View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

RedStarUnited

He must be more pissed off than we are about this to be fair. But something needs to be done. Giggs needs to raise it up to LVG.

acnumber9

Very hard for a manager to intervene when a player tries to run off a niggle.
It's very easy really. The player can't do anything if his number is held up on the board. I don't think any manager would've done much different though. Manchester United are not his concern after all.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's very easy really. The player can't do anything if his number is held up on the board. I don't think any manager would've done much different though. Manchester United are not his concern after all.
I've seen Fergie let Manchester United players hobble round with obvious injuries for ages, though. From the sidelines looking on it's impossible to tell a touch of cramp, or a bit of a dead leg from a torn muscle. Immediately after it happened, I was wondering if maybe Jones had got a knee to the arse, the way he was holding it. You have to rely on the player being sensible enough to let them know he can't continue or at least sit down and get properly assessed by the physio. Typical of Jones to try and run off what was obviously a more serious injury than he thought. Too brave for his own good.

Trizy

Poor Jones.. just imagine how good him and Rafael could become if they weren't plagued by injuries.

Moonred

Is jones actually awkward in his technique which causes injuries so often? Even if it's not always long term and fast recovery, he always seems to suffer from them.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just when he started to get a run of games and finding some form, he gets injured. Typical really. Just hope he can pick up where he left off when he gets back.

Get well soon, Jonesy!

Shurou

I was thinking Jones was lasting too long without being injured.

tom porter

He needs to stop getting injured every 2-3 weeks so he can form an established partnership with one of our 3 cb's and iron out the defensive errors and poor positioning that plague his game. I'm just frustrated by how much his progress has stalled the last 18 months.

fallengt

Jones tended to injure himself after 2-3 good performances, this time he made it >1 months. Progression !!11

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He needs to stop getting injured every 2-3 weeks so he can form an established partnership with one of our 3 cb's and iron out the defensive errors and poor positioning that plague his game. I'm just frustrated by how much his progress has stalled the last 18 months.
I'm wondering, how many of our players have actually improved since SAF left? Besides de Gea? I even think Januzaj isnt much better at the moment than he was when he broke into the first team/

togg

He's really turning into a sick note. His hamstring probably contorts the same way as his face does whenever he goes into a tackle. He's doing something that isn't working...not sure what mind...but if it continues you can't put him down as a regular in the future..because he won't be regular...

krazyrobus

Wes Brown 2. Too hyped up and therefore too reckless when going into tackles and thus invariably gets injuries. It's even worse for Jones because his tackling technique is terrible.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Clearly they are both very talented but something clearly needs to change in regards to Jones' and Rafael's injuries. Is it because they played so many games at a very young age at the highest level?

Messi and Giggs were injury prone too when they were young. There are other examples like Varane, Thiago, Aguero and Wilshere. So it's not really necessarily limited to United, but really frustrating as everytime the players pick up form they seem to get injured again and are then not just ruled out for a week, but usually various months!

Sam

What a massive surprise, Phil Jones being injured is as predictable as night turning into day.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
If he has to retire from too many concussions, I could really see him hosting a nature show in New Zealand. Phil Jones on safari fighting rhinos and provoking whales into confrontations, that sort of thing. It would be so easy to write the script and he would probably be safer amongst predators than in places like a crowded penalty box.

ZDwyr

It's really bad that he is out. Like really bad. I don't care about our 'new and improved' attack that much. They'll probably be great, but our defence (which was weak) has gotten a lot weaker with Jones out. We'll be conceding a few goals until we get the defence settled.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
We desperately need him back. If not for the only reason that he isn't soft as shit and won't get pushed around.

Bojan11

If we start him next week then old Woy will pick him for England the next week.

ThanksBoss26

When will he be back. Our only defender with some leadership.
I hope they prove me very wrong, but there's no way Evans and Smalling will ever become the 'leader' of our defence in my opinion. Squad players capable of some very good games, yes, they've proven they can be that but they're just not capable of any more in my opinion.

At 22 I haven't given up on Jones being able to become that leader. Looking from a distance, he has far more skills in this area than the other two, but still is injury prone and capable of some poor decision making himself.

But at the moment, if he's fit, he plays. We really need him to fulfill his potential.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I would have been a lot happier if it had been Phil Jones coming on for Evans than Smalling. At least he would have tried to organise the defence a bit more. He is more of a leader.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I hope they prove me very wrong, but there's no way Evans and Smalling will ever become the 'leader' of our defence in my opinion. Squad players capable of some very good games, yes, they've proven they can be that but they're just not capable of any more in my opinion.

At 22 I haven't given up on Jones being able to become that leader. Looking from a distance, he has far more skills in this area than the other two, but still is injury prone and capable of some poor decision making himself.

But at the moment, if he's fit, he plays. We really need him to fulfill his potential.
The injuries are the only thing holding the lad back, he has the talent, but his progress is being held back. It's either injuries to himself or elsewhere in the team, so he get shunted out to RB or midfield.

Walters_19_MuFc

Most people talking about the lack of a leader in our back, but I honestly feel Jones can step up and be that guy for us. He had a great start to the season, it was just a pity he picked up an injury.

Once he's back, I really hope he can stay fit, because like I said, I think he could really step up for us this season.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Most people talking about the lack of a leader in our back, but I honestly feel Jones can step up and be that guy for us. He had a great start to the season, it was just a pity he picked up an injury.

Once he's back, I really hope he can stay fit, because like I said, I think he could really step up for us this season.
I agree. I think he has stepped up alot this season already. Our best defender by a distance. I really want him to stay fit and establish himself for club and country. I don't doubt his ability one bit, but he just can't get a run of games, which is a shame.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Is he necessarily better than Smalling/Rojo/Evans?

I think the thing he has, that they don't is leadership, I see that bit extra from him, perhaps it's his Stamina but I do think if he sorts himself out this season, as he is a lot younger than Smalling, Rojo & Evans, he will become 1st choice still, it will be Jones & 1, it's just how long before that happens...

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is he necessarily better than Smalling/Rojo/Evans?

I think the thing he has, that they don't is leadership, I see that bit extra from him, perhaps it's his Stamina but I do think if he sorts himself out this season, as he is a lot younger than Smalling, Rojo & Evans, he will become 1st choice still, it will be Jones & 1, it's just how long before that happens...
He has been, so far this season.

Devil may care

If he's fit enough to train fully all week then I am sure he'll start against Everton, but LvG should have a word with Hodgson about not playing him for England as another 2 matches in quick succession is not ideal, and England can surely beat Estonia and San Marino without him.

Kag

Good to know we've got another defender on the way back. I'd throw him straight in at the weekend.