Protests following the killing of George Floyd

TheReligion

Abusive
Isn't there any independent body for these kind of things? Given the current climate it would be the best thing, surely? In order to maintain public trust.
The IOPC are the independent body. The force can self refer if it feels necessary or they can choose to look at it. They automatically become involved in criminal matters or those which involve death/serious injury.

When you cut to the chase of this though what's the desired outcome? There's nothing criminal about it and it seems easily dealt with in house. The public statement from the force sounds perfectly reasonable

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The IOPC are the independent body. The force can self refer if it feels necessary or they can choose to look at it. They automatically become involved in criminal matters or those which involve death/serious injury.

When you cut to the chase of this though what's the desired outcome? There's nothing criminal about it and it seems easily dealt with in house. The public statement from the force sounds perfectly reasonable
Would it not be fair to say that right now confidence in the police is at its lowest in a long time? A simple gesture to forward this to an independent body goes a long way against the narrative that the police out each other before the citizens. It's just a bit tone deaf in the current climate to keep things internally, that's all.

TheReligion

Abusive
Would it not be fair to say that right now confidence in the police is at its lowest in a long time? A simple gesture to forward this to an independent body goes a long way against the narrative that the police out each other before the citizens. It's just a bit tone deaf in the current climate to keep things internally, that's all.
I'm just wondering what you feel would be an appropriate outcome? Is it not one that could by dealt with by the force? The whole thing is on bodycam anyway and the force has been quick to address the matter publicly.

I'm not being snarky. Just trying to see what the end goal is here.

Ludens the Red

Read the comments on here (or any similar post) if you want to remind yourself why you despise half this country

Absolute bizarre comments, its so fecking weird, like why is it bothering them? It’s just not a big deal at all. How is it any different to the kick racism out of football shirts they’ve previously worn or any of the other messaging they’ve done in the past.
But yeah good reminder how without question half of this country are fecking spiteful cnuts.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Nah. Deface it and throw it in the ocean. Statues of slave traders deserve mindless vandalism.
They're inanimate historical objects. They don't deserve or not deserve anything.

No one knew half these statues existed a week ago and now, and now everyone's getting so angry about them as if they are some grand source of power. You have one set of people literally acting as body guards for a statue while another set of people want to throw it in the ocean. It's a lump of metal by the sea. Birds crap on it every day.

In Bristol they has been trying for 40 years. No one listened.
Because that statue also represented someone who funded schools and hospitals and helped to shape the town of Bristol into what it is. It was never a statue glorifying racism. It was a statue of a man from a time when racism was viewed as normal.

That's not to say I think it should have stayed or even care that it was removed...I actually quite like the imagery of tossing racism into the sea, but people are attempting to paint everything as either black or white and if that was the case statues like this would literally be symbols glorifying being a racist, and we would all know that's what they are.

It's been chucked into the sea now so it should be replaced with something more representative of modern day values...or alternatively something that's slightly easier to toss into the sea if people don't like it.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Similar to the kneeling debate in the US. Its casually chalked up as an unseemly intrusion of politics into sport.
I guess they think it's an easy way to dismiss it or to hide their bigotry behind what they try to pass off as valid criticism. You see it with gamers a lot too, they're perfectly fine with Fallout, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear and countless others, but suddenly when the main character of game is gay, a woman or black it's suddenly "politics" being forced in.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm just wondering what you feel would be an appropriate outcome? Is it not one that could by dealt with by the force? The whole thing is on bodycam anyway and the force has been quick to address the matter publicly.

I'm not being snarky. Just trying to see what the end goal is here.
I can't really think of an end goal tbh. By all means the force can deal with it but I'm just questioning how it looks to the public. I was admittedly snarky before because personally my trust in the police is low as hell (no point going into it because it's boring but suffice to say it was one incident in many that just confirmed/instilled what I think about our local officers) and for a lot of people I know it's the same - even some of my family (who are sizeable police and military funnily enough). I guess it depends on individual experiences but when you've got an atmosphere that's fuelling distrust in the police, and the way the service goes about their business, to say that it'll be investigated internally is a little on the nose for me.

