Premier League Gameweek 1

AndyMUFC

Great win for Newcastle but let's not get hasty. Villa's high line is ridiculous.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
A decent win in the first game and people are losing their minds. I don't think they're good enough anyway but they'll have to deal with Europe this year and haven't had to do that before. It takes a while to get used to that schedule.
I’d be very surprised if they go through the group. I mean unless they get a very easy one that is.

TheRedHearted

Isak looking great here. He's one of the top strikers in the league at the moment.
What a statement after one game.

But really the league is gonna be incredible this year I believe. The top six is super strong, even the top 8. And the teams below seem strong as well.

mav_9me

Newcastle have done well but Villa have self destructed with this ridiculous high line

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The whole Villa defence just fecking stood on the halfway line, watching the ball carrier, waiting for an attacker to run in behind them. :lol:

It's like they've had described to them how teams play a high line, but never actually seen it.

FergiesBoot

Wouldn't have minded seeing Barnes at United, think he's very underrated. I know who I'd prefer between him and Sancho

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Not possible is it? They are in pot 4 no?
You can still have a fairly easy draw if you're lucky enough. Could get something like Feyenoord, Leipzig, Shakhtar.

miked99

What were Villa doing? Absolutely suicidal defending. Newcastle are good going forward but they couldn't have hoped for a more obliging opponent

Dazzmondo

I have to admit I massively underrated Newcastle. They looked fantastic in this game. I do think Villa's high line was a good stylistic fit for Newcastle to exploit, but still, Villa have very good players. Tonali settled into that midfield extremely well, which I wasn't expecting based on what I'd heard about his performances in Newcastle's pre-season. We'll see how they look in the coming weeks but hard not to consider them very strong contenders for CL again after that.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Great win for Newcastle but let's not get hasty. Villa's high line is ridiculous.
This is the caf, kneejerk reactions are to be expected. But the level of doom and gloom reactions in here has been record breaking.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
As thrilled with 5-1 as I am it's a slightly flattering scoreline. We gave Villa a lot of chances we shouldn't have and a better team would have punished us. Definitely need to tighten it up before City.

Lot of positives too obviously - Gordon, Barnes, Tonali, Isak, Joelinton, Wilson had incredible games. Great to see two new boys score.

James35

Newcastle managed to exploit every weakness and mistake of that "defense".
Now can we please do something similar on Monday?
You just know we’ll struggle once the 20 minute mark has come by and we have run out of ideas to break Wolves down. We really need Wolves to attack us and not sit back.

I can’t see us scoring more than one and I’m not fancying a clean sheet either. The defence and GK need some time to get used to each other plus there is always a brain fart in us.

Newcastle are impressive but once Europe starts we’ll see if the can keep the consistency. I still fancy them being one of the three teams battling for 4th along with Us and Chelsea.

Nogho

For me as a swede having Isak, Haaland and Hojlund, all young and scandinavian as main strikers competing for the golden boot is really fun to follow. Quite extraordinary that three such small countries able to produce such talent. When Keane now in Germany the race is open.

lysglimt

Scout
Either Newcastle are much better than I believed, or Villa are a lot worse - or a combination of both

SAFMUTD

That was awful defending by Villa. Suicidal they left so much space back basically any long pass became a one on one with Martinez. It was 5-1 it could've been 8 or 9 if not for Martinez I'm actually surprised Emery didnt adjust it was like he didnt gave a feck about being trashed.

the_cliff

0.56 - 1.07 currently
Yeah I just saw this:

You lot don't look as lethal as you did the beginning of last season, may be because of Jesus missing but I remember you guys absolutely destroying teams within the first 20-30 minutes. It may be because the seasons just started and you haven't hit the ground running as of yet.