Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yeah was on the Juventuz forum earlier on. Seen a comment that Pogba should be paid in bananas. Only one poster called him a racist clown that he was. All you need to know about that forum.
All this makes me wonder how the Caf reacted when Ronaldo was sold back then.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

This is sooo disappointing. We're less than a day away from making it official and still nowhere close to 1,000 pages...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
When Ed says United can do things other clubs can't, he means it.

The Pogba deal makes sense from a footballing perspective and from a branding perspective, that has been discussed over and over in this thread.

But although many people seem to see the price as an overpayment for a player of Pogba's quality, the deal is a peach from the financial perspective. Players do not get paid for with all cash ufront, its usually done in several payments. By the time United start making the installment payments, the whole deal will have been paid off by the profits in shirt sales and other merchandising and marketing benefits that United & Pogba will pull from this deal. It's a beauty.

The main risk here from United's perspective is an injury to Pogba in his first 2 or 3 years, but they should be able to buy insurance to cover that risk. The risk will be higher for Pogba than for other midfielders because high profile signings usually suffer more fouls. Refs try to protect players like Ronaldo and Messi, but its harder for Refs to protect a high profile midfielder such as Pogba. So they must insure him.
The cost to United will be much lower than £92m very very quickly with all the shirt sales. Maybe after a couple of weeks week United will announce the initial shirt sales, and then we can talk about Pogba costing United £40m at that point.
Please, just stop.

Shimo

Isnt he wrong? He is saying Raoila is asking for 20m because he brokered the deal but in reality dont Juve legally owe him that amount due to the sell-on clause in his contract?
I don't think he is entirely wrong. Raiola has got to double dip on this because 1) Sale of Pogba to anyone he was due a share from it - even if that deal was brokered by some other agent 2) Because he is brokering the deal - a separate fee irrelevant of the share owed. Think in one of the many tweets about the fee, there has been an implication that Juve is going to pay Raiola something from the sale but, it sounds like Raiola will get bulk of his money from United as the broker. Probably trying to figure out these details is where there has been some back and forth in the last week and now it seems all settled.

Silas

The risk will be higher for Pogba than for other midfielders because high profile signings usually suffer more fouls. Refs try to protect players like Ronaldo and Messi, but its harder for Refs to protect a high profile midfielder such as Pogba. So they must insure him.
I fail to see the logic here.
Haha, why not again?

The cost to United will be much lower than £92m very very quickly with all the shirt sales. Maybe after a couple of weeks week United will announce the initial shirt sales, and then we can talk about Pogba costing United £40m at that point.
Wait you seriously think Pogba's going to let us sell an additional £52m worth of shirts? Within weeks? In fact, no, seeing as Adidas collect a huge amount of the revenue from shirt sales, you think Pogba alone is going to sell at least over £100m worth of shirts? You do realise over the past few years we've sold 1.5m shirts on average per year at approximately £50 and for your prediction to even have a chance of coming true Pogba's going to sell at least 2m shirts in two weeks? The feck? :lol:

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
People underestimate the effect of having one superstar in football

When I grew up I idolized Beckham, and he happens to play for United. Long after Beckham retires I'm still a United fans. So don't underestimate the effect of having one Pogba to our fan base in the grand scheme of things.

I may not bought a Beckham shirt at that time due to being a schoolboy, but I'm 35 years now and over the years I have contributed to the United brand. Now imagine how many people will start following United due to their favorite player joining us, and once you're converted it'll last a lifetime.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I don't think he is entirely wrong. Raiola has got to double dip on this because 1) Sale of Pogba to anyone he was due a share from it - even if that deal was brokered by some other agent 2) Because he is brokering the deal - a separate fee irrelevant of the share owed. Think in one of the many tweets about the fee, there has been an implication that Juve is going to pay Raiola something from the sale but, it sounds like Raiola will get bulk of his money from United as the broker. Probably trying to figure out these details is where there has been some back and forth in the last week and now it seems all settled.
No every agent gets a cut from the buying club when signing one of his players. Thats the normal agent fees/commission the buying club has to pay. But this clause is completely unrelated to us. The selling club has to pay the agent because of the clause but Juventus want us to increase our initial bid so they can use that to cover the 20m fee cost. So in essence Raoila will get two commissions - one from us, the normal agent fees for signing his player and one from Juventus, which isnt normal fees that they included voluntarily in the players contract.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I fail to see the logic here.

