FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Preston North End 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 16 February 2015

buckooo1978

wow, surprised that Blind hasn't featured in the MOTM vote - thought he was very good for the whole game

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The broadcast from the BBC was disgraceful. Martin Keown is a xenophobe. Every touch from Falcao, Rojo and Di Maria was questioned criticised or questioned whether their heart was in it. Every Englishman's over hit pass was great vision, good effort or someone else's fault. It was really poor and distasteful in all honesty.
Yep, it was appalling. I went looking for the 5 Live commentary on the red button but no joy and nearly muted it.

You can tell BBC almost never televise live football, they're awful at it. Garbage punditry.

red_devil83

Finally, decent performance in the second half. If this game doesn't relegate Falcao to the bench permanently then I don't know what will. Looks an absolute donkey. No touch, no movement, no pace, can't hold it up well, can't finish. Basically offers nothing.

It's clear that Rooney up top gives so much more than RvP or Falcao. He's on to through balls from DiMaria which we haven't seen from either of the dynamic duo. He moves and he still gives you that defensive workrate. I hope LvG sees things the same.

Love Herrera in midfield. He might give it away occasionally but he makes things happen. He's busy and he's forward looking.

Must say, the big Fella is winning me over. Especially against big teams (physically).

Pleased that van Gaal made the necessary changes. He must be close to a decision on Falcao. Young looked bright when he came on.

actually posted in the right topic this time

RyRy11

Two obvious realisations after this game:

Falcao shouldn't start a game until he can come on a s a sub and show his skill. Not saying hes shite or should never start but hes added absolutely nothing to the team so far and we looked much better as soon as he came off.

Playing with one striker up top and two wingers (rather than two up top and no wingers effectively) is much better for creating chances. We looked much more comfortable a fluid playing that way and it shows with the three goals we scored.

wiz4231

falshit should not start again for a very long time!!
If Falcao had stayed on and Fellaini come off for Young, we still would have won. Fellaini was not the difference the change of formation was, wide men with overlapping fullbacks and a CM pairing.

Moonred

If we were in good form, this win would have been lauded as a typical 'good team away from home tricky FA cup winning performance'.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Ashley Young singlehandedly won us that game along with whoever decided to bring him on. And basically we're in the semi finals now. Because we never loose against Arsenal at home. That's just not happening.
Take it easy. One game at a time please… don't jinx us:)

JUPITER

:lol: Another golden post match interview from LvG.
It made me nervous. Kind of like he was reluctant to admit how much better we were when the change was made...

Also the 'I don't always have a pace for Fellaini' made me feel a bit nervy that we'll be seeing more of RvP and Falcao. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
We have the players and ability to play exciting, attacking football. The last 30 minutes show that but it looks like we just have a stubbornly cautious, dare I say defensive, manager.

Just fecking go for it damn it!

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
In fairness to him he stuck up for Rooney on both occasions.
He was hypocritical and contradicting himself throughout the match to be fair, lauding Davies for diving while still criticising Rooney for diving. Gary Neville has done the same thing to De Gea but we do not call him a xenophobe.

Jaytay

The broadcast from the BBC was disgraceful. Martin Keown is a xenophobe. Every touch from Falcao, Rojo and Di Maria was questioned criticised or questioned whether their heart was in it. Every Englishman's over hit pass was great vision, good effort or someone else's fault. It was really poor and distasteful in all honesty.

The game - Man Utd were the clear and deserving winners, not that the BBC would accept it. Preston should have made it 2-0 however and really put it on us. They didn't, the inevitable came.

Thought Rooney was average at best. The first goal could have been offside on any other day. The penalty was a dive, though he had to move out of the way.

Felt sorry for Falcao. Poor service to him as the right side suffered with Valencia's inwardness, most 1st half service came Rooney's way and left Falcao to drop deep and then his substitution changed the game but not because of his departure but because the shape changed. Young came on and wide support play overwhelmed PNE and chances came. I have no doubt Falcao would have thrived in Rooney's situation also.

Fellaini was anonymous in the first half and a battering ram in the second. Great option when we need a basic, strength and high ball option but not first team standard in big games.

