g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Paul Pogba | Undergoing Medical | Helping out the Laundry Ladies

Do you want Pogba for £100 million?

• Total voters

Treble

My final words here for now. I will post again only if we (fail to) sign him. There is always hope though. The true transfer muppets should be optimistic.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I'm not concerning myself with the price of a player. If he's good enough and will improve our team then feck it we should go for him. Pogba is a world class player at the age of 23. His potential is crazy.

CM

It really feels like groundhog day with Pogba, the same shit is getting regurgitated by various media outlets every few hours.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
It really feels like groundhog day with Pogba, the same shit is getting regurgitated by various media outlets every few hours.

cyberman

I answerd it, read above. It makes perfect sense for them to wait another year also because they do not need him that much now, Modric and Iniesta are still good, next summer they will be 32-33 though and both clubs may need new players in midfield.
Pogba and Raiola have already shown that they don't like to wait around though. That's the whole reason he left United.
If Madrid don't sign Pogba they will sign Kante and are eying up Alaba. That midfield will be well stocked.
Barca can't afford him. They have a transfer budget of 60m euros and need to renew both Messi and Suarez.
Imo they will look internally to help Iniesta. More to rest him up and select his games better. Iniesta will never leave and Pogba wouldn't join to be rotated. That 100m would be better used elsewhere for a few seasons yet.

red thru&thru

Taking Juve off of his profiles, is a big deal. Timing of it is bizarre as it's on a day he should be concentrating on a QF match for his country.

Maybe it's a tactic to force a move away from Juve.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Taking Juve off of his profiles, is a big deal. Timing of it is bizarre as it's on a day he should be concentrating on a QF match for his country.

Maybe it's a tactic to force a move away from Juve.
Wait did he doe this? I missed that

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Pogba(although I don't think he deserves that high fee) is much better than either of your first team midfielders. What's the guarantee Alli or Dembele will be good again this season? Or Kane given he looked like a pub player at the EURO's.

It's like saying Martial had a great season for United this year, Messi won't be an automatic starter because of that.
You're right, there are no guarantees ... thus Pogba should not (in this hypothetical scenario) be guaranteed an automatic starting slot in the Spurs midfield ... and I doubt that he would be given such a guarantee under Pochettino. The fact that some posters seem to find this proposition outrageous says a lot about their infatuation with big money, big name signings.

And besides, Pogba, like any incoming player from the Italian league, would still need to show that he's "much better" than Dembele or Alli when it comes to the Prem.

pascell

There's a talk on social media this morning that Pogba unfollowed Juventus on Twitter and Instagram and removed "Juventus player" line from his Twitter bio.

Checked it, on his Twitter profile he's only "member of France national team". But obviously, can't prove now that he had any Juventus reference there earlier.

On his Instagram profile, he followed many United players recently (Depay, Januzaj, etc).

Make of that what you want...
He was pictured with Memphis in Ibiza last summer, not sure if it was Twitter or Instagram Memphis posted it on.

Cassidy

You're right, there are no guarantees ... thus Pogba should not (in this hypothetical scenario) be guaranteed an automatic starting slot in the Spurs midfield ... and I doubt that he would be given such a guarantee under Pochettino. The fact that some posters seem to find this proposition outrageous says a lot about their infatuation with big money, big name signings.

And besides, Pogba, like any incoming player from the Italian league, would still need to show that he's "much better" than Dembele or Alli when it comes to the Prem.
I guess if you signed Messi, he would also need to show he was much better than your incumbent in the prem...
I think the point people are making is that Pogba is good enough to displace those 2 players.

red thru&thru

Putting playing ability aside, he would be a guaranteed starter just for his mentality alone! You guys showed last season when the pressure was on, your players crumbled. Pogba is a winner, he knows how to win things. Your current midfield don't!

Enigma_87

You know who

He has shown it in Europe. He'll be an automatic starter because his peak level is couple of levels above both Alli and Dembele.

Playing in the Italian league makes no difference. He is much better than Dembele and Alli, anyone who followed those 3 occassionaly can tell the difference.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I guess if you signed Messi, he would also need to show he was much better than your incumbent in the prem...
I think the point people are making is that Pogba is good enough to displace those 2 players.
There are exceptions to every rule, including Messi and a few others. Pogba isn't in that bracket.

izec

Pogba is still so young, he has no hurry to go to Real or Barca. He could come to the BPL, win a few titles with us under Mou while earning good money, and then move to Spain in a few years to complete his trophy haul, like so many players did before him.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Hopefully France get knocked out tonight and Pogba has a stinker. Then Perez turns his gaze lovingly towards Gylfi Sigurdsson and we wrap up Pogba's transfer by Tuesday.