Wait you seriously think Pogba's going to let us sell an additional £52m worth of shirts? In fact, no, seeing as Adidas collect a huge amount of the revenue from shirt sales, you think Pogba alone is going to sell at least over £100m worth of shirts? You do realise over the past few years we've sold 1.5m shirts on average per year at approximately£50, so for your prediction to be true we're going to sell at least 3.5m shirts this year? The feck? :lol:
But one pogba fans converted into United fans can easilly gives much more than simply buying a shirt, over the years.

We don't get to where we are right now without the collective number of fans across the world who happens to start supporting United for whatever reason, and having a superstar is one of those.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Last year all our point of attacks were Martial. If teams doubled up on him and nullified him we struggled. Now with Zlatan, Mhyki and Pogba in the team and Rooney and Martial it is impossible to double up on anyone as we have to many. The amount of match winners we have is fantastic. I know this is pure greed but wouldn't mind a Mahrez in the mix as along with Rashford and Mata it would give us real quality competition.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Haha, why not again?

It's been debunked on here more times than the earth being flat. Of course it will only be a good thing for us commercially, but there's no chance we'll get anywhere near half the fee back.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No every agent gets a cut from the buying club when signing one of his players. Thats the normal agent fees/commission the buying club has to pay. But this clause is completely unrelated to us. The selling club has to pay the agent because of the clause but Juventus want us to increase our initial bid so they can use that to cover the 20m fee cost. So in essence Raoila will get two commissions - one from us, the normal agent fees for signing his player and one from Juventus, which isnt normal fees that they included voluntarily in the players contract.
I don't think so, I think it's just a normal clause which Juve don't want to pay.

It's like selling a house and the seller refuse to cover the house agent commission (aka being a cnut over it)

manunited1919

All of this is bonkers but the bolded parts especially.

I know with absolute certainty that the insurance part quoted is absolute nonsense. There are metrics and models at work to insure. None of these models have anything factored in in terms of a player being a midfielder or more high profile.

It blows my mind that people just randomly make things up to analyse the financial aspects of a football deal.
I'm not talking about the insurance models. You may be right that they make no allowance for a player being at higher risk if they are are midfielder or more high profile. But just because these factors are not in the models doesn't mean they don't exist.

You just need to watch a game from Barsa, or Real Madrid, and see how many fouls are made against Ronaldo and Messi. Anyone who has watched them will know they are fouled much more than lower profile players. That's part of the reason they go down easily, possibly to protect themselves.

As for midfielders suffering more fouls, this is because they are in that part of the pitch where more battles for ball control take place. Plus, opponents will not think twice about fouling or not when they are 40yards from goal, versus when they are in the penalty area.

So perhaps you know with absolute certainty how insurance models work. But that does not mean what I was saying is bonkers.

Reactions: Sultan

RDCR07

I don't think so, I think it's just a normal clause which Juve don't want to pay.

It's like selling a house and the seller refuse to cover the house agent commission (aka being a cnut over it)
I dont think its normal because this clause isnt there in every contract. If this clause was there then every time a club sells a player they have to pay the agent. That doesnt happen. This is a special situation. Thats why the complication.

manunited1919

It's been debunked on here more times than the earth being flat. Of course it will only be a good thing for us commercially, but there's no chance we'll get anywhere near half the fee back.
Google Real Madrid have sold over a million Cristiano Ronaldo shirts. Covered their fee. I remember hearing those news soon after CR7 was sold to them.

BTW, this is my last post, so you all get your wish for me to stop. I hope at least you saw some sense in what I was saying.

Unlikely lad

Google Real Madrid have sold over a million Cristiano Ronaldo shirts. Covered their fee. I remember hearing those news soon after CR7 was sold to them.

