Premier League Gameweek 3 fixtures (25th - 27th August 2018)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That was an incredibly strange game.

We were awful first half. So, so sloppy, Rose looked an absolute mess and should have gifted Lukaku a goal. You didn't create much but we looked out of sorts and I was very worried it was another 'meh' performance at OT.

Second half started relatively similarly, but then Kane (hero) scored and yeah, you just collapsed. You could see the panic, United didn't react like teams of old, you could sense the fear.

Lucas was so, so good. United defence couldn't handle his speed, couldn't handle his agility, just such a weapon in these sorts of games where he gets space to break in to. He could be a crucial cog we've been missing if he keeps this up, his speed combined with that low centre of gravity is what we've been missing since Aaron Lennon. He was actually bloody clinical today as well.

3-0 is very harsh on United, no doubt, you do get the sense that it's a self-inflicted defeat. Should have led first half, second half they were practically handing us chances. I don't think we played all that brilliantly at all, some great individual performances from Lucas and Toby though, so to come away with a 3-0 is surprising.

I didn't at all buy the dressing room turning against Jose narrative. I'm not sure I do still, first half United players did look like they wanted it and had something to prove. I honestly think some of the players just couldn't handle the pressure of the game, I'm really not sure how much of it you can put on the manager .. though Herrera at CB was a bizarre decision. It's strange though to see so many Manchester United players who disappear/cack themselves when they're a goal down and fail to take those key chances. I think if Lukaku scores it's a totally different game and very feasible you grind out a win.
Well said.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
As much as I hate Spurs, you don't see United take a beating at home often.

United's defence was a shambles.
Not just their defence. Lukaku is terrible, Pogba thinks he's better than he is to the detriment of the team and I hope for United's sake they still have the receipt for Fred.

Once again Luke Shaw done okay. Always liked him and felt he was a much better option than Ashley Young. Hope he can keep his place all season.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
feck Jose looks like he’s gonna hu

We were awful first half. So, so sloppy, Rose looked an absolute mess and should have gifted Lukaku a goal. You didn't create much but we looked out of sorts and I was very worried it was another 'meh' performance at OT.

Second half started relatively similarly, but then Kane (hero) scored and yeah, you just collapsed. You could see the panic, United didn't react like teams of old, you could sense the fear.

Lucas was so, so good. United defence couldn't handle his speed, couldn't handle his agility, just such a weapon in these sorts of games where he gets space to break in to. He could be a crucial cog we've been missing if he keeps this up, his speed combined with that low centre of gravity is what we've been missing since Aaron Lennon. He was actually bloody clinical today as well.

3-0 is very harsh on United, no doubt, you do get the sense that it's a self-inflicted defeat. Should have led first half, second half they were practically handing us chances. I don't think we played all that brilliantly at all, some great individual performances from Lucas and Toby though, so to come away with a 3-0 is surprising.

I didn't at all buy the dressing room turning against Jose narrative. I'm not sure I do still, first half United players did look like they wanted it and had something to prove. I honestly think some of the players just couldn't handle the pressure of the game, I'm really not sure how much of it you can put on the manager .. though Herrera at CB was a bizarre decision. It's strange though to see so many Manchester United players who disappear/cack themselves when they're a goal down and fail to take those key chances. I think if Lukaku scores it's a totally different game and very feasible you grind out a win.
What is the Lucas pen had been given? We were terrible in the first half due to Jose's radical tactic that we didn't seem to be able to get our head around. Overall I think the result was fair, but the goal line flattering, considering our record at OT I think we have done well. Plus sides is, Toby seems focused, Lucas was brilliant, Son still to come back and Winks back fit. Considering we usually start slowly I am very impressed.