Irwin99

Are the comments in the rest of Europe regarding this issue more positive on social media or are they full of 'keep politics out of football/gaming etc'?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I can't really think of an end goal tbh. By all means the force can deal with it but I'm just questioning how it looks to the public. I was admittedly snarky before because personally my trust in the police is low as hell (no point going into it because it's boring but suffice to say it was one incident in many that just confirmed/instilled what I think about our local officers) and for a lot of people I know it's the same - even some of my family (who are sizeable police and military funnily enough). I guess it depends on individual experiences but when you've got an atmosphere that's fuelling distrust in the police, and the way the service goes about their business, to say that it'll be investigated internally is a little on the nose for me.
The problem at the moment is again it isn't a straight forward one to judge. Some people will look at it and see racism, others will look at it and see the police doing their job. Others will look at it and feel they need more context to know where it falls between these two things.

I do think the police make a rod for their own back to an extent because if they don't provide clarification as to when and why they use force or act in self preservation, they open themselves up to be accused of being excessive or targetting groups of people...and they also allow less accountability if one of them does want to abuse their position. I don't really think a statement saying "we're satisfied procedures were followed" or "it's being investigated" cuts it. It's not actually telling anyone anything about what the procedures or guidelines are. The procedure could be "tazer them if they're black" for all we know.

I don't think posting videos to try and incite hatred or mistrust in the police is helpful and nor are some of the angry and confrontational attitudes that are going with it, but at the same time it would help if there was an acknowledgement from the police that these emotions and attitudes don't just spring up in thousands of law abiding people for no reason. They are literally enforcing laws and protecting themselves/others so if they are doing it consistently and fairly it should actually be quite easy to communicate the guidelines as to how, rather than just close ranks

I'm also quite concerned about tomorrow as the extreme right wing loons have inevitably appeared from the woodwork, we've had a week of many people inciting emotions rather than trying to calm them and there'll be a lot of people just out to look for trouble in London. Hopefully it wont go beyond a few yobs throwing stuff but we know the media and Boris will jump on any trouble that crops up and make that the story.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are the comments in the rest of Europe regarding this issue more positive on social media or are they full of 'keep politics out of football/gaming etc'?
I think sports can be a good platform to make political/social /moral statements. But someone who feels 'keep that out of ...'. aren't being 'negative' purely because they have a different view to yours. If they're hateful and discriminatory then sure, that's a real problem. Everyone being 100 per cent in agreement with every single part of your cause, isn't.

fergosaurus

I bet a good amount of those people complaining about mixing football and politics are the same people outraged when a player chooses not to wear a poppy during a match.

AFC NimbleThumb

Read the comments on here (or any similar post) if you want to remind yourself why you despise half this country

Surely no one is actually surprised by this.

I bet a good amount of those people complaining about mixing football and politics are the same people outraged when a player chooses not to wear a poppy during a match.
Game.Set.&.Match.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They're inanimate historical objects. They don't deserve or not deserve anything.

No one knew half these statues existed a week ago and now, and now everyone's getting so angry about them as if they are some grand source of power. You have one set of people literally acting as body guards for a statue while another set of people want to throw it in the ocean. It's a lump of metal by the sea. Birds crap on it every day.
These monuments of slavers were shown outside to commemorate them, while inanimate objects for purely historical purposes are usually found in museums. Regardless, if his contribution to history was large enough, he would already be in a history book or a museum. It has nothing to do with power. It's about respect, baseline level at that.

amolbhatia50k

These monuments of slavers were shown outside to commemorate them, while inanimate objects for purely historical purposes are usually found in museums. Regardless, if his contribution to history was large enough, he would already be in a history book or a museum. It has nothing to do with power. It's about respect, baseline level at that.
If there's a person who brought society mostly harm then they have no business having statues. However, it's an interesting one. Much of the UK's colonial leadership built their empire on pillaging, butchering and discriminating against their colonies. Would the UK remove all their statues if there are any about ? Genuinely curious. Because I agree that when it's an obviously terrible person, it makes sense but what about those cases where the individual was exceptionally good in many ways but also damaging in others.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
They make some good points they do

but it's quite funny watching conservative intellectuals not sure what thats got to do with anything, but, they are? Maybe Loury, but the other guy, really?

make sweeping generalizations and red herrings. They did?