Di Maria or Blind were probably my MOTM's as they were consistently at a higher standard than anyone else on the pitch.
Agree with everything said. Keown was being a dick especially in regards to Falcao.

stu_1992

Decent game, always felt we were in control. Their goal was fairly lucky with the deflection and I didn't think it was really deserved. Good that we were able to step it up after that and get the goals we needed. Falcao had a shocker however, looked much better when he went off. Fellaini would be MOTM for me.

bishblaize

Looked shitloads better with wingers, but imo this is really more telling of how poor our fullbacks are. Zero attacking quality down the wings til we made the change.

Falcao, sorry, but he's running out of chances. Likeable guy but he was poor again and at this point Wilson may as well be getting a run out.

Rojos our best defender.

Rooney - please keep him up front. Nice to have a bit of pace.

Irrational.

I thought Di Maria was really good tonight. Was involved in most of our best attacks.
Not too sure about that mate. He lost the ball on countless occasions. His crosses and through balls had too much on them, and he cowered out of challenges. I think he's finding the transition from Madrid more difficult than imagined.

A few glimpses of his class though, but we didn't pay £60 million for 'glimpses'. He still has a long way to go before he's anywhere near the player he was for Madrid.

Minimalist

Looked shitloads better with wingers, but imo this is really more telling of how poor our fullbacks are. Zero attacking quality down the wings til we made the change.

Falcao, sorry, but he's running out of chances. Likeable guy but he was poor again and at this point Wilson may as well be getting a run out.

Rojos our best defender.

Rooney - please keep him up front. Nice to have a bit of pace.
Rojo's been awesome for the majority of the season. Comfortably our best defender and takes no prisoners.

ChaddyP

Our first come back win since moyes. Looked much better once we took off Falcao. He really makes us ineffective when he plays. Young was great. Valencia looked good aswell once we changed formation. Reminded me of a Fergie team. Pace Direct Goals. Hope we get to see this more often especially against the more shit teams

Dylan94

Care to summarize?
Wasn't really anything specific just a couple of funny moments if you watch it. And he basically said he was pleased with the performance overall. Even the first half where they kept the ball well. Said they were unlucky with Preston's goal and praised the fantastic team spirit and Valencia and Ashley Young's performances.

Ixion

5th away win of the season. 2 of them to lower league opposition but I'll take any at the moment.

I didn't think Falcao was that bad, unfortunately for him the midfield and fullbacks didn't play with any urgency until we went behind so he didn't really have any chances. And it was more the introduction of Young rather than Falcao going off that changed things.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In many games this season we had more and more questions after each game. I think this game might actually give us some answers.

I am a little bit worried that we can’t apply any pressing as a team, a lot of running but Preston did well to keep the ball and move it forward.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Not too sure about that mate. He lost the ball on countless occasions. His crosses and through balls had too much on them, and he cowered out of challenges. I think he's finding the transition from Madrid more difficult than imagined.
At least he's trying to create something. I'll take overhit through balls and losing possession over playing it safe and passing sideways/backwards like most of the team does. Somebody has to take risks.

Blue always red

Started poorly, finished strong. Story of our season so far. Good signs from Di Mara in the last few games, good work-rate and stuff. Fellaini for King.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Wasn't really anything specific just a couple of funny moments if you watch it. And he basically said he was pleased with the performance overall. Even the first half where they kept the ball well. Said they were unlucky with Preston's goal and praised the fantastic team spirit and Valencia and Ashley Young's performances.
Thanks!

Charlie Foley

Not related to the game itself, but before the match Salt and Linegar asked Kilbane why it was 'Preston North End', he gave his answer and then says "Yeah, it's yeah, so eh yeah..yeah it's an interesting fact yeah."

Yeah.

Also feck Davies. Hope they get to the playoff final and he misses the penalty that sees them lose. According to Keown he was 'the absolute best' and 'leaning into your body and then falling over', how is that a skill? My grandmother used to do that when she broke her hip ffs.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Comes down to tempo again, first 15 minutes we looked good and with better weighted passes we couldve got in a few times. After that tempo died and it wasn't until PNE scored did we pick it up again.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good to see us come from behind to win. Good team spirit as well. Just wish they'd start the way they do the 2nd halves. Need some urgency from the start.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Well, the bit at the end where BBC tried to cut him off the interviewer said something along the lines of 'well played', LVG responded that our team spirit was better than our performance.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Awful performance, again. LVG is a donkey. Good to finally see a bit of heart and fight in the team after conceding, but thats down to player pride rather than the clown on the bench.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 474 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Preston win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 20% Preston 0:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Preston 0:3 Man Utd