I don't think Jose has lost the dressing room but some players clearly either aren't in form or there is a problem.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
For Utd what's worse than Mourinho playing bus parking football? It's Mourinho playing high press football. At least with the former he knows exactly what he's doing and he does it well. Bringing a new system at this stage is suicidal. Which kind of leaves Jose in a tough position. I suppose it's up to Utd fans sucking it in and enjoying the positive football albeit at the cost of a top four finish.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What is the Lucas pen had been given? We were terrible in the first half due to Jose's radical tactic that we didn't seem to be able to get our head around. Overall I think the result was fair, but the goal line flattering, considering our record at OT I think we have done well. Plus sides is, Toby seems focused, Lucas was brilliant, Son still to come back and Winks back fit. Considering we usually start slowly I am very impressed.
I mean .. it wasn't a penalty. He was just muscled off the ball. Lukaku chance was obviously the best of the first half, it's an open goal .. not a fantastic angle but a striker should be scoring it.

It's a very, very impressive result. Our players held their nerves, it's an amazing start to the season, winning away at OT? Since when do we do that! Lucas/Toby at their best could be such a game changer for us this season, honestly I'm buzzing. Only three games in so I'm not going to get carried away at all, but 3-0 at Old Trafford? You can't ask for more.

We've done brilliantly, but yeah the scoreline was flattering. Like I said, whilst we had a few exceptional individuals, I don't think it was a 'fantastic' performance for us. United imploded after the first goal went in.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We were so dominant in the second half once we got the first goal it was amazing. Utd just folded after what had been a decent start from you lot. 3-0 flattered us but we deserved to win.

Godfather

For Utd what's worse than Mourinho playing bus parking football? It's Mourinho playing high press football. At least with the former he knows exactly what he's doing and he does it well. Bringing a new system at this stage is suicidal. Which kind of leaves Jose in a tough position. I suppose it's up to Utd fans sucking it in and enjoying the positive football albeit at the cost of a top four finish.
I tend to agree with that. Watching us in the first half felt kind of strange. You just knew we wouldn't be able to keep this up for 90 mins.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I mean .. it wasn't a penalty. He was just muscled off the ball. Lukaku chance was obviously the best of the first half, it's an open goal .. not a fantastic angle but a striker should be scoring it.

It's a very, very impressive result. Our players held their nerves, it's an amazing start to the season, winning away at OT? Since when do we do that! Lucas/Toby at their best could be such a game changer for us this season, honestly I'm buzzing. Only three games in so I'm not going to get carried away at all, but 3-0 at Old Trafford? You can't ask for more.

We've done brilliantly, but yeah the scoreline was flattering. Like I said, whilst we had a few exceptional individuals, I don't think it was a 'fantastic' performance for us. United imploded after the first goal went in.
Watch the penalty shout again, it was a push, he wasn't out muscled, if so Jones would have came away with the ball and also a trip on Lucas' leg, look at Jones reaction he was shitting it. Football isn't a game of perfect performances its about taking your chances, mistakes or not, and that's what we did. We were brave and didn't try to park the bus, we tried to play our game and rightly so tried to use Lucas.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
That was such an Arsenal-esque performance. Be the better side, miss an absolute sitter then collapse when the opposition scores

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We were so dominant in the second half once we got the first goal it was amazing. Utd just folded after what had been a decent start from you lot. 3-0 flattered us but we deserved to win.
Lucas though ...

Honestly, I was doubtful whether he could be the player we needed, still early days but so glad that he's proving me wrong. I always thought that end product would be an issue, but he was clinical today and his goal vs Fulham was an absolute peach.

Like I said in the previous post, he's exactly what we've been missing. A proper pacy wide player who turns defenders inside out and gives them nightmares. Hopefully he can keep this up and it's not just a purple patch because that kind of player added to our attacking options? We're in dreamland. Kane could score a ridiculous amount of goals with Lucas opening up space/drawing in defenders.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Lucas though ...

Honestly, I was doubtful whether he could be the player we needed, still early days but so glad that he's proving me wrong. I always thought that end product would be an issue, but he was clinical today and his goal vs Fulham was an absolute peach.

