So if I shoot from 25 yards, from a 3 yard pass thats a chance created? No, there is a stat called chance created and it is not equal to the number of shots. Also many chances do not even lead to a shot

Cassidy

Not always but common sense would dictate that most shots are off the back of it being created surely?
when dealing with statistics, better not to make assumptions especially when relying on "common sense"

Keefy18

99% of statistics only tell 49% of the story someone once said.
You asked, I told.

when dealing with statistics, better not to make assumptions especially when relying on "common sense"
Really such a pedantic and pissy argument to put forth.

We've created plenty of chances in our 4 games, I've no problem in saying they aren't clear cut chances many of them but still chances.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The main reason he gets repeatedly dispossessed is because he takes too many touches. A cleverer footballer would deal with the press you describe by passing the ball with his first touch, then moving into space to receive the ball back with more time to pass.

Pogba fecking constantly dallies on the ball, letting his marker get tight to him, so he can try to out-muscle him or beat him with some skill. Sometimes this works, often it doesn’t. Looks great when it comes off but it’s a pointlessly low percentage approach.
It could also be that he doesn't trust his partners. Not really a surprise when you think his partners are Matic and McT.

Give him a KDB / peak Busquets or a proper coach who can instill some playing style to the team. We lost our identity long back and what we see now is a bunch of talented players trying their luck.

Cassidy

You asked, I told.

Really such a pedantic and pissy argument to put forth.

We've created plenty of chances in our 4 games, I've no problem in saying they aren't clear cut chances many of them but still chances.
Not really, it is just the truth that shots do not equal chances, and there is an actual chances created stat so you should use that instead. Especially since all chances do not lead to shots.

fergiesarmy1

It could also be that he doesn't trust his partners. Not really a surprise when you think his partners are Matic and McT.

Give him a KDB / peak Busquets or a proper coach who can instill some playing style to the team. We lost our identity long back and what we see now is a bunch of talented players trying their luck.
Doesn’t he have some responsibility as one of the most expensive players in the world to help his other midfielders improve.

bond19821982

Doesn’t he have some responsibility as one of the most expensive players in the world to help his other midfielders improve.
Hows he supposed to help ? You cant play on their behalf . He signed up for a project. Jose, Zlatan, Mikhi, him . After 4 years, we have regressed now.

He has every right to be worried about the direction of the club and he want to move on. Why can't we appreciate that fact ?

Keefy18

Not really, it is just the truth that shots do not equal chances, and there is an actual chances created stat so you should use that instead. Especially since all chances do not lead to shots.
I said it above, it was simply a rough gauge.

fergiesarmy1

Hows he supposed to help ? You cant play on their behalf . He signed up for a project. Jose, Zlatan, Mikhi, him . After 4 years, we have regressed now.

He has every right to be worried about the direction of the club and he want to move on. Why can't we appreciate that fact ?
Senior players are supposed to help the younger players either by example, leadership or motivation.

Don’t see much of that from Pogba.

Eric, Robson, Keane all knew how to do it one way or the other.

He'sRaldo

Senior players are supposed to help the younger players either by example, leadership or motivation.

Don’t see much of that from Pogba.

Eric, Robson, Keane all knew how to do it one way or the other.
I think it's just recently Pogba became a senior player. Although he's always been the star player, if you think about it he's always had elders with him on the field who failed (with the exception of Zlatan).

Right now, he's definitely trying to help McTominay but it's not his game to be playing that deep.

fergiesarmy1

Yeah it would be the best thing for him really. They'd actually bench him when he's shite.
:lol: - he’ll want to move from them in a few years time as well though they won’t put up such a struggle as Ed and the marketing department.

Jimmy_Bond

Yeah it would be the best thing for him really. They'd actually bench him when he's shite.
Some of the things in this thread are fantastic.

Basically, stick him him in an easier league in the best team surrounded by world class players with the best manager with no defensive responsibilities and just let him play. Then we'll see the best of him.

What a player.

bond19821982

Some of the things in this thread are fantastic.

