Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

ChaddyP

So, this Pogba lad. Any good?

I guess he could be one for the future, still being young. Odds of him being loaned to Peterborough for a year or two?

Probably better in the U21's to start with I guess, give him a few cup games.
substitute appearance in EL group stage after we have already wrapped up first place in the group

Scholsey2004

Real madrid do not buy players they need, they buy shiny new toys. This is one toy they wanted but was too pricy for them hence the "we dont really need him" line comes out. They dint need bekham but needed makelele, they dint needdi maria, they dint need jamez, they dint need to sack ancelotti or mourinho.
I read something about him not filling their profile for a big signing. Basically he doesn't look like a boy band member. It's all about marketing.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Pogba is best suited to having a free role in central midfield in which he can contribute where he's best placed, the attacking third.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
If Perez really wanted Pogba and didn't have the funds, he would just sell you James and finance the deal with your money. You should know how it works by now.
:lol: Yeah and we will just buy James and finance Real Madrid when we want Pogba.

RedCurry

Is that all?
You say it as if we'd walk the league.

In my opinion 100m+ should only be reserved for players who will guarantee you a title immediately. My problem with his price tag is that, I don't think he's that player.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Hoping we can wrap up this deal tonight so we can move on to other things.

Anyone got any good links to YouTube clips of Pogba?

Silas

Im not convinced teams at the top end of a league nead a holding midfielder as defensive as carvalho or wanyama. We've never used a player like that. Jose might disagree mind.
To each his own I suppose, though I definitely wouldn't say BFS is as defensive as either of those two anyway. Penultimate post of the day for me, so I'll have to leave it there sorry. Need to use these responsibly :wenger:.

More on topic, if talks were held yesterday and we had our 'PR bid' rejected, would I be correct in expecting us to make our £100m by Saturday at the latest?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Perez really wanted Pogba and didn't have the funds, he would just sell you James and finance the deal with your money. You should know how it works by now.[/QUOTE]

That sounds so bitter! Think you need to realise the Spanish sides are struggling to compete financially with the English teams. You think Real are out this because he cost £20-30m over the odds? No it's because they can't compete now watch the worlds top talent flock to the premiership over the next few years! Money talks and right now it's singing the opera in England!!

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Only another 44 pages and we can beat the Berbatov thread. On to the Vidal saga next, 207 more pages to beat that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

In my opinion 100m+ should only be reserved for players who will guarantee you a title immediately. My problem with his price tag is that, I don't think he's that player.
If we get Pogba, we will be installed as favourites for the title, and it'll be a shambles if we're not very serious contenders come April and May.

There's absolutely no underdog story or angle to play off with us having so much quality now either.

I'm just surprised you're so easily sated if it's only 1 league title, tbh. Did think I'd see some kind of haul (couple of leagues and a European Cup - not necessarily the CL - for example.)

Z_Wolf

Just read an article on AS about how Pogba is joining United for Riola and how the best players always want to go to Real Madrid. As far as I know the best players are at Barca.

Shark

@NotShark

Pogba might not be a player that's going to drag us to a title now(maybe he is), but neither was De Gea when he signed and he became the best in his position within 3 seasons. Pogba is that kind of talent. Same with Martial. The fee is not for what you are getting now, but what we'll get in two to three years time.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Is it time to see the top posters in the thread so far? Who has embraced their inner muppet most?

Brocky

This thread has gone rapidly downhill from the hijinks of yesterday's board fiasco.

There has to be a picture of Woody stood in his kitchen with a vague and interpretable post-it note stuck to his fridge somewhere.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Enough with all the Madrid glorification. It's obvious they initially wanted him and were put off by the money put out there.

Some people want to act as if Madrid have limitless amount of money and can get whatever they want when all these past 3 years have shown the exact opposite. Marca are clearly bitter about all this and would predictably spout nonsense and throw a few random jabs here and there. Either way we don't care(or at least shouldn't), we're about to get our man, some Spanish media and Madrid fans are somehow bitter but we just do our own thing.

Take the Madrid glorification somewhere else to those gullible enough to believe they can always get what they want or have some sort of limitless financial resources(I don't even want to get into the whole city and government helping funding Madrid and such).

Madrid might and financial pull compared to other top teams are ridiculously overrated by some.

stevoc

Fellaini and Schneiderlin are probably better centre-mids than Pogba. The lad really isn't a centre-mid, he is more gifted than them but as of right now.. he is no centre midfielder. He doesn't have the work rate to play there.