Like I said in the previous post, he's exactly what we've been missing. A proper pacy wide player who turns defenders inside out and gives them nightmares. Hopefully he can keep this up and it's not just a purple patch because that kind of player added to our attacking options? We're in dreamland. Kane could score a ridiculous amount of goals with Lucas opening up space/drawing in defenders.
I hoped that we would start to see what he was really like this season after a quiet start last year - so far he has been better than I had hoped and could be an incredibly important player for us - his pace is absolutely insane and he is very skillful with a great ability to finish. He could be the missing link.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Watch the penalty shout again, it was a push, he wasn't out muscled, if so Jones would have came away with the ball and also a trip on Lucas' leg, look at Jones reaction he was shitting it. Football isn't a game of perfect performances its about taking your chances, mistakes or not, and that's what we did. We were brave and didn't try to park the bus, we tried to play our game and rightly so tried to use Lucas.
I don't think it was a penalty, watched it back a few times. It's the kind where yeah it can be given, but if it happened against us I'd be furious. Jones looking scared doesn't really say anything, he knows what referees can be like when a player goes down, regardless of whether it's a penalty or not.

We did brilliantly, obviously. Such composure after taking the lead, gave away so little to United.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He has a point about showing respect, but what does he think? That he's not going to be criticised for current performances just because he was successful in the past? Him having an excellent record and losing 3-0 today aren't related, it just seems unnecessarily egotistical, it isn't about him.

Those sort of comments don't help anybody, it just opens him up to more ridicule.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He has a point about showing respect, but what does he think? That he's not going to be criticised for current performances just because he was successful in the past? Him having an excellent record and losing 3-0 today aren't related, it just seems unnecessarily egotistical, it isn't about him.

Those sort of comments don't help anybody, it just opens him up to more ridicule.
Is he looking the sack?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Spot on.

But at the end of the day, losing 3-0 at home to Spurs is absolutely unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination. The buck stops at the manager first and foremost, thus he needs to be sacked or, failing that, he should simply resign from his position. A manager of his pride and self-importance can only take so much.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I honestly don't think so. I just think he's a very proud and competitive individual whose ego is working against him now, he can't help but take shots to fight back against the criticism he is getting.
He did the very same thing at Chelsea, his ego cannot blind him so much that he doesn't see how this goes down.

West London White

Supports
Fulham
It is all about Jose. His time has come and gone.

In truth there has only been one manager in the history of British football who has managed to maintain a remarkable level of success for longer than a decade.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I honestly don't think so. I just think he's a very proud and competitive individual whose ego is working against him now, he can't help but take shots to fight back against the criticism he is getting.
Either way, he is a winner with the recent extention. He keeps working and earning his usual wages or he gets sacked and get a nice fee while reminding everyone to respect him

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He did the very same thing at Chelsea, his ego cannot blind him so much that he doesn't see how this goes down.
I dunno, ego can be incredibly blinding. Maybe deep down he does know what this leads to, but he just can't help himself, honestly people can be extremely blinkered to their own flaws/mistakes if they have total faith in themselves.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I dunno, ego can be incredibly blinding. Maybe deep down he does know what this leads to, but he just can't help himself, honestly people can be extremely blinkered to their own flaws/mistakes if they have total faith in themselves.
Also Poch's post match interview seemed very positive one, could easily have said at least something about buying no one.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Pogba thinks he's better than he is to the detriment of the team
What exactly did he do wrong? He was disciplined, did an excellent job covering for Matic, and was your only player who consistently managed to move the ball forward

I swear at this point people are criticizing for failing to be Zidane. It's bizarre

And yeah, Jones on Lucas wasn't a pen for me. There was maybe a penalty later for an illegal screen by Ander on Lucas, not sure if it was inside the box and if it should be a direct or indirect free kick though. Ball going to Alli in great position probably is the reason everyone ignored it

Disagree that spurs were in control in the second half. United had a good chance to equalize right after Kane's goal, and several more to get back into the game after 2-0. Lingard's miss being the worst of the lot. Even in the second half Spurs didn't really play that well. This was more United losing this game than Spurs winning it