Basically, stick him him in an easier league in the best team surrounded by world class players with the best manager with no defensive responsibilities and just let him play. Then we'll see the best of him.

What a player.
Or play Messi in a inferior team and ask him to do everything. If he fails, he is shit, careless and isn't upto it.

Such a weird argument.

fergiesarmy1

Or play Messi in a inferior team and ask him to do everything. If he fails, he is shit, careless and isn't upto it.

Such a weird argument.
I sure messi would have a better impact in an inferior team that pogba has in our team.

Hasn’t scored since February in open play so comparing him to messi is even weirder.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Such a weird argument.
I think Pauls lack of ability to hold onto the ball is the source of a lot of his criticism. He must have lost the ball foolishly about three or four times in the first half i think it was the last game.

Then he tries to take on people when it is not on.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Irwin is class, I wish more ex-players said things like this and be supportive of the players instead of using their 30 mins on TV playing for the cameras and talking shit about the current players.

"There's not too many players of Paul's quality," Irwin said. "He's got plenty of players in front of him who have got great pace and I think he's got the understanding of being able to pick a great pass.

"We need consistency out of him sometimes but going forward now and particularly where we've started dominating games he's going to be a big, big player for us.

"I think every team needs a risk taker but I look at him and think he's the one that can unlock doors.

"We've created enough chances to win games so he's going to be vitally important for us."
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/11802293/pogba-has-risk-factor-man-utd-need

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The problem is not that he's not talented, the problem is that he's trying to play something other than football in his head.

bond19821982

I sure messi would have a better impact in an inferior team that pogba has in our team.

Hasn’t scored since February in open play so comparing him to messi is even weirder.
Oh come on, we both know it's about the logic and not players. Its holds good for any XYZ player. Better players needs better partners and better setups. Messi would make a better impact in our team isn't enough for an argument. His performances will take a hit and will lose balls when trying to make things happen. That's the core point.

bond19821982

I think Pauls lack of ability to hold onto the ball is the source of a lot of his criticism. He must have lost the ball foolishly about three or four times in the first half i think it was the last game.

Then he tries to take on people when it is not on.
Because noone else would take that responsibility. Everyone looks for him to take risks and create chances. So you take risks, you lose the ball. He cant do everything.

fergiesarmy1

Oh come on, we both know it's about the logic and not players. Its holds good for any XYZ player. Better players needs better partners and better setups. Messi would make a better impact in our team isn't enough for an argument. His performances will take a hit and will lose balls when trying to make things happen. That's the core point.
Depends on the player, some relish being be the main man. Maradonna had no right winning the World Cup with his team but he dragged them through. Even in the final when he was man marked by half the opposition he knew it was going to benefit the team so got on with it even though he would have loved to have scored the winner. Robson carried united on his back at times, it was a common feeling if he weren’t playing united weren’t winning.

But I’m not putting this over rated over paid problem in the same league as those legends of the game.

Falcow

I mean, it's entirely understandable why he holds onto the ball for two reasons.

The first being he knows no one else will do anything with it, and, 9 times out of 10, they're only going to pass back to him anyway. The second being our horrible off the ball movement. If we were a more fluid team with more passing options (Lingard, McTominay, Mata, Pereira, etc are all invisible in possession), I'm sure he'd release the ball quicker.

Also, as @JPRouve has said in the past, because he's our only player who does anything, his teammates constantly look to give him the ball; even when he's in a bad position to receive it.

Others need to step up, and, in them doing so, I'm sure he'll take a step back in terms of ball-hogging like he happily did/does for Juve and France.
Nonsense, Roy keane never gave the ball away when playing for Ireland and he had worse players playing around him, pogba could always try and run with it when he receives it if there is no one available to pass to, instead he holds onto it, waits for someone to challenge him and all too often loses it. I dont believe that he had no passing options against the 4 teams we have played so far, that argument would carry weight if we were playing against pool or city perhaps but not fecking palace and Southampton

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Like Argentina ? You can rightly criticize Pogba for his shortcomings but to be sure of something impossible like that is weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.