AndyJ1985

There are exceptions to every rule, including Messi and a few others. Pogba isn't in that bracket.
There are literally dozens upon dozens of players who would be guaranteed starters at Spurs, and Pogba certainly is in that bracket. But you needn't worry because none of those players would join you in the first place, which is perhaps why you're so bitter about the prospect of United signing him.

cyberman

So a player has to be Messi to be an exception to get into the Spurs side?
For Bayern etc I could see. But Spurs?

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
I'd like to see Pogba again in United shirt but not for the cited amount of money. There's 99% chance he won't live up to that price tag.

There are many talented players on transfer market, we don't have to and IMO shouldn't be breaking world records for the most shining toy at a time.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Pogba to United makes a whole lot of sense.
I don't even think if the transfer was to happen, it would be over 80m to be honest. Paper talk has taken a figure and run with it.

As for Glaston talking about the money aspect. Our incomes absolutely dwarfs that of Tottenhams, so we can put that money into one player and still buy others.
Is he worth the money quoted? Maybe, maybe not, but is he worth it to strengthen United's midfield? Absolutely.

Was Buffon worth the fee when he moved to juventus. A keeper at over 30m was an absolute shock.....15 years later, it looks a bargain.
If we paid 80m for Pogba and he lasts 8 years, 10m a year, performing at his level and potential to improve wouldn't be that much.
In 4 years time, if Real decide they want him, We'd more than likely profit.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As to whether Pogba dreams to play for Barca/Real, well, even Bale was dreaming about that. You must be sort of a very strange guy not to, because, let's face it for a moment, Real and Barca are the pinnacle of world football and La Liga is a better league than the EPL for super stars: the likes of Messi, Suarez, Neymar, Ronaldo, Iniesta, Modric, Bale etc. Take off for a moment the rosy tinted glasses and see reality for what ot is. Currently, United are down the pecking order and Pogba will come here only if the very best teams do not want him. It's that simple.
It was only a year ago that Raiola actually talked about the Pogba to Real rumours, and he was far from complimentary towards Real. Talked about the lack of stability, with them always changing managers and feeling the need to bring in the 'next big thing' and then getting rid of them a few years later. Hardly the comments of an agent who's client 'dreams' of signing for that club.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Pogba doesn't want to join them. Zidane coming in and making it feel more personal might have swayed his thinking. But this rubbish about Real and Barca being the centre of the universe and every single player in the world dreaming of playing for them is ridiculous. Is it really that hard to think that some players and agents see Real the same way as many fans do?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
We're all here talking about whether Pogba is overrated or not while the real issue in this thread is how this Glaston fellow is overrating Spurs and its players :lol:

Lentwood

Money is irrelevant for elite clubs. If we want to be/remain an Elite club, you have to pay what it costs to sign the players that improve your side.

We haven't done that for a number of years, instead shopping around in the £20-30m price range and to some extent going for quantity over quality because we had an entire squad to rebuild

We should now be in a position post-van Gaal were we are stable and have a core of good players who if they remain fit are good enough to finish top 4. If we want to go on and win titles we now need to add the x-factor players

The only question we should EVER ask when looking to sign a player is "do they improve our starting XI?" - if the answer is yes the cost is almost entirely redundant

Just to add, quote by Brian Clough - "I never signed a player unless I genuinely believed that they could go on to be the best player in my side"

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
So a player has to be Messi to be an exception to get into the Spurs side?
For Bayern etc I could see. But Spurs?
That's not what I said (and nor did I limit it to just Messi). I wasn't talking about getting into the Spurs side, I was talking about being offered a guaranteed starting slot. Anyhow, I won't comment further about Pogba in relation to Spurs - not that I broached the subject in the first place - as it's not the place.

Concerning the mooted £100m, IMO you only have to see the sum paid by RM for Bale to see how ridiculous £100m for Pogba would be. Bale at that time had had a huge impact on the world of football, with a large number of match-winning performances ... taking games by the scruff of the neck, with many breath-taking displays of individual brilliance, drive and sheer will to win. Pogba has shown nothing like the same level of talent, not by a long chalk.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
That's not what I said (and nor did I limit it to just Messi). I wasn't talking about getting into the Spurs side, I was talking about being offered a guaranteed starting slot. Anyhow, I won't comment further about Pogba in relation to Spurs - not that I broached the subject in the first place - as it's not the place.

Concerning the mooted £100m, IMO you only have to see the sum paid by RM for Bale to see how ridiculous £100m for Pogba would be. Bale at that time had had a huge impact on the world of football, with a large number of match-winning performances ... taking games by the scruff of the neck, with many breath-taking displays of individual brilliance, drive and sheer will to win. Pogba has shown nothing like the same level of talent, not by a long chalk.

Prices change though. In today's market you wouldn't get Bale for anywhere near that fee.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Money is irrelevant for elite clubs. If we want to be/remain an Elite club, you have to pay what it costs to sign the players that improve your side.

