Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig Ward

This isn't on Jones imo, but Southgate is a moron.

He's just forced himself back into the England picture with some excellent performances for his club, and he wants to solidify that position with the world cup just over 6 months away. The management should have assured him that missing this pointless friendly with a strapped up thigh wouldn't impact his place.
Agee. Southgate has stated Jones is his best defender, if fit he'll be going. In this instance, Jones/southgate looked at the bigger picture and realised playing half fit would likely cause an injury, which in turn will lead to less game time.

Poorly managed by England, Man Utd, and Jones. England shouldn't have played him half fit, UTD should have pulled him out and Jones should have had common sense not to play on injured.

While Gomez/Maguire done well (albeit playing 7 defenders made life a little easier for them), they wont start ahead of a fit Jones in a W/C

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Disappointing to hear that

Can’t fault jones willingness to play.
In a meaningless friendly and having to take 6 injections to do so? Yes you can.

He is fully aware that he is one of our first choice CB's and that we might need him for the weekend.

Elokobi

He's an idiot. For someone with a lengthy injury record why the feck is he taking injections for a friendly?

andy0

"I am not an angel and I had players injected to play official matches, crucial matches, but a friendly... to get six local anaesthetic injections to play a friendly, I've never heard of that.

"Phil Jones had it, and had it before the match, and after 15 minutes he was out and tomorrow he is out."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42030913

Zlatattack

Very dissapointed with Jones. He's a professional footballer, he should know better.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Taking jabs to play in a friendly.
Jones and Southgate don't have a brain between them.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Think seeing his pal Smalling get kicked out easily made him determine to prove himself in front of Southgate, truthfully he'd be better off impressing Southgate by performing for us.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jones should know better, he knows how injury prone he is and the risk is stupid. Southgate is a moron too

PoTMS

Everyone involved in this debacle are brainless morons, including our very own Phil. Other England players pulling out with chipped fingernails and yet they take a massive risk on this injury prone defender in order for him to play some meaningless friendlies.

redom

Very strange for Jones to go that far for a friendly, especially with his injury record you would think he'd be a bit more self preserving, with Rojo on his way back it might be tough for him to get back in depending how long he's out for.

Darkhorsez

Just watched the presser and Mou really didn’t look happy about this and I sensed he placed some of the blame with Jones - although he did not specifically say as much. What a crappy decision all round for him to be in such pain even during the warm up! Defies belief really and very odd.

Hansa

Jones might be the type who views England as the pinnacle, dreaming of captaining the side in a major championship. I can find no other explanation for his desire to play through injury.

The Red Roman

I think it is harsh to blame Jones for this. Ultimately he wants to stake his claim for a World Cup place, there is competition in his position, Southgate has warned players that they will lose their place if they don't play or drop out, and without a doubt he will be aware of the fact that he has a reputation for being a 'sicknote' player. He is the type that will put his body through it, it's partly why he is such a good defender and also probably why he hasn't fulfilled his potential either.

I think the England medical staff have the duty to protect the player from himself and look after him better than this. It is an important game, but not important enough to risk a players injury. I am surprised they injected him considering they had other alternatives who could play and it was just a friendly game, I think it poor by them and Mourinho is right to call them out publicly on it.

POF

Based on Southgate's post game comments that he was "fine" and "no worse than before the game" it was obvious he was in arse covering mode and knew he'd messed up.

It was a scandalous decision to play an injured player in a friendly, injections or not.

chb23

Jones is an idiot. If I was mourinho I'd be pissed at him too.

He's injured for the majority of the past few seasons and yet he wants to take injections to play a friendly, that's pure stupidity.

prath92

Jones is an idiot. If I was mourinho I'd be pissed at him too.

He's injured for the majority of the past few seasons and yet he wants to take injections to play a friendly, that's pure stupidity.
you mean someone actually cares to play for the country. Wow. What a dick.

Irrational.

Jones was stupid not to pull out of the friendlies, and its probably going to cost him. Harry Kane, Winks, Alli, Sterling, Delph and Henderson all pulled out with "injuries" and Jones should've been one of the first to rule himself out, especially considering his record. He's going to lose his place in the team and he has no one to blame but himself. All for the sake of a completely pointless and meaningless friendly that will add nothing to the bland brain of Southgate.

AndyJ1985

He's a fecking moron. Risking his fitness for a meaningless friendly is unacceptable. Hope Jose lays in to him.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
feck Southgate.
The guy is a chicken nugget without any dip. Bland and fecking boring.

England will be lucky to get past the group stage at the World Cup with that parrot nosed prick in charge.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He's a fecking moron. Risking his fitness for a meaningless friendly is unacceptable. Hope Jose lays in to him.
He is an idiot, but we don’t know the circumstances of the situation. If things were reversed and it was Mourinho in charge and He refused the injections, Jones’ United career would probably be finished.

Southgate may have put him under the same pressure.

Either way the manager and player were fecking stupid.
You could understand it for an important qualifier or World Cup match, but a friendly? fecking idiots :lol:

Andersons Dietician

Honestly, he’s just an idiot. It’s a god damn friendly and you’re taking 6 shots so you can play. If it’s a crucial qualifier, or a major tournament game that is a crunch game then yeah do what you have to do but seriously this only compounds the idea that the boy is brainless.

ZAGREB RED

Mourinho is right, 6 painkilling injections to last about half of a friendly is ridiculous. Why did the player agree to this, or of it was his idea then what was he thinking of.

Hammerfell

He is an idiot, but we don’t know the circumstances of the situation. If things were reversed and it was Mourinho in charge and He refused the injections, Jones’ United career would probably be finished.

Southgate may have put him under the same pressure.

Either way the manager and player were fecking stupid.
You could understand it for an important qualifier or World Cup match, but a friendly? fecking idiots :lol:
Mourinho isn't stupid enough to let a player have 6 injections for a fecking friendly. Southgate is a moron and his lack of concern for a player's wellbeing is frankly alarming.

stepic

Stupid from Jones but I can understand why he would want to play.

Utterly ridiculous from Southgate though. He's an idiot.

King.of.Red

I can understand that playing for your country is important and makes you proud but Jones certainly should know himself better how injury prone he is.
he is really fecking idiot and Southgate too. feck, he stupidly must want to show Jose his philosophy about playing through pain. :D brainless Jones....

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm sure injections are used more frequently than we'd like, but it seems silly to use them for a friendly. Jones needs to be less reckless with his body, if he breaks down again soon as much as I'd be sympathetic and frustrated for him I'd also feel he could have taken better care to avoid putting himself in harm's way.

Also feck Southgate.

Fully Fledged

Mourinho isn't stupid enough to let a player have 6 injections for a fecking friendly. Southgate is a moron and his lack of concern for a player's wellbeing is frankly alarming.
I said this when he went off. It irritates me no end how little international managers seem to care for the long term condition of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.