FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Preston North End 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 16 February 2015

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Oh Jesus Christ. Another ridiculous post.

Why you haven't been banned from the United forum is beyond me considering your habit of making posts which are bound to get a reaction.
He's a WUM, we should ignore him.

siw2007

It wasn't a great performance and it was a real shame to concede that goal just after half time but we showed real character in getting back into the game and Rooney did well to lead it. Moving Fellaini up front and bringing on Young turned the game in our favour, it wasn't pretty but it was very effective and sometimes thats all we need to win a game. Don't think there was much debate over Herrera's goal, Rooney wasn't obstructing the view of the goalkeeper. It had to be a penalty too, Rooney dived but had to jump out of the way of the challenge. Davies should have been sent off for that challenge on Rojo also.

Will have to play a lot better to beat Arsenal next round but believe we can do it!!

buckooo1978

width won the game....

bringing on Young for Falcao was the game changer

apart from that we were largely shite and predictable

special mentions to Daley Blind who was superb and controlled the game and to our fans who were great as usual

Ixion

Oh Jesus Christ. Another ridiculous post.

Why you haven't been banned from the United forum is beyond me considering your habit of making posts which are bound to get a reaction.
His post really wasn't that bad. Plenty will make arguments for that first goal being disallowed.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Nice to see team reacting positively after their goal and not panicking instead. Though Rooney's touches were not so good overall but he in forward position provides so much options. Liked this formation as well. In same formation, against lesser physical sides, if we replace Fellaini by Mata, we can see lot of intricate play and a type of football which should please fans. Fellaini proved how crucial he can be though. It is really pain for defenders when crosses are fed to him at far post. Very good option as plan B or against physical teams.

Devil may care

Once we went 4-4-1-1 we looked much better, Ashley Young coming on and Ander moving central helped spark us into life I felt. Rooney and Fellaini as the target & the 10 worked well enough and was more effective than any combination of the big name strikers we have seen this season.

I have to say though the defense still makes me panic every time the ball gets near them except for Shaw. Smalling had some strong moments but too many mistakes and Rojo was even shakier IMO, something has to be done about it in the summer.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
His post really wasn't that bad. Plenty will make arguments for that first goal being disallowed.
Rooney in no way was obstructing their GK. That was perfectly fine goal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Delighted with that at the end. Pretty poor first half, plenty of control but no penetration. Instant change the second we switched to a 4-4-2 and took Falcao off. Falcao at this point should probably be 5th in the pecking order as a striker - behind Rooney, RvP, Wilson and Fellaini. Useless really. Think he could be decent in the set up we finished the game in, but then as a player both RvP and Rooney are easily better then him so there's no point in keeping him.

The way we played the last 30 minutes or so, same with against Burnley, is how we should start games (formation wise). Pace and quality in wide areas and playing with a purpose, not keeping possession for possession sake. We just look much more comfortable doing that all around.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
There shouldn't be an argument. Rooney wasn't interfering or even looking to interfere in the goal.

Plus that last of I love Keown screams of attention whoring.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't know what the feck LvG has been feeding Young and Fellaini but I think he should give whatever it is to Falcao. Seriously though has been one of our best players this year, he's really stepped up.

Acole9

Outstanding
We were shocking up until the Herrera goal. I didn't know where a goal was coming from and thought we was going out. Luckily van Gaal made a fantastic substitution which totally turned the game on it's head.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So much better in the second half, maybe diamond wasn't the answer all along?
Yep. There's a reason no top team successfully uses the diamond these days. You need pace and width in your team, and you can't have the fullbacks supply all of it. A 4-4-1-1 is a much more balanced formation, and we have the players for it anyways.

Dylan94

I think LvG just needs to accept that Manchester United play best with two wingers which is what we had after going a goal down. We just do. 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 that's just how we play best.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We were pretty piss poor.

Just not quite as bad as Preston, or Martin Keown.

kps88

The PNE manager has said Rooney was not in the way for the first goal and it should have stood. Hope that puts any argument to bed.

Hopefully this game is a turning point when it comes to our lineup. I'm going to be very worried if we go back to Rooney in midfield and RVP/Falcao up front in our next game now.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Rooney in no way was obstructing their GK. That was perfectly fine goal.
He wasn't obstructing him but the keeper hesitated to dive because of Rooney so you could still argue that he interfered with play. I don't think he did personally but I could understand if others did.

nemanja15

Played to our strengths in the second half, and Preston couldn't cope. Rooney and Fellaini stretched their defenders up top as they were unsure whether to get tight or drop off them because they are such different players. The two of them are actually a very good combination.