Weird that guys like these sound like Candance Owens. Guess you didn't listen to them..
"The cops don't just pull you out of your car man"
We literally have countless video evidence of cops murder non-threatening citizens for no crime. That's a sweeping generalization.

I watched from the point your link started to the end.

Wolverine

I’m just wondering what the modern day reaction would be from contrarian types to the McPhearson report which found the Met Police institutionally racist (and reaction if there was a similar finding of the police in the states)

Ive read the defence of police tactics with an open mind, I truly have tried and read op eds of things interpreted as police tactics but defended by others and honestly some of the mental gymnastics performed to defend some of the stuff these guys do is some Milgram experiment level obedience to authority. And I think its been a barrier to reform because we cant agree on what counts as police brutality, excess force.

amolbhatia50k

I read that Trump undid a anti discriminatory health care move Obama made? That's why who your leader is does matter.

Hoof the ball

If there's a person who brought society mostly harm then they have no business having statues. However, it's an interesting one. Much of the UK's colonial leadership built their empire on pillaging, butchering and discriminating against their colonies. Would the UK remove all their statues if there are any about ? Genuinely curious. Because I agree that when it's an obviously terrible person, it makes sense but what about those cases where the individual was exceptionally good in many ways but also damaging in others.
Would you advocate for the removal of the vast majority of Roman and Greek antiquity monuments, statues, arches, forums and temples, all which fall directly in the content of your very definition? Or do we make concessions based on modernity? Only modern statues, etc, of this definition ought to be removed. If only modern, why?

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Would you advocate for the removal of the vast majority of Roman and Greek antiquity monuments, statues, arches, forums and temples, all which fall directly in the content of your very definition? Or do we make concessions based on modernity? Only modern statues, etc, of this definition ought to be removed. If only modern, why?
Something being a priceless historical artifact should surely be the main criterion? By which I mean that the piece itself (not what it commemorates) is of historic significance.

There will always be grey areas, but I guess those a-dime-a-dozen copper statues of politicians are utterly expendable, as a matter of principle. What happens now is essentially about struggles over political culture, not these monuments as monuments. The statues are just symbols of that, which is why they provoke such strong reactions on all sides.

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
If we had as many statues around as the Romans and Greeks made, I guarantee you we would bin most of them. The only reason they are valuable today is that they represent a past which we don't know a lot about, and they are one of the ways we can know more. Unless we have some sort of apocalypse which ruins record keeping completely, the more modern statues (from the 20th century and newer) won't mean shit for the future understanding of history.

You can keep a few around, but a statue isn't inherently valuable just because someone makes it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Statue Defenders trending on twitter. It's like a title for a 1980's kids cartoon.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not a big fan of statues. They are specifically kept in place over the generations to commemorate some part of the past, which can obviously be problematic for many in the present. That said, destroying them may not always be the proper thing to do. Best to move them into a museum (or similar location) where they can be properly contextualized into a historical debate about whoever the statue is about. The Genghis Kahn statute in the other thread would obviously be a bit too big to move.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Who has been trying? If enough people actually wanted rid it would've gone. The people didn't want it gone.

The "us and them" thing really is pathetic.
Wasn't it true that most people didnt want the Colston statue in the first place, it didn't get support to be erected and so it was privately funded?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not a big fan of statues. They are specifically kept in place over the generations to commemorate some part of the past, which can obviously be problematic for many in the present. That said, destroying them may not always be the proper thing to do. Best to move them into a museum (or similar location) where they can be properly contextualized into a historical debate about whoever the statue is about. The Genghis Kahn statute in the other thread would obviously be a bit too big to move.
Not necessarily. They could build a big-ass museum that would most likely be named after Genghis Kahn.

Dan_F

Who has been trying? If enough people actually wanted rid it would've gone. The people didn't want it gone.

