FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Preston North End 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 16 February 2015

caid

Our midfielders digging our strikers out of a hole again. I guess Fellaini was technically a striker today though.
Falcao was poor, dont see a way back for him at this stage. Just looks kind of demoralised, he isn't making the runs to get on the end of chances anymore so cant see him scoring really. Always goes down too easy when trying to hold the ball up too. Was lucky on a few occasions to get a free kick. Tends not to most weeks and its a bit disappointing that he hasn't copped that he cant go down so easy yet. Anyway, cant see him being here next year.

Thought fellaini was pretty poor in the first half, he looked much stronger after being moved up front and finished the match well.
Maybe with the lack of games it took him a while to get going.
It wasn't a bad game by a lot of players but wasn't good either really. Blind, Herrera, Shaw and Rojo were all ok but nothing more imo.
Smalling and Valencia were great outside of a few pretty big feck ups. Kind of felt valencia could / should have done a bit better on the goal and the back pass was pretty terrible. Kind of let himself down with them mistakes after a great game otherwise imo, was guilty of slowing the ball down way too much at times too though which is an issue.
Smalling was great outside of 5-10 mins when he seemed to just panic and looked an accident waiting to happen.

Rooney and di maria looked better and more dangerous than they have in a while. Hopefully they stay in them positions now.

Mostly happy with that performance.

Walters_19_MuFc

Similar to the game vs Burnley. Wasn't great in the first half. Moved it too slow, predictable, didn't create many chances. Second half, we upped our tempo when Preston scored, and I felt we looked a lot better when we went to a 4411 formation, where we stretched Preston and got crosses in.

All in all, we weren't great, but as Van Gaal said, we showed great spirit to come back, and the main thing is that we're through to the next round.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Needed a few breaks from the ref tonight, but a win is a win and on to the next round, where 200+ posts await the Welbeck thread
Not sure about the ref comment.

Firstly no one seems sure on the interfering with play 'rule'. If the keeper hadn't hestiated I doubt we'd even be talking about it. It doesn't make it offside just because he did.

Second goal Fellaini definitely didn't foul the defender compared to other physical tackles Dowd was letting slide.

Third goal was a dive which can't really be defended (despite Phil Neville's best attempts). However Dowd also dropped a bollock on Davies blatant second yellow, so we'll call that even.

Sylar

Need to play with the urgency we showed at 1-0 at the start of game. Blitz teams with wave of wave of attack instead of boring ourselves with possession between our defenders before hoofing it.

Rooney scores when up top (albeit a pen though he won it from being there), Herrera scores from midfield, Fellaini scores from behind striker, assists from our wingers who put in crosses / passes from wide.

Yeah, a comefrombehind win :D

Too many people are making too much about the Rooney penalty decision when they should be making more from Dowd just not doing anything to Davies who should have been sent off. Ridiculous.

Ringo 07

Rooney, Di Maria, Young, Fellaini, Herrera, Blind. That should be the front six for our next fixtures. Stick with it.
This. For the first time this season probably we looked like a proper team in attack for the last 30 minutes of that game. Van Persie can come in at some point if any of the above 6 mentioned under perform against Swansea.
Falcao, Januzaj and Mata have all blown their chances of being in the starting line-up and it's time to stick with the team that was gelling for a change in the last 30 minutes in that game

Dominos

Took us an hour to create a chance on goal against Preston...

Credit to LVG for the Young sub and moving Fellaini up front, changed the game. Shame we had to see a complete turnaround though, would be nice to play well from the start.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We had to go behind to wake up, but I'm glad we didn't allow ourselves to be embarrassed by lower league opposition. Man Utd should not have to claw their way back into it against Preston but at least we showed the spirit to do so. The changes in personnel and system changed the game. We looked more cohesive playing 4-4-1-1 with two orthodox wingers and a big man to win knock ons playing off Rooney. It may be direct but in our past two games its worked well for us and we need to think about adopting it full time.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Not sure about the ref comment.

Firstly no one seems sure on the interfering with play 'rule'. If the keeper hadn't hestiated I doubt we'd even be talking about it. It doesn't make it offside just because he did.

Second goal Fellaini definitely didn't foul the defender compared to other physical tackles Dowd was letting slide.

Third goal was a dive which can't really be defended (despite Phil Neville's best attempts). However Dowd also dropped a bollock on Davies blatant second yellow, so we'll call that even.
We have seen offsides given in plenty of situations like that, all down to refs judgement. If we were on the other end of a play like that we would be screaming bloody murder.

Whether Dowd let other fouls go, again we have seen pushes given IN THE BOX for plays like that.

Third goal, probably the one thing that made it look good was the speed with which it happened and that Rooney did not over sell it.

dsch

Kevin Davis! I assumed he must have retired and forgot how damned annoying he is.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
We have seen offsides given in plenty of situations like that, all down to refs judgement. If we were on the other end of a play like that we would be screaming bloody murder.

Whether Dowd let other fouls go, again we have seen pushes given IN THE BOX for plays like that.