BTW, this is my last post, so you all get your wish for me to stop. I hope at least you saw some sense in what I was saying.
:lol:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
All this makes me wonder how the Caf reacted when Ronaldo was sold back then.
I wasn't around for that one, but the De Gea thread was not very classy when it looked certain he was going. Plenty were wishing that his career bombs, with some wishing serious injury on him.

Juventuz getting a bit racist can't be justified, but the reaction in general is par for the course.

Bwuk

I move house today, hoping by the time I'm done faffing around with sofas etc he'll be signed!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Sounds legit because everyone knows manufacturing, material, distribution, and marketing costs zero. And we sure as hell know Adidas won't be getting a portion of that. No need to let pesky contracts get in the way of rampant profits.

jungledrums

I'm even bored typing this post myself, but I'll bite. Adidas take the vast majority of shirt sales. Literally nothing more needs to be said, but I hope you in fact will see sense in what everyone else is saying.
"No club has ever directly recouped a player’s transfer fee through shirt sales. Adidas, Nike, Puma, and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard... at best, United are likely to see around £3 million in additional revenue".

Thanks to whoever initially posted this link, hell of a find. http://thesetpieces.com/features/transfer-window-myth-busting/#ixzz4FlsvvP7E
Edit: CS@SG gets the credit.

ravi2

Just curious, how old are you?

Why don't you try and work it out for yourself instead of just assuming some random article is true? Unless Madrid are selling every shirt for 80 each AND manufacturing and selling them for free without any involvement from Adidas how could it possibly be true.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets

We won't cover Pogba's fee with shirt sales but we do get a good percentage of shirt sales with the adidas deal. The nike deal was fixed.

manunited1919

Just curious, how old are you?
Old enough to pay myself and a family member round trip fares from the states to watch Manchester United games at Old Trafford a couple of times a year. The last time I stayed at the Deansgate Hilton I actually had the pleasure of riding the elevator with Mourinho and his Real Madrid staff from the 8th floor to the 2nd floor. It was great to be with him face to face, you should have seen the look on his face when he saw me get into the elevator in my United kit.

And you, how old are you?

RDCR07

Old enough to pay myself and a family member round trip fares from the states to watch Manchester United games at Old Trafford a couple of times a year. The last time I stayed at the Deansgate Hilton I actually had the pleasure of riding the elevator with Mourinho and his Real Madrid staff from the 8th floor to the 2nd floor. It was great to be with him face to face, you should have seen the look on his face when he saw me get into the elevator in my United kit.
:lol:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

On what planet does the seller refuse to cover the agents commission? They engaged the agent to sell the house! This is completely different.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora

And you, how old are you?
:lol::lol:

Womp

idiot
Big bad Juventus, huge club, can't keep hold of one of their best players to a club with no Champions League. :( Seriously though, I actually like Juve as a club, some of their fans look right tits though.

On a more important note, I wonder how we plan on using Pogba. If we're going to play 2 in the middle which I believe, who will provide the defensive cover?

Seven Seas Sardines

People underestimate the effect of having one superstar in football

When I grew up I idolized Beckham, and he happens to play for United. Long after Beckham retires I'm still a United fans. So don't underestimate the effect of having one Pogba to our fan base in the grand scheme of things.

I may not bought a Beckham shirt at that time due to being a schoolboy
, but I'm 35 years now and over the years I have contributed to the United brand. Now imagine how many people will start following United due to their favorite player joining us, and once you're converted it'll last a lifetime.
Got my Cantona shirt when I was 7! Was a copy though.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So it's not even a world record after all things considered. 92m total fees with 84m to Juventus and 8m to Raiola.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Anyone who doesn't fear Madrid in the transfer market is a slow learner.
Granted, this deal has gone our way (phew!), but the fear that Madrid might've hijacked the deal was understandable.
We have been electrocuted by that lever more than once, and it's not a pleasant feeling. It goes without saying that many refuse to touch it again.

Anyway, Pogba is ours! And the assumption that Madrid also wanted him is hopefully true, because we get to say "nah nah nah nah nah"!