The "us and them" thing really is pathetic.
I read somewhere that it was protected by English Heritage, so it wasn’t as simple as just getting rid.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I definitely agree with this in principle, but if we're going to place all problematic statues in museums, there won't be room for anything else. I suspect we'll run into the same problem as libraries do with books. Nobody destroys as many books as libraries do, simply because people donate so many that they can't keep and maintain them all. We'd probably have to decide on a few to represent the issue.

amolbhatia50k

Did the Roman and Greek figures only bring only harm? Regardless, I'm wary of removal if it's based on cherry picking of traits. There can be highly influential/great achievers throughout history who may fail on some levels on the moral compass.

Camilo

Wasn't it true that most people didnt want the Colston statue in the first place, it didn't get support to be erected and so it was privately funded?
I don't know... I don't even really care. They're fecking statues, nobody cares.

There's very little forward thinking going on, and a lot of looking backwards. Protesting like this is the UK is only furthering the divide. You can't protest against this, it just needs to be educated out, (which it clearly is judging by recent developments) . The Americans are protesting something physical, we're angry about people in the past not living to our modern standards, which is.....a bit insane?!

Nothing against getting out there and being heard, but vandalism and violence against nobody in particular is stupid. It's becoming a movement of sorts, but there's no focal point here other than "racism is bad", which of course it is. We just need to keep doing our individual parts, keep educating in our day to day and in school.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I definitely agree with this in principle, but if we're going to place all problematic statues in museums, there won't be room for anything else. I suspect we'll run into the same problem as libraries do with books. Nobody destroys as many books as libraries do, simply because people donate so many that they can't keep and maintain them all. We'd probably have to decide on a few to represent the issue.
I totally get why people are bothered with statues but I also don't think that removing them change much. The genuine activist should organize educating campaigns where they expose these historical figures, for example they could have the "Churchill was a vile racist day", "Napoleon stunk and was therefore sent to an island far away day" or "Leopold II was one of the worst human being ever day".

But on a serious note most ancient figures were racist, xenophobic and/or misogynistic. The only thing that we should defintely do is make sure that everyone knows and understand that their moral values aren't accepted today. The rest is for show there is always a good argument to keep or remove a statue or a street name.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
If it was about respect then it would be white people removing or changing monuments because they recognise that they are an afront to black people and so are also an afront to them. It wouldn't be angry mobs scribbling "was a racist" on Winston Churchill or vandalising street signs that are part of people's homes/community, and that in some cases actually have no link to slavery at all, or people standing around literally guarding a statue for some reason. My mind boggles as to how anyone thinks these kinds of actions will bring about anything positive. It'll bring about Boris and the authorities rallying people against it.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't know... I don't even really care. They're fecking statues, nobody cares.

There's very little forward thinking going on, and a lot of looking backwards. Protesting like this is the UK is only furthering the divide. You can't protest against this, it just needs to be educated out, (which it clearly is judging by recent developments) . The Americans are protesting something physical, we're angry about people in the past not living to our modern standards, which is.....a bit insane?!

Nothing against getting out there and being heard, but vandalism and violence against nobody in particular is stupid. It's becoming a movement of sorts, but there's no focal point here other than "racism is bad", which of course it is. We just need to keep doing our individual parts, keep educating in our day to day and in school.
So you don't know yet you are stating things which are not true. And clearly people care even if you don't. Probably best you don't speak for others especially on topics you know little about.

What can't you protest about and how are people going to know they need education when there is no one raising awareness through protest?

Name a successful protest which brought about change that didn't include some vandalism/violence?

How are we going to educate in school without the protests raising awareness and applying political pressure regarding the lack of racial history in the curriculum?

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Knew it wouldn't be long before the gammon came out to play.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Defending Churchill's statue while throwing at Nazi salutes... Jesus wept :lol:

I'm not sure they are nazi salutes watching videos from other angles. Not that it would be surprising mind... They seem to be your standard moronic England fans looking for a fight.

Classical Mechanic

The advocate got 85% of the funding from the public but only after several appeals so had to pay the remainder himself. Safe to say it wasn’t an issue deemed to be of significant importance by Bristolians at the time.