View full 2014-15 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Sam

He's nothing more then your average, physically strong, English centre back. See Shawcross.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Aye, I think Raf should have been more aware, but given he was at similar depth to Rojo I have to place the majority of the blame on Jones.
Disagree
Jones didn't do well, but Rafael was in no mans land playing Berahino on

Ekeke

He's an impetuous defender prone to making a bad call. Its nothing that can't be ironed out over time and as he matures, but there are also no guarantees he will fix it. He's always attracted towards the ball thinking he can always nick it away and when it works, its good play. But its risky always going for it and he's committed and not won the ball plenty of times this season leaving us exposed at the back.

Probably the worst thing you can possibly do is put someone just like himself with that same issue next to him. Someone like Rojo...

Sir A1ex

The goal was more Rafa's fault than anybody, but other than that Rafa was class. Unlike Jones who was gash and gave away a penalty to boot.

Let's hope it was just rustiness, was very good before he was injured.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
Disagree
Jones didn't do well, but Rafael was in no mans land playing Berahino on
I've made the point though that even if Rafael is holding the line, Berahino has a ridiculous amount of space in behind Jones. Essentially, no matter where Rafael stand Berahino has space once he stays onside.

footballgirl07

When they replayed the second goal and highlighted him and Rojo, I just don't understand why Jones felt the need to rush out towards the ball. Left a huge gap behind and easy space for Beharinho. The gaps between our center halves and full backs on both sides is too big and was shown again tonight.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
And next week he'll be good again. He hasn't played in a red shirt for nearly two months. If it wasn't for injuries galore he wouldn't have played tonight.

He was poor, but under the circumstances you can see why.

askabob

His defensive positioning (or lack thereof) often puts us in a lot of trouble. But it's not this part of his game that is infuriating. Why does he insist on hitting diagonal 40 yard long balls every time he has the ball? He isn't Scholes! There were so many times in the game where he hit it to an opposition or hoofed it out of play instead of playing the simple pass to one of our midfielders crying out for it!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
How did I thought he can be proper replacement for Rio or Vidic is beyond my feckin mental reach right now.

Same shit over and over and over again.

binary bot
Can be cut some slack as he's just back from injury but he was really bad tonight. So slow on the ball compared to everyone else, and just being brainless when he could've gifted them a penalty.

Sam

When they replayed the second goal and highlighted him and Rojo, I just don't understand why Jones felt the need to rush out towards the ball. Left a huge gap behind and easy space for Beharinho. The gaps between our center halves and full backs on both sides is too big and was shown again tonight.
Because he's a brainless idiot who has all the subtlety of a rampaging rhino.

OneUnited24

Where the feck did he go for the second goal?
Well he had to press their midfield as no one was, if anything i think Rojo should have moved over to cover him. Rafael clearly had an eye on their winger

Kag

Hang on, so Rafael is in line with two of our three other defenders, gave or take a few feet, and he's mostly to blame according to some here? No chance.

If Jones stands his ground like any defender other than David Luiz would do then that goal doesn't happen. It was insanely stupid.

Unless people think that we should be playing such a high defensive line like that ordinarily.

JoaquinJoaquin

The old injury excuse is well and truly in force it seems, Injured or not the fact he didn't even attempt to track back for that second goal is complete bad defending, simple as

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've made the point though that even if Rafael is holding the line, Berahino has a ridiculous amount of space in behind Jones. Essentially, no matter where Rafael stand Berahino has space once he stays onside.
Berahino would be off if Rafael stepped up though. I agree Jones isn't blameless, but I think the majority of blame lays with Rafael.

El Zoido

This is because he's been used as a utility player during his time here. He hasn't had the development a centre half should have and we saw that tonight.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It wasn't Rafa's fault. It's the CBs job to take care of such a run Rafa was rather outside to prevent a winger coming into play

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Jones, Young, Valencia, the Pogba 'sale'... Fergie has had a mare.

Jones future England captain my arse.

justboy68

I couldn't believe what I was seeing when Jones just decided to go walkabout for that goal. I understand that there was a bit of a need for closing down the midfielder but he was the last person who should have taken up that task, considering he was marking the only bloody player they had ahead of the ball. It was utterly moronic.

NinjaFletch

He's had one bad game after being our player of the month before getting injured and he's back to being shite again.

Good old Caf.

DevilRed

No one person was to blame for that second goal. It pretty much sums up that we still aren't a cohesive unit at the back yet. There is no understanding between Rojo and Jones (how can there be when its their first match together!). It cost us 3 points today.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not wanting to jump aboard the criticism of him on his first game back after injury but....

For a guy who is supposed to have the potential to be a world class CB he isn't really all that good, is he? I mean if you compare him to some like Varane, for example, and he looks far more likely to end up a decent squad player than an outstanding CB.

Still only 21 so might develop still but he has an awful lot of developing to do and we're sort of depending on him right now, so yeah...

Like I said, that's less about today's performance and more a general impression of him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It wasn't Rafa's fault. It's the CBs job to take care of such a run Rafa was rather outside to prevent a winger coming into play
It's also the fullback's responsibility to keep in line with the rest of the defence. If he was in line with Shaw and Rojo, Berahino is offside.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Its his first game back, first game with rojo and he's shite? Out of the three of Smalling, Evans and him, he's been above them. That was his only mistake of the game, and you could assign equal blame to Rafael.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rafael can be blamed for the second goal, but it was still brainless from Jones.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
His defensive positioning (or lack thereof) often puts us in a lot of trouble. But it's not this part of his game that is infuriating. Why does he insist on hitting diagonal 40 yard long balls every time he has the ball? He isn't Scholes! There were so many times in the game where he hit it to an opposition or hoofed it out of play instead of playing the simple pass to one of our midfielders crying out for it!
Its a cover for hoofing. He's not confident enough to play it on the deck so he aims it far away in the air, that way if it goes wrong the ball aint close. It shows fear.