View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Kag

He does a lot of noticeable good work which tends to stick out, but his positioning needs an exceptional amount of work. He's all over the place.

Steven Seagull

He's still mental. That reverse pass he tried which lead to their chance, what was he trying to do? Looked like he was going for a 1-2 to set himself up for a counter attack. He'd just made a nice interception as well, needs to calm down.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's forever going to get injured isn't he?

Has the IQ of a plank of wood which doesn't help.

ZDwyr

These injuries are really really frustrating. Hope he isn't out for long.

ricky-romeo

5 decent games and then gets injured and out for about 2 months. the story of phil jones.

no doubt he got what it takes to be a great player. probably world class even. but if he keeps on getting injured after a few run of games, surely this would not help him progress much.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Will be a real shame to see him miss out through injury, the timing of Rojo's addition is a good one though.

Shark

@NotShark
2 months is it? Sorry to hear that for the lad, but this is becoming a joke if it hasn't already. What hope do we have at this rate? Wouldn't be surprised to see Evans and Smalling follow him soon and Rafa is only getting back..

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
He was alright. Struggling to see a top quality centre back in him though. If he becomes as good as Cahill I'll be happy.

Saxo

How can we consistently have so many injury-plagued players for such a long time? This is beyond ridiculous. Are they not being taken care of properly or something? This long ago got to the point where it can't possibly be incidental.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Gaaaaaaah! This is so frustrating.

Been possibly our best player so far this season (not saying much I know) and now out for 2 months again?!

Does this mean we're more likely to switch from a back 3 now?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
2 months is it? Sorry to hear that for the lad, but this is becoming a joke if it hasn't already. What hope do we have at this rate? Wouldn't be surprised to see Evans and Smalling follow him soon and Rafa is only getting back..
If Evans, Smalling and Rafael are fit to play the QPR game, then at least one will have become injured by Everton at the latest. The question really is how long until Rojo and Blind become part of the revolving door to the injury room :annoyed:

Dazzmondo

It looks like Blackett will end up getting the most appearances out of our cbs this season. Don't think many would have predicted that at the beginning of the season. Great for his development, but terrible for Jones who's had a great start to the season. Any news if Smalling will be back for the QPR game?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It was definitely hamstring related, he stretched it when trying to volley that corner in the second half.

I would be amazed if it was 2 months out though, he didn't tear his hamstring just over pulled it. I would think even if it was a small tear, he should be out for 1 month maximum. Pain in the ass that is though, With Smalling out too, I suppose a back 4 will be a must now.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was definitely hamstring related, he stretched it when trying to volley that corner in the second half.

I would be amazed if it was 2 months out though, he didn't tear his hamstring just over pulled it. I would think even if it was a small tear, he should be out for 1 month maximum. Pain in the ass that is though, With Smalling out too, I suppose a back 4 will be a must now.
Could even be a cramp. Same thing Mata picked up in the last game and he's fine now.

"Pain in the ass" is right, by the way. That's the part of his anatomy he was holding immediately after he injured himself.

Kag

I remember Gareth Bale going off injured once, hobbling a fair bit more than Jones, and his hamstring looked as good as new the week after. We'll just have to wait and see. Either way, I still hope we'll be reverting back to a four man defence and at least Rafa, Evans, Rojo and Shaw are now fit.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Could even be a cramp. Same thing Mata picked up in the last game and he's fine now.

"Pain in the ass" is right, by the way. That's the part of his anatomy he was holding immediately after he injured himself.
Let's hope so, but I think he would have been trying to stretch it out more if it was cramp. I suppose it's a good sign though he didn't sub himself straight away, as most players know once you get a twinge you should stop ASAP.

RU Devil

He was alright. Struggling to see a top quality centre back in him though. If he becomes as good as Cahill I'll be happy.
Same here. Great all-action type player, but I just don't see him being the heir to Vidic/Rio, especially as his action tends to result in injuries that didn't happen to the above. Honestly think he's better suited to being a CDM, since he tends to go far afield at times, plus he gets caught out vs. forwards with better or more cultured movement. Tend to think Smalling & Evans read the game better. TBF, I'm not even sure he'd be good enough to be a CDM for us.

Still, hope he gets better soon. Shame about his fragility. Needs to kick on now, or he'll lose PT and the confidence of LVG. Honestly could see him get passed over & moved on within the next year or so, especially if someone like Hummels gets brought in.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Any latest news on his injury? How long he is going to be out? I mean concrete news, not random predictions.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It's the way it's going to be. Jones, Smalling and Evans are all injury prone. We all know that. The situation won't improve as they get older and it's a waste of time persevering with the idea that any of them are long term starting XI prospects.

ravelston

One throw away comment by a poster and suddenly he's going to be out for 2 months. Amazing.

On the England game, McNulty is an ass who has had it in for Jones and Smalling for a couple of years. Jones had an excellent game overall - one misplaced pass at close quarters that led to a chance and the "caught out of position" incident which was nothing of the sort. In reality it was a very good piece of defending.

Triple.Threat

two-three weeks according to the Dailymail. The boy doesn't seem to stay fit, he should have learned how to protect himself by now.

ZDwyr

It'd be a bad tendon damage hamstring if it is two months I would think? Hopefully LvG clarifies this soon though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
two-three weeks according to the Dailymail. The boy doesn't seem to stay fit, he should have learned how to protect himself by now.
To be fair it is his first injury in ages. He's had a decent run of games methinks.

Speedicut75

To be fair it is his first injury in ages. He's had a decent run of games methinks.
He was out for an age at the close of last season, and only just made it, over the summer, into the WC squad. We've only had a couple of games at the beginning of this season and he's out again.
He probably has a better record with injuries than our other two centre halves, but given their propensity for injury that really doesn't say much.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Disappointing news. He's been our best defender so far and I was hoping he'd get a run of games at CB.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Disappointing news. He's been our best defender so far and I was hoping he'd get a run of games at CB.
Me too. Such a shame. All the potential in the world isn't enough if you're sidelined on a regular basis. :(

Unfortunately with the way things are shaping up underperformers will be shifted out of Old Trafford. If Phil doesn't shape up soon, Van Gaal might bring a genuinely world-class alternative to supercede him.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
3-4 weeks :( fecking Hodgson
Nothing to do with Hodgson.

Jones has a history of being injured and he's been injured plenty of times playing for United as well.

Jones, Evans, Smalling and Rafael can not be relied upon to give you an injury free season. We already knew this.

Maroo

Jones has a history of being injured and he's been injured plenty of times playing for United as well.

Jones, Evans, Smalling and Rafael can not be relied upon to give you an injury free season. We already knew this.
Unfortunately, even Luke Shaw has joined that list!

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
If you ask Jones two questions, play like Thiago Silva for a match or three, or stay fit for a month or two he would have far far more problems with the latter, he's often really good but he cant keep that level simply because all his injuries, its frustrating and if it keeps on we should sell him.

acnumber9

We can blame Hodgson for keeping him on for about 15 minutes after he first got injured mind you.