Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Probably a bit hyperbolic. Far less poor games than good ones. We’ve only played 19 games and he’s been good for two months straight, and hasn’t even played in some - and the entire season is barely 4 months old! He had about 3 bad ones at the start of the season, and even if you are in the camp of ‘I’m not buying this covid nonsense’ which unsurprisingly, I actually read on here at the time at the start of the season - it’s still only about 3 bad games, maybe 4 perhaps.
You’re pretty much bang on looking back through the games, Palace, Brighton, Spurs and Arsenal he was truly horrific. Looked well off the pace and was all over the place.

After that he was mostly used from the bench and was generally really good, there was also the Leipzig 5-0 game he started where he was fantastic and PSG away where he came off the bench and changed the game, give us control. Leipzig away when he came off the bench and nearly dragged us through. We really struggled without him in CL and with him fit and in form I’ve no doubt we’d be still in the competition.

The more you look at the games individually, actually the more you realise he’s had a handful of poor games at the start of the season where he clearly was nowhere near fit.

Ole has done a great job of taking Paul out and getting him fit, giving him cameos. Pogba has done a good job of staying professional and putting the work in to get fit during a season, and playing well when he’s been asked to come on.

Ive no doubt that the next time he has a poor game I’ll still hear the same people say he’s never played well for us, or he’s crap 95% of the time. You can literally look back through any season he’s been here and dispel that myth.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Pogba’s heading is improving immensely, especially when defending. I’m just as amazed as watching Shaw suddenly cross like Roberto Carlos.

tjb

I agree with everything you say. If we replace him well but with who? I’d rather someone who wants to be here and rocks the boat far less, that’s for sure.
If I could I would actually sign 2 central midfielders and start the double pivot again, however since that's not possible, we need to sign a DM capable of making forward passes, knows the position ( so is good at basic things like positioning and off the ball movement), can defend and can recycle possession. Zakaria from Monchengladbach would do or if we have that spending power, saul niguez. Truth is, the DM doesn't need to be world class a all those abilities, just simply needs to know how to perform them consistently.

After signing this player, we would have a year to see if Fred or VDB can step up to the partner role. Our team would still be good enough to win the league if we sign this type of DM, regardless of Fred or VDB's weaknesses.

Hellboy

The problem is he's not worth the deal. He'd demand 400k despite the fact he's a 200k player. We can't afford to overvalue him like that. Furthermore, he's proven that if we aren't in good form, he's not one of our leaders, possibly even being a divisive figure in the dressing room. He's not perfect for us and we're not perfect for him.
He‘s the best midfielder in the world deserves to earn 400k a week

Pogba’s heading is improving immensely, especially when defending. I’m just as amazed as watching Shaw suddenly cross like Roberto Carlos.
he’s a big lad. I thought he might turn into a bit of a Bryan Robson at one point with his heading. He’s very useful to have in our box - perhaps with Cavani and us crossing more we might see some more headed goals from him in open play? It’s in his locker.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If I could I would actually sign 2 central midfielders and start the double pivot again, however since that's not possible, we need to sign a DM capable of making forward passes, knows the position ( so is good at basic things like positioning and off the ball movement), can defend and can recycle possession. Zakaria from Monchengladbach would do or if we have that spending power, saul niguez. Truth is, the DM doesn't need to be world class a all those abilities, just simply needs to know how to perform them consistently.

After signing this player, we would have a year to see if Fred or VDB can step up to the partner role. Our team would still be good enough to win the league if we sign this type of DM, regardless of Fred or VDB's weaknesses.
I reckon we could honestly bully Barcelona for Frenkie. They are skint, and it would be such a statement signing, for more than one reason. It would be a great addition to the team, and also signal a nail in the coffin of Barcelona and probably Spanish football too, taking a key player in his prime like that.

RUCK4444

Furthermore, he's proven that if we aren't in good form, he's not one of our leaders, possibly even being a divisive figure in the dressing room. He's not perfect for us and we're not perfect for him.
How is this even still being said by posters?

Every single player and the manager have confirmed he’s nothing but a very positive influence on the team in the dressing room.

He’s one of very few who other players look up to, confirmed by Ole multiple times.

Ole puts the club first, that’s one thing everybody would agree on when it comes to Ole, there is no chance he would put up with a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

RUCK4444

I reckon we could honestly bully Barcelona for Frenkie. They are skint, and it would be such a statement signing, for more than one reason. It would be a great addition to the team, and also signal a nail in the coffin of Barcelona and probably Spanish football too, taking a key player in his prime like that.
I’d be fully behind that. Cant see it happening but he would be a brilliant signing for us.

Is he a regular starter for Barca? Haven’t seen much La Liga for a good while.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d be fully behind that. Cant see it happening but he would be a brilliant signing for us.

Is he a regular starter for Barca? Haven’t seen much La Liga for a good while.
Yea, he’s been a regular. I don’t think he’s for sale, but I do think for the right price, Barcelona would have little choice.

tjb

TBH he would be the perfect player. If Barca would even do a swap deal for him that would be great. Pogba has done a good job at increasing his value over the last month and Barca's board has proven to be quite stupid, so it's not too much of a dream

Diabovermelho

What about De Ligt? Perhaps we could get him + cash for Pogba.

RUCK4444

Yea, he’s been a regular. I don’t think he’s for sale, but I do think for the right price, Barcelona would have little choice.
Yeah for sure they would need to seriously consider bids for pretty much anybody in the squad other than Messi (if they are still determined to cling onto him.)

Definitely worth tempting them. If we do lose Pogba we need to replace him with real quality as we would be losing a top player imo.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Stats about the team performance with and without him over the past few seasons. (All per 90): points per match, goals scored, goals conceded by the team when he's on the pitch, and the same for expected goals scored and conceded:

This is the only season where the team has been better without him than with him. Of course this will be skewed massively by the Spurs game and also by his start to the season generally. But, as with his other stats, it's interesting that he's being so widely praised for an average season.