Play him where Rooney is and you'll get more out of him. He still needs to learn how to play CM.
Fellaini was awful last season in central midfield in a 2. Awful.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well it's not because Schneiderlin isn't a #6. Assuming everyone was fit and in form, Schneiderlin would play where Pogba is, Pogba would play in Herrera's position (as he's plays primarily as an LCM) and Schweinsteiger would play behind them.
I'd rather he played there than further forward if i'm honest.

Red Bug

Anything new?
From what I can gather, this thread has turned into a Real Madrid v Man Utd 'Who is Bigger?' Willy Waving contest. Plus then you've got the people who constantly go on and on and on about the fee, wages etc.

As for news on how the potential deal is going? Nothing new.

stevoc

hopefully this is true and he plays on merit

Manchester United ‏@ManUtdUpdates_ 9h9 hours ago
J.Mourinho has told Rooney that he is club captain, but that does not necessarily mean that he is guaranteed a starting place. [Times] #MUFC
I hope that is true, i don't hate Rooney but no one should be guaranteed a place in the side.

Coops73

Is it time to see the top posters in the thread so far? Who has embraced their inner muppet most?
I think it's time to see who's talked the most bollocks. From people discussing is he worth the fee of 85-90-100-120€s or is that £s ? before or after tax? To formation plans, to if we've finally made Madrid look like knobheads, feck me really? We haven't even signed the lad yet....or has my life moved on at such a pace that I've missed Di Mozzarellas latest tweet.

cyberman

Madrid went for Alaba, Lewandowski, Pogba and Gomes.
They made those approaches for a reason. Don't forget that the squad threy have this summer has to do them for 2 seasons straigjt.
A squad still built around a soon to be 32 Ronaldo.
A squad that has said they will have to sack Benzeam if he is found guilty.
A squad that has a 31 year old Modric as their midfield link with the attack.
I think they also need a new poster boy at Madrid to replace Ronaldo and if they think the market is crazy now wait until they can buy again in two years with another EPL tv deal on the horizon to see what crazy really looks like.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Madrid went for Alaba, Lewandowski, Pogba and Gomes.
They made those approaches for a reason. Don't forget that the squad threy have this summer has to do them for 2 seasons straigjt.
A squad still built around a soon to be 32 Ronaldo.
A squad that has said they will have to sack Benzeam if he is found guilty.
A squad that has a 31 year old Modric as their midfield link with the attack.
I think they also need a new poster boy at Madrid to replace Ronaldo and if they think the market is crazy now wait until they can buy again in two years with another EPL tv deal on the horizon to see what crazy really looks like.
Good point.

gaucho_10

Every reported mentions that James is on sale list providing that some club is idiotic enough to give 80m euros or so. But it seems that this time, that isn't going to happen.

I think that if Pogba cost 80m instead of 120m, you would have definitely gone for him. Looking for Gomez at Valencia quite proves that. But for that price (120m) you sign a player only if it is a big upgrade, and why he is better than Kroos, the difference isn't that big. In addition, Kroos and Modric play well together.
I didn't come here to troll. I was trolled so I responded. Your post is serious and I actually agree with what you're saying. I think Pogba is too expensive for us, but for exactly the reason you mention (the upgrade is not worth the price). I just hope we don't sign Gomes for 60 mil €. That would be truly idiotic.

RedCurry

If we get Pogba, we will be installed as favourites for the title, and it'll be a shambles if we're not very serious contenders come April and May.

There's absolutely no underdog story or angle to play off with us having so much quality now either.

I'm just surprised you're so easily sated if it's only 1 league title, tbh. Did think I'd see some kind of haul (couple of leagues and a European Cup - not necessarily the CL - for example.)
I'd of course love for us to win all of that. But do I think we're break even if we win just 1 title? Yes I think so. Think of it this way, which club in the league wouldn't pay 100m right now if they were guaranteed a title win?

Pogba might not be a player that's going to drag us to a title now(maybe he is), but neither was De Gea when he signed and he became the best in his position within 3 seasons. Pogba is that kind of talent. Same with Martial. The fee is not for what you are getting now, but what we'll get in two to three years time.
DDG is the best goalkeeper in the world, but he isn't worth a 100m. If Real were going to get him and he wanted to move(like in Pogba's case apparently), we'd be lucky to get 50m. Martial? I think I wouldn't sell him for even a 100m. He can potentially give us 20+ goals for the next 10 years. Goals win matches and it's the most expensive commodity in football.