Also, a side note - loved seeing the spirit between the players and staff on the pitch at the end there. Not sure you'd have seen that (or the second half renaissance after going 1-0 down) last season.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Two goals that shouldn't have been goals. You were poor until they scored. They should have had at least one player sent off. Rooney is still your best striker. I love Keown.
Harsh on De Gea! Valencia's deflection fooled him, and couldn't react well. Shouldn't have been goal, but what you gonna do?

Puzzled about second though...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why is LVG talking about long balls, stop it. Preston didn't really play long ball football!

Irrational.

Yet again the result is better than the performance.

Preston didn't offer much apart from the goal. We showed good heart.

Switching Fellaini up front and bringing Young on changed the game.

Rooney (dive aside, and yes it was a dive), was excellent otherwise. Herrera put out a statement with his performance. He did really well and showed plenty of endeavour.

Angel di Maria and Falcao should hang their heads in shame, they just aren't doing it for us at the moment. So much for being our 'star' players. Falcao has lost all semblance of movement, touch, pace and clinical finishing.

Di Maria, on the other hand, plays the game like he's still in La Liga. He's unable to ride too many challenges - he's going to get kicked around. He's also a bit cowardly in the 50-50's, which the brutes like Davies and some of the other tough lumps in the Preston team will lap up.

I think we'll do better against Arsenal at home. I would've preferred that, rather than something like Blackburn away - we're far too easily intimidated.

Last edited:

matt23

Happy enough with that, cup's got our name on this year.

stepic

He wasn't obstructing him but the keeper hesitated to dive because of Rooney so you could still argue that he interfered with play. I don't think he did personally but I could understand if others did.
If the keeper hesitated that's his own error. Rooney did nothing wrong.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
The broadcast from the BBC was disgraceful. Martin Keown is a xenophobe. Every touch from Falcao, Rojo and Di Maria was questioned criticised or questioned whether their heart was in it. Every Englishman's over hit pass was great vision, good effort or someone else's fault. It was really poor and distasteful in all honesty.

The game - Man Utd were the clear and deserving winners, not that the BBC would accept it. Preston should have made it 2-0 however and really put it on us. They didn't, the inevitable came.

Thought Rooney was average at best. The first goal could have been offside on any other day. The penalty was a dive, though he had to move out of the way.

Felt sorry for Falcao. Poor service to him as the right side suffered with Valencia's inwardness, most 1st half service came Rooney's way and left Falcao to drop deep and then his substitution changed the game but not because of his departure but because the shape changed. Young came on and wide support play overwhelmed PNE and chances came. I have no doubt Falcao would have thrived in Rooney's situation also.

Fellaini was anonymous in the first half and a battering ram in the second. Great option when we need a basic, strength and high ball option but not first team standard in big games.

Di Maria or Blind were probably my MOTM's as they were consistently at a higher standard than anyone else on the pitch.

Minimalist

Two goals that shouldn't have been goals. You were poor until they scored. They should have had at least one player sent off. Rooney is still your best striker. I love Keown.
Stop trolling :lol:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Niall, I used to post these post match threads, any chance you can stop doing it so perfectly on full time, I used to feel important.
Sorry, you've been replaced by a machine. One step closer to making all of you automated! :)

rooney2009

We are in the next round and we just have to start more positively,we were too cautious in the 1st half

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The broadcast from the BBC was disgraceful. Martin Keown is a xenophobe. Every touch from Falcao, Rojo and Di Maria was questioned criticised or questioned whether their heart was in it. Every Englishman's over hit pass was great vision, good effort or someone else's fault. It was really poor and distasteful in all honesty.

The game - Man Utd were the clear and deserving winners, not that the BBC would accept it. Preston should have made it 2-0 however and really put it on us. They didn't, the inevitable came.

Though Rooney was average at best. The first goal could have been offside on any other day. The penalty was a dive, though he had to move out of the way.

Felt sorry for Falcao. Poor service and then his substitution changed the game but not because of his departure but because the shape changed. Young came on and wide support play overwhelmed PNE and chances came. I have no doubt Falcao would have thrived in Rooney's situation also.

Fellaini was anonymous in the first half and a battering ram in the second. Great option when we need a basic, strength and high ball option but not first team standard in big games.

Di Maria or Blind were probably my MOTM's as they were consistently at a higher standard than anyone else on the pitch.
That's a stretch at best, he was criticising our english players as well. Saying Rooney interfered and dived etc.

stepic

I thought Di Maria was really good tonight. Was involved in most of our best attacks.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 474 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Preston win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Preston 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Preston 0:3 Man Utd