Bondi77

He would look good in a Utd shirt

E-mal

Ndidi is worth a mention

Conor

This is the only season where the team has been better without him than with him. Of course this will be skewed massively by the Spurs game and also by his start to the season generally. But, as with his other stats, it's interesting that he's being so widely praised for an average season.
This is what I don't understand. If you read this thread, you would think he has been outstanding for the majority of the season; he has had some good games, some really bad games, and 1 or 2 excellent games. For what he cost, the talent he possesses, and how he seems to view himself, that is below what I would expect.

Godfather

Stats about the team performance with and without him over the past few seasons. (All per 90): points per match, goals scored, goals conceded by the team when he's on the pitch, and the same for expected goals scored and conceded:

It's his other seasons with us that get undervalued. He pretty much single handedly kept Ole his job last year and his understanding with Ibra in his first season was great. His two really poor runs of form were when Mou decided to feck all up and after he had corona. Had some poor games now and again in between but overall he's done well for us. People are clouded in their judgment by the comments of that fat feck of an agent.

Classical Mechanic

Pogba makes people irrational. There‘s very little reason when it comes to his performances. His fans hype every little thing good he does whilst his detractors shit on him everything for every little bad thing he does. I admit that I’ve been too negative about him in the past once I’d lost faith in him.

I share the view of the stats, he’s less effective and certainly a lot worse to watch this season than in past seasons. In his defence, he’s produced some important moments like the goal against Fulham which would have had a very low xG. Even if he’s not running the show moments like that will be crucial for any title win. We need him to win the title I think because he has the ability to produce those moments.

In football history is always written by the winners too. If a team wins the individuals in it will receive a uplift in positive perception of their performances whereas the exact same performance would be criticised in the event of a loss or team failure over the course of a season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is what I don't understand. If you read this thread, you would think he has been outstanding for the majority of the season; he has had some good games, some really bad games, and 1 or 2 excellent games. For what he cost, the talent he possesses, and how he seems to view himself, that is below what I would expect.
Poor you. Has the Pog-hate dropped a little below it’s usual standard for you? And it’s nothing to do with ‘this thread’. This thread, or this forum tbh is probably the last place you should be looking for an honest Pogba assessment. If you stick your head outside the caf, the consensus seems to be the same.

And this is a Manchester United forum, where for years people have never hesitated or been shy to attack the player for any and everything, and now you come to protest that a United player is getting a little praise on this United forum by more than 5 or 6 people for the first time. I’m sure regular scheduled programming will return soon enough, he’s due a bad game, nobody can avoid them sadly, even the more celebrated players at this club and beyond.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It's his other seasons with us that get undervalued. He pretty much single handedly kept Ole his job last year and his understanding with Ibra in his first season was great. His two really poor runs of form were when Mou decided to feck all up and after he had corona. Had some poor games now and again in between but overall he's done well for us. People are clouded in their judgment by the comments of that fat feck of an agent.
agree. even the part about him "working hard" - while he does have more tackles this season, he has far less pressing and the same number of interceptions. and his creative output and possession control is down. this November-January version is a very good CM with big moments in his locker, but he has done more in the past.
of course, if he continues producing a crazy goal every two games ...

Pogba makes people irrational. There‘s very little reason when it comes to his performances. His fans hype every little thing good he does whilst his detractors shit on him everything for every little bad thing he does. I admit that I’ve been too negative about him in the past once I’d lost faith in him.

I share the view of the stats, he’s less effective and certainly a lot worse to watch this season than in past seasons. In his defence, he’s produced some important moments like the goal against Fulham which would have had a very low xG. Even if he’s not running the show moments like that will be crucial for any title win. We need him to win the title I think because he has the ability to produce those moments.

In football history is always written by the winners too. If a team wins the individuals in it will receive a uplift in positive perception of their performances whereas the exact same performance would be criticised in the event of a loss or team failure over the course of a season.
ya, i think the big moments (which were both technically great and important) plus team results are making an average season look great, while better seasons were seen as bad.
bolded part strikes me too - when he came in and for 1-2 seasons after, i was happy if he got the ball since then there was a chance of a crazy chip pass to Ibra or whatever.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Continues his excellent form & was sharp defensively. Well played!

el3mel

Thought he was absolutely majestic especially in first half. Bossed it.

He looks so focused and committed.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Imagine if Pogba stayed and you had a world class CDM + Bruno + Pogba.

I imagine he will leave for a different club but United with Pogba and a few additions would challenge for major honours.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's brilliant right now.

When he's like this he's the complete midfielder... His defensive contributions have been something that I previously didn't think he was capable off doing.

RUCK4444

Build. the. team. around. him.

I’ve said this shamelessly right through his time here. Unique player.

Last edited:

spiriticon

He is now making me wish he'd stay.

These are £89 million performances he's churning out week after week

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's brilliant right now.

When he's like this he's the complete midfielder... His defensive contributions have been something that I previously didn't think he was capable off doing.
This is the biggest thing for me. He’s making defensive contributions that I was sure he was incapable of.

Yagami

Good post resistant

This is why relying on stats is silly. Watch the games. We wouldn't be where we are without him.

Raven

Didn't think he was amazing today, good solid performance though, very happy with him.

HalfBaked22

That was another solid performance from Pogba. His tackle to win the ball back at the top of our 18 yard box started the counter attack for Greenwood's goal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He looks like he's enjoying himself out there. Another top class performance.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he played very well, particularly first half and our midfield was firmly on top, which isn’t easy against them with Firminio dropping deep too.

Status
Not open for further replies.