We haven't done that for a number of years, instead shopping around in the £20-30m price range and to some extent going for quantity over quality because we had an entire squad to rebuild

We should now be in a position post-van Gaal were we are stable and have a core of good players who if they remain fit are good enough to finish top 4. If we want to go on and win titles we now need to add the x-factor players

The only question we should EVER ask when looking to sign a player is "do they improve our starting XI?" - if the answer is yes the cost is almost entirely redundant

Just to add, quote by Brian Clough - "I never signed a player unless I genuinely believed that they could go on to be the best player in my side"
Bingo.

cyberman

Pogba just turned 23. What was Bale doing when he just turned 23?
You have to remember Pogba has forged this reputation in one of the best midfields in world football, in the most tactical league in world football. Not just that but to stand out in the midfield as well.
Potential is priced into this. How much is Kane and Alli worth to Spurs? United wouldn't sell Martial for much less even though right now he isnt a huge transfer fee player.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
You have to remember Pogba has forged this reputation in one of the best midfields in world football, in the most tactical league in world football. Not just that but to stand out in the midfield as well.
To be fair, I think Bale moved to Real at the age of 23

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think Bale was still 23/24 when he lit up the league before joining Real that season, Glaston is right, as dirty as it makes me feel to say.

SirScholes

Easy to say now, but he was no common name. Far from it. He was much less known than Benzema for example while at Lyon.
Not really the point tho, 18yr in champs league will be known to any half decent scout, but like I say the point is 80+ mil on pogba is mental, you could pretty much your pick of Europe for that much.
He has so much to learn, and thinks he is already Mr Big like depay in that respect.
He seems to play for himself and for a cm that isn't an endearing quality

Cassidy

I think Bale was still 23/24 when he lit up the league before joining Real that season, Glaston is right, as dirty as it makes me feel to say.
You think Pogba wouldn't be a guaranteed starter at Spurs?

cyberman

Yes but my point is Pogba has been doing it for 4 years since he was 18. What was Bales career telling us during that period?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Attackers are mature sooner than midfielders and midfielders are mature sooner than defenders.

red thru&thru

Juve were near relegation in 1st half of season. They ended up winning the league. Pogba was VERY central to that run of record winning games.

As I mentioned in a post before, Pogba has the winning mentality as he has won. Bale never won anything that season before he went to Real. So Bale played real well but won nothing. Pogba played really well, won a title.

Cassidy

Juve were near relegation in 1st half of season. They ended up winning the league. Pogba was VERY central to that run of record winning games.

As I mentioned in a post before, Pogba has the winning mentality as he has won. Bale never won anything that season before he went to Real. So Bale played real well but won nothing. Pogba played really well, won a title.
Multiple tittles now and played in the UCL final as well.

Redguern

Pogba at £100m makes sense but probably only for United because:
- Statement signing, boosting fans and sponsors alike and giving the squad a buzz too...
- No fear of a missed season from acclimatisation - in Manchester he can settle in quickly, knowing the set-up, some of the squad and the town and he has the confidence to wear a crazy price tag
- Gives midfield drive and goals it has been lacking, his hunger and will to win just fits our needs perfectly.
- Price is high but he is young and high profile: The new Prem TV deal has inflated everything for English clubs by 25% and there's always the United premium, which comes with the territory of being one of the wealthiest clubs in the world. Ignore the fact he was here and left for free - sunk costs are just that and should be ignored when considering an investment decision.

This is one for the next 10 years, like Fergie signing Keano from Forest - come back Paul, it's time!

RedRover

OK, clutch at straws as long as you want.

I'm all for signing Pogba, I like him and we should tryto get him. But it won't happen.
How am I clutching at straws?

He might not come here, frankly I'm not that bothered. But the point remains that if he's offered a £50 million plus contract to play in the PL, for a top manager and reap all the rewards that would bring as a world record signing - then he'd need to think very carefully indeed before turning it down. United may be the only game in town for him this summer, they may pay him loads more than other clubs. Those other clubs may never come in for him again if injury or poor form come into the equation. That's not speculation - it's a sensible assessment of the choice he'd have to make.

I'll tell you a fact - you don't know any better than anyone else whether he'd be happy to come here. And frankly, United will know long before any offers are made if its a realistic possibility - especially since his agent has sold two players to us in the last week. If it's a non-starter because he's not interested then that'll be obvious now.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Attackers are mature sooner than midfielders and midfielders are mature sooner than defenders.
Yea fair enough, though I don't think every case is that linear, but don't you think we're paying about... 50mill worth for Pogbas future potential (Which he may not fulfill) rather than the player he is now? whereas with a Bale/Suarez etc... they were already elite game-changing players for that type of fee?
For me.. currently, Pogba isn't near that class, thats why the fee seems particuarly outrageous.