Premier League Gameweek 4

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
A few hours ago you said: "Would be absolutely astounded if we get anything." Now you say "We 100% fecked it up." :lol:
Probably because the game starts 0-0 when he posted that and then he posted it after you bottled a 2-0 lead.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A few hours ago you said: "Would be absolutely astounded if we get anything." Now you say "We 100% fecked it up." :lol:

An away draw against Arsenal is a good point, which is all that I've I said. Yes, we could have won it - if Kane's strike had gone in instead of hitting the post, but then so could have Arsenal.

I assume you are duly astounded that we gained a point - yes?
Context makes the appreciation of the result very different, drawing after a 2-0 lead, Kane hitting the post, Sissoko skying it in the end is very disappointing.
Football games are more than just results

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

An away draw against Arsenal is a good point, which is all that I've I said. Yes, we could have won it - if Kane's strike had gone in instead of hitting the post, but then so could have Arsenal.

I assume you are duly astounded that we gained a point - yes?

You're completely ignoring the context in which we took a 2 goal lead.

Yes, I'm happy with the point and honestly astounded by how poor Arsenal were. Total nothing side.

But considering we had that lead, we fecked it up. It was all in our own hands and we panicked and gave them a route back in the game. And what makes it worse is how predictable it was that we would do that.

We had a fantastic opportunity to win at the Emirates and change the whole atmosphere at the club right now and as usual in these situations, we fell just short after showing promise.

Obviously you take the point .. but considering the position we were in, yes it's a feck up.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Clearly a draw there is a decent result for you.
But not when you've been 2-0 up.
Nonsense. The game is played over 90+ minutes. And we only had a 1 goal advantage for less than half that time. Away from home. In a heated North London derby.

Spurs will be more satisfied with the result than Arsenal - so it cannot reasonably be called "failure".

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nonsense. The game is played over 90+ minutes. And we only had a 1 goal advantage for less than half that time. Away from home. In a heated North London derby.

Spurs will be more satisfied with the result than Arsenal - so it cannot reasonably be called "failure".
Sooo being 2-0 up and not winning is no longer a disappointment.

Right.
Got it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Unai Emery has been speaking for a couple of minutes but I have no idea what he is saying.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Spurs got a 2-2 draw away from home in a derby against a top 4 rival. Seems like a decent point to me. Whether they went 2-0 up or came back from 2-0 down doesn't really matter. At the end of the day they got a point in a tough fixture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Your form since January has to be a worry though surely? Isn’t it three or four league wins between then and now?

Pochettino doesn’t sound particularly happy either.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
We are doing spurs-level comedy now we have added that clown to our shitty defence. Man City will hammer us as usual. But it was a fun derby and a point seems fair.

Godfather

Sure

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

For feck sake when you're two goals up the expectation is that you see the game through. Why are you pigheadedly trying to ignore that and focusing only on the overall result?

Obviously yes, without context a point is fine. But any team/manager/player will be disappointed when their team leads 2-0 and ends up dropping points.

Especially considering it wasn't like Arsenal were showing any great ingenuity in attack, they were mostly ineffective with us looking more dangerous on the counter. But we basically gave them a leg up with the Lacazette goal, admittedly their 2nd was decent but for periods in that second half we constantly gave them the ball back and looking as panicky and shaky as I've seen us.

There's obviously positives to take away from this. It was a far more spirited and lively performance than the one we put in at Newcastle and there's clearly life in the team when it comes to the bigger occasions at least. But holy shit do we need to start getting over the line in these situations because it's an absolute joke how many times we throw them away. You're two goals to the good and it's nearly half time, what do you do? Panic like feck and fail to clear it 100 times, obviously giving away a predictable goal.

It's not good enough. It's all well and good coming to the Emirates as underdogs and showing what we're capable of, but then immediately retreating back in to our shells when we have the upper hand isn't ok. That's one of my biggest issues with the Poch era, not enough killer instinct or decisiveness in these kind of games. As a manager he doesn't seem to make good enough subs or influence the game enough, but it's also a personnel issue when we have players who constantly have brainfarts/lack composure.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Oh and what an absolute joke it was that Xhaka stayed on the pitch today.

What was it, 7 fouls? And I have no idea how the one he made on Son wasn't a yellow.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
For feck sake when you're two goals up the expectation is that you see the game through. Why are you pigheadedly trying to ignore that and focusing only on the overall result?

Obviously yes, without context a point is fine. But any team/manager/player will be disappointed when their team leads 2-0 and ends up dropping points.

Especially considering it wasn't like Arsenal were showing any great ingenuity in attack, they were mostly ineffective with us looking more dangerous on the counter. But we basically gave them a leg up with the Lacazette goal, admittedly their 2nd was decent but for periods in that second half we constantly gave them the ball back and looking as panicky and shaky as I've seen us.

