Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
On the other hand...we're the "world's biggest club" yet we practically never buy genuine, recognised world stars. Our tradition of favouring youth is great, and noble, but the fact is that we have a mere 3 European Cups; spending big money domestically works out fine for us...if our ambitions are only to dominate domestically, and not on a world or European level.
...and still this transfer ticks the "youth" box which is why it's so right for us.

podurban2

To all the posters who are just repeating Griezmann as if he was actually available: Don't you think that there is a bigger chance of attracting such players if we already have player's of Pogba's calibre in the team. Why the hell would Griezmann want to play with the sub-par average midfield we have or will have if we don't invest heavily?

Xeno

We have got Ibra for free and Mkhitaryan for relatively cheap. If we have to overspend here, then so be it. We should try get it done and all of a sudden we have a squad which, in my opinion makes us not just title challengers, but favourties for the title.
It's a good point. £160m on Pogba, Mkhi, Zlatan and Bailey is only the same as City spent on KDB, Sterling, Delph and Otamendi. Our net spend would only be around £100-120m also if we left it at those four incoming and sold Mata and a few others.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
If we buy Pogba then I trust our manager to have a very clear vision of firstly, why Pogba is the player he wants, and secondly, exactly how Pogba will fit into whatever system Jose wants us to use.

The transfer fee is not really relevant to either of those points as long as the club have that kind of money to spend; which they do.

We can all say "for that money you could get Kante AND Matuidi AND A N Other" but if that's what Jose wanted then that's what we'd be doing.
I hope he does, last few lads had no clue what they were up to with their big signings like Mata, Di Maria, hell even Martial spent almost half the season being shoved about the place.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We now have a WC manager who is working on the defence, we are missing a Ballon D'or calibre attacker, i think you have just proved my point that we are better off spending 100m on such a player instead of an up and coming CM.
Martial could very well be that Balon D'or candidate. We need the midfielder more.

Rashford, Mkh, Zlatan, Martial and Rooney is more than enough

AndyJ1985

It's a good point. £160m on Pogba, Mkhi, Zlatan and Bailey is only the same as City spent on KDB, Sterling, Delph and Otamendi. Our net spend would only be around £100-120m also if we left it at those four incoming and sold Mata and a few others.
I remember many people being impressed with City's transfer business last summer and saying they'll run away with the league. When you compare the players they bought with the ones we'll get (assuming Pogba joins) and for roughly the same cost, our business looks 10x more impressive.

Manny

Grammar Police
If we buy Pogba then I trust our manager to have a very clear vision of firstly, why Pogba is the player he wants, and secondly, exactly how Pogba will fit into whatever system Jose wants us to use.

The transfer fee is not really relevant to either of those points as long as the club have that kind of money to spend; which they do.

We can all say "for that money you could get Kante AND Matuidi AND A N Other" but if that's what Jose wanted then that's what we'd be doing.
If we get Pogba for the money being touted, we have to play a 4-3-3. No point spending all that money and having Pogba play #6 in a 4-2-3-1.

Red Bug

If we get Pogba for the money being touted, we have to play a 4-3-3. No point spending all that money and having Pogba play #6 in a 4-2-3-1.
I am pretty sure Mourinho knows what he is doing and has a plan of action.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We need to wake up. We desperately need world class footballers, even if they cost over £100m, if we're going to get back among the game's main players. For too long, and for reasons of affection and bias, we've viewed United legends as 'world class' when the truth is that they hardly ever proved it. Winning countless league titles doesn't make one world class.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
No we we were comparing our situation with Giggs and Scholes to now, you are taking the discussion down a different route now. The initial discussion was about the importance of having a top class midfielder rather than a top class attacker.
How am I taking it down a different route by highlighting a need to improve midfield in a discussion about the importance of a top class midfielder over attacker?

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
I agree, if we win the midfield battle, even Rooney can score if he receives 20 balls per match. Zlatan, Martial, Henrikh or Rashford will all be able to score more too. It's the area where the impact is almost instantaneous.
I can't understand how some people ignore our major problems from not just last season but in Sir Alex's last years too in favour of a glamorous pacey inside forward.

U99ted

For too long, and for reasons of affection and bias, we've viewed United legends as 'world class' when the truth is that they hardly ever proved it. Winning countless league titles doesn't make one world class.
Didn't some of them prove it by winning the Champions League or reaching its latter stages?

RoyH1

The real watershed is another team breaking the transfer record. The last five times its been broken its been by Madrid: Figo in 2000, and then Zidane, Kaka, Ronaldo and Bale since then.

But I dont feel Madrid being priced out is the issue per se. You have to factor in how much they actually want him (though we can only speculate about this.) You cant look at this without factoring in their already strong midfield options, and our relatively poor ones. We should want him a lot more than them, so it isnt so surprising if we price them out. After all, value is not a clear, objectively definable thing, it is entirely subjective. His value to us is higher than his value to them.

If we were talking about "the next Messi" and we both wanted him equally and we still priced them out, that would be a watershed.
I'm in full agreement with you on this. Having said that, at the end of the day the important bit for us would be getting a massively talented footballer at the start of his peak. We'd instantly be favorites to win the Premiership.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Didn't some of them prove it by winning the Champions League or reaching its latter stages?
We have won it twice in the last 2 decades. A team of our stature has to win it more often. You can reach the finals every year but it doesnt count for shit if you cant win it.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I remember many people being impressed with City's transfer business last summer and saying they'll run away with the league. When you compare the players they bought with the ones we'll get (assuming Pogba joins) and for roughly the same cost, our business looks 10x more impressive.
Also, I could have added this to my last post, we have Shaw to come back into our defence. He's like a new signing if he comes back with anything like the form he showed at the beginning of last season. So while our defence did well last year, Shaw and hopefully Bailly (Who I'm trusting Mourinho on) will strengthen it again. Poggers, Zlatan and Mkhitaryan added to our midfield and attack. If we get Pogba, our squad is really starting to look top class again.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
You have to laugh at the City forum. I remember reading a comment on there last year saying how we were going for shite targets (at the time we were linked with Gúndogan), and at least they were after world class targets like KDB and Pogba.