Third goal, probably the one thing that made it look good was the speed with which it happened and that Rooney did not over sell it.
Have we? I actually think that sort of influencing in play should be given as offside more often, but it feels to me like it never is.

Surely the ref has to stick to the consistency levels he sets for himself within that game? You could just as easily say many other examples haven't been given in the past.

I actually thought the peno was a stonewaller in real time. Even if it was a dive, the keeper was stupid diving in like that and giving Rooney and the ref the decisions to make.

Will Absolute

Rooney in no way was obstructing their GK. That was perfectly fine goal.
Not really a question of obstruction.

In the split second the action unfolded, the keeper can't be expected to say to himself, 'Rooney is offside, so I can ignore him, and dive to my right as if he wasn't there. " He's more likely to think, 'I can't dive to my right, because if I do, Rooney will tap the ball into the opposite corner.'

So Rooney's presence may have influenced the outcome.

red_devil83

Not really a question of obstruction.

In the split second the action unfolded, the keeper can't be expected to say to himself, 'Rooney is offside, so I can ignore him, and dive to my right as if he wasn't there. " He's more likely to think, 'I can't dive to my right, because if I do, Rooney will tap the ball into the opposite corner.'

So Rooney's presence may have influenced the outcome.
The keeper should know the rules though and ignore Rooney and dive for the ball, knowing that Rooney can't touch it. It's one of those 50 /50s where you think its a bad decision when it goes against you and it's by the book when it goes for you.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Finally LVG has landed on the moyesy tactic, wingers and felli in the box! At last we can play to our potential!
Hardly a Moyes tactic. Moyes was too worried about what people would think if he put Fellaini up top. Using wingers like we've done for about 30 minutes in each of the last 2 games is what we did for the last 25 years under Fergie. Fellaini being a good target man doesn't make it a long ball or Moyes-tactic.

Crashoutcassius

Hardly a Moyes tactic. Moyes was too worried about what people would think if he put Fellaini up top. Using wingers like we've done for about 30 minutes in each of the last 2 games is what we did for the last 25 years under Fergie. Fellaini being a good target man doesn't make it a long ball or Moyes-tactic.
Actually wide play and fellaini was what Moyes everton were so good at. I didn't say anything about long ball, you said that. Moyes was all about crosses and fellaini

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
As the rule stands , perfectly good goal.
Personally I think it is a shite rule, how can you stand in the six yard box and not be interfering?

bosnian_red

Actually wide play and fellaini was what Moyes everton were so good at. I didn't say anything about long ball, you said that. Moyes was all about crosses and fellaini
Thought you meant a Moyes United tactic.. Anyways, while yes, generally it was similar technically how Fergie's United and Moyes' Everton played, there was still a big difference in how we were always more attacking mentally and threw men forward for the goals while Everton was always more cautious defensively and all that. With Van Gaal when we've used wingers, we have looked a lot more like Fergie's teams then Moyes.

bosnian_red

As the rule stands , perfectly good goal.
Personally I think it is a shite rule, how can you stand in the six yard box and not be interfering?
Well the replay showed, keeper had a clear view of the shot and Rooney wasn't in his way and didn't make contact with the ball. His presence probably bothered the keeper as he wasn't sure if he'd touch it, but I still think the keeper made more of a mess of that then anything.

ravelston

Obviously not offside as the rules stand now.

"Ronaldo" dive - either keep running and get solidly taken out or dive over the leg and avoid the potential injury.

Why won't Valencia go past people any more (couple of examples in the second half excepted)? It was embarrassing seeing the amount of space wide on the right with Preston clearly knowing that they didn't need to defend it. On many occasions watching him trotting back while the "attack' was going on wide on the right - just awful.

Trizy

Falcao is gone, simple as. Even if he signs to Spurs next season and bangs in 15 goals he adds absolutely nothing to the games he doesn't score, its like playing with one less man up top.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

:rolleyes: Pathetic.
Wow. Some real ABU agenda there. Offside goal? Erm, no. BBC covered that extensively. Dodgy penalty? Erm wasn't it 'intent' when Stevie G got one against Sheffield United seven seasons ago?

Kostur

海尔的老板

:rolleyes: Pathetic.

:lol:

Wasn't aware that Keown got job at Mirror as well. Also, brave Preston. Who the feck was brave there? Davies? cnut who should've been sent off within first 20 or 30 minutes of the game? It's almost as if somebody from Preston found cure for aids and we were the bad guys trying to steal it from them. Boo fecking hoo.

caid

Well the replay showed, keeper had a clear view of the shot and Rooney wasn't in his way and didn't make contact with the ball. His presence probably bothered the keeper as he wasn't sure if he'd touch it, but I still think the keeper made more of a mess of that then anything.
Have to agree with this, if the keeper went for hererra's shot he probably would have saved it. If rooney touched it then it'd have been offside. Standing rooted to the spot certainly wasn't the right reaction, whatever was.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 474 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Preston win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Preston 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Preston 0:3 Man Utd