There's obviously positives to take away from this. It was a far more spirited and lively performance than the one we put in at Newcastle and there's clearly life in the team when it comes to the bigger occasions at least. But holy shit do we need to start getting over the line in these situations because it's an absolute joke how many times we throw them away. You're two goals to the good and it's nearly half time, what do you do? Panic like feck and fail to clear it 100 times, obviously giving away a predictable goal.

It's not good enough. It's all well and good coming to the Emirates as underdogs and showing what we're capable of, but then immediately retreating back in to our shells when we have the upper hand isn't ok. That's one of my biggest issues with the Poch era, not enough killer instinct or decisiveness in these kind of games. As a manager he doesn't seem to make good enough subs or influence the game enough, but it's also a personnel issue when we have players who constantly have brainfarts/lack composure.
The biggest part of the context is that we were playing away from home against a team that is aiming to finish in in the top 4.

Yes, it's disappointing to get a only get a draw after being 2 - 0 up. But you've jumped from previously saying you'd be "astounded" if we got anything from the game, to now saying of the draw "it's not good enough". You can't have it both ways.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Sooo being 2-0 up and not winning is no longer a disappointment.

Right.
Got it.
Sure, it's disappointing to only draw after being 2 -0 up, I haven't said otherwise. But that doesn't mean that a draw was not a decent result and better for Spurs than for Arsenal.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The biggest part of the context is that we were playing away from home against a team that is aiming to finish in in the top 4.

Yes, it's disappointing to get a only get a draw after being 2 - 0 up. But you've jumped from previously saying you'd be "astounded" if we got anything from the game, to now saying of the draw "it's not good enough". You can't have it both ways.
I'm not saying the draw isn't good enough, I'm saying the way we performed after going 2-0 up was incredibly disappointing. It's more a larger criticism of our ability to see out situations like that, or grasp opportunities which are handed to us. So many times we've been in similar situations where we're close, we're impressing, but we can't go the distance. It's yet another example of that and that's why I'm looking beyond just 'away draw to Arsenal' and focusing on the fact that it's yet another disappointment after being in a strong position.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world or a disaster, it's a solid point. But what I am saying is 'feck, wouldn't it be great if we as fans could feel somewhat confident of seeing these situations out?'. Because this team simply doesn't instil that confidence.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Your form since January has to be a worry though surely? Isn’t it three or four league wins between then and now?

Pochettino doesn’t sound particularly happy either.
Not many in the league, yes, but this ignores the bigger picture concerning our progress in the CL, another top 4 finish and now being back in our true home.

Do we need to pick up our form? Yes. Can we do this? Yes.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Probably because the game starts 0-0 when he posted that and then he posted it after you bottled a 2-0 lead.
It's easy for anyone to comment in hindsight, but the fact remains that his pre-game pessimism proved unfounded.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's easy for anyone to comment in hindsight, but the fact remains that his pre-game pessimism proved unfounded.
Our pre-game form didn't give me any reason to believe the team was up to the task. I also expected Arsenal to be far, far better than they were. If I was an Arsenal fan I'd be furious at that first half performance.

Yes, the result was more than I expected. Yes, I'm still annoyed we messed up a great chance to win whilst we were 2-0 up.

Anustart89

It's quite a feat to be disliked by pretty much everyone on a forum, including your own team's fans, and still have the will to keep posting.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yet Spurs still languish behind United in the table...
Ah, but if course we haven't played Arsenal or city away yet...so the points don't matter.
United are poor, spurs aren't much better.

AJ10

It's quite a feat to be disliked by pretty much everyone on a forum, including your own team's fans, and still have the will to keep posting.
I have no idea how people in India put up with him every time Spurs lose a game, Surely they must be sick of him talking about the famous cheese room.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yet Spurs still languish behind United in the table...
Ah, but if course we haven't played Arsenal or city away yet...so the points don't matter.
United are poor, spurs aren't much better.
But Spurs will likely improve as the season wears on, whilst United likely won't IMO.

Why will we improve? For two main reasons. First because we've been a bit unsettled not knowing whether or not Eriksen and Toby will be staying, but now, with the window closing tomorrow, we know they almost certainly will be staying. And secondly because we've brought in two players - Ndombele and Lo Celso - who are both new to the Prem and new to this country, but sooner or later they'll find their feet and settle in to gain full benefit from Pochettino's coaching..

Robbie Boy

This amazing attack Arsenal were supposedly going to have after signing Pepe.... Nah not seeing it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This amazing attack Arsenal were supposedly going to have after signing Pepe.... Nah not seeing it.
Only 4 games in to be fair, I get where you're coming from and I haven't been sold on Pepe so far, but a lot of the time players coming from abroad in particular do take time to settle down and gel.