Now apparently Gúndogan is a class above Pogba.

U99ted

We have won it twice in the last 2 decades. A team of our stature has to win it more often. You can reach the finals every year but it doesnt count for shit if you cant win it.
Yeah, we do need to win it more often. But the same stat can be said about Bayern. Doesn't mean their players didn't prove they were world class, like our "legends", which was the point I was contesting.

SteveJ

Scout
A club as legendary as United should, ideally, be dominating Finals, not be outplayed or scrape home on penalties. This isn't entitlement speaking either - take away our business acumen, and what we've had is a complacent and parochial club. Woodward may be accused of having 'stars in his eyes' but that attitude is necessary and long overdue; for too long, domestic success was considered enough.

Gasolin

You have to laugh at the City forum. I remember reading a comment on there last year saying how we were going for shite targets (at the time we were linked with Gúndogan), and at least they were after world class targets like KDB and Pogba.

Now apparently Gúndogan is a class above Pogba.
We'll laugh once we get Pogba.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I did a google search and it came up you was getting 25m per season from Nike. I didn't realise that this deal starts next year, so currently your shirt deal is 10m per season, which is 65m less per season than ours.
Ah right, I didn't know you were on about the difference with ours. Had an idea that's what you were on about but you just went "10m a season so that equals 65m per season" ha!

@ChaddyP if I'm a Spurs fan you're a dipper, deal?

Silverman

I've seen pundits saying he is more suited to the #10 role. Personally, I disagree. I think he should be moulded into a #8 running the show in midfield.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I don't understand. :wenger:
I think he's referring to Arsenal fans claiming their injured players coming back from injury is a like a new signing. Sure they do it every summer.

Cazorla is their new signing this summer :lol:

Theatre of Screams

A club as legendary as United should, ideally, be dominating Finals, not be outplayed or scrape home on penalties. This isn't entitlement speaking either - take away our business acumen, and what we've had is a complacent and parochial club. Woodward may be accused of having 'stars in his eyes' but that attitude is necessary and long overdue; for too long, domestic success was considered enough.
What an absurd and ridiculous claim. Real Madrid have always had big money, Bayern are run like you would expect the best club in Germany to be run, and Barca have been blessed with not just one of the greatest players to ever live, but the likes of Iniesta and Xavi all coming through at the same time.

Add to that the likes of Juve and AC Milan who at the time were huge teams in a fantastic league, the claim we should be "dominating' finals against these teams is ridiculous.

Yes we should have won more than 2 European Cup in the last 20 years, but we're not the only team attempting to win it, you know?

The level of competition is so fierce not one team has managed to defend it.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I wouldn't be surprised if we did what we did with Schmidfield last season and brought in Kante and Pogba together (before letting go of Schweinsteiger and Fellaini).

Pogba
Kante
Schneiderlin
Carrick
Herrera

For three midfield positions. I'd be happy with that...

Marca: Manchester United lead Real Madrid in Pogba chase

VanGaalEra

While Paul Pogba is preparing for the final of Euro 2016 with France on Sunday, Manchester United and Real Madrid are locked in a battle to lure him away from Juventus this summer.

It has been rumoured that Los Blancos have been interested in signing the 23-year-old for a while, but it appears Jose Mourinho and the Red Devils are now in the driving seat and are willing to pay over 100 million euros to sign the midfielder.

Completing the deal will only add to the frustration that United let Pogba leave Old Trafford for free as an 18-year-old in 2012, having brought him through their academy.

Since joining Juventus, he has gone on to win four league titles, becoming one of the world's best players and the hottest property currently on the market.

If Real are to step up their chase, the Italian giants must reduce their asking price, but they are helped by the mutual respect between Pogba and coach Zinedine Zidane, arguably France's greatest ever player.

ti vu

I wouldn't be surprised if we did what we did with Schmidfield last season and brought in Kante and Pogba together (before letting go of Schweinsteiger and Fellaini).

Pogba
Kante
Schneiderlin
Carrick
Herrera

For three midfield positions. I'd be happy with that...
Doesn't see any strong rumor regarding Kante, but there was one in Matuidi thread about we're allowed to discuss personal term with him and PSG is interested in Bastian.

SteveJ

Scout
What an absurd and ridiculous claim. Real Madrid have always had big money, Bayern are run like you would expect the best club in Germany to be run, and Barca have been blessed with not just one of the greatest players to ever live, but the likes of Iniesta and Xavi all coming through at the same time.

Add to that the likes of Juve and AC Milan who at the time were huge teams in a fantastic league, the claim we should be "dominating' finals against these teams is ridiculous.
You're missing the point. The club is continually talking the talk - "world's biggest club" - while failing to walk the walk. Anyway, all those clubs bar Juve have more European Cups than we do.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Doesn't see any strong rumor regarding Kante, but there was one in Matuidi thread about we're allowed to discuss personal term with him and PSG is interested in Bastian.
There was very little about Schneiderlin til it happened. Weren't Arsenal tipped to get him and we were all crying about it.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Every year, Arsenal fans say player X returning from injury "is like a new signing". Eboue, Wilshire, Fabregas, Ramsey, Eduardo, Walcott etc.
I think he's referring to Arsenal fans claiming their injured players coming back from injury is a like a new signing. Sure they do it every summer.

Cazorla is their new signing this summer :lol:
Ah :lol:

Well I stand by it. He'll strenghten our defence from what we had last year.