Shit, even someone as good as Suarez took a season or so to really get firing. Like I said I don't see 'it' with Pepe yet but I've been wrong about players in the past and it's not uncommon for a player to take a little while, gain some confidence and then show his real self.

Buuuut I do think they're gunna have trouble with the front 3 anyway. Auba is clearly best through the middle but with Lacazette in the side you have to shift Auba out wide where he's less effective.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Kane is always doing that thing of throwing himself in front of a defender and then going down easy trying to win a pen. He puts his one leg right across the front of a defender while running knowing he’s going to get bundled over. Done it again late on today, glad the ref didn’t fall for it.

World Game

So the point of a forum is only to be an echo chamber where popular opinions are allowed? Maybe your goal is to be the most liked on a forum but for other people it is about discussing multiple (differing) views.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Absolutely joke how biased english ex players are. Not one has the balls to call out Englands nr 1 striker being a diver. 2 games in row he tried to cheat himself to a penalty. There is such a double standard because if that was a foreigner like suarez they would go on and on about it. The way Ian Wright spoke on motd makes me think these guys are scared of not being given special treatment when England plays if they badmouth Englands nr 1 striker

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Just got done watching the NLD, good game all round for the neutral. 2-2 a fair result.

How is Xhaka still a starter for Arsenal? Should have probably had around 4 yellow cards during the match. That challenge on Son, utterly ridiculous anywhere on the field let alone your own penalty box and no yellow card :lol:? It's high and borderline dangerous.

Spurs need Walker Peters back asap, Sanchez way out of his depth out on the right as a FB, looked shaky the whole game, why did they sell Trippier?

Spurs midfield is still average at best, I thought this would have been the perfect kind of game for Dier to start, screen the CB's and generally put himself about and put a foot in. Sissoko, great engine and athlete, great running with the ball. Poor at actually playing football, Winks a good squad player, not sure he should be first choice yet. Assuming Ndombele simply not up to the fitness level required by Pochettino yet.

Sokratis and Luiz are going to ship goals, yes Luiz has great distribution, one of the best at CB for it. But overall I do not rate that CB pairing, even with a Xhaka style screening player I still think it looks shaky.

Kane getting a bit of stick in this thread, thought he had a good game given the amount of the football he saw, bar the dive at the end. Spurs best play seemed to involve him, he won the header for the Eriksen goal. Thumped home the penalty in his usual imperious style. Involved in one of Spurs best moves with a quick give and go/one touch passing, and a great tekkers shot with power, against the post.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Not a chance? If we had to pick a combined 11, or should I say if Fergie had to pick a combined 11, I’m almost certain more Liverpool players would get in it.
I think people are genuinely underestimating just how good this Liverpool team are. We got into back to back Champions league finals, and won one, just like United of 07-09. Got 97 points, in a league where the quality is far superior to a decade ago. Take off the blinkers
You’re having a laugh, United had better players, Klopp is doing a sensational job with what he has to work with, he is overachieving massively.
The quality in the league isn’t superior, its a complete myth, shit teams are just spending more money on the same average players they did a decade ago.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
… Spurs midfield is still average at best, I thought this would have been the perfect kind of game for Dier to start, screen the CB's and generally put himself about and put a foot in. Sissoko, great engine and athlete, great running with the ball. Poor at actually playing football, Winks a good squad player, not sure he should be first choice yet. Assuming Ndombele simply not up to the fitness level required by Pochettino yet ....
Dier is not yet available and N'Dombele is injured.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
You’re having a laugh, United had better players, Klopp is doing a sensational job with what he has to work with, he is overachieving massively.
The quality in the league isn’t superior, its a complete myth, shit teams are just spending more money on the same average players they did a decade ago.
Klopp isn't overachieving at all, in fact he's achieving everything he set out to do when he took over 4 years ago. He has the players in place now that can play the way he wants them to play. Who cares if Manchester United had the 'better players' in the past ? It's all subjective anyway. Not to say that even in the past 10 years football has evolved, so we don't know how those United players would have fared in today's game. How many times did we see Ferdinand meander his way into the opposition half totally unopposed ? High pressing, high intensity, & fitter players, all make the Premier League a much tougher league nowdays.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Two of the best wingers in the world, a perfect striker for our system, the best CB in the world, probably best LB in the world, one of the best RBs in the world, one of the best GKs in the world - don't let our seemingly underwhelming midfield fool you (and even then, Wijnaldum is top class and Fabinho has been performing as a fecking great CDM since the second half of last season).

They're not (club) legends like many of your 07-09 players but most of them are still in the absolute elite tier of players for their respective positions. Add Klopp to that, who makes the whole better than the sum of its parts, and you've got a CL winner with